Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 12:07 AM   #74401
Magnum Noel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
My DR is at 44,118 miles, not those wimpy kilometer thingies.
Jus checkin' to see if the Aussie and Kiwi riders are keepin' up.

Don't worry we're still here in the back ground keeping an eye on proceedings
Magnum Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:35 AM   #74402
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Noel View Post
My DR is at 44,118 miles, not those wimpy kilometer thingies.
Jus checkin' to see if the Aussie and Kiwi riders are keepin' up.

Don't worry we're still here in the back ground keeping an eye on proceedings
Second that
Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod
Thumper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:58 AM   #74403
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaadvandmtbrider View Post
2005 DR650, 3400 miles, for sale just down the road, all stock, new battery and rear tire, not too excited about yellow, but what should I pay??
The '05 yellow bikes are cool, fast, and tough. We put 58,000 miles on ours with nary a hiccup.

Sarah

Plug: Let me know if you need an IMS tank:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=865833
Old 03-07-2013, 04:24 AM   #74404
wRnR
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hi evry1, can someone tell me how the DR650 does with a passenger riding with? Comfort? Power? Is it a nice bike for 2?
thanx!

wRnR screwed with this post 03-07-2013 at 04:30 AM
wRnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:34 AM   #74405
jiiassa
machine mechanic

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Honestly, I can't really tell any difference in power between the new carb and the old one, and that's with the gearing change
Theres no big difference in max power but TM40 makes DR much better excelerating and excelerating pump makes cold starts much easier, works like primer.

And my DR has little powerhole between some 2000-3000rpm with BST but not with TM

If TM is in good settings, it takes same gas mileage than BST in stock but works better in cold.

If BST set up is fine for power and cold weather, it takes much more gas.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:42 AM   #74406
jiiassa
machine mechanic

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Hi evry1, can someone tell me how the DR650 does with a passenger riding with? Comfort? Power? Is it a nice bike for 2?
thanx!
Max carrying load is something 155kg...suits for two very little people whose got no luggages.

Im 113kg, one time went 3km to the corner shop with friend who is something 80+kg, it was first and last time drive with passenger..

Rearspring was totally bottom and chain keep worse noise, espesially if upper chain roller is still in place.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:32 AM   #74407
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeCajun View Post
I was just concerned about the 95 psi rating instead of the book rated 120 psi. As Paul Harvey would say: AND NOW YOU KNOW THE REST OF THE STORY, lol.

Thanks for all the posts on my question guys/gals!!
The auto decompress in the DR makes using a standard compression test invalid. You can always do a leak down test.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:05 AM   #74408
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,010
New project guys... Since the 790 is done, and there is now more snow on the ground

Im going to attempt to build a fuel gauge. Basically, I want to tee off the fuel valve, and use a clear tube routed up the back side of the IMS tank near the seat and tank joint, and then vented to in the tank. I will need to tap into the tank near the top, or I will try to find another place to vent outside the tank that will not let water in.

I really don't want to drill into the tank, so Ill probably try to find somewhere else to vent to. Probably will try to find a small round ball that can float on top of the fuel in the clear line. I had a jetski that had an oil tank with a gauge like that, it worked great without any power or excessive tech.

Edit: I dont use the standard IMS tank cap, so venting to a tee on the cap would not work. I use the locking type cap.
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:26 AM   #74409
wRnR
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I'm considering getting a new 2013 DR650 for me and my wife.
I'm 110kg, she's about 55kg. How will the bike do? Will it handle the weight fine or will we kill it?
wRnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:35 AM   #74410
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
I don't think any damage was done running the motor briefly with out oil. The bearings still had oil on them and the motor did not heat up and no load was on it. I would not worry.

Long long time ago, a buddy and I wanted to see how long a 1970 something Toyota would run with out oil (the car was destined for the wrecker). We drained the oil, started the car and put a brick on the accelerator pedal .... It kept running and running, the rpm's would drift because of valve float but it keep going! Then after like a half an hour, we turned it off, drained the coolent and started it up again. It lasted 10 min after that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeCajun View Post
Sorry for the confusion--I just checked and adjusted the valve clearances last summer--no full valve job. I did take apart the whole motor to put in the upgraded metal base gasket. I got everything put back together and forgot to put the oil back in the motor-. Had the bike sit idling for approximately one minute until the clatter of the valves reminded me I had forgot to put the oil back in. I put the oil back in and all seems ok. No smoke, starts just as easy as it always has. Couldn't tell any difference in the power either. I was just concerned about the 95 psi rating instead of the book rated 120 psi. As Paul Harvey would say: AND NOW YOU KNOW THE REST OF THE STORY, lol.

Thanks for all the posts on my question guys/gals!!

DR650 - Eyes open all of the time
Escaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:52 AM   #74411
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,825
I'll ask here before making a totally different thread on it.

I've seen YouTube videos taunting me with excellent dashboards made by owners for DR650's, yet they are always like "here's John's bike! Look at that dash!" ... but no one gets into the metal working aspect of it

Granted, I could figure it all out for myself - it's just simple cutting, bending and drilling...

I don't know why, but I'd like to see either some pictures of a DR650 dash when it's off of the bike (showing the build) or maybe a video of making such a dash.

The most recent taunt I've seen was:

Oh. wait, it's Curtis making both I've recently seen

I guess it would be cheaper to plan it out and have some metal shop plasma-cut and bend some aluminum plate, then I could do the drilling...

I just don't have the tools (or don't think I do) to get a good result. But I want to make one... so... any tips?
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:23 AM   #74412
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
...I want to make one... so... any tips?
If I was going to make such a thing I would first mock it up in cardboard. When I was pretty sure I had it all figured out I might then mock it up in ABS plastic sheet. Using some kind of CAD drawing program can make the whole process go smoother. Once you have a final mock-up or drawing take it to a fab shop and have aluminum laser or waterjet cut, folded and welded.

Consider just fabricating your dash from ABS sheet. ABS that is textured on one side can look pretty good and is easier/cheaper to fab with than aluminum.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning

procycle screwed with this post 03-07-2013 at 10:01 AM
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:57 AM   #74413
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiiassa View Post
If BST set up is fine for power and cold weather, it takes much more gas.
I doubt many get more than 50 MPG with a TM40. (sorry, not sure of the kms per liter conversion) I think perhaps you never had your BST Carb set up correctly. With proper breathing and jetting the BST allows very good power and still delivers good MPG.

True about the mid range gap ... the TM40 is better there. My main complaint with the TM40 is the very stiff throttle action. Very tiring on a long day ... especially riding off road. I hate stiff throttles.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #74414
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I doubt many get more than 50 MPG with a TM40. (sorry, not sure of the kms per liter conversion) I think perhaps you never had your BST Carb set up correctly. With proper breathing and jetting the BST allows very good power and still delivers good MPG.

True about the mid range gap ... the TM40 is better there. My main complaint with the TM40 is the very stiff throttle action. Very tiring on a long day ... especially riding off road. I hate stiff throttles.
My FCR-MX has a very light throttle spring. When I got the bike, he mentioned that he had installed a lighter spring, I think from ProCycle. In fact, I almost find it TOO light. Often times, going slow, I will relax my hand and the throttle doesn't actually close all the way, and I have to make a point of closing it. I wish it was just a little stiffer. :)

Conversely, the throttle spring on my Polaris Outlaw 525 ATV, which uses the same carb, is freakin' STIFF.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #74415
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post
New project guys... Since the 790 is done, and there is now more snow on the ground

Im going to attempt to build a fuel gauge. Basically, I want to tee off the fuel valve, and use a clear tube routed up the back side of the IMS tank near the seat and tank joint, and then vented to in the tank. I will need to tap into the tank near the top, or I will try to find another place to vent outside the tank that will not let water in.

I really don't want to drill into the tank, so Ill probably try to find somewhere else to vent to. Probably will try to find a small round ball that can float on top of the fuel in the clear line. I had a jetski that had an oil tank with a gauge like that, it worked great without any power or excessive tech.

Edit: I dont use the standard IMS tank cap, so venting to a tee on the cap would not work. I use the locking type cap.
It will be interesting to see what you can come up with. For me fuel gauges have only served as a rough guide ... I find actual mileage readings more accurate.

I've run my bike dry a few times ... and always ZERO odometer at fill up.
I've also run my reserve dry, so I know what my range is and know range of reserve as well.

Of course, you have to factor in conditions, head wind, load and road speed. I usually allow a bit of lee way and cushion. The 5 US gal. IMS generally gives 200 to 215 miles before running out. On reserve I can go another 25 to 30 miles. YMMV (after that you have to lay the bike on its side to get that last 2 liters that's hiding in there!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote