Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #74446
TEZZA
ADV B4 DEM/TED

Oddometer: 284
2004 dr 650

Hi all , i am looking at a 2004 DR650 with 54,000 kms ,
What would be the the most kms would you get out of the Suzuki motor , would it get a lot more out of this motor or would it be looking at a rebuild soon.
Thanks Tezza.
Now the Perfect pair!!!!
TEZZA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #74447
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
I'm more used to smaller ergos like on my old KZ440 and my YX600 anyway, but I've also spent quite a bit of time on a bigger GL1200 and a GS850G. The DR is more comfy now on the slab than my YX600 is.
Did you see http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831213?

Regards,

Derek
motolab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #74448
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Bump - Lower rear chain guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman View Post
Hi - my DR is missing the horizontal "block" part of the rear chain guide (vertical plates are OK). Only a complete assembly seems to be available, either OEM plastic parts or Moose or other aluminum aftermarket guides. Cost is about the same .... any recommendations? If you have gone aftermarket and have the stock part and screws that you want to get rid of PM me.

Thanks - dman
Any inputs??

Thanks - dman
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #74449
YankeeCajun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaped View Post
I don't think any damage was done running the motor briefly with out oil. The bearings still had oil on them and the motor did not heat up and no load was on it. I would not worry.

Long long time ago, a buddy and I wanted to see how long a 1970 something Toyota would run with out oil (the car was destined for the wrecker). We drained the oil, started the car and put a brick on the accelerator pedal .... It kept running and running, the rpm's would drift because of valve float but it keep going! Then after like a half an hour, we turned it off, drained the coolent and started it up again. It lasted 10 min after that!
I hope you're right about not damaging my motor . I really only ran it for like a minute and quickly shut it off. I like your Toyota story. Sounds like a guy I know that tried to rev up and do burnouts all the time in an attempt to kill the motor in his old GS 1100. He never succeeded!!!
YankeeCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #74450
saddlsor
my butt hurts

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman View Post
Any inputs??

Thanks - dman
have you seen this? maybe it will give you some idea's.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667646

99 dr350
78 r80
saddlsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #74451
Hesaid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,041
Quick question:

I've searched and come up empty, is there a list of all factory DR colors (or colours if you're into that sort of thing...)? It'd be really handy if such a list included color codes and/or years available. You know, in case one wants to order body parts in other colors or some such. Off the top of my head I can think of:

Grey
Black
White
Yellow
Blue

MV
Hesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:27 PM   #74452
kano650
more cowbell

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEZZA View Post
What would be the the most kms would you get out of the Suzuki motor , would it get a lot more out of this motor or would it be looking at a rebuild soon.
Thanks Tezza.
I've got an 03 with 48,000km on it and its still going strong. A mate had one the same and it blew up at about 85,000km. Its anyone's guess but if you look after it, change the oil and clean the filter regularly i would think 100,000 + would be attainable. I might consider tearing the engine down on mine at about 80,000 and a freshening it up before it dies.
kano650 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:02 AM   #74453
LexTalionis
Inciteful

Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I first tried the Cramp Buster ... and similar devices 25 years ago. On a long, straight, boring stretch of endless pavement they are fine ... but very distracting in a any sort of riding where you are working the bike and throttle. Constantly gets in the way ... almost dangerous ... IMO.

But the MAIN THING IS ... the Cramp Buster does not solve the problem of a TOO STIFF return spring and still requires more force than it should. You can't do fine motor control on the throttle using the Buster. The palm of your hand is not good for accurate throttle control. Fine for steady state droning ... but nothing more, IMO.

The FCR Keihin Carb is much better. Light and easy ... and that is probably why most major dirt bike OEM's used the FCR over the TM. (now most are F.I.)
For only the second time in four years do I disagree with you. I've had these devices - the "fat" variant - on all my four bikes (cruiser/sportbike/dualsport) for the past decade, and would not ride any of my bikes anywhere without them.

Lex
Old 03-08-2013, 12:10 AM   #74454
Chill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesaid View Post
Quick question:

I've searched and come up empty, is there a list of all factory DR colors (or colours if you're into that sort of thing...)? It'd be really handy if such a list included color codes and/or years available. You know, in case one wants to order body parts in other colors or some such. Off the top of my head I can think of:

Grey
Black
White
Yellow
Blue

MV
There have also been silver and red I believe. Have a look here http://dr650.zenseeker.net/DR650History.htm
Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:29 AM   #74455
Chill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEZZA View Post
Thanks Tezza.
It should be good for many many more kms than that if it's been looked after. There was one at Team Moto recently with about 96,000km. It was a yellow 2001 model. I just searched and what a coincidence they have *another* yellow 2001 model but this one has only 34,000km so I'm sure that it can't be the same one.

http://www.teammoto.com.au/used_bike...tock_id=805724
Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:31 AM   #74456
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill View Post
It should be good for many many more kms than that if it's been looked after. There was one at Team Moto recently with about 96,000km. It was a yellow 2001 model. I just searched and what a coincidence they have *another* yellow 2001 model but this one has only 34,000km so I'm sure that it can't be the same one.

http://www.teammoto.com.au/used_bike...tock_id=805724
Its funny how this bike has been rebuilt with only the 34, 000km on it.
Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod
Thumper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:39 AM   #74457
wee-twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Old bars / new bars comparison.

Protaper ADV mid I just installed.
wee-twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:20 AM   #74458
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesaid View Post
Quick question:

Grey
Black
White
Yellow
Blue

MV
You can order several different colors from Procycle. I also use fenders for other bikes. My $5 blue Polisport front fender from Motorcycle Superstore is for a YZ450F.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:00 AM   #74459
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,209
For sale is my FMF Q4 and big header. New retail is $490 + shipping http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html#exhaust
How about $275 plus shipping. I have had it on the DR for a few thousand miles, street dirt, water crossings, not new but in very good shape, no dents, can excellent, all fits well and that big head pipe looks so much better than that skinny stocker

FMF bracket and little spacer included.
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:07 AM   #74460
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper Dan View Post
Its funny how this bike has been rebuilt with only the 34, 000km on it.
Why, I wouldn't be surprised if mine will need a rebuild at that mileage. A lot of wear depends on how hard you ride.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote