Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #74791
shu

Oddometer: 978
more from South of the Border

Heading south of the Monterrey / Saltillo area today on backroads to Galeana and beyond.

Oops.....

First drop of the trip.

We wanted to get an idea of what the real back roads were like here so we we turned off the pavimento and started down a little track by the river. Karst waved me on, so I headed off through the 3 small water crossings (puddles really). The puddles all had about about six inches of water with round river cobbles (hand-sized to foot-sized) in the bottom. A little slippery but okay. Unfortunately, in the third puddle the cobble layer was bottomless. The rounded stones were covered with algae and rolled on each like roller bearings. Two thirds of the way through my front wheel buried itself about 10 inches deep in the stones and down I went. Karst, being a good friend, immediately got his camera out and took a bunch of pictures....... then, he came into the water to help me right my bike.

I'm almost back out of the puddle and my rear wheel keeps spinning and burying itself in the cobbles.

Taking a break

We came out of the mountains and turned off at a little town called Rayones- muy tranquilo- and stopped for something to drink at this little roadside food stand.

........................shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:04 PM   #74792
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
Heading south of the Monterrey / Saltillo area today on backroads to Galeana and beyond.

Oops.....

First drop of the trip.

We wanted to get an idea of what the real back roads were like here so we we turned off the pavimento and started down a little track by the river. Karst waved me on, so I headed off through the 3 small water crossings (puddles really). The puddles all had about about six inches of water with round river cobbles (hand-sized to foot-sized) in the bottom. A little slippery but okay. Unfortunately, in the third puddle the cobble layer was bottomless. The rounded stones were covered with algae and rolled on each like roller bearings. Two thirds of the way through my front wheel buried itself about 10 inches deep in the stones and down I went. Karst, being a good friend, immediately got his camera out and took a bunch of pictures....... then, he came into the water to help me right my bike.

I'm almost back out of the puddle and my rear wheel keeps spinning and burying itself in the cobbles.
Whatta buddy.

Taking a break

We came out of the mountains and turned off at a little town called Rayones- muy tranquilo- and stopped for something to drink at this little roadside food stand.

Rock-n-roll Shu: Keep 'em comming.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:29 AM   #74793
kezzajohnson
kezza

Oddometer: 1,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
trailtech sells a 14mm brass washer sensor that you can use to replace one of the brass washers on the oil line that goes into the cylinder head. that way your getting a reasonable ide of what the oil temp is and if your counter shaft oil seal spits itself out and the bike dumps all the oil before you notice, youll hopefully notice a spike in head temp before doing to much damage.
Or you can use a round file and file out the stock one that is supposed to go over the plug. I did this and have fitted it to the upper oil banjo with good results.

"May the Road Never Rise to Defeat you..."
kezzajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:06 AM   #74794
rspratley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpet View Post
I am also thinking about adding a single 40degree Vision X. please let us know how you like it in the deep dark.
I had mounted it in the wrong position so the first test was medium. I have already changed it to the correct position (it was rotated 90 degrees from correct position) and will test it again.
rspratley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:17 AM   #74795
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJD19892 View Post
Ok so I know it has to have been covered in here somewhere but I guess I'm technically challenged today or something. I'm wondering two things for my 00' dr650:
One: How do I bypass the clutch safety switch thing, and the kickstand one?
Two: Can anyone recommend a headlight and surround that looks and works better than stock? I looked and the trail tech torch but it doesn't list a DR as compatible?
Thanks!!
KLX450 light and surround with an HID. Complement it with a YZ450F front fender.
Kommando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:10 AM   #74796
blackcap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJD19892 View Post
Ok so I know it has to have been covered in here somewhere but I guess I'm technically challenged today or something. I'm wondering two things for my 00' dr650:
One: How do I bypass the clutch safety switch thing, and the kickstand one?
Two: Can anyone recommend a headlight and surround that looks and works better than stock? I looked and the trail tech torch but it doesn't list a DR as compatible?
Thanks!!
check out brittania composites. if you got the money the extra light is worth it.

Australia to Iceland on a DR650 http://oztoice.wordpress.com
and facebook https://www.facebook.com/oztoice
blackcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:10 AM   #74797
MATT0404
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post

Oops.....

First drop of the trip.

Taking a break

........................shu
Looks like a good time! Nice photos and story. Thanks for sharing.

I got out this morning for about 15 miles on some private dirt roads this morning. I rode for a few minutes with the choke half on and it seemed to help the bogging and sputtering. Once warmed up, it ran great.

2012 Suzuki DR650 by mkrepp, on Flickr
MATT0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:31 AM   #74798
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,859
Shu - thanks for keeping the riding spirit alive with the pics. Universal motorcycle experience...."are ya dying?...No..?...hang on, lemme get my camera.."

I went with a Polisport front fender for about $25 shipped off of ebay. Straight bolt in and I like the looks. Rock solid at freeway speeds.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:37 AM   #74799
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,050
There's a better way of mounting those aux lights.

Just get a longer bolt and a couple of spacers from Home Depot and run them into the lower of the two fork bolts.

I used to have little brackets that attached to those same bolts, but after two years, the vibration broke one clean off and the other one was cracked, so I removed them and came up with this solution. Now they're totally solid.

As for performance, they're outstanding. And at 10W each, they don't take much power. Aim the right and oncoming cars RARELY have an issue, though cars ahead of you will hate you. All the better -- they tend to get out of the way quicker.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:45 AM   #74800
KJD19892
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
KLX450 light and surround with an HID. Complement it with a YZ450F front fender.
I'm liking that look. How much modifying has to be done to make that work??
KJD19892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:12 AM   #74801
SoPaRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Thanks TrophyHunter and rpet, that's what I needed to know.

Jeff

'09 DR650SE (It's white)
'96 DR350/441SET (It's white too!)
P.M. me for copies of my 15 Michaux State Forest Dual Sport Routes; check the Trip Planning/Tent Space Sign-Up Thread/Page 33/Post #492/8-2011 for info on our "Motorcyclist Manor"; IT'S FREE!.
48 states, D.C., 5 provinces and Bermuda down; the rest of the world to go!
SoPaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:17 AM   #74802
mike1952
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,112
michelin

anyone using the T63 dual sport tire? I have Perelli AT90s on now and looking for something more aggresive. I ride packed dirt and gravel as well as some loose gravel with pavement in between.
mike1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #74803
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
There's a better way of mounting those aux lights.

Just get a longer bolt and a couple of spacers from Home Depot and run them into the lower of the two fork bolts.

I used to have little brackets that attached to those same bolts, but after two years, the vibration broke one clean off and the other one was cracked, so I removed them and came up with this solution. Now they're totally solid.

As for performance, they're outstanding. And at 10W each, they don't take much power. Aim the right and oncoming cars RARELY have an issue, though cars ahead of you will hate you. All the better -- they tend to get out of the way quicker.

Rob
Perfect, that puts them in the best position to not break in a fall too. Thanks Rob
The Lost Texan, Wanders East
Tex76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:41 AM   #74804
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1952 View Post
anyone using the T63 dual sport tire? I have Perelli AT90s on now and looking for something more aggresive. I ride packed dirt and gravel as well as some loose gravel with pavement in between.
I have a T63 rear tire in my garage waiting for my Pirelli MT21 to wear out. Buddy of mine runs the T63 front and rear and likes it. It was going to be my tire of choice instead of the MT21 but a pair of them got stolen out of my truck and I couldn't find another T63 so I bought the MT21. I haven't had a chance to run them myself, but from what I hear, they are a very good choice.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #74805
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 809
drriders is dead. anyone know what's up?
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote