Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 06:59 AM   #75241
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by rand0mlychrisUK View Post
Hey,
What do you guys think about these racks? Pretty good price, but haven't the foggiest about quality

http://www.pmracks.com/products.php?id=3

Cheers
The price looks ok, but I wouldn't put anything heavy on this rack.

It looks to me like the mounts are all near the front of the rack, from that picture. One case of beer would probably kill it, imho. Or break the bike's frame.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:22 AM   #75242
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,115
I agree with ADV Grifter's assessment, and wanted to add some of my own observations from experience...

IMO, the Intiminators are better than stock. If you're on a tight budget, pop in a set and you'll be happy for a while. Then when you can afford it, switch to Gold Valves and springs. The Intiminators don't prevent brake dive, but they do reduce it, the same way that heavier springs will. Frankly, my new 0.47kg springs and Gold Valves dive LESS than my previous setup of just Intiminators and stock springs. And overall ride quality is superior. I haven't tried Intiminators with stiffer springs, but I bet they'd be pretty good.

I've been going back and forth over what to do with my rear shock.. do it myself (ProCycle kit, $300), send it to Moto-Pro (almost $480) or send it to Cogent ($600). The only one of the three that adds rebound is the Cogent setup, and I'm really inclined to go ahead and spend the money and do it the "right" way and send it there.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:25 AM   #75243
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,661
I had one of these racks ^^^.

They're not flimsy and the build quality is very good. That said, most of the weight, on the rack, is transferred thru the one rear support onto the sub-frame. If you're toting really heavy stuff, there may be better racks available. If it's lightweight camping stuff, it should be fine.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:22 AM   #75244
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
I added this to help with the load:
Old 03-27-2013, 09:08 AM   #75245
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
I've been going back and forth over what to do with my rear shock.. do it myself (ProCycle kit, $300), send it to Moto-Pro (almost $480) or send it to Cogent ($600). The only one of the three that adds rebound is the Cogent setup, and I'm really inclined to go ahead and spend the money and do it the "right" way and send it there.

Rob
The Race Tech Shock Shaft Assembly adds rebound. I realize it isn't one in your list so I thought I'd throw that out there. It's also got a larger shaft than stock, which may be better (I'm not saying it is) if Cogent rebuilds the stock shock using the stock shock shaft.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:48 AM   #75246
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzs View Post
Thumpers to Split .. DR to be moved to back water?

I dont really understand, all I know is I log onto adv and learn about DR's, if this is going to be lost due to stuff I don't understand I will spend more time on DRRIDERS site, if DRRIDERS site grows that will keep me happy. I love ADV so I guess they will do what is nessesary, maybe it is time I payed a donation to ADV keep the DR thread and all other threads going, or maybe ADV loose all the non bike thread/forums...which I equally enjoy, but stay true to bike related info only, I can go anywhere and search for bulls#*t stuff, if doesn't need to be on a bike forum, loose it , I hate to say it..but if this is going to help keep the DR thread going, loose Jo MAMA,
If dr riders accepted dr350 riders, they might really take off. Sort of odd to be called dr riders but include only one dr.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:49 AM   #75247
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
The price looks ok, but I wouldn't put anything heavy on this rack.

It looks to me like the mounts are all near the front of the rack, from that picture. One case of beer would probably kill it, imho. Or break the bike's frame.
I have that rack. It works just fine and is plenty hurkey. I use it to lift the bike even.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:54 AM   #75248
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post

Rob
I sent in my shock to Cogent about 3-4 weeks ago. I sent them an email yesterday for a status update but have not heard anything back. Maybe they are waiting for another shock to arrive to build a few. Send yours in, it might help me get mine back sooner. I will be ready to start putting by bike back together this Sunday and the following weekend.

BTW, I installed race tech springs and gold valves last Sunday.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #75249
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Honestly, if they're going to sell a bike brand new on the showroom floor, they should be required to carry some basic maintenance parts for it. By way of example, I went to the Suzuki/Yamaha/Kawi/KTM dealer by my house because I needed chain, sprockets, and a countershaft retainer bolt for my DR. They had none of those things. Considering that those are a routine maintenance item, I was shocked that they didn't have anything available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Unfortunately, the ones who have those things in stock are likely to be the ones who are already in trouble because they can't manage their inventory properly. For most dealers there wouldn't be enough sales volume for those items to justify the up front cost of keeping those things on hand. 25 years ago any item on the shelf had to sell at least 4 times per year to be worth taking up shelf space and working capital. These days with lower margins and more part numbers that sales volume is more like 10 times per year. When you think of all the different parts for all the different models there is no realistic way a dealer is going to be able to keep on hand stock of the parts the owners of all those different models would expect to buy.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:11 AM   #75250
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
Honestly, if they're going to sell a bike brand new on the showroom floor, they should be required to carry some basic maintenance parts for it. By way of example, I went to the Suzuki/Yamaha/Kawi/KTM dealer by my house because I needed chain, sprockets, and a countershaft retainer bolt for my DR. They had none of those things. Considering that those are a routine maintenance item, I was shocked that they didn't have anything available.
bout 3 years ago i just gave up going to the dealers and get all the stuff we need right off the net, i would love to support those guys BUT time is money,

jungleplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:18 AM   #75251
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post
I have that rack. It works just fine and is plenty hurkey. I use it to lift the bike even.
The rack does look nicely made but I still question using that one light screw through the loop on the frame. I'm sure it's ok in the short term, but I prefer wider spacing on the mounts. I remember seeing posts about people breaking that part of the frame by using it as a carrier mount.

This one looks like a better design, imho.

Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:29 AM   #75252
rand0mlychrisUK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Any Idea about pannier racks though? Everything online is so expensive, especially after shipping to ESTONIA (Europe), which is half the price of cheap racks. UK would be great, but I haven't found any racks on Ebay there, and am not sure about UK online rack dealer thingies.

Also, the racks would probably be used for soft luggage - so any idea about some good options there? There are some $50 throw-over panniers on ebay, but I slightly doubt their quality.

Thank you guys
rand0mlychrisUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #75253
phreakingeek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
"Is that bad?"

While helping out a friend who's brand new to riding...we took off the seat to run new turn signal wires. Luckily the previous owner had installed the jet kit and cut the top of the airbox. It was quite a shock to see the collection of stuff that a mouse used to make a nice little home out of...

phreakingeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:30 PM   #75254
JagLite
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,006
Thumb Shocking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
The Race Tech Shock Shaft Assembly adds rebound. I realize it isn't one in your list so I thought I'd throw that out there. It's also got a larger shaft than stock, which may be better (I'm not saying it is) if Cogent rebuilds the stock shock using the stock shock shaft.
Yes, the Cogent rebuild uses a larger diameter shaft than stock.
The only part of the original DR shock that is retained is the aluminum body.
And you can have them hard anodize that with a mil-spec coating for longer life if you want.
I got my second shock back from Cogent a few weeks ago and with their bling ring and everything rebuilt all new internals, adjusters, even the bump cushion, (but no spring or anodizing) and it was under $500 including shipping too and from Alaska.
Or from and too I should say.

Now both my Dual Sport DR and my Street Tracker DR have excellent suspension.
And if it ever stops snowing here I am looking forward to riding them!
We got 18" dumped on us this weekend where I live.
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:36 PM   #75255
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
Yeah, from a bike ownership point of view that would be nice. But why? They can get the sprockets in a couple of days. They have to stock what they know they can sell if they want any hope of staying in business. If they have any sense they won't even try to stock items that don't sell at least one every 2 months. Parts that don't move are a money losing drain on dealer operating capital.

If a Suzuki dealer was required to stock sprockets for every Suzuki model there would certainly be many other better selling items that they would have to avoid having on hand - even though they knew the other items were a better investment. You couldn't run a business that way very long.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote