ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 06:16 PM   #75226
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 8,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
I pulled my starter over Christmas and lubed up the end cap bushing. It did need the CCT (AKA (Also Known As) Cam Chain Tensioner) and FCR (Flat ?? Flat slide carburetor manufactured by Keihin and often adapted to DR650s) removing, but not the exhaust. A stock BST (Bing?..... probably not as Bing is a German carburetor used on older BMWs (Bayerische Motoren Werke AG, a German car and motorcycle manufacturer) among others ( Dunno, but BST 40 is the stock DR650 carburetor manufactured by Mikuni) may not need removing, or maybe it can be just twisted around a bit?

Better?


Perhaps the pendulum has swung a little too far, but I'm sure there's somebody out there who's breathing a sigh of relief, now that those are clarified.

But hey, I was being facetious when I first made the TLA comment!
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:18 PM   #75227
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 8,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
(Bing?..... probably not as Bing is a German carburetor used on older BMWs ([/COLOR][COLOR=Red]Bayerische Motoren Werke AG, a German car and motorcycle manufacturer) among others
I thought "Bing" was the noise that important circlip made when it flew off your pliers and buried itself in the rubble of the shop nether regions?
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:21 PM   #75228
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer
 
BergDonk's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Snowy Mountains Oz
Oddometer: 3,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Perhaps the pendulum has swung a little too far, but I'm sure there's somebody out there who's breathing a sigh of relief, now that those are clarified.

But hey, I was being facetious when I first made the TLA comment!
Its OK, I'm smiling too. Written communication is such a challenge. So much of human communication is body language and tone and emphasis of the spoken word that's hard to convey in a quick forum post. And then we have a mix of cultures, and not only across borders
__________________
shed time IS quality time
BergDonk's DR650 BergDonk's XT1200Z
BergDonk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #75229
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer
 
gofast1320's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Middle Tennessee
Oddometer: 658
Torque wrenches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
Depends on what you have for sockets. Most bolts that require inch pound are small and often need a small socket to get to. My inch/lb has 1/4 drive- but I have a whole drawer of 1/4 drive stuff.

If you don't have a lot of 1/4 drive sockets I say get the 3/8 so you don't have to buy sockets as well. Unless you just need an excuse to buy tools- which I never seem to.

Reason to buy tools. Is there a consensus on a decent torque wrench to get?
I was thinking of picking one up. Don't need a snap-on but don't want to buy junk.
gofast1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:14 PM   #75230
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 8,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
Its OK, I'm smiling too. Written communication is such a challenge. So much of human communication is body language and tone and emphasis of the spoken word that's hard to convey in a quick forum post. And then we have a mix of cultures, and not only across borders
Let alone spelling and grammar issues.

Saw this recently: Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

Had to laugh.

Obligatory DR content: picked up a set of IMS pegs today. Quite nice, look like they should make standing more comfortable.

__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #75231
SoPaRider
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: South Central PA/Michaux State Forest/Lincoln Hwy.
Oddometer: 279
I'm about to place an order with Cogent Dynamics for a suspension upgrade to my '09 DR650 and I'd be interested in a spring rate comparison with what others have used. I'm around 200 lbs. with full winter riding gear, the bike has a 4.9 gal. IMS tank, 1 gal. RotopaX fuel container, skid plate, center stand, Happy-Trails side panel protector racks, all of the regular soft textile bags and the contents; front number plate, tank, tank panniers, sm. and md. dry duffle bags for camping gear, tail bag and saddlebags. I'm considering having a custom set of aluminum panniers and racks made by kirkster70 (see his posts at the "Garage" thread; he's no rookie!), but I'm already past the 275 lbs. that I gave Cogent as an estimate for total weight and Kirk's panniers and racks would add an additional 30 to 35 lbs., so I'm not sure if I want that much additional weight added to an already fairly heavy set up or not. Cogent has suggested that I go with a set of .50 kg/mm RaceTech straight rate fork springs, they also sell a .55 set and a 8.4 kg/mm rear shock spring to go with their best shock, anything heavier would have to be a custom order. I also plan to install a set of Ricor Intiminators. I tend to pack on the heavy side anyway and adding another 50 lbs. via the aluminum panniers and probably some other needless stuff would be no problem for me, but seeing as I plan to use the bike as a 50/50 dual sport, less is best and I know better than over loading a bike and then fighting it in the rough stuff. Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff
__________________
P.M. me for copies of my 15 Michaux State Forest Dual Sport Routes; check the Trip Planning/Tent Space Sign-Up Thread/Page 33/Post #492/8-2011 for info on our "Motorcyclist Manor"; IT'S FREE!.
48 states, D.C., 5 provinces and Bermuda down; the rest of the world to go!
SoPaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:16 PM   #75232
sunthechip
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast1320 View Post
Reason to buy tools. Is there a consensus on a decent torque wrench to get?
I was thinking of picking one up. Don't need a snap-on but don't want to buy junk.
Try these:
http://www.protorquetools.com/cat-35...e-wrenches.htm
sunthechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:21 PM   #75233
JagLite
Studly Adventurer
 
JagLite's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Anchorage Alaska
Oddometer: 977
Question I'm challenged and I admit it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Some folk are just acronym challenged. But he can teach ya how the Montana werkz.
Yep, that's me.
Acronym challenged.
I don't text, don't have a smart phone either.
In fact the basic phone I have is smarter than me.

Over time and reading context I have figured out most of the acronyms but I still haven't found the REAL meaning for the acronym DR.

Desert Rat?
Design Reject?
Delta Rhino?
Dog Runner?
Duh Rapper?
Doo Run?
Dude Rancher?

What say you experts?
__________________
Attitude ~
The difference between
Ordeal and Adventure
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:32 PM   #75234
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer
 
BergDonk's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Snowy Mountains Oz
Oddometer: 3,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagLite View Post
Yep, that's me.
Acronym challenged.
I don't text, don't have a smart phone either.
In fact the basic phone I have is smarter than me.

Over time and reading context I have figured out most of the acronyms but I still haven't found the REAL meaning for the acronym DR.

Desert Rat?
Design Reject?
Delta Rhino?
Dog Runner?
Duh Rapper?
Doo Run?
Dude Rancher?

What say you experts?
A lot of the guys here refer to them as Dog Rooters, and sometimes Drug Runners.
__________________
shed time IS quality time
BergDonk's DR650 BergDonk's XT1200Z
BergDonk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:39 PM   #75235
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer
 
BergDonk's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Snowy Mountains Oz
Oddometer: 3,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagLite View Post
Yep, that's me.
Acronym challenged.
I don't text, don't have a smart phone either.
In fact the basic phone I have is smarter than me.

..................
This is a good site:
http://www.acronymfinder.com/

And at the risk of being accused as a pedant, again, there is a difference between acronyms and abbreviations. Both are abbreviations, but acronyms are a subset of abbreviations that can also be pronounced as if they are a word themselves.

So, RFS is Rural Fire Service and hard to pronounce as a word, so its an abbreviation only, but TAFE, say, is an abbreviation for Technical And Further Education, and an acronym too because its like a word as well .

__________________
shed time IS quality time
BergDonk's DR650 BergDonk's XT1200Z
BergDonk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:55 PM   #75236
barko1
barko1
 
barko1's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Las Cruces, NM or thereabouts
Oddometer: 3,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast1320 View Post
Reason to buy tools. Is there a consensus on a decent torque wrench to get?
I was thinking of picking one up. Don't need a snap-on but don't want to buy junk.
On the Wrenching Forum there is a discussion of all things Harbor Freight and actually the torque wrenchs get quite good reviews and super cheap.
__________________
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:21 PM   #75237
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoPaRider View Post
SNIP but I'm already past the 275 lbs. that I gave Cogent as an estimate for total weight and Kirk's panniers and racks would add an additional 30 to 35 lbs., so I'm not sure if I want that much additional weight added to an already fairly heavy set up or not. Cogent has suggested that I go with a set of .50 kg/mm RaceTech straight rate fork springs, they also sell a .55 set and a 8.4 kg/mm rear shock spring to go with their best shock, anything heavier would have to be a custom order. I also plan to install a set of Ricor Intiminators.
Jeff
Ride quality and desires are somewhat subjective. IMO, the numbers above should be about perfect for your weight and load. I'm not sure what the Ricor Intimidator guy recommends regards matching fork spring rates to his product. I'd ask him about that.

I'm about the same weight but don't often load the bike as heavily as you intend. I'm running straight rate .47 kg. fork springs, seems about right.
Race Tech Emulators, 10 wt. oil.

When I had the stock stock I had a 7.6 kg. spring. But the stock shock was so lacking that the spring was did not solve the problems. With your deluxe Cogent shock you should have good adjustment of compression and rebound levels ... and rebound that WORKS.

For me ... what is important when riding off road is plushness. Too stiff and you'll be careening off rocks, tires deflecting when they should not and feeling jolts on landings and sharp hits and hurt your wrists and hands.

The thing is ... you really DO want to use most of your 10" of travel. So YES ... on road the forks may dive some under braking! But with Intiminators, I hear they prevent fork dive. (I've never used them)

So... to me this means perhaps they are not so PLUSH off road? It's a hard balance to get to but once you ride a really well set up dirt bike ... you'll be in heaven as you float over that nasty rock creek bed. Not easy to achieve perfection but there are things you can do to get close.

Some tuning can be done beyond Spring Rates:
Forks:
Oil weight, oil height in fork tubes, preload spacer and Tuning Intiminators (or Race Tech Emulators). With my Emulators I can do further tuning by drilling more holes in the Damper Rods and changing the little rebound springs they provide in the kit.

Get everything right and it's not a bad set up. Won't match a full on Moto X upside down fork, but for most dual sport work it can be pretty good if you get everything right.

Shock:
Really comes down to having a low friction shock with sophisticated rebound circuits. Cogent know their business ... I'm sure you'll get all that ... if not, send in back to be re-worked.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #75238
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer
 
zdiver1's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Peoria,Arizona
Oddometer: 459
Er70s-2

You should get the cables Wednesday I leave for a dive trip Friday to the Bahamas for two weeks let me know when you get them.
I also have stock foot pegs and IMS pegs I put the high dollar pegs on. Paul

zdiver1 screwed with this post 03-26-2013 at 09:37 PM
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:30 PM   #75239
acesandeights
Asperger
 
acesandeights's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: So. Oregon
Oddometer: 3,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoPaRider View Post
I'm about to place an order with Cogent Dynamics for a suspension upgrade to my '09 DR650 and I'd be interested in a spring rate comparison with what others have used. I'm around 200 lbs. with full winter riding gear, the bike has a 4.9 gal. IMS tank, 1 gal. RotopaX fuel container, skid plate, center stand, Happy-Trails side panel protector racks, all of the regular soft textile bags and the contents; front number plate, tank, tank panniers, sm. and md. dry duffle bags for camping gear, tail bag and saddlebags. I'm considering having a custom set of aluminum panniers and racks made by kirkster70 (see his posts at the "Garage" thread; he's no rookie!), but I'm already past the 275 lbs. that I gave Cogent as an estimate for total weight and Kirk's panniers and racks would add an additional 30 to 35 lbs., so I'm not sure if I want that much additional weight added to an already fairly heavy set up or not. Cogent has suggested that I go with a set of .50 kg/mm RaceTech straight rate fork springs, they also sell a .55 set and a 8.4 kg/mm rear shock spring to go with their best shock, anything heavier would have to be a custom order. I also plan to install a set of Ricor Intiminators. I tend to pack on the heavy side anyway and adding another 50 lbs. via the aluminum panniers and probably some other needless stuff would be no problem for me, but seeing as I plan to use the bike as a 50/50 dual sport, less is best and I know better than over loading a bike and then fighting it in the rough stuff. Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff
I'm about 225 lbs in my riding gear. I sometimes carry a 1 gal rotopax on a rear rack. I have Race Tech emulators and .70 straight rate springs in the front and 8.3 spring in the rear. I really like it. It's significantly stiffer than stock, but works really well for me. I ride street and forest service roads. I've ridden just a little bit of single track (prior to the mods). At the weight you're talking about, I'd consider .60 straight rate springs in the front.

You can go to Race Tech's website and check for your bike and put in your weight and riding style. If you ride more street you can go a step or two softer springs.

http://racetech.com/VehicleSearch

Unless you're set on a Cogent, Race Tech makes a shock shaft assembly for the rear shock and you can then get Race Tech springs front and rear to match your weight and riding style. Race Tech's shock shaft assembly is not a stock shaft, if that makes a difference to you.
__________________
http://breakingbooks.wordpress.com
http://www.kenmarshallmetalworks.com/
I may not be Rainman, but I'm not stupid eighter. Like Bartek on a taco.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:49 PM   #75240
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer
 
ER70S-2's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: SE Denver-ish
Oddometer: 5,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Call ProCycle. Tell one of the sales guys Jeff said to send you a replacement
Sweeeeettt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdiver1 View Post
You should get the cables Wednesday I leave for a dive trip Friday to the Bahamas for two weeks let me know when you get them.
I also have stock foot pegs and IMS pegs I put the high dollar pegs on. Paul
I'll let you know when they arrive.
I'll take the IMS pegs, at your convenience. No hurry, I have all summer. Price them to allow for shipping and the Paypal fee.


__________________
2004 DR650: 60,933 miles
2013 WR250R

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 03-26-2013 at 10:06 PM
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014