Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 04:31 PM   #74731
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
I think we all tend to feel "normal" is whatever we get used to. Changing tires on my bike made a huge difference in feel. Went from well-worn stock tires to new knobbies and thought something was wrong. Now it's the new normal.
That was downright philosophical.
The Lost Texan, Wanders East
Tex76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #74732
MATT0404
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Iíve been lurking here for a little while; reading and learning. For the last couple years Iíve been contemplating buying a dual sport and taking up riding. Today I picked up my first bike and wanted to share a photo. This is a left over 2012 that I got a great deal on. I look forward to being more active here on ADV as you all are a great resource for the community.

2012 Suzuki DR650 by mkrepp, on Flickr
MATT0404 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #74733
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
Amen to that. I had run through about 4 or 5 shinko 705's, through on a Shinko 244 and thought I must have bought a bad tire or something. Ass end seemed to drift everywhere on gravel for a while. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
I think we all tend to feel "normal" is whatever we get used to. Changing tires on my bike made a huge difference in feel. Went from well-worn stock tires to new knobbies and thought something was wrong. Now it's the new normal.
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #74734
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATT0404 View Post
Today I picked up my first bike and wanted to share a photo.
Yea, more pictures.
Welcome to the DR and motorcycling too.

Go here, read this. And learn how to use the front brake.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=563090

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:16 PM   #74735
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Most likely it's tires, and possibly work steering bearings. It could also be misaligned forks. As long as the forks aren't bent, you're probably fine. Replacing steering bearings isn't all that hard either (I just did mine a few months ago), and you should open them up and check them anyway (regrease) as part of regular maintenance. The stock tires are garbage so I'd plan to lose those ASAP.

Rob
When I bought my Concours 14 on a fly and drive it had a crappy feeling on turning in but new tires made that pretty sweet. DR never feels strange to me, had a klr 250, a bit lighter/smaller
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000,, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, 1965 Bridgestone 90!
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:21 PM   #74736
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATT0404 View Post
Iíve been lurking here for a little while; reading and learning. For the last couple years Iíve been contemplating buying a dual sport and taking up riding. Today I picked up my first bike and wanted to share a photo. This is a left over 2012 that I got a great deal on. I look forward to being more active here on ADV as you all are a great resource for the community.r

Where you at noob Dual sporting is great, the DR is a great bike to start with, well a beat up 250 might be better, get one of those for dirt. Otherwise take it easy, practice a lot of slow stuff. Figure eights, stopping on hills, hard braking. Yep you can and should use that front brake on dirt, learn when to use which. I used to practice locking the front on dirt, and an immediate release, but don't try that yet.
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000,, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, 1965 Bridgestone 90!
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:23 PM   #74737
LarrytheDRguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Duct Tape Quotes

In Florida we like to say that Silence is golden. Duct tape is Gray.
LarrytheDRguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #74738
Carl Childers
Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer: 328
[QUOTE=MATT0404;20940264][COLOR=black][SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri][COLOR=pink]I’ve been lurking here for a little while; reading and learning. For the last couple years I’ve been contemplating buying a dual sport and taking up riding. Today I picked up my first bike and wanted to share a photo. This is a left over 2012 that I got a great deal on. I look forward to being more active here on ADV as you all are a great resource for the community.

If you haven't already take the MSF course,it's the best thing for new riders and welcome to riding in general and DR's specifically!

The world is divided into two groups, those who ride and the poor slobs who don't.

Carl Childers screwed with this post 03-13-2013 at 06:35 PM
Carl Childers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #74739
Greaslife
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
While letting my ADD run a muck I didn't check the tank when I left work today and what do u know I ran out just as I was going too pass a gas station. Lol

So filled her up and switched over too prime while I put my gloves on and got the tunes going. Bough 2 miles away she shut off. Switched back too prime for 2-3 min off I went agin 3-4 miles she shut off.
Pulled the fuel line too the carb and with it in prime gas came out. Switched too on and damn near no gas switched back to prim and made it the 24 miles home.
Am I missing something.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:32 PM   #74740
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greaslife View Post
While letting my ADD run a muck I didn't check the tank when I left work today and what do u know I ran out just as I was going too pass a gas station. Lol

So filled her up and switched over too prime while I put my gloves on and got the tunes going. Bough 2 miles away she shut off. Switched back too prime for 2-3 min off I went agin 3-4 miles she shut off.
Pulled the fuel line too the carb and with it in prime gas came out. Switched too on and damn near no gas switched back to prim and made it the 24 miles home.
Am I missing something.
clogged vent? put it to "on" and see if it runs w/the gas cap off...

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:54 PM   #74741
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Welcome Greaslife. Yes, get to reading the DR650 Thread, but, it will take a month of Sundays or longer. Just look over 13 and a quarter million have been to this thread. There are DR650 Index Threads that address different items that maybe faster for you to find what you maybe looking for.

I keep a notebook and when I find something here that I know I will want to revisit, I record the page. NSU bolts, and bypassing the kickstand and clutch switches maybe this type of information you will want.

Procycle and Kientech will probably become names well known to you as well as others.

Subjects come up here on a regular basis, so check in often.
YnotJP? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:24 PM   #74742
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,304
Report back on my switch to higher bars (mid-rise ATV bars, specifically):

Well, I haven't done a long trip with them, so I can't say anything about long-term comfort. I can say that they felt really weird at first, and I originally thought I had made a mistake.

Too, I don't know if it was just something that would have happened anyway, but my lower back had minor spasms from immediately after changing them. It was certainly a difference in riding, and I could see how it was placing a little more weight on the lower back.

Anyway, that all went away, and what I'm left with, now that I'm more used to the bars, is a bike that feels much more flickable for reasons I don't fully understand. Part of it seems to be that the stock bars were just far too wide for what I use the bike for. I guess that width comes into play for certain riders (riders with wide shoulders?) or certain terrains (where one needs leverage?).

On the mean streets, during commutes... the width is pretty sweet.

I just need to find out what the rise will be like for me, personally, on longer rides that my work apparently won't let me do anymore.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:30 PM   #74743
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
clogged vent? put it to "on" and see if it runs w/the gas cap off...

doug s.
It's vacuum operated so the motor will have to be running. Not safe. Check to see if the vacuum line for the petcock is kinked or even off the carb.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:03 PM   #74744
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
Is it just me or does it seem like Suzuki is really selling a lot more DR 650 lately? Even my local dealer who never carries any dual sport motorcycles actually has a DR 650 on the floor for 0% finance. They usually just cater to the squids and pirates, never to dual sports.

planemanx15 screwed with this post 03-14-2013 at 09:55 AM
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:29 PM   #74745
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by barko1 View Post
Where're you at noob Dual sporting is great, the DR is a great bike to start with, well a beat up 250 might be better, get one of those for dirt. Otherwise take it easy, practice a lot of slow stuff. Figure eights, stopping on hills, hard braking. Yep you can and should use that front brake on dirt, learn when to use which. I used to practice locking the front on dirt, and an immediate release, but don't try that yet.
Where're you at noob means fill in your location in your profile (state or county). We won't hunt you down, honest. What Barko said "hard braking". This means front brake, on both pavement and dirt. This will save your butt: learn it (not today, don't grab the front brake with 4 fingers; yet). My Sister said about her 130 hp Ducati: "Ya got to trust yer brakes." Girls; wudda they know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Childers View Post
If you haven't already take the MSF course,it's the best thing for new riders and welcome to riding in general and DR's specifically!

The world is divided into two groups, those who ride and the poor slobs who don't.
Dirt riding will make you better every where in life, forever. Just pavement riding; not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greaslife View Post
While letting my ADD run a muck I didn't check the tank when I left work today and what do you know I ran out just as I was going to pass a gas station. Lol

So filled her up and switched over to prime while I put my gloves on. But 2 miles away she shut off. Switched back to prime for 2-3 min off I went again 3-4 miles she shut off.
Pulled the fuel line to the carb and with it in prime gas came out. Switched to on and damn near no gas switched back to prime and made it the 24 miles home.
Am I missing something.
If the bike isn't running, fuel shouldn't flow from either ON or RES. Since the bike ran on PRI, I'd check the vacuum line from the carb cap to the petcock. If it's good, take the petcock apart and give it a gentle blast of air.

Since the internet is a world wide network visited by riders from many other countries, learn how to use "I'm going to the store, I have two feet, and I have two hands, too". It will make you look smarter. Yes, it matters.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote