Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 07:25 PM   #74956
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaped View Post
The shop on the other hand was great - In the end they only charged me for the one tire mounting - even when I went back to with the correct tire for the front.
I can see paying someone to change and mount a rear tire ...but honestly, the front is a piece of cake. Do it your self. Once you get it down .... maybe you can tackle the rear tire?
Remember: it's Technique, Not Technical.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:14 PM   #74957
french horn
Just Add venture

Oddometer: 371
Looking for advice ... my sons' DR got drowned in the Bundaberg floods.. A mate of his took it home and "checked it out" ... I'm not sure what he found but after a few days said it was now OK.
Son rode it home ( a few K's ), then it wouldn't go again.

Here's the question: ... bike shop has looked at it and estimates $3000 to fix it ... WHAT COULD BE WRONG? ... I thought an oil change would resolve the "swim" .... any/all thoughts appreciated.

french horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:44 PM   #74958
VooDooDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by french horn View Post
Looking for advice ... my sons' DR got drowned in the Bundaberg floods.. A mate of his took it home and "checked it out" ... I'm not sure what he found but after a few days said it was now OK.

Here's the question: ... bike shop has looked at it and estimates $3000 to fix it ... WHAT COULD BE WRONG? ... I thought an oil change would resolve the "swim" .... any/all thoughts appreciated.
Sorry, but not enough information...

Was it making noises when it 'stopped'?
Was it running when son turned it off, or did it die and refuse to re-start?
Did it stop violently or with a "bang"?
What was the $3000 estimate for?
What did the shop say needing fixing?
VooDooDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #74959
reinstein7
n00b

Oddometer: 7
2013 DR650se NEW WOOT

Im the damn proud owner of a new dr, love this site, just wanted to let yall know that dr350 ims super stock pegs bolt right up to the new 650 and what a damn fine addition to the already damn fine dr. nuff said bout the pegs, got the best rack for the rear and mounted the three gallon black rotopax tool box with locking t bar looks sweet, put oil filter magnet and oil drain plug magnet on it. way more goodies on the way, quickly before the wife notices! postin picks ina few weeks. posted all my new dr350s stuff on this site and sold it all, want to thank all of you that bought it, thats over a grand of goodies for the new zuk. one question, any reason to switch my petcock to the pingle? or just wait till the oem wears out?

Reinstein7
reinstein7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:35 PM   #74960
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinstein7 View Post
Im the damn proud owner of a new dr,
Welcome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinstein7 View Post
one question, any reason to switch my petcock to the pingle? or just wait till the oem wears out?

Reinstein7
I don't get the Pingle love. The manual Yamaha Raptor petcock is $25.

I just installed the stock vacuum petcock on my new Acerbis 5.3 gallon tank. Oh, the petcock has 9 years and 44,323 miles.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:23 PM   #74961
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,866
Reinstein7, Welcome, you will surely enjoy the DR650. I have a Pingel petcock and like it very much. I am sure the Raptor petcock works very well also, and does cost a lot less.

The only reason I like a manual petcock is that is all I have ever had and I understand it and turning it off is automatic for me.
YnotJP? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:31 PM   #74962
french horn
Just Add venture

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDooDaddy View Post
Sorry, but not enough information...

Was it making noises when it 'stopped'?
Was it running when son turned it off, or did it die and refuse to re-start?
Did it stop violently or with a "bang"?
What was the $3000 estimate for?
What did the shop say needing fixing?
Thanks for the response, .... that's all I know at the moment, I'll try getting that info asap...may take a few days.

cheers
french horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:51 AM   #74963
kezzajohnson
kezza

Oddometer: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
Is anyone here aware of a year by year comparison of DR650 models since their inception?

Is there a first, second or third generation on these?

If I were looking for newer, is there a model year range that is basically the same as the 2013 model?

EPA Q's:

Has pollution control crept into this model?

Is there a "50 state" model and a "49 state model"?

Thanks!

You might find the answers here somewhere: follow this link and have a look at the DR history pages;

http://dr650.zenseeker.net/

"May the Road Never Rise to Defeat you..."
kezzajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:35 AM   #74964
rand0mlychrisUK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Question What a Shock

Would a '92 RS rear shock absorber fit a '93 RSE? IE, do they share most mechanical parts, or would they each have their own configuration and spares?
Cheers,
Chris
rand0mlychrisUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:24 AM   #74965
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
I've seen these exact symptoms. The problem turned out to be the plastic washer on the needle was severely worn which was causing the needle to run in a lower (leaner) position. If that's what is happening with your bike you can flip the plastic washer over and be back to the original needle height.
Thanks, Jeff. If I'm going to open it up anyway, think I'll do a complete refresh. Heck, might buy a used carb too and then I can screw with one and still have one I know is going to be OK!
kbuckey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:35 AM   #74966
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 7,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by rand0mlychrisUK View Post
Would a '92 RS rear shock absorber fit a '93 RSE? IE, do they share most mechanical parts, or would they each have their own configuration and spares?
Cheers,
Chris
Chris, Almost everyone here has the newest generation (if you can consider 1996 new ) DR650's

best to ask here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61568

These guys are far more likely to be able to answer your question.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:15 AM   #74967
SkunkWizard
recycle crime scene tape

Oddometer: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
Is anyone here aware of a year by year comparison of DR650 models since their inception?

Is there a first, second or third generation on these?

If I were looking for newer, is there a model year range that is basically the same as the 2013 model?

EPA Q's:

Has pollution control crept into this model?

Is there a "50 state" model and a "49 state model"?

Thanks!
The Kalifornia bike has a different gas tank (few oz smaller for recovery hose or some shite)
SkunkWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:25 AM   #74968
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by french horn

If the bike was completely under water (and, it sounds like it was), the wiring harness will be garbage. This may explain why it won't run now. You could try looking for a complete harness from a wrecked DR. $3000 is probably to completely tear the bike apart and to replace the wiring as well as to ensure all the water is removed (from everywhere). When this happens in the US, the vehicle is marked as "salvage" on the title and the insurance company declares it a total loss. Some of these "flood cars" come back to haunt the unwary via the unscrupulous. The usual issue is electrical because the harness has corroded.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:50 AM   #74969
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 1,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I'm not suggesting jetting leaner than stock or too lean ... but to MATCH stock jetting ... or get close.

When the air box is opened and carb re-jetted, DJ (or other) needle installed, jetting is typically set richer than stock to compensate for the open air box and more free flowing air filter. (IE: from stock 140 Mikuni Main jet to a 160 Dyno Jet main jet)

All I suggest is don't go TOO RICH on the Main jet or needle clip position ... try to match stock jetting. Obviously if pinging occurs ... you've got a problem ... and I'm betting in some cases it's the "loose nut behind the wheel" ! (Lugging?)

I've ridden 3 brand new DR650's ... going back to 1996. No pinging on any of them running mostly regular gas. Also, my riding group now has 6 DR riders ... no pinging reported among that group either. 3 are stock, 3 are opened up and re-jetted. We've ridden together 10 years and about 50,000 miles. Almost always a DR or three on our rides.

Running lean isn't going to cause pinging. That's a result of timing advance and octane. Rather, running lean will give you a lean "surge" and running rich will cause the engine to bog.

FWIW, I picked up a used Wideband O2 sensor on eBay a few years ago. I welded a bung into the head pipes of my bikes and use that for verifying jetting. It works great!

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
'01 Yamaha FZ1

Rob.G screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 10:02 AM
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:53 AM   #74970
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 599
NE Oregon

Hey Reinstein, welcome, I'm in Utah now but make occasional trips to home turf Pendleton. Lot's of great riding there, maybe we'll get in a ride when I come through.
Phil Mc
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote