Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 07:08 PM   #75046
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,305
SoPaRider; I also have a 2009 with a IMS tank. I have the choke that is bolted to the side of the engine, from Procycle. I like it and it is not problem to reach it. i have heard that the one that does not have the short cable is with the IMS tank.

Enjoy your trip, and take lots of pitures.
YnotJP? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:10 PM   #75047
3DChief
"Moto therapist"

Oddometer: 411
I have the remote choke from ProCycle mounted to the case and an IMS tank. No way I would mess with the one directly on the carb. About 10K miles with it, more than half of it off road and no issues with brush/rocks/trees. It is well protected by your leg when riding and doesn't stick out past the case if you drop the bike. I can operate it while sitting on the bike and like having the visual reference to be able to see if it is on or off.

Tim
3DChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:18 PM   #75048
kezzajohnson
kezza

Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DChief View Post
I have the remote choke from ProCycle mounted to the case and an IMS tank. No way I would mess with the one directly on the carb. About 10K miles with it, more than half of it off road and no issues with brush/rocks/trees. It is well protected by your leg when riding and doesn't stick out past the case if you drop the bike. I can operate it while sitting on the bike and like having the visual reference to be able to see if it is on or off.

Tim
Yes granted. Anything is an improvement on the stock choke setup and getting damaged wasn't a consideration or concern for me when changing it. I was talking about the stock choke cable setup being dodgy because the cable goes tight and slack when you turn the handlebars. I was kind of wishing that I had purchased the case mounted one once I had fitted the direct to carby one and especially when I realised how fiddly it is to operate. Luckily I live in a warm climate and only have to use the choke first up in the mornings only and not leave on for long. Bike is warm enough to ride once I have my riding gear on and I am ready to mount the bike, so I can switch it off before I ride.

"May the Road Never Rise to Defeat you..."
kezzajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:36 PM   #75049
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,531
I like the stock choke on the bars, easy and works
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:58 PM   #75050
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 623
I have supported the local dealers in Louisville, Ky area since early in 2002. Unfortunately parts and service has only declined. I have never ordered a Suzuki part from a out off town dealer but after reading about dealers being cut I sincerely hope Suzuki cuts all the dealers in this area so that someone else will acquire the franchise.

TravelGuy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
For the most part, I concur, especially when it comes to pricing. However, when I do need dealer support, and there's none to be had, then I'm partially to blame for not supporting them to begin with.
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:02 PM   #75051
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 623
I have used both choke options on my DR's. I liked the one that is mounted on the side of the carb best but the remote one is not in any real danger of damage.

TravelGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoPaRider View Post
I have a '09 DR650SE with a stock BST-40 carb and a IMS 4.9 gallon tank and I would like to move the choke under the tank, if you go with the choke knob attached directly to the carb, it looks like it would be a tight fit between the throttle cables and the bottom of the tank and if you go with the remote cable operated choke that attaches to the side of the engine, it looks like it would be exposed to possible damage, anyone have any experience with either of these set ups?

Jeff
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:34 PM   #75052
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by barko1 View Post
They pushed out some good dealers that couldn't afford the boutique dealership that BMW wanted and left some geographical areas without a dealer for miles. They remind me of HD
They booted a crummy dealership in this town, and went with a larger one which takes the whole thing a lot more seriously. We applauded that and bought two new F twins shortly after that.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:22 PM   #75053
SoPaRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Thumb

Thanks to everyone who offered up answers to my questions and to everyone else who makes this thread a great educational tool for all things concerning the DR650 and other stuff too! One question I didn't get a reply for was in regards to fork braces, who's got one, who had one and removed it and who never considered one in the first place? I've only come across two different types, one from SuperBrace and one from RSW Racing.

Thanks again,

Jeff
P.M. me for copies of my 15 Michaux State Forest Dual Sport Routes; check the Trip Planning/Tent Space Sign-Up Thread/Page 33/Post #492/8-2011 for info on our "Motorcyclist Manor"; IT'S FREE!.
48 states, D.C., 5 provinces and Bermuda down; the rest of the world to go!
SoPaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:48 PM   #75054
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
What I wish would happen is that they call the dealers and see if they have fork seals and a throttle cable in stock. That is the test, not how many bikes they push out the door. Then people who want a Suz will travel to where they can get a bike. Then the remaining dealers will be worth visiting after the sale.
Unfortunately, the ones who have those things in stock are likely to be the ones who are already in trouble because they can't manage their inventory properly. For most dealers there wouldn't be enough sales volume for those items to justify the up front cost of keeping those things on hand. 25 years ago any item on the shelf had to sell at least 4 times per year to be worth taking up shelf space and working capital. These days with lower margins and more part numbers that sales volume is more like 10 times per year. When you think of all the different parts for all the different models there is no realistic way a dealer is going to be able to keep on hand stock of the parts the owners of all those different models would expect to buy.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:55 PM   #75055
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Jeff, thanks for the insight.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:18 AM   #75056
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,876
Quote:
One question I didn't get a reply for was in regards to fork braces, who's got one, who had one and removed it and who never considered one in the first place? I've only come across two different types, one from SuperBrace and one from RSW Racing.

Jeff
I installed one 4 years ago from rsw racing and honestly i didn't see much difference from the time i rode without it. I removed it 2 years ago, it only add more work for me when i have to work on my front end. I would suggest to save ur money for something more important/usefull like tires, brakes, service/tune ups etc...
Old 03-23-2013, 02:37 AM   #75057
YankeeCajun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Need a front brake line for 96 and up DR 650

I need a front brake line. Anybody out there have one for sale? Can be rubber (if its not too old) or braided steel.
YankeeCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:42 AM   #75058
french horn
Just Add venture

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Could be something as simple as water in the fuel tank or Carb. Flush out tank with Diesel, drain Carb bowl. Flush and clean Carb. Clean air box of all dirt and mud. Clean intake tract leading from air box into Carb.

DO NOT START THE BIKE .. first ..

Look at the oil. Is it light Brown or Green? If so ... drain it, flush crankcase with Diesel. If not? Drain it anyway, do an oil/filter change.

Could be a wiring issue ... but I would NOT replace the harness. No need.
It's just wet and unless its sat wet for months ... then it just needs connectors pulled apart, dried out and Dilectric grease applied to all connectors and plugs. Big Job.

Don't forget the brakes! You should flush out and clean both front and rear calipers, flush system with fresh brake fluid. Repeat after a month.

Starter: Best to remove, disassemble and clean.

Bearings: Clean and re-grease. If any rust ... replace. (don't forget cushion link bearings)

Hopefully no water or m ud got into bottom end of the motor while it was running. This would not be good. Once everything above is done, fresh oil and fuel added. Give it a shot. I'll bet it's OK. Good luck!
Did you read a library to find all this info? ....I'm impressed .... thanks heaps A.G. .... I'll keep yuz posted

cheers
french horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:46 AM   #75059
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 621
Quote:
My '09 DR650SE has 2,400 miles on it and I'm in the beginning stages of prepping it for a North Amercan tour, I'm trying to decide between the Rach Tech Emulators and the Ricor Intiminators, having just read the posts by Mattawanderer and TrophyHunter concerning their Race Tech Emulator install and then reading Distech and TrophyHunter's DIY's, has anyone posted a DIY on the Intiminators? I plan to use my DR as a 50/50 dual sport, fully loaded with camping gear, fire/forest roads will probably be as far off road as I will get and that will be done at conservative speeds?! Has anyone had the chance to try both types? and what are the +'s and -'s of each.

Thanks,

Jeff

'09 DR650SE
'07 wee-strom
'96 DR350/441S
I believe the general consensus is that the Race Tech emulators are more effective for the rough stuff and Intiminators work well for street and mild offroad duty.

Installation is more involved with the emulators requiring damping tube removal and drilling. Intiminators require fork removal (for draining fluid) but no further disassembly. Spring preload spacers need to be made in either case.
acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:02 AM   #75060
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by 805gregg View Post
I like the stock choke on the bars, easy and works
Till you fall the right way or snag the cable on brush and break the plastic housing that screws in to the carb body. Then the bike runs horribly till you can get it fixed. I am willing to bet you local Suzuki dealer doesn't have the cable in stock.

Ask me how I know this.

I now have the DR350 knob style on my DR
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote