The latest on Suzuki news :
http://www.dealernews.com/dealernews...le-atv-dealers
Old 03-22-2013, 11:58 AM   #75047
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY View Post

What I wish would happen is that they call the dealers and see if they have fork seals and a throttle cable in stock. That is the test, not how many bikes they push out the door. Then people who want a Suz will travel to where they can get a bike. Then the remaining dealers will be worth visiting after the sale.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:22 PM   #75048
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
This is a good thing. Suzuki, IMO, are way over due in doing this "House Cleaning". Get rid of bad, unproductive dealers. Triumph went through this about 5-6 years back. BMW too. BMW have very strict guidelines that many could not follow ... so they lost their franchise.

There are way too many multi-brand dealers who make NO EFFORT to push Suzuki. They don't stock any parts ... not even routine tune up parts ... they don't advertise unless Suzuki is paying ... and they don't sell bikes and could really care less.

The Dealers are in a tough spot too ... but not everyone is "good" at selling motorcycles and running a business. For years motorcycles all sold themselves and the dealers only had to take money and count it. It was a gold mine business anyone could (and did!) make money at.

NOW ... only the good ones will survive. As it should be.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #75049
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
What I wish would happen is that they call the dealers and see if they have fork seals and a throttle cable in stock. That is the test, .
Buying parts from dealers is a joke, i, like so many here, order on line and get what i want faster with better service.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:33 PM   #75050
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,451
Well, I hope Grants Pass Suzuki is one of the dealers cut.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:36 PM   #75051
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY
Buying parts from dealers is a joke, i, like so many here, order on line and get what i want faster with better service.
For the most part, I concur, especially when it comes to pricing. However, when I do need dealer support, and there's none to be had, then I'm partially to blame for not supporting them to begin with.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #75052
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,374
Quote:
Plus, I save the price of gasoline in my truck by not driving to the dealer to find out they don't have what I want. I haven't been able to get fork seals for years at the dealer one town away. But the suspension shop 2 towns over had them as well as wheel bearings and spacers and brake pads.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #75053
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
BMW have very strict guidelines that many could not follow ... so they lost their franchise.
They pushed out some good dealers that couldn't afford the boutique dealership that BMW wanted and left some geographical areas without a dealer for miles. They remind me of HD
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #75054
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Plus, I save the price of gasoline in my truck by not driving to the dealer to find out they don't have what I want. I haven't been able to get fork seals for years at the dealer one town away. But the suspension shop 2 towns over had them as well as wheel bearings and spacers and brake pads.
And the multiline dealer here then charges shipping for a part I could have gotten easier and cheaper days sooner. Haven't been near the place for years
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:45 PM   #75055
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by barko1 View Post
They pushed out some good dealers that couldn't afford the boutique dealership that BMW wanted and left some geographical areas without a dealer for miles. They remind me of HD
dont forget GM
Old 03-22-2013, 02:00 PM   #75056
SoPaRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
My '09 DR650SE has 2,400 miles on it and I'm in the beginning stages of prepping it for a North Amercan tour, I'm trying to decide between the Rach Tech Emulators and the Ricor Intiminators, having just read the posts by Mattawanderer and TrophyHunter concerning their Race Tech Emulator install and then reading Distech and TrophyHunter's DIY's, has anyone posted a DIY on the Intiminators? I plan to use my DR as a 50/50 dual sport, fully loaded with camping gear, fire/forest roads will probably be as far off road as I will get and that will be done at conservative speeds?! Has anyone had the chance to try both types? and what are the +'s and -'s of each.

Thanks,

Jeff

'09 DR650SE
'07 wee-strom
'96 DR350/441S
P.M. me for copies of my 15 Michaux State Forest Dual Sport Routes; check the Trip Planning/Tent Space Sign-Up Thread/Page 33/Post #492/8-2011 for info on our "Motorcyclist Manor"; IT'S FREE!.
48 states, D.C., 5 provinces and Bermuda down; the rest of the world to go!
SoPaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:09 PM   #75057
SoPaRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
I have a '09 DR650SE with a stock BST-40 carb and a IMS 4.9 gallon tank and I would like to move the choke under the tank, if you go with the choke knob attached directly to the carb, it looks like it would be a tight fit between the throttle cables and the bottom of the tank and if you go with the remote cable operated choke that attaches to the side of the engine, it looks like it would be exposed to possible damage, anyone have any experience with either of these set ups?

Jeff
P.M. me for copies of my 15 Michaux State Forest Dual Sport Routes; check the Trip Planning/Tent Space Sign-Up Thread/Page 33/Post #492/8-2011 for info on our "Motorcyclist Manor"; IT'S FREE!.
48 states, D.C., 5 provinces and Bermuda down; the rest of the world to go!
SoPaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:42 PM   #75058
DisTech
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoPaRider View Post
My '09 DR650SE has 2,400 miles on it and I'm in the beginning stages of prepping it for a North Amercan tour, I'm trying to decide between the Rach Tech Emulators and the Ricor Intiminators, having just read the posts by Mattawanderer and TrophyHunter concerning their Race Tech Emulator install and then reading Distech and TrophyHunter's DIY's, has anyone posted a DIY on the Intiminators? I plan to use my DR as a 50/50 dual sport, fully loaded with camping gear, fire/forest roads will probably be as far off road as I will get and that will be done at conservative speeds?! Has anyone had the chance to try both types? and what are the +'s and -'s of each.

Thanks,

Jeff

'09 DR650SE
'07 wee-strom
'96 DR350/441S
  1. DR650SE information index- what say ye?
  2. DR650SE Index Topic #4- SUSPENSION/CHASSIS
  3. DR650: Intiminators (fork valving) install & review
Old 03-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #75059
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by barko1 View Post
For a while BMW required all dealers who carried another brand to display that brand in a separate building from BMW product.

Also, they began to conjoin motorcycle dealers INTO the Car dealers.
They actually did this in San Francisco ... and perhaps some other cities as well? Business was so bad that BMW had to quickly BACK OFF the policy.

San Fran BMW is now in a separate building to the BMW Car dealer. Every time I walked into SF BMW when the Car & Bike stores were together, I felt like a LEPER. The snooty sales guys would not even look in my direction! Bikes were put WAY in the back! Lasted about a year ... then Kaput.

The new guy who runs the BIKE ONLY dealership is great. I go by just to shoot the shit. Great guy, a pro, knows his product as well as any BMW guys I've ever met. Sells a TON of bikes.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:10 PM   #75060
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoPaRider View Post

Thanks,

Jeff

'09 DR650SE
'07 wee-strom
'96 DR350/441S
FWIW, I have no experience with the RaceTech product but I REALLY like my Ricor Intimidators.
thump! is online now   Reply With Quote