Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 05:43 PM   #75271
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post

Now, the little family/friend owned dealers in Albuquerque that just deal in used bikes....those guys are the bomb. I'd buy a bike from them as soon as money appeared in my account.
You already have the answer, now you don't have to worry about going to a dealer to get parts from them when others either have the parts or you can go online and order them yourself and they deliver to your front door............
Old 03-27-2013, 06:14 PM   #75272
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,090
I think ProCycle is right on this deal. The old dealer with the stock of parts just isn't a financially viable model any longer. You need to be able to make so many dollars per square foot and run through that inventory to make it work. Now places like Procycle fill these needs in a better way than dealers can't come close to. Now dealers seem to make $$ like car dealers on financing and dubioous add ons to the prices. That said an exception is Southwest Suzuki in Alamogordo, NM, highly recommended for new bikes and service. The one in Las Cruces, NM, not so much
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:44 PM   #75273
LexTalionis
Inciteful

Oddometer: 428
Off topic question: I can’t use Personal Messages

For the past two days I’ve had a problem with ADVrider personal messaging.

I log in to send a PM, find I have to go to Control Panel to access my PM Folder, there is no click-through by my name in the upper right corner of the screen.

There, I find this statement: “You have 2 messages stored, of a total of 0 allowed.” I’m not allowed to have any stored messages now?

When I go to “Yo” I can send an email to myself, but it does not arrive.

Further, there’s no way for me to reply to either of the stored messages.

Under Edit Options I have ”Receive Email from other inmates” checked.

What’s up with this? Anyone know what’s going on here? How to fix it?

Thanks in advance,
Lex
Old 03-27-2013, 07:46 PM   #75274
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by rand0mlychrisUK View Post
Any Idea about pannier racks though? Thank you guys
Pannier racks are stout. You can lift the bike with 'em. I used them with soft bags that just tie down and it worked fine. Crashed on the racks without the bags on them and they held up. I wouldn't hesitate getting them again. I just decided to go with Wolfman and spent the $$$......mostly due to itchy "buy" finger. :)

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:18 PM   #75275
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by barko1 View Post
I think ProCycle is right on this deal. The old dealer with the stock of parts just isn't a financially viable model any longer. You need to be able to make so many dollars per square foot and run through that inventory to make it work.
Oh yeah, I better have it figured out after 25 years in the business. And it isn't any different for me. I only stock those things that will keep moving out the door. And I only have a limited amount of money that I can tie up in on-hand inventory. Items that sell well and make money justify a bigger investment than items that move slowly and make little money. It's a constant process deciding what to spend money on and what not to. Parts inventory all comes down to what you know will sell. Sometimes things sell well that I never though would and sometimes things I think are going to be a slam end up being a dud. What matters most is "margin times turns". Items with a high profit margin are OK to stock even if they are slow (but regular) sellers. Items that sell every day are a no-brainer to stock even if they have low profit margins. In the end the parts department has to be profitable. If you lose money you will eventually go out of business. If you barely make any money the business owner is smarter to do something else that isn't so risky or difficult.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:40 PM   #75276
NC Rick
Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer: 599
Hi folks! Re: shaft diameter.

Cogent uses a new 14 mm shock shaft for the Dr shock which is the same as stock. Why would we use a bigger shaft? Seldom do shock shafts bend or break, certainly not while the shock isn't damaged in some other way. strength is not the issue. A larger shaft brings disadvantages including more friction from the seals. Friction is a big enemy of suspension systems. Bigger diameter seals also let more junk into the shock. Temperature gains in the shock cause a pressure gain and the larger shaft diameter is more sensitive to this pressure change and causes a significantly larger change in dynamic sag.

We do like to use larger shaft diameters in remote reservoir shocks that are designed to accommodate them because they displace more oil from the main shock body forcing it to flow into the reservoir and through the compression adjuster components giving us better adjustability. The dr shock body is relatively small and the simple compression adjuster is not designed for the flow of the larger shaft. We feel that a larger shaft installed in the stock dr 650 se body is a disadvantage. We work to design our product to be as good as we can make it. There are many other design advantages to our shock or kit beyond this. Longgevity and performance are the proof.

We do use large diameter shafts in our premium total replacement shock with it's remote reservoir and triple adjustability.

I hope this technical explanation is informative with out being to much of a commercial pitch. Thank you for the kind words as well as your business to my DR friends!
NC Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #75277
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,090
]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Rick View Post
Hi folks! Re: shaft diameter.

Cogent uses a new 14 mm shock shaft for the Dr shock which is the same as stock. Why would we use a bigger shaft?
I guess what you are saying is it's not the meat it's the motion
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #75278
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,451
Thank you for responding Rick. I don't necessarily agree with your explanation, but I appreciate you taking on the question.

I would think seals that are larger than necessary would let more stuff in, but not properly fitting seals of any diameter. Seems friction would be relative to shaft diameter to seal diameter, not solely based on diameter of the shaft. Seems a larger shaft would have more surface area and be better at handling heat. I'm not an expert, but it seems the stock shaft is great at handling stock suspension needs. Seems when needs exceed stock needs, a larger shaft would work better. Why doesn't the larger shaft diameter handle heat better, or have more bearing surface area or more seal surface area and why aren't those better than stock?

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:03 PM   #75279
Krusty ...
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexTalionis View Post
For the past two days I’ve had a problem with ADVrider personal messaging.

I log in to send a PM, find I have to go to Control Panel to access my PM Folder, there is no click-through by my name in the upper right corner of the screen.

There, I find this statement: “You have 2 messages stored, of a total of 0 allowed.” I’m not allowed to have any stored messages now?

When I go to “Yo” I can send an email to myself, but it does not arrive.

Further, there’s no way for me to reply to either of the stored messages.

Under Edit Options I have ”Receive Email from other inmates” checked.

What’s up with this? Anyone know what’s going on here? How to fix it?

Thanks in advance,
Lex
Lex, my pm's are working. Since they are, I took the liberty of sending your description of your trouble to AceRph. Hopefully, he'll look after getting you fixed up.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:16 PM   #75280
NC Rick
Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer: 599
This stuff is really quite interesting and no doubt, size matters;-)

More swept seal area will (all other things being equal) add friction. Lip type seals also can add a measure of hysteresis to a damper system because of the compressibility and "springy" nature of the elastic material necessary. We use a quad ring type design to minimize that effect.

The shaft it's self is not dissipating so much heat on it's own but you make a good point, the larger shaft moves more fluid into the reservoir and back, significantly aiding in moving the hot oil to help the shock body dissipate that heat. With a small body shock, the larger shaft reduces the amount of oil capacity in the shock by a significant amount, negating a part of that advantage. The biggest issue in this case is the compression adjuster in my opinion.

We are a race tech center and the race tech product is a really excellent one. We sell them, service them and think they are awesome. We also feel that our own offering is the best. The point I am hoping to get across is that the bigger shaft is not really an advantage in our oem shock bodies. You can see that there are many design considerations, many of which are compromises. We try to make the most cogent choices we can so that our customers get the best product we can provide.
NC Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:26 AM   #75281
LexTalionis
Inciteful

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand0mlychrisUK View Post
Hey,
What do you guys think about these racks? Pretty good price, but haven't the foggiest about quality

http://www.pmracks.com/products.php?id=3

Cheers
I installed these side protectors and tail rack three years ago. The metal tubing is sufficient for the application, all welds look good, I like the way they look on my black '09.

I always carry a tailbag that weights about 30 pounds, no problems to date with the tail rack. However, this is all street usage, but does include rather rough asphalt roads.

For the side protectors, the left side bottom attachment was a little misaligned, such that I had to attach the piece with loose bolts, then use more effort than I should have had to to tighten the bottom bolt and force the mounting sleeve into position. The good thing is, the plastic side cover is removable w/o removing the protector, so I don't believe I will ever have to remove it.

The right side protector will not protect the side panel from abrasion by a throw-over saddlebag, you'll need to protect the OEM plastic side panel with tape if you care about the finish. Either way, the saddlebags will not press on the side panel sufficiently to press the side panel onto the exhaust, so you're good there. The plastic side panel is not removable with the protector in place.

Lex

LexTalionis screwed with this post 03-28-2013 at 12:36 AM
LexTalionis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:30 AM   #75282
LexTalionis
Inciteful

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
Honestly, if they're going to sell a bike brand new on the showroom floor, they should be required to carry some basic maintenance parts for it. By way of example, I went to the Suzuki/Yamaha/Kawi/KTM dealer by my house because I needed chain, sprockets, and a countershaft retainer bolt for my DR. They had none of those things. Considering that those are a routine maintenance item, I was shocked that they didn't have anything available.
More shocking to me was when I had the KLR, all three of the local Kawasaki dealers had NO valve shims in stock! Each place I asked the parts guy what the mechanics did then, with no shims available. Same answer, all three places: mechanics had their own supply of used shims; I'm guessing the mechanics then were kicked forward the shim cost that the customer paid.

Lex
Old 03-28-2013, 06:13 AM   #75283
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,193
[QUOTE=LexTalionis;21052026]I installed these side protectors and tail rack three years ago. The metal tubing is sufficient for the application, all welds look good, I like the way they look on my black '09.

I always carry a tailbag that weights about 30 pounds, no problems to date with the tail rack. However, this is all street usage, but does include rather rough asphalt roads.

For the side protectors, the left side bottom attachment was a little misaligned, such that I had to attach the piece with loose bolts, then use more effort than I should have had to to tighten the bottom bolt and force the mounting sleeve into position. The good thing is, the plastic side cover is removable w/o removing the protector, so I don't believe I will ever have to remove it.

The right side protector will not protect the side panel from abrasion by a throw-over saddlebag, you'll need to protect the OEM plastic side panel with tape if you care about the finish. Either way, the saddlebags will not press on the side panel sufficiently to press the side panel onto the exhaust, so you're good there. The plastic side panel is not removable with the protector in place.

Lex[/QUOTE

I have these racks,fitment was good and i can remove both panels with them on.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:41 AM   #75284
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexTalionis View Post
More shocking to me was when I had the KLR, all three of the local Kawasaki dealers had NO valve shims in stock! Each place I asked the parts guy what the mechanics did then, with no shims available. Same answer, all three places: mechanics had their own supply of used shims; I'm guessing the mechanics then were kicked forward the shim cost that the customer paid.

Lex
That's bordering on criminal, isn't it? Makes me wonder what chain and sprockets they'd put on a bike since they were still offering to do it for me (for a tidy sum of several hundred dollars).
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:05 AM   #75285
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Rick View Post
This stuff is really quite interesting and no doubt, size matters;-)

More swept seal area will (all other things being equal) add friction. Lip type seals also can add a measure of hysteresis to a damper system because of the compressibility and "springy" nature of the elastic material necessary. We use a quad ring type design to minimize that effect.

The shaft it's self is not dissipating so much heat on it's own but you make a good point, the larger shaft moves more fluid into the reservoir and back, significantly aiding in moving the hot oil to help the shock body dissipate that heat. With a small body shock, the larger shaft reduces the amount of oil capacity in the shock by a significant amount, negating a part of that advantage. The biggest issue in this case is the compression adjuster in my opinion.

We are a race tech center and the race tech product is a really excellent one. We sell them, service them and think they are awesome. We also feel that our own offering is the best. The point I am hoping to get across is that the bigger shaft is not really an advantage in our oem shock bodies. You can see that there are many design considerations, many of which are compromises. We try to make the most cogent choices we can so that our customers get the best product we can provide.
Thanks for the response.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote