Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 08:03 PM   #74761
planemanx15
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 973
Is it just me or does it seem like Suzuki is really selling a lot more DR 650 lately? Even my local dealer who never carries any dual sport motorcycles actually has a DR 650 on the floor for 0% finance. They usually just cater to the squids and pirates, never to dual sports.
2003 BMW R1150RT - The new beast

planemanx15 screwed with this post 03-14-2013 at 09:55 AM
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:29 PM   #74762
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by barko1 View Post
Where're you at noob Dual sporting is great, the DR is a great bike to start with, well a beat up 250 might be better, get one of those for dirt. Otherwise take it easy, practice a lot of slow stuff. Figure eights, stopping on hills, hard braking. Yep you can and should use that front brake on dirt, learn when to use which. I used to practice locking the front on dirt, and an immediate release, but don't try that yet.
Where're you at noob means fill in your location in your profile (state or county). We won't hunt you down, honest. What Barko said "hard braking". This means front brake, on both pavement and dirt. This will save your butt: learn it (not today, don't grab the front brake with 4 fingers; yet). My Sister said about her 130 hp Ducati: "Ya got to trust yer brakes." Girls; wudda they know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Childers View Post
If you haven't already take the MSF course,it's the best thing for new riders and welcome to riding in general and DR's specifically!

The world is divided into two groups, those who ride and the poor slobs who don't.
Dirt riding will make you better every where in life, forever. Just pavement riding; not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greaslife View Post
While letting my ADD run a muck I didn't check the tank when I left work today and what do you know I ran out just as I was going to pass a gas station. Lol

So filled her up and switched over to prime while I put my gloves on. But 2 miles away she shut off. Switched back to prime for 2-3 min off I went again 3-4 miles she shut off.
Pulled the fuel line to the carb and with it in prime gas came out. Switched to on and damn near no gas switched back to prime and made it the 24 miles home.
Am I missing something.
If the bike isn't running, fuel shouldn't flow from either ON or RES. Since the bike ran on PRI, I'd check the vacuum line from the carb cap to the petcock. If it's good, take the petcock apart and give it a gentle blast of air.

Since the internet is a world wide network visited by riders from many other countries, learn how to use "I'm going to the store, I have two feet, and I have two hands, too". It will make you look smarter. Yes, it matters.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:19 PM   #74763
blackcap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Sure; one just has to get a gauge and sensor and install it. If I could find one small enough and weatherproof, I might get one. If it didn't cost a fortune. But between my Vapor and a Battery Bug, I'm running out of space to put stuff.

Rob
trailtech sells a 14mm brass washer sensor that you can use to replace one of the brass washers on the oil line that goes into the cylinder head. that way your getting a reasonable ide of what the oil temp is and if your counter shaft oil seal spits itself out and the bike dumps all the oil before you notice, youll hopefully notice a spike in head temp before doing to much damage.

Australia to Iceland on a DR650 http://oztoice.wordpress.com
blackcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:08 AM   #74764
LexTalionis
Inciteful

Oddometer: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obard View Post
First off, I think I'm due for a new chain, but the PO put an aftermarket sprocket to ride the highway better, and I have no idea what size chain to buy. That's not the main issue though.

I did a chain adjustment this weekend, and now the chain is binding up, for lack of a better term. In neutral, it won't spin freely for a whole rotation, but instead stops. I can hear what sounds like links binding at slow speeds. When measuring adjustment distances horizontally below the swingarm, there is clearly a tight spot and a looser spot. I'll be adjusting again before I ride it, but I wanted to bounce this off ya'll in the meantime.

Oh yeah, I just replaced the cotter pin rear nut with the self locker.
Be aware your DR may not have the OEM chain size, as in 520 vs 525. Something else to be aware of.

Probably best to simply replace both sprockets and the chain, then you will be sure of what you have. Besides, it's good practice, worn sprocket(s) will significantly increase chain wear. ProCycle sells sprocket/chain kits.

Lex
Old 03-14-2013, 04:43 AM   #74765
Greaslife
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Er70s-2. Thanks for the advice on the bike and grammar.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:32 AM   #74766
Carl Childers
Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post
Is it just me or does it seem like Suzuki is really selling a lot more DR 650 lately? Even my local dealer who never carries any tools for motorcycles actually has a DR 650 on the floor for 0% finance. They usually just cater to the squids and pirates, never to dual sports.

Hmm....squids and pirates, what's the derogatory name for dual sporters or do we need to come up with one?

Check the magazines and e -media, Dual sport is the next big wave, expect to see more riders on your favorite trails come this summer. This new popularity will be a blessing and a curse.

Carl Childers screwed with this post 03-14-2013 at 05:46 AM
Carl Childers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:47 AM   #74767
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 7,804
Quote:
Hmm....squids and pirates, what's the derogatory name for dual sporters or do we need to come up with one?

How about Dirt pirates or mud squids.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:49 AM   #74768
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:

Check the magazines and e -media, Dual sport is the next big wave, expect to see more riders on your favorite trails come this summer. This new popularity will be a blessing and a curse.
I just call them...us.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:02 AM   #74769
Carl Childers
Ghost in the Machine

I was think'n maybe "knob heads"
Old 03-14-2013, 06:08 AM   #74770
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 7,804
Quote:
I was think'n maybe "knob heads"
google image search that one. (without "safe search")
Old 03-14-2013, 06:15 AM   #74771
Carl Childers
Ghost in the Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
google image search that one. (without "safe search")
LOL! I never considered our brothers across the pond or what it would mean there! And me a Triumph rider for 40 years!
Old 03-14-2013, 06:43 AM   #74772
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,185
Quote:

Twat waffles?

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:49 AM   #74773
CafeRacer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
Twat waffles?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2DgfuIrtIY

http://becausegolfsucks.tumblr.com/
CafeRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:52 AM   #74774
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 7,575
Quote:
There's a thread in another sub forum here discussing this. I think the consensus was "douchebag"

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:58 AM   #74775
Obard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexTalionis View Post
Be aware your DR may not have the OEM chain size, as in 520 vs 525. Something else to be aware of.

Probably best to simply replace both sprockets and the chain, then you will be sure of what you have. Besides, it's good practice, worn sprocket(s) will significantly increase chain wear. ProCycle sells sprocket/chain kits.

Lex
Good point Lex. I hadn't considered that. I know it's due, and I've got 3890 miles on the tires too. Metzler enduro 3 s. I'd like to save some money, but I know better than to piece meal or cheap out. I guess I'm in the market for drive train and tires. Don't tell the wife, she thinks this is the inexpensive bike. -Andy