Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 08:34 PM   #75046
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by barko1 View Post
They pushed out some good dealers that couldn't afford the boutique dealership that BMW wanted and left some geographical areas without a dealer for miles. They remind me of HD
They booted a crummy dealership in this town, and went with a larger one which takes the whole thing a lot more seriously. We applauded that and bought two new F twins shortly after that.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:22 PM   #75047
SoPaRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Thumb

Thanks to everyone who offered up answers to my questions and to everyone else who makes this thread a great educational tool for all things concerning the DR650 and other stuff too! One question I didn't get a reply for was in regards to fork braces, who's got one, who had one and removed it and who never considered one in the first place? I've only come across two different types, one from SuperBrace and one from RSW Racing.

Thanks again,

Jeff
P.M. me for copies of my 15 Michaux State Forest Dual Sport Routes; check the Trip Planning/Tent Space Sign-Up Thread/Page 33/Post #492/8-2011 for info on our "Motorcyclist Manor"; IT'S FREE!.
48 states, D.C., 5 provinces and Bermuda down; the rest of the world to go!
SoPaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:48 PM   #75048
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
What I wish would happen is that they call the dealers and see if they have fork seals and a throttle cable in stock. That is the test, not how many bikes they push out the door. Then people who want a Suz will travel to where they can get a bike. Then the remaining dealers will be worth visiting after the sale.
Unfortunately, the ones who have those things in stock are likely to be the ones who are already in trouble because they can't manage their inventory properly. For most dealers there wouldn't be enough sales volume for those items to justify the up front cost of keeping those things on hand. 25 years ago any item on the shelf had to sell at least 4 times per year to be worth taking up shelf space and working capital. These days with lower margins and more part numbers that sales volume is more like 10 times per year. When you think of all the different parts for all the different models there is no realistic way a dealer is going to be able to keep on hand stock of the parts the owners of all those different models would expect to buy.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:55 PM   #75049
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,108
Jeff, thanks for the insight.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:18 AM   #75050
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoPaRider View Post
One question I didn't get a reply for was in regards to fork braces, who's got one, who had one and removed it and who never considered one in the first place? I've only come across two different types, one from SuperBrace and one from RSW Racing.

Jeff
I installed one 4 years ago from rsw racing and honestly i didn't see much difference from the time i rode without it. I removed it 2 years ago, it only add more work for me when i have to work on my front end. I would suggest to save ur money for something more important/usefull like tires, brakes, service/tune ups etc...
Old 03-23-2013, 02:37 AM   #75051
YankeeCajun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Need a front brake line for 96 and up DR 650

I need a front brake line. Anybody out there have one for sale? Can be rubber (if its not too old) or braided steel.
YankeeCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:42 AM   #75052
french horn
Just Add venture

Oddometer: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Could be something as simple as water in the fuel tank or Carb. Flush out tank with Diesel, drain Carb bowl. Flush and clean Carb. Clean air box of all dirt and mud. Clean intake tract leading from air box into Carb.

DO NOT START THE BIKE .. first ..

Look at the oil. Is it light Brown or Green? If so ... drain it, flush crankcase with Diesel. If not? Drain it anyway, do an oil/filter change.

Could be a wiring issue ... but I would NOT replace the harness. No need.
It's just wet and unless its sat wet for months ... then it just needs connectors pulled apart, dried out and Dilectric grease applied to all connectors and plugs. Big Job.

Don't forget the brakes! You should flush out and clean both front and rear calipers, flush system with fresh brake fluid. Repeat after a month.

Starter: Best to remove, disassemble and clean.

Bearings: Clean and re-grease. If any rust ... replace. (don't forget cushion link bearings)

Hopefully no water or m ud got into bottom end of the motor while it was running. This would not be good. Once everything above is done, fresh oil and fuel added. Give it a shot. I'll bet it's OK. Good luck!
Did you read a library to find all this info? ....I'm impressed .... thanks heaps A.G. .... I'll keep yuz posted

cheers
french horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:46 AM   #75053
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoPaRider View Post
My '09 DR650SE has 2,400 miles on it and I'm in the beginning stages of prepping it for a North Amercan tour, I'm trying to decide between the Rach Tech Emulators and the Ricor Intiminators, having just read the posts by Mattawanderer and TrophyHunter concerning their Race Tech Emulator install and then reading Distech and TrophyHunter's DIY's, has anyone posted a DIY on the Intiminators? I plan to use my DR as a 50/50 dual sport, fully loaded with camping gear, fire/forest roads will probably be as far off road as I will get and that will be done at conservative speeds?! Has anyone had the chance to try both types? and what are the +'s and -'s of each.

Thanks,

Jeff

'09 DR650SE
'07 wee-strom
'96 DR350/441S
I believe the general consensus is that the Race Tech emulators are more effective for the rough stuff and Intiminators work well for street and mild offroad duty.

Installation is more involved with the emulators requiring damping tube removal and drilling. Intiminators require fork removal (for draining fluid) but no further disassembly. Spring preload spacers need to be made in either case.
acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:02 AM   #75054
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by 805gregg View Post
I like the stock choke on the bars, easy and works
Till you fall the right way or snag the cable on brush and break the plastic housing that screws in to the carb body. Then the bike runs horribly till you can get it fixed. I am willing to bet you local Suzuki dealer doesn't have the cable in stock.

Ask me how I know this.

I now have the DR350 knob style on my DR
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:11 AM   #75055
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
It's in the rocks/roots where you may need them.
Knobs + embedded rock/root that the tyre can't spit out the back and violently grips on. Can cause issues...
We don't have roots but we have rocks. Never a problem for me but that doesn't mean it isn't a good ideas.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:15 AM   #75056
Otis357
Dirty Hippie

Oddometer: 423
Need a little more pep....

If I'm looking for a little performance boost on my stock DR, is a new muffler worth the investment? The FMF pipes claim to improve horsepower and torque, but Id like to hear from folks who have spent the $$... was it worth it?

Planning a long road trio this summer, and would like to do something to give the DR a little more pep and improve highway riding. Installing a 16t sprocket with my new chain for the ride, but what else can be done for < $400?

Cheers....
Otis357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:17 AM   #75057
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Unfortunately, the ones who have those things in stock are likely to be the ones who are already in trouble because they can't manage their inventory properly. For most dealers there wouldn't be enough sales volume for those items to justify the up front cost of keeping those things on hand. 25 years ago any item on the shelf had to sell at least 4 times per year to be worth taking up shelf space and working capital. These days with lower margins and more part numbers that sales volume is more like 10 times per year. When you think of all the different parts for all the different models there is no realistic way a dealer is going to be able to keep on hand stock of the parts the owners of all those different models would expect to buy.
But common wear items like fork seals for a model run of 17 years that also fit lots of other models like RMX and some RM's is unacceptable. ( at least have a pair, they had 1)

I even looked up what Kaw model might have this same size seal (my deealer has Kaw & Yam also) and it would be most of the KDX and KLX bikes and they didn't have that either.

It's no better down the street at the KTM shop. Twice I have blown water pump seals. Neither time have the had any. This is for an RFS motor that was in almost every 4 stroke KTM from 2000 - 2007. When I called the second time, about 18 months after the first try, they said, we haven't sold any in over 2 years. Well, I wonder how many they missed on because they never had them, because that wouldn't be true if they had'em 18 months ago. Plus, if they did have them, I would have picked up a gasket and a bottle of Engine Ice. Instead it came UPS.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:21 AM   #75058
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis357 View Post
If I'm looking for a little performance boost on my stock DR, is a new muffler worth the investment? The FMF pipes claim to improve horsepower and torque, but Id like to hear from folks who have spent the $$... was it worth it?

Planning a long road trio this summer, and would like to do something to give the DR a little more pep and improve highway riding. Installing a 16t sprocket with my new chain for the ride, but what else can be done for < $400?

Cheers....
have you removed the snorkel and adjusted the fuel screw yet? That is job 1.

A muffler won't do tons for performance, and certainly not until you've done more drastic things to the intake. An FMF will reduce the weight by 12 lbs or so and look a lot better.
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:32 AM   #75059
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY
I have supported the local dealers in Louisville, Ky area since early in 2002. Unfortunately parts and service has only declined. I have never ordered a Suzuki part from a out off town dealer but after reading about dealers being cut I sincerely hope Suzuki cuts all the dealers in this area so that someone else will acquire the franchise.

TravelGuy.
A similar thing happened to me, except with Honda (and, they were a Suzuki dealer, too). The parts guys were great but the service and sales guys were not. Honda pulled their franchise (I heard this from one of the parts guys that ended up down the road @ the Yamaha dealer) and they closed (goodbye Suzi dealer, too). No one has picked up the Honda franchise so now I have to drive several towns over to get to Honda and in a different direction for Suzuki. Granted, in the Chicago suburbs that's probably not as far as you drive but visiting a dealer has become less convenient (for me). I don't rely on them often but when I do need their help, it's nice to have them (relatively) close by.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:22 AM   #75060
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpet View Post
have you removed the snorkel and adjusted the fuel screw yet? That is job 1.

A muffler won't do tons for performance, and certainly not until you've done more drastic things to the intake. An FMF will reduce the weight by 12 lbs or so and look a lot better.

X2. I'd like to see dyno results on a well tuned bike with an opened up airbox and aftermarket muffler with and without the bigger header. I wonder if the muffler does any good if the exhaust still has to escape through that stock pipe, especially with the weld crap in many. Seems like the bigger header would help but I'm no engineer. Seat of the pants says the open airbox (per Jesse) a rejet, and a bigger header and less restrictive muffler are well worth it. I would make the gearing any higher than what I think is an already to higher gear ratio. Best performance boost for the $$ is a 14 tooth unless your objective is to drone the interstate and maybe save a mpg or to.
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote