User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 09:19 AM   #74686
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,196
Max Temp

I think it was ProCycle that posted (long ago) that Suzuki does not have a published "upper temp limit" for the DR650 motor. I've personally seen temps of 375 deg from it (on my Vapor), riding in Death Valley, going up Town Pass to the west. I was running ~65 mph or so, and dove off onto Wildrose when I saw it getting up there. It took about 15-20 min of mild riding before it really started going down, but there have been no ill effects (that was two years ago). I also run synthetic oil. :)

Rob
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:45 AM   #74687
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
I've personally seen temps of 375 deg from it (on my Vapor), riding in Death Valley, going up Town Pass to the west.
Is this cylinder head temperature (measured at the spark plug), or oil temperature?

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:47 AM   #74688
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
on the vapor she normally runs between 80C on open roads and 100C in normal traffic. in Jakarta she peaked at 150C and never missed a beat but was uncomfortably hot between the legs.
Does this device measure cylinder head temperature (under the spark plug) or oil temperature?

Regards,

Derek
Old 03-13-2013, 09:47 AM   #74689
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,648
I can't log in to DRRIDERS.com at the moment to post this question, so I'll ask here.

Has anyone seen a plastic toy/replica scale model/toy of the DR650SE?

I know back in the day my ZX-7R was so popular that I was able to find two different sized plastic toys (one really big one) that were of that exact model of bike.

I'd like to buy one and try to mount it, or use it, to be a business card holder here at my desk.

I know - stupid question, huh? The bikes have been around for how many years... surely someone, somewhere, made a toy of it. Maybe not one that was ever sold here in the USA, but a toy nonetheless. I don't think either of my previous bike's toys/models were actually labelled "ZX-7R" so it may be possible that we're looking for something that isn't named DR650.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:51 AM   #74690
disconnected
rider

Oddometer: 7,348
Just an Update of my DR650 ADVBuild!

I know the bike doesnt exist without pictures BUT,

I bought my DR bone stock from a Harley Guy in the Fall so it was VERY clean and pristine with 4xxx miles on the ODometer for 2500.00. :)

Anyhow it now sits with, an Acerbis Natural 5.3 Gallon Tank, Pro Taper Evo Fat Bars, Pro Taper Adapter/Risor, Cycra Hand Guards, Dakar Front Screen, GPS hard wired, Race Tech Springs, Ricor Intiminator Valving, Pro Cycle Rear Spring, Michilin T-63s, Rear Luggage Plate, Dirt Bagz panniers, Alaska Leather Sheep Skin, (grip heaters in garage).

Thinking of adding a pipe to drop 8 pounds. Went with the Dirt Bagz to minimize weight and extra metal. I also removed some tid bits.

I thought it was ALMOST SHOCKINGLY AMAZING how much the bike transformed with new valves and springs!

Greg
Old 03-13-2013, 09:51 AM   #74691
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 9,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
I can't log in to DRRIDERS.com at the moment to post this question, so I'll ask here.

Has anyone seen a plastic toy/replica scale model/toy of the DR650SE?

I know back in the day my ZX-7R was so popular that I was able to find two different sized plastic toys (one really big one) that were of that exact model of bike.

I'd like to buy one and try to mount it, or use it, to be a business card holder here at my desk.

I know - stupid question, huh? The bikes have been around for how many years... surely someone, somewhere, made a toy of it. Maybe not one that was ever sold here in the USA, but a toy nonetheless. I don't think either of my previous bike's toys/models were actually labelled "ZX-7R" so it may be possible that we're looking for something that isn't named DR650.
I have on that resembles a KDX 250 I had. I would buy a DR650 toy also.

I've seen KTM toys similar to the one I have now, but not lately.

stole this idea eslewhere:

1. Print out a picture and cut to outline.

2. Reverse picture in Photoshop, print and cut to ouline.

3. Get stiff foam or even use wood and trace and cut to outline of picture.

4. Glue picture to foam or wood.

5. Give to deserving child and/or adult.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers

Rusty Rocket screwed with this post 03-13-2013 at 10:02 AM
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #74692
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
Does this device measure cylinder head temperature (under the spark plug) or oil temperature?
At the head/spark plug. I do wonder what the oil temp would be under those circumstances. :)

Rob
Old 03-13-2013, 10:24 AM   #74693
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post

Regards,

Derek
Quote:
At the head/spark plug. I do wonder what the oil temp would be under those circumstances. :)

Rob
isn't it possible for it to measure wherever it's connected? connect it to an oil temp sensor, and it will measure oil temps? or connect it to an oil fitting?

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:26 AM   #74694
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
isn't it possible for it to measure wherever it's connected? connect it to an oil temp sensor, and it will measure oil temps? or connect it to an oil fitting?
Sure; one just has to get a gauge and sensor and install it. If I could find one small enough and weatherproof, I might get one. If it didn't cost a fortune. But between my Vapor and a Battery Bug, I'm running out of space to put stuff.

Rob
Old 03-13-2013, 10:31 AM   #74695
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
The bog happens above idle up to 1/8 throttle. Engine temp does not matter. It does not happen all the time. When I sit at a light and then open the throttle it happens; so when the bike is sitting idling for a bit. It's loading up rich.
Make sure the slide guide and emulsion tube are not worn out (a worn out emulsion tube will cause an excessively rich mixture at low rpm at all openings), set the float height, install a non-USA adjustable OEM needle, install the correct main jet for WOT operation, set the clip position for correct 1/4 opening operation, install the correct pilot jet for 1/16-1/8 opening operation, set the idle mixture and speed.
Quote:
So a 2nd slide hole does not help the slide lift up faster (ie engine revs quicker)?
Consider that the slide falls between every intake event (which happens once every 720 degrees), and less damping means it falls further after each event, meaning it also has to rise further at the initiation of the next event. Consider the following:

1) The slide will not lift at all if the lift hole area is infinitely small. Neither will it lift if the lift hole area is infinitely large.
2) What makes the slide fall further between each intake event when the lift hole area is larger is the fact that the vacuum above the diaphragm more readily bleeds off.
3) More vacuum already being present above the diaphragm at the beginning of each intake event means a smaller portion of its duration elapses before the slide is back at its full height.
4) A smaller portion of the intake event being used to lift the slide means more time spent with the slide at its proper height relative to the particular combination of throttle position and rpm, meaning cylinder filling will be improved.

Quote:
The existing slide hole only helps to keep the slide from oscillating but does not have any function in how the slide lifts?
As stated above, the slide would not lift at all without a hole.
Quote:
So adding a 2nd hole causes the slide to oscillate more and does nothing for power?
Dyno testing I have done on a 640LC4 with a single lift hole slide-equipped BST40 showed modest gains across almost the entire range at WOT with no losses anywhere. At 1/4 opening there were gains across the entire range while the mixture stayed essentially the same, with a max gain in torque of 1.4 ft-lbs at 3K rpm. There were gains across the board at 1/8 opening, with a max gain in torque of 2.6 ft-lbs at 2K rpm, along with the usable rev range extended from 3.4K to 5K rpm. There were also gains across the board at 1/16 opening, with a max gain in torque of 1.2 ft-lbs at 2.5K rpm, along with the usable rev range extended from 2.5K to 3K rpm.
Quote:
Why does KTM spec a oem slide w/ 2 holes then?
I could speculate, but don't have any concrete information about that.
Quote:
I can plug my 2nd hole with a hard drive screw that fits perfectly in there.
If possible, I would use a plastic socket-head set screw held in with a thread locker. I would be concerned about a metal one changing the weight of the slide.

Regards,

Derek
Old 03-13-2013, 10:37 AM   #74696
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
At the head/spark plug.
OK. That seems reasonable.

Regards,

Derek
Old 03-13-2013, 10:52 AM   #74697
Skidmarkart
Dirty Middle Age Man

Oddometer: 215
So, my factory nobbies are finally worn out (well the rear is anyway and the front has a little dry-rot cracking... not safe). Since I mostly ride street, I was going to get them replaced with a set of 90/10 tires.

My local (read: NON-DEALER) shop has a Shinko 712 rear and a Avon "Gripster" that fit in stock. Anyone have any objection to these tires, or this combo? Prices seem very fair, and I like to support local business. Since I have never done a change before I thought I might go watch once before I tried it myself.
Skidmarkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:54 AM   #74698
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,362
They do make a oil temp gauge it replaces the oil fill plug,check e bay
Old 03-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #74699
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 3,035
Quote:
I think it was ProCycle that posted (long ago) that Suzuki does not have a published "upper temp limit" for the DR650 motor. I've personally seen temps of 375 deg from it (on my Vapor), riding in Death Valley, going up Town Pass to the west. I was running ~65 mph or so, and dove off onto Wildrose when I saw it getting up there. It took about 15-20 min of mild riding before it really started going down, but there have been no ill effects (that was two years ago). I also run synthetic oil. :)

Rob
I was in Utah in some doG forsaken desert. As long as I was moving it stayed cool. I rode for probably 20 minutes in some of that silty sand working the ass off of it. I saw the temps climb up. I was ready for a break anyway..gave it 15 minutes and continued on. Only time I saw heat issues. Heck, going anything over 35 mph I can't ever seem to get above 180 with my vapor..no matter the outside temp.
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #74700
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,488
DR650 deal breakers?

I may look at a 2006 with 3500 miles tonight and wonder if there are any DR650 specific issues that I should look for. I'm not new to bikes but will be new to the DR. I suspect I'll need to Locktite some screw inside and worry about the third gear blow up if I buy it.

What can I see, hear or smell that should send me back home empty handed?
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote