Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 06:06 AM   #75181
Carl Childers
Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DChief View Post
I posted this up about a year ago, but here it is again. If you turn the carb inlet to the rear, no high spots and you can get all the fuel out. It is also in the bike specific thread under fuel system. It's an IMS tank with Raptor petcock.

Tim
I'd like to do just that but can't get the elbow to budge!
Old 03-26-2013, 06:50 AM   #75182
Otis357
Dirty Hippie

Oddometer: 413
Anyone know if an after market seat (Renazzco) for an IMS tank will fit a DR with the Acerbis 5.3 gallon tank??
Otis357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:03 AM   #75183
disconnected
ultra runner

Oddometer: 6,556
It should, for comparision the Corbins for IMS work with the Acerbis. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis357 View Post
Anyone know if an after market seat (Renazzco) for an IMS tank will fit a DR with the Acerbis 5.3 gallon tank??
Old 03-26-2013, 07:09 AM   #75184
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper Dan
I have a reasonable amount of free play at the throttle. I adjusted out the free play via the adjuster located up on the handlebars. However, the throttle won't snap back when removing the corrected amount of free play.

Do I need to go down to the 'pull' cable to add some adjustment there, to help with the snap back OR do I need to leave it where it is and have that bit of free play??

Just to note, I don't have any binding (nor did I - but will check after I finish with adjustments).

thanks from the noob.
TD,

Didn't you adjust the 'pull' cable? If so, yes, you may need to slacken the 'push' cable to allow the butterfly to snap closed.

I know of a few folks that simply remove the 'push' cable as it's redundant (I have not but I did on my DR350SE). There's already a big return spring on the carburetor itself so why add another cable? Some opine that it's due to liability and the 'push' cable is some attorney's idea of how to reduce/eliminate said liability. YMMV.

So, adjust the 'pull' cable with slack in the 'push' cable. Then, remove the slack from the 'push' cable without binding things up. Extra slack in the 'push' cable won't harm anything.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:13 AM   #75185
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukegnarley
has anyone had the starter torque limiter start to slip? my bike has developed a weird whining sound when trying to start the bike. The engine will still turn over, but it sure doesn't sound right.

Any thoughts? It's a 2001. with about 7,000 miles.
My DR does that when temps are below 40 F. As inmate 'dman' indicated, the starter bushings need lubrication. Unfortunately, the starter can't be removed without pulling the cam chain tensioner. It's not difficult but it's not as trivial as just removing the starter and lubing the bushings.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:16 AM   #75186
shu

Oddometer: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoPaRider View Post
shu

As per your recommendations, today I ordered the same set of tires your running. I think this question was already asked, but what the heck, what tire pressures do you run, paved/rocks/sand? How far south of the boarder have you gotten on this ride? Enjoying your warm and sunny ride report from Mexico as it snowed here today too, forest roads are still frozen over in places and the highest HILLS we have are only 1,400 feet!

Jeff
Hi Jeff-

If you look at a map of Mexico we went to the farthest point south on the curve of the Pacific coastline. Little town called Puerto Angel, due south of Oaxaca. 95 - 98* F down there. We're now back up in the highlands west of Mexico City.

Tire pressure for MEFOs and Heidenaus: I've settled on 26 front and 28 rear. Plenty hard for the relatively lightweight DR and I've never worried about bending rims or slipping tires/tubes. Occasionally I'll lower the pressure for sand but never below 20 psi- maybe I'd ride sand better if I did but I don't want to risk my wheels etc.

...........shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:26 AM   #75187
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 588
I like!! Very impressive!!

TravelGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagLite View Post
Before I reach for a Kleenex, er, tissue, let's get back to DR's.

Here is the fiberglass tank I made with my first attempt at painting with base and 2 part clear coat.
And my first ever buffing and polishing effort.
It's not great, but good enough for a dirt bike

I was trying to get a good reflection on it.

All I have left to do is the lettering and pinstripes on the tank and tail, and to mount the oil cooler, chain, and chain guide...
It has been a fun project and I look forward to riding it.
Although I will be riding my other DR a lot more often. Now I have a street (and smooth dirt road) hot rod as well as my dual sport DR that is far more comfortable to ride.

Love it or hate it but it beats some of the boring posts recently.
If only because it has pictures
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:28 AM   #75188
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,720
Quote:
Only stiff seats like Corbins typically have a problem fitting different tanks.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:29 AM   #75189
disconnected
ultra runner

does anyone have any tips on how to get every last drop of fuel out of the stock DR tank.? I replaced my stock tank and have it for sale and there seems to be some fuel in there. I have poured what I could out of the petcock etc. I guess it may/should evaporate out of there?
Old 03-26-2013, 07:31 AM   #75190
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Didn't someone post recently that it could be possible to just pull the end cap off the starter to re lube the bushing with removing the cam chain tensioner?

TravelGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
My DR does that when temps are below 40 F. As inmate 'dman' indicated, the starter bushings need lubrication. Unfortunately, the starter can't be removed without pulling the cam chain tensioner. It's not difficult but it's not as trivial as just removing the starter and lubing the bushings.
DR650 '07
Old 03-26-2013, 07:35 AM   #75191
Krusty ...
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,592
Quote:
The Renazco's are built on the stock pan, so it should fit just fine.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:49 AM   #75192
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Did you find really heavy winds in the area of Puerto Angel? In 2008 on my way to Costa Rica we crossed into Guatemala at Tapachula Mx. Thought it must be the windiest place on earth. There were 100's of electric generating wind mills along that coastline for probably 40 miles. Was very dangerous riding with the high winds and sand on the pavement. One of the few times I have felt real fear on a motorcycle. Wish I had been riding my DR instead of my V Strom.

TravelGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
Hi Jeff-

If you look at a map of Mexico we went to the farthest point south on the curve of the Pacific coastline. Little town called Puerto Angel, due south of Oaxaca. 95 - 98* F down there. We're now back up in the highlands west of Mexico City.

Tire pressure for MEFOs and Heidenaus: I've settled on 26 front and 28 rear. Plenty hard for the relatively lightweight DR and I've never worried about bending rims or slipping tires/tubes. Occasionally I'll lower the pressure for sand but never below 20 psi- maybe I'd ride sand better if I did but I don't want to risk my wheels etc.

...........shu
DR650 '07
Old 03-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #75193
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
does anyone have any tips on how to get every last drop of fuel out of the stock DR tank.? I replaced my stock tank and have it for sale and there seems to be some fuel in there. I have poured what I could out of the petcock etc. I guess it may/should evaporate out of there?
Turn it upside down and shake the fuel out the filler. That will get most of it.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:10 AM   #75194
disconnected
ultra runner

thats what I did. Hoping in the next week, the rest evaporates.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Turn it upside down and shake the fuel out the filler. That will get most of it.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:16 AM   #75195
SoPaRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Hey shu

I did a quick check on googlemaps and it shows Puerto Angel is something like 2,300 miles south of Denver, another 1,700 miles and you guys would have ended up at the Panama Canal! I was just jealious, now I'm just pissed! So how many days did it take you to ride to Puerto Angel?

Jeff
P.M. me for copies of my 15 Michaux State Forest Dual Sport Routes; check the Trip Planning/Tent Space Sign-Up Thread/Page 33/Post #492/8-2011 for info on our "Motorcyclist Manor"; IT'S FREE!.
48 states, D.C., 5 provinces and Bermuda down; the rest of the world to go!
SoPaRider is offline   Reply With Quote