Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 04:33 PM   #74911
Obard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
It's probably more expensive to buy Suzuki Carb parts than buying a low miles stock Carb from someone here. Lots of guys go to the Pumper Carbs and sell off their stock Carbs ... most pretty cheap. Check out Flea Market,
always one or two for sale. I paid $75 for a near virgin stock Carb that came with a NEW DJ needle and extra jets. I'm at 50K miles ... but only 20K on my latest Carb. Next year I'll buy another. I keep the old one for back up ... even though it does show some wear ... it still works OK.
Ok, I'm headed for the flea market. Can't hurt to have a spare.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:06 PM   #74912
Skidmarkart
Dirty Middle Age Man

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
Marc Parnes balancer. $100. use it with jack stands or chairs or cinderblocks.
Very nice unit, stores small, and very accurate.

..........shu
Looks nice! Next time I will be doing this job.

I went back into my research before I got a tire and indeed there are people running 140/90-17 on a stock rim with no problems (per Procycle site, in tire reviews). I think I will going back to get the tire replaced at the shop this time. I am bummed by the experience, but will ask nicely how to resolve it and see where we go from there.
Skidmarkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #74913
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmarkart View Post
Looks nice! Next time I will be doing this job.

I went back into my research before I got a tire and indeed there are people running 140/90-17 on a stock rim with no problems (per Procycle site, in tire reviews). I think I will going back to get the tire replaced at the shop this time. I am bummed by the experience, but will ask nicely how to resolve it and see where we go from there.
Just realize that they will likely not be able to do anything for you. They put the correct size on the bike, and now they have a used tire if they swap it for a bigger one.
I ran a few shops and I would not be able to help you, other than maybe a deal on another tire or something.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:40 PM   #74914
Skidmarkart
Dirty Middle Age Man

Understood - however, they didn't have the tire they quoted me. They just called and said "we don't have that tire (A Shinko dual sport that was larger) but we do have a road tire" - they didn't tell me that it was a different size. I am not trying to be a d**k about it, they are a small indy shop. I hopefully can work something out... I understand they now have a used tire, but honestly, the fact they put a different size tire on is partially their fault.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #74915
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
M-Dave -

Based on those pictures, you went right down to the base plate (and even into it some). Did you check the rotors for minimum thickness (or damage)?
Damage - of course there is some along a certain line.

Thickness - no, I did not check. Both sides were all the way down, but only one was so far that it went into the base plate in that pictured area.

The brake works fine, and even still worked (just not quite as well) on the ride to the motorcycle parts place. What that tells me is that, since I will never let them get this low again (I've never had a primarily street bike's front brake go out this fast - I just didn't expect to have to check it at 7900 miles), I will have enough rotor thickness in the future... at least for a while.

It's certainly something I'll file away in the back of my head for miles down the road, but I may switch to a larger rotor by that time anyhow. Thanks, though, for the point - it's taken.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:20 PM   #74916
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
Quote:
Any one switch to a street tire and find it looks TINY on their bike?

I picked up a new set of tires over the weekend. I was going for an 80/20 tire because I ride mostly street. Well, the shop called and said they didn't have the tire we had discussed in stock, but they had another very similar tire. I told them to go ahead and mount it, when I picked the bike up - I didn't inspect it as well as I should have (the Tarheels were playing in 10 minutes, I had to get home for the game!).

Anyway, when I when out to check it out later, I realized the tire looks TINY on my bike. It's a 130/70-17 Shinko 712... seems to be a pretty common tire from my readings, but it looks like hell. Like a tiny 250 street bike tire with loads of room all around it, on the swing-arm, chain, etc. I am not sure I want to ride it for 3000 miles.

Another question - What is the proper size for a DR650 for dual sport... I think a 140/90-17 would be a lot closer. I am thinking of taking it back to the shop and getting them change it out to another tire.
You should definitely take it back, generally a 130/70 should not be mounted on a rim any narrower than 3.0" and the DR rear rim is only 2.5" so the tire will be pinched and the profile will be wrong which could potentially be unsafe...in any case you will not be able to use the whole tire and will have big chicken strips. There is a very handy rim width vs. tire size general reference at http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/...Size_Chart.pdf
but you should check the tire makers site to be sure. So far as balancing goes a static balancer with cones works fine on DR wheels, I got one from Harbor Freight but from what I've read lately they have not been packed well and the axles tend to be bent so another source might be better.
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:47 PM   #74917
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
, Let me tell you about my bad experience with a small store and ordering tires. When my stock tires wore out on my DR I went into this independent store here in Sacramento and ordered a set of tires in person. I had the sizes written out on a piece of paper and gave it to the employee. He proceeded to look up the part numbers and prices, write them on an order slip and order them. I paid for the tires plus shipping and got a receipt that listed the part number but not the tire size.

When the tires arrived the store delivered them to a shop close by for mounting. I rode my bike in and the shop mounted the rear with no problem and then dismounted the old front tire and started to remount the new one but quickly realized that the tire was a 19 inches not 21!!! The shop remounted the old tire and I rode back to the store. The store said I order the wrong tire and they would not refund my $$$. I said "BS here is the order form filled out by your employee and here is my notes on tire size". After a period of heated discussions they refunded my money for the tire but not for shipping - bastards!

The shop on the other hand was great - In the end they only charged me for the one tire mounting - even when I went back to with the correct tire for the front.

Quote:
Understood - however, they didn't have the tire they quoted me. They just called and said "we don't have that tire (A Shinko dual sport that was larger) but we do have a road tire" - they didn't tell me that it was a different size. I am not trying to be a d**k about it, they are a small indy shop. I hopefully can work something out... I understand they now have a used tire, but honestly, the fact they put a different size tire on is partially their fault.

DR650 - Eyes open all of the time
Escaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:53 PM   #74918
garnaro
MotoBlunderer

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
What is the "this" you are referring to?Yes. Going to two lift holes halves the life of the slide guide, emulsion tube, slide and possibly jet needle. Enlarging two lift holes to .125" halves the life again.

Regards,

Derek

By 'this' I meant the extra wear on the slide and the jet needle. Very good to know as I never considered this. Throttle response is somewhat improved with the drilled slide, but before a long trip I may just put a stock slide back in.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:00 PM   #74919
Skidmarkart
Dirty Middle Age Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaped View Post
The store said I order the wrong tire and they would not refund my $$$. I said "BS here is the order form filled out by your employee and here is my notes on tire size". After a period of heated discussions they refunded my money for the tire but not for shipping - bastards!
Damn - that sucks. Hop eyou gave them a lovely Yelp review.

I don't think these guys were doing anything bad intentionally - it was an honest mistake. I should have come in and looked at the other tire, and they should have told me it was a different size. I just hope they have a decent attitude about it.

Honestly, IMHO that's the real sign of a decent shop. How do they act when something goes wrong? Guess I will find out soon.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:43 PM   #74920
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuckey View Post
an off idle stumble - harder to get moving, I've stalled it more than once at lower elevations forgetting that it needs more throttle to get moving. ....

Yes my mileage has improved lately. Don't really know why. Not riding it any differently. From a normal 48 ish to about 52 mpg.
I've seen these exact symptoms. The problem turned out to be the plastic washer on the needle was severely worn which was causing the needle to run in a lower (leaner) position. If that's what is happening with your bike you can flip the plastic washer over and be back to the original needle height.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:17 PM   #74921
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
Considering the multiple reports of pinging, at least some of which were on a completely stock bike, I would not recommend opening the airbox and jetting lean unless I was able to verify that the engine was in a safe zone with regards to detonation.

Regards,

Derek
I'm not suggesting jetting leaner than stock or too lean ... but to MATCH stock jetting ... or get close.

When the air box is opened and carb re-jetted, DJ (or other) needle installed, jetting is typically set richer than stock to compensate for the open air box and more free flowing air filter. (IE: from stock 140 Mikuni Main jet to a 160 Dyno Jet main jet)

All I suggest is don't go TOO RICH on the Main jet or needle clip position ... try to match stock jetting. Obviously if pinging occurs ... you've got a problem ... and I'm betting in some cases it's the "loose nut behind the wheel" ! (Lugging?)

I've ridden 3 brand new DR650's ... going back to 1996. No pinging on any of them running mostly regular gas. Also, my riding group now has 6 DR riders ... no pinging reported among that group either. 3 are stock, 3 are opened up and re-jetted. We've ridden together 10 years and about 50,000 miles. Almost always a DR or three on our rides.

But always best to start a bit rich and lean things out step by step. Experts would use a gas analyzer and dyno to get the set up precise. YMMV.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:25 PM   #74922
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaped View Post
The shop on the other hand was great - In the end they only charged me for the one tire mounting - even when I went back to with the correct tire for the front.
I can see paying someone to change and mount a rear tire ...but honestly, the front is a piece of cake. Do it your self. Once you get it down .... maybe you can tackle the rear tire?
Remember: it's Technique, Not Technical.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:14 PM   #74923
french horn
Just Add venture

Oddometer: 455
Looking for advice ... my sons' DR got drowned in the Bundaberg floods.. A mate of his took it home and "checked it out" ... I'm not sure what he found but after a few days said it was now OK.
Son rode it home ( a few K's ), then it wouldn't go again.

Here's the question: ... bike shop has looked at it and estimates $3000 to fix it ... WHAT COULD BE WRONG? ... I thought an oil change would resolve the "swim" .... any/all thoughts appreciated.

french horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:44 PM   #74924
VooDooDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by french horn View Post
Looking for advice ... my sons' DR got drowned in the Bundaberg floods.. A mate of his took it home and "checked it out" ... I'm not sure what he found but after a few days said it was now OK.
Son rode it home ( a few K's ), then it wouldn't go again.

Here's the question: ... bike shop has looked at it and estimates $3000 to fix it ... WHAT COULD BE WRONG? ... I thought an oil change would resolve the "swim" .... any/all thoughts appreciated.
Sorry, but not enough information...

Was it making noises when it 'stopped'?
Was it running when son turned it off, or did it die and refuse to re-start?
Did it stop violently or with a "bang"?
What was the $3000 estimate for?
What did the shop say needing fixing?
VooDooDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:25 PM   #74925
reinstein7
n00b

Oddometer: 7
2013 DR650se NEW WOOT

Im the damn proud owner of a new dr, love this site, just wanted to let yall know that dr350 ims super stock pegs bolt right up to the new 650 and what a damn fine addition to the already damn fine dr. nuff said bout the pegs, got the best rack for the rear and mounted the three gallon black rotopax tool box with locking t bar looks sweet, put oil filter magnet and oil drain plug magnet on it. way more goodies on the way, quickly before the wife notices! postin picks ina few weeks. posted all my new dr350s stuff on this site and sold it all, want to thank all of you that bought it, thats over a grand of goodies for the new zuk. one question, any reason to switch my petcock to the pingle? or just wait till the oem wears out?

Reinstein7
reinstein7 is offline   Reply With Quote