User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013, 07:19 PM   #74791
btweaver13
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Yes, another seat post

But wait, there's more. I'm looking for a complete seat (not just a kit), and my riding is nearly 100% road (paved/semi-paved/gravel/dirt). I'm 5'9", 150 lbs and don't have an issue with the 650's seat height. Very few rides will be >300 miles in a single day.

I'm a new DR owner and put down right at 150 miles earlier today. The stock seat is not pleasant, and I found myself frequently switching riding positions (crouched over with left hand on my knee proved most therapeutic). Corbin gets high marks, but many complain that it's too wide for serious off-roading (my CRF250X handles those duties). Seat Concepts also has loyal followers, along with Sargent.

So my question is: are all aftermarket seats much better than stock, and its simply nuances between the Big 3?

Weave
btweaver13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:25 PM   #74792
Kommando
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by btweaver13 View Post
But wait, there's more. I'm looking for a complete seat (not just a kit), and my riding is nearly 100% road (paved/semi-paved/gravel/dirt). I'm 5'9", 150 lbs and don't have an issue with the 650's seat height. Very few rides will be >300 miles in a single day.

I'm a new DR owner and put down right at 150 miles earlier today. The stock seat is not pleasant, and I found myself frequently switching riding positions (crouched over with left hand on my knee proved most therapeutic). Corbin gets high marks, but many complain that it's too wide for serious off-roading (my CRF250X handles those duties). Seat Concepts also has loyal followers, along with Sargent.

So my question is: are all aftermarket seats much better than stock, and its simply nuances between the Big 3?

Weave
Corbin uses a heavy and inflexible seatpan. It doesn't work with different-shaped tanks. The other seat solutions tend to be lighter and flexible.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:31 PM   #74793
Carl Childers
Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer: 765
I'm happy with my Seat Concepts seat,it's worlds better than the stocker!
Old 03-15-2013, 07:59 PM   #74794
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,753
Quote:

Weave
My wife and I have a Seat Concepts and a Pro Cycle/Saddlemen seat and each is far better than stock.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #74795
Obard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:

Weave
I'll try not to be too much of a shill, but I just bought the ProCycle seat they have that's a Saddlemen and so far I'm really happy with it. I don't think I'd be much good after a 300 mile day, but that has nothing to do with the seat. They are having a sale fwiw.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #74796
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,659
Quote:

Weave
I'm quite frugal and when I bought my DR, I was thinkin' "are those fookers knutz? whoo'd pay $300 for an aftermarket seat?" 500 miles later, I was thinkin' "Hey, I'll pay $600 for that seat".

Edit: the Corbin is pretty wide, and spreads my knees when standing. I've spent a lifetime trying to spread knees. Izzat bad?

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:15 PM   #74797
Obard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
The bog part 2

Couple of things; checked my mileage today and I got 35 mpgs. That's not an average, just one gas stop. Almost 100% pavement. This is after the year long ordeal that was the valve adjustment and the ProCycle stock carb kit. I remember closer to 50 mpgs a year ago. Did I screw something up? Also, the off idle bog still irks me. I'll tear into the carb again next week, but I'm annoyed that I've got to do it a second time in two months. What's this about the USA vs. the overseas idle mixture screw?
Old 03-15-2013, 08:15 PM   #74798
shu

Oddometer: 1,026
Quote:

Weave
Sargent for me. I've ridden about 50K miles on it. It's not the finest seat out there but it's pretty darn good. I can ride 70-100 miles at a stretch on it, 350-400 mile days, day after day.

I'd buy another.

..............shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:27 PM   #74799
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 9,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl childers View Post
i'm happy with my seat concepts seat,it's worlds better than the stocker!
+5
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:49 PM   #74800
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obard View Post
Couple of things; checked my mileage today and I got 35 mpgs. That's not an average, just one gas stop. Almost 100% pavement.
I wouldn't be happy with 35 mpg, especially on the pavement. What's your gearing, 15t-42t?
Quote:
This is after the year long ordeal that was the valve adjustment and the ProCycle stock carb kit. I remember closer to 50 mpgs a year ago. Did I screw something up? Also, the off idle bog still irks me.
An off idle bog is frequenty caused by an idle air mixture being too rich. Turn yours in 1/4 turn, test ride, etc.
Quote:
I'll tear into the carb again next week, but I'm annoyed that I've got to do it a second time in two months. What's this about the USA vs. the overseas idle mixture screw?
The mixture screws are the same, you're thinking about the jet needle. The overseas needles have 5 grooves for e-clip adjustment, the USA needles only have one groove.

Stock USA needle.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:28 PM   #74801
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
An off idle bog is frequenty caused by an idle air mixture being too rich.
If the the idle mixture happens to be too rich, that is corrected, and the minor overlap to the progression circuit cures an off idle stumble, then so be it. Other than that, the idle mixture screw should not be used to tune off idle.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:30 PM   #74802
heirhead
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
Your logic makes sense, but not for a dealership. The profits on new bikes are very low, coupled with the fact that there are literally hundreds of the exact same bike all over the country, you need to negotiate to move units.
On a used bike there is only one exact version of that bike and though others may be close, it is still a unique piece. You can then ask whatever you want for it and it will sell eventually since they can't go down the road and buy the same bike.
I worked for over fifteen years in the industry and I can say that the profit margin on a bike like a DR is small after the buyer negotiates. I would guess $400 max, on a used bike I wanted to make a grand or better on every deal.

Heirhead
Worlds worst mechanic

heirhead screwed with this post 03-31-2013 at 10:07 PM
heirhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:32 PM   #74803
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,701
Quote:
Couple of things; checked my mileage today and I got 35 mpgs. That's not an average, just one gas stop. Almost 100% pavement. This is after the year long ordeal that was the valve adjustment and the ProCycle stock carb kit. I remember closer to 50 mpgs a year ago. Did I screw something up? Also, the off idle bog still irks me. I'll tear into the carb again next week, but I'm annoyed that I've got to do it a second time in two months. What's this about the USA vs. the overseas idle mixture screw?
How many miles are there on the carb? Does the problem improve or get worse as the engine warms up?

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:29 AM   #74804
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,821
As others have said, look at the Sargent seats. We've had them on several bikes and always been pleased. Google around for best price.

Sarah

Quote:

Weave
Old 03-16-2013, 06:03 AM   #74805
CCCC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Tyre pressures

Hi guys

Fairly new around here but been reading for a while. Well just picked up the 2new dr650 for me and the wife. We are fairly new dirt riders.
Trying to work out what pressures we should be runnning for different terrain.
Both bikes have safari tanks and the suspension has been done(pic of bikes to follow). Both bikes have pirelli mt21 front and rear.
Below are the types of terrain we ride, can you give us sugestions as to what pressures we should run for each terrain
Cheers

Soft sand
Hard dirt with loose covering of dirt
Hard dirt with some rock
Bituemin

Thanks guys, hope to post a trip report soon.
CCCC

Pic added
CCCC is offline   Reply With Quote