User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 06:20 PM   #74686
shu

Oddometer: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex76 View Post
Anyone marked off their IMS tank? I have a clear tank and was wondering if a regular sharpie would stay on there.

Big ol, black magic marker works better than anything else I've tried. It stays on pretty good when gas splashes on it but everything wears off pretty quickly from your legs rubbing on it.

On the other hand, it's not too hard to re-do every now and then.

I marked mine with the bike vertical so I could judge it on the fly.

..............shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #74687
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,134
TEX76, I have marked gallons on my clear IMS tank with a Sharpie. I have to renew the marks every once in a while. I like being able to look and see about how much is left in the tank.
YnotJP? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:36 PM   #74688
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer: 858
Perfect, thanks guys. Had a couple close calls in Big Bend this weekend and can now see the value of having this thing marked lol
The Lost Texan, Wanders East
Tex76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:26 PM   #74689
Greaslife
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
So just posed this too the dr350 thread what a dumb ass me and my ADD

What's up I'm josh I just got Sunday a 2013 DR 650 .

I have been lurking for a while and thought I would say what's up. Just rode 68 miles today to and from work in riverside my ass isn't happy nore is my back.O yah my right had goes numb after about 20-25 miles

Whats the first thing you would do or fix these.

I'm 6.4 and 300lbs.

I'm planing on going full expo/desert . Just too get an idea. Any feed back would be grate.

I know this has probably all ready been talked about. But My A.D.D kicks in real quick when searching for answers.

Thanks too all for the help

Thinks for looking from

J&S Garage-works

Wildomar Ca.

Thinks for looking from
J&S Garage-works
Wildomar Ca.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:34 PM   #74690
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,229
Anybody know where I can get just the retainer clip for a 520 chain?
Old 03-12-2013, 07:45 PM   #74691
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greaslife View Post
I know this has probably all ready been talked about. But My A.D.D kicks in real quick when searching for answers.
Probably not what you want to hear, but seriously, start on Page 1 and start reading. If you start now, you might finish by the end of the year. And when you're done, you will know pretty much everything you ever (or never) wanted to know about the DR650. I'm not saying it to be mean at all; this thread is a goldmine of information. If you want the info NOW without waiting, it's the best way to find it. Every topic has been rehashed many times.. each time there's usually some new tidbit that wasn't there before, so it's always valuable.

Welcome!!! BTW, post pix please. :)

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:03 PM   #74692
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwash View Post
Anybody know where I can get just the retainer clip for a 520 chain?
From any bike shop.
You just need to know the make and model of the chain...
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #74693
wee-twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:

I have been lurking for a while and thought I would say what's up. Just rode 68 miles today to and from work in riverside my ass isn't happy nore is my back.O yah my right had goes numb after about 20-25 miles

I'm 6.4 and 300lbs.

I'm planing on going full expo/desert . Just too get an idea. Any feed back would be grate.

Thinks for looking from

J&S Garage-works

Wildomar Ca.

Thinks for looking from
J&S Garage-works
Wildomar Ca.
Seat concepts for the seat. They offer a tall version and a firm foam version. We get a adv discount. New bike, change oil and filter soon/now. It will be dirty from breaking in. Adjust handlebars/angle of levers on clutch and front brake so they are comfortable which should help hand discomfort. Good luck.

Bill
wee-twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #74694
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,266
Quote:

I'm 6.4 and 300lbs.

Thinks for looking from

J&S Garage-works

Wildomar Ca.

Thinks for looking from
J&S Garage-works
Wildomar Ca.
i'm only 155 and i couldn't do more than 20 minutes on the stock seat. corbin, seat concepts, sargent are likely upgrade suspects. at 300lbs i would also be looking at fork spring and rear shock upgrades. mebbe new handlebars and lowered footpegs, too, at 6'-4"? not sure why your hand would go numb; i find these bikes to be pretty smooth...

welcome!

doug s.
doug s. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #74695
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novgorod View Post
Hello DR650'ers. I don't have one yet, but I am thinking about buying a used one I found for sale. I was wondering if someone could give me an idea on how much power they have, with a TM40 Mikuni and GSXR exhaust? I don't mean numbers, but by the seatofyourpants dyno. Also how well do they run at very low speeds through sticky stuff?
welcome! buying used is a great idea, imo - then you have extra $$$ for making it yours!

my bike has a keihin fcr39, hi-flow midpipe and header, w/tsukigi gsxr1000 exhaust, and it kicks ass on my seat-dyno. if i'm not paying attention, front wheel will lift w/o trying. pretty easy in 2nd, as well...

can't help you w/the "sticky stuff" - mine's set up as a motard...

doug s.
doug s. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #74696
Greaslife
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Yah figured reading was going too come up. Damn.
Shock tuning is a must. Nose dives hard and is nose high just running down the road even with me sitting on the tank.
Think I'm going too change the bars out too renthal cr high bars from what little I have read.
Picks here you go

Think I'm going too fabb peg brackets this weakened 2inch down And 1inch too 1.5 back so my flippers stop getting stuck.

Thanks for the info

Here's a pick
Old 03-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #74697
Rainier_runner
Epic Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Since the IMS has a glossy finish, I'll be curious to know if it does stay marked. I just got a natural color Acerbis which has a matte finish. I think it's going to keep every finger print I put on it. I mark the magazines for my XDM with a Sharpie and they need refreshing on occassion.

Are you going to mark it with the bike vertical or on the sidestand?
XDm? Good man!
Old 03-12-2013, 08:44 PM   #74698
speedmaster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Front Wheel Bias?

My 19” front wheel is about 1/8” biased to the brake rotor side of the forks. Is this normal for the stock set up? I don’t have my 21” wheel anymore to check it and find out. So if someone could take a close up picture or let me know I’d appreciate it.

Thanks

speedmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #74699
richeyroo
34L King of bikes !

Oddometer: 112
Hot

Hi gang

I am on the verge on buying a 2013 DR650 out here in the Middle East (Oman) where I am working

I'm sold on the reliability/simplicity of the bike which is real important out here. I know the bits that need to be changed, so I just have one little doubt removing before I buy

How does the DR cope with high ambient air temperatures. Even in winter out here it doesn't get below 25C (77F) and from May to September it doesn't really go below 35C (95F). Occasionally it hits 45C (115F) in June , July and August and on those days, I ain't gonna ride the bike

But for reassurance I need some "I rode my bike all day off road when it was 38C (100F) and the bike was as happy as a pig in sh*t" type stories. I think that will be my upper limit. I will get a Vapor to monitor oil temperature and run good synthetic oil.

Looking forward to joining the gang

Richey
richeyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #74700
shu

Oddometer: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by richeyroo View Post
Hi gang

I am on the verge on buying a 2013 DR650 out here in the Middle East (Oman) where I am working

I'm sold on the reliability/simplicity of the bike which is real important out here. I know the bits that need to be changed, so I just have one little doubt removing before I buy

How does the DR cope with high ambient air temperatures. Even in winter out here it doesn't get below 25C (77F) and from May to September it doesn't really go below 35C (95F). Occasionally it hits 45C (115F) in June , July and August and on those days, I ain't gonna ride the bike

But for reassurance I need some "I rode my bike all day off road when it was 38C (100F) and the bike was as happy as a pig in sh*t" type stories. I think that will be my upper limit. I will get a Vapor to monitor oil temperature and run good synthetic oil.

Looking forward to joining the gang

Richey
Ive never heard of a DR overheating. Lots of guys ride them through the deserts of the world all day, day after day with no problems. Very popular bike in Australia.

I've ridden mine for days through Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, and Kazakhstan with air temps at 110-115* F and ground temps at about 150*. The bike never faltered, but I did.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...a+2010+rocking

................shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote