ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #74491
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)
 
B.E. Coyote's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Virginia Beach, Va. / Sugar Grove W.V.
Oddometer: 5,278
Lowering links for a big guy.

With my luggage I am around 300#

I'm 5'10 which I know is tall enough to handle the stock height of the bike which in the tall setting is supposed to be 34.8 inches.

After a cogent shock rebuild, a custom seat and a DR350 rear 18" wheel my seat height is a hair over 37" I'd like to get it closer to stock height without losing my farkles.

I see some lowering links from Procycle, Moose etc. Most seem to be aluminum.

Do you think aluminum links would hold my fat ass? Hitting the entire TAT in a few months and I would be more confident on a lower bike, but don't want to get into a jam because a part didn't hold up.
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #74492
TeeVee
His mudda was a mudda!
 
TeeVee's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Miami/Managua
Oddometer: 755
Back to El Monstro, but with Problems

Hi folks, been about a year since I was here, since I've been and still am recovering from the broken ankle.

Well, decided to take El Monstro out for basically the first ride in a year, although a fellow inmate rode her back to my house in November and said she ran fine.

So I start her up, it's 90+ degrees so no choke. started up super rough and belching all sorts of shit out of his ass. won't stay running without the throttle cracked even though I got the engine up to operating temp by holding the throttle open. tried raising the idle speed to max and that will barely keep 'em running.

it's also blowing all sorts of smoke which it never did before, even on the ride m buddy did in november.

so, thoughts and advice from the collective genius?
__________________
______________
'08 DR650
'07 DL1000
TeeVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #74493
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer
 
BergDonk's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Snowy Mountains Oz
Oddometer: 3,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Correction! Not T66 ... but T63 as you say! (Sorry!)
My T63's are made in Czech Republic ... I bought them two years ago.
Michelin is a global company. I have used rear T63s made in Czecho and Thailand. They may also be made in Spain and elsewhere.

The Czecho ones last about 50% longer than the Thai ones, but the Czecho ones also come with the variable Mitas quality control, so some are terrific, and some have knobs peel off and stuff. I quite like them up back, but not enough knob on the front for me.
__________________
shed time IS quality time
BergDonk's DR650 BergDonk's XT1200Z
BergDonk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #74494
greener556
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Iowa
Oddometer: 112
I've got a Vapor with the LED dash and the light are nearly impossible to see. Is there any solution for this, do I need to add a diode?

Thanks
greener556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #74495
greer
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Glasgow, Kentucky
Oddometer: 3,657
We use this transmission jack from Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/450-lb-...ack-39178.html

Raise it just a tad to let the bike sit level or go on up to get one or both wheels off the ground. Use a 1/2" drive ratchet to crank it.

Sarah




Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERRIDER007 View Post
Kind of a noob when it comes to the DR, and I'm trying to get the bike on some kind of stand to take off the front wheel....any recommendations?


I also use a car jack and tie straps to my garage ceiling to stabilize the bike, what are folks using without a center stand to put the bike up on to change wheels?

Thanks!
__________________
'08 DR650
greer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #74496
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Trying to leave CT
Oddometer: 8,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeVee View Post
Hi folks, been about a year since I was here, since I've been and still am recovering from the broken ankle.

Well, decided to take El Monstro out for basically the first ride in a year, although a fellow inmate rode her back to my house in November and said she ran fine.

So I start her up, it's 90+ degrees so no choke. started up super rough and belching all sorts of shit out of his ass. won't stay running without the throttle cracked even though I got the engine up to operating temp by holding the throttle open. tried raising the idle speed to max and that will barely keep 'em running.

it's also blowing all sorts of smoke which it never did before, even on the ride m buddy did in november.

so, thoughts and advice from the collective genius?
Welcome back T

First, get rid of any fuel that was in the bike when you put it away. Put SeaFoam or StarTron in the new fuel.
Next get a new pilot jet. Don't waste your time trying to save the $4 by attempting to clean the old one.

Lastly service the air cleaner.

Ride
__________________
In the beginning, there was nothing. Even That exploded
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #74497
procycle
Beastly Adventurer
 
procycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Center of the DR650 universe
Oddometer: 2,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote View Post
Do you think aluminum links would hold my fat ass?
The stock links are aluminum.
__________________
Clarke's second law of Egodynamics: "For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert." - Jasper Fforde
www.procycle.us - Everything for your DR650 and lots of other great stuff!
DR900 Big Bore Stroker buildup
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:13 PM   #74498
thump!
Adventurer
 
thump!'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Northeast Tennessee
Oddometer: 1,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote View Post
Lowering links for a big guy.

With my luggage I am around 300#

I'm 5'10 which I know is tall enough to handle the stock height of the bike which in the tall setting is supposed to be 34.8 inches.

After a cogent shock rebuild, a custom seat and a DR350 rear 18" wheel my seat height is a hair over 37" I'd like to get it closer to stock height without losing my farkles.

I see some lowering links from Procycle, Moose etc. Most seem to be aluminum.

Do you think aluminum links would hold my fat ass? Hitting the entire TAT in a few months and I would be more confident on a lower bike, but don't want to get into a jam because a part didn't hold up.
300 lbs is no big deal. I've ridden mine a lot of miles with 270-280 on board and that's with the OEM shock. I'd be more concerned about cracking the swing arm than with the dogbones. That has happened more than once. I haven't searched here but there are threads on DRRiders.com about this potential failure point.

Jim Randall
thump! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #74499
! Danimal !
--Dan--
 
! Danimal !'s Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Altoona, WI
Oddometer: 129
I had my shock lowered by Cogent to match the factory "low"setting Now the bike sits just .25" lower than the standard version unloaded. It is perfect for me.

So options:
1.) Lowering links--sacrifice some of what you gained by reworking your shock.

2.) Call Cogent and talk to them, they are wonderful as you probably know and that mod would involve little more work than a standard shock service--may be a reasonable option. (forks follow the factory option-no new parts needed)

3.) And this is what I would personally do if I were you (and I did myself because I am short as F***) Order the low-seat from seat concepts! This brings your seat height back down to within a quarter inch of stock. You keep your farkels and get another one in the process .....*the only catch is it may make you want to lower your footpegs depending on you inseam ...me it wasn't an issue.

Hope this helps,
Dan
! Danimal ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:25 PM   #74500
neo1piv014
ADV in training
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by greener556 View Post
I've got a Vapor with the LED dash and the light are nearly impossible to see. Is there any solution for this, do I need to add a diode?

Thanks
Superbrightleds.com is where I got my replacement bulbs for my dash. They sell some regular ones for fairly cheap, or for a little bit more, you can get the high output ones. I've used those on cars and bikes a decent amount.
__________________
_________________________
Ride videos
'01 DR650
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #74501
greener556
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Iowa
Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
Superbrightleds.com is where I got my replacement bulbs for my dash. They sell some regular ones for fairly cheap, or for a little bit more, you can get the high output ones. I've used those on cars and bikes a decent amount.

Cool, these look ideal.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...-12vdc-led/55/
greener556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #74502
BombayG
n00b
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Oddometer: 6
Did any of you guys weld new supports / gussets for your Dr650? I hear if oyu load up a bit of gear and go on long trips the frame (near the luggage area) is prone to cracking?
BombayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:28 PM   #74503
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)
 
B.E. Coyote's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Virginia Beach, Va. / Sugar Grove W.V.
Oddometer: 5,278
Thanks for the responses.

I emailed Rick at Cogent earlier today. Haven't heard back yet, but that is my first option if it is economical.

2nd option will be procycles 1" lowering links.

My seat is staying. Russell Day Long rocks.
I know most will think it an abomonation but I like it, narrow enough up front for standing but plenty wide for long days.
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:29 PM   #74504
kezzajohnson
kezza
 
kezzajohnson's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Cairns - Queensland Australia
Oddometer: 1,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex76 View Post
Hey guys, just put in new sparks plugs. They are the ngk cr10eix, which I thought were a direct replacement but the head on this spark plug won't mate with the spark plug wires. Are these the wrong plugs?
Make sure they are. If they are too long in the head, they might hit the piston and cause all sorts of damage. If they are right, just change the tops over from your old plugs.
__________________
KezzaJohnson Blue 06 DR650se,Yellow 06 DRZ250

Website: http://www.territoryon2wheels.com

"May the Road Never Rise to Defeat you..."
kezzajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #74505
dman
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
every Big Block owner I talked to said no way would they would ever use that tire again.
the said the grip was on par with others, but the mileage is a joke, even on lighter bikes.
Recent issue of Dirt Rider magazine with some dual sport articles (including DR650) makes vague comments about a new and/or improved Big Block. There were no details, but maybe Kenda is learning. Kenda mountain bike tires are great.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014