Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 10:00 AM   #75286
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
I worked at a shop and we did not sell shims to walk in customers. We had a few shim boxes in the box that the mechanics used and we did swap them out. We didn't sell them since there was no part number for them and we did not want to be out of stock if someone sold one and didn't replace it. The mechanics would tell the parts guys when they needed a size (rarely happened) and they got them.
I can't remember but I think we charged a minimal shim swap fee on orders. This was done for two reasons, one was to pay for the replacements if we needed a new size, but also to clearly let the customer know how many shims we used. I think it was like $2.00 a shim.
When I owned by own shop I did not charge for shims, and I gave my customer a paper with the before measurements and what shims I put in there, are left in there if no changes. I know a lot of shops charged for shims and never checked them.
When I was a kid worked at a place that had an A,B, and C tuneup price. We joked that A was wipe the oil filter or filter housing clean, B was change the oil and wipe the filter, and C was change the oil and filter. Of course the list that the customer saw was a bit longer.
Sadly this was the norm, and one I later became uncomfortable with.
Oh and to keep it off topic, Jeff from Pro Cycle obviously understands the economics of today's motorcycle shop. I haven't worked in one in ten years, but if I did we would stock very little, it just doesn't make sense, when you look at the investment of money and shelf space. If it isn't turning over or a high profit I am not stocking it. This is why places carry a lot of helmets and gloves and jackets, but not sprockets.
it's those A,B,C shops that give the repair industry a bad name and the primary reason I try to do all my own work. in the end i'd say a few shops are bad, most are in the middle and just OK and a few are exceptional. i find independent reapir shops to be very good as they are not selling bikes and supply but rather repair service and relying on good word of mouth to stay in business.

In Steamboat Springs, the most successful car shop (Toyota, Honda & Subaru) is independent and goes out of it's way to take very good care of it's customers especially women. Women tend to do ALOT more word of mouth decision making and this shop capitalized on that. Alot of women would buy one of those 3 mfg. just to use this shop for repairs. Men still do plenty of talking, yet shops don't get that when you screw a customer it craps you down the line with 3-5 more customers. I know if I get bad service I go out of my way to tell all my friends and warn them. Same idea if I get good service.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:40 AM   #75287
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
how do you like the Goodyear Gatorback belt on the Jeep?
i've read many die hard Gates fans are moving over to those.
the word is the don't squeal/slip period, even with mis-aligned tensioners and such.
Bill - We sold her Jeep about 5 years ago, but for the couple years we had it after I replaced the belt, it was "invisible", meaning that the belt was quiet and worked perfectly and I never had to think about it...

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:16 PM   #75288
LexTalionis
Inciteful

Oddometer: 435
Bridgestone Tire Warning (maybe)

I’ve admitted previously that I owned a KLR650 previous to owning my beloved DR650. Some of my friends still ride KLRs, the poor, misguided souls.

One of them, knowing that the DR650 comes from the factory with Bridgestone Trail Wings installed, sent me this URL: cracked tire

The thread details the experience of a KLR rider using Bridgestone’s BT45 tire on an ST1300 and Bridgestone’s response. According to the OP, he noticed extensive cracking and rubber separation after a winter in storage, he complained to Bridgestone, and Bridgestone’s answer was:

“"Jim, the tires have experienced this type of cracking due to being in freezing and below conditions. Unfortunately this condition is not covered under the workmanship and materials warranty."

and

"I forwarded this back to our motorcycle rep. however in the summer you should be fine, but in the winter time you will most likely run into this issue if the tire is exposed to colder than freezing conditions."

WTF? Can’t expose Bridgestone tires to below freezing temps?

I post this as a public service announcement and the usual caveats apply here: I don’t know the poster, this has never happened to me, I don’t ride a KLR (any more), the tire in question is a model not used on DRs and I don’t know if Bridgestone’s response is applicable to the full range of models. The tire pics on the thread are worth the effort to go there, it’s as if the tire was super-cooled and then dropped on the floor.

Lex
Old 03-28-2013, 12:30 PM   #75289
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Stock Spring size?

Hi there. My brother just picked up a nice looking 2001 dr650 that is completely stock. The springs feel incredibly soft to us both but he is having trouble finding the size of the springs. Were both about 200 lb so I am assuming he will want to upgrade the springs to match rider/gear. Any info would be much appreciated!
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:10 PM   #75290
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post

From that day forward, the dogs were not feed in the garage any longer...
You just need a cat. I have a stray that the neighbors were tired of feeding who lives in my shop with all the bikes, quads etc. No mouse problem. Just tell the dogs to play nice.

bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:29 PM   #75291
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanhXeo View Post
Hi there. My brother just picked up a nice looking 2001 dr650 that is completely stock. The springs feel incredibly soft to us both but he is having trouble finding the size of the springs. Were both about 200 lb so I am assuming he will want to upgrade the springs to match rider/gear. Any info would be much appreciated!
just go here:
http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html#suspension
Butler Maps website:
Old 03-28-2013, 03:50 PM   #75292
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,731
v
Originally Posted by FatChance

How skinny were those dogs?
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:02 PM   #75293
rand0mlychrisUK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexTalionis View Post
I installed these side protectors and tail rack three years ago. The metal tubing is sufficient for the application, all welds look good, I like the way they look on my black '09.

I always carry a tailbag that weights about 30 pounds, no problems to date with the tail rack. However, this is all street usage, but does include rather rough asphalt roads.

For the side protectors, the left side bottom attachment was a little misaligned, such that I had to attach the piece with loose bolts, then use more effort than I should have had to to tighten the bottom bolt and force the mounting sleeve into position. The good thing is, the plastic side cover is removable w/o removing the protector, so I don't believe I will ever have to remove it.

The right side protector will not protect the side panel from abrasion by a throw-over saddlebag, you'll need to protect the OEM plastic side panel with tape if you care about the finish. Either way, the saddlebags will not press on the side panel sufficiently to press the side panel onto the exhaust, so you're good there. The plastic side panel is not removable with the protector in place.

Lex
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwash View Post
I have these racks,fitment was good and i can remove both panels with them on.
Thank you guys for the reply, will look into those racks...still hesitant about the damn shipping fees, let alone the possible tax that might follow.

rand0mlychrisUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:02 PM   #75294
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
these kits?
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...Valve-Shim-Kit
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...FY9DMgod5mcAJw

i read several reports how those who need shims and are doing their valves themselves often get all their measure for the correct new shims. then they cover the bikes engine (a few days downtime) and 2 day order the correct ones. most modern shim engines need very little adjustment anyway. stroms often go their whole life with no new shims needed nor added. i'm sure plenty of shop valve jobs are just opening up looking and then button up and charge the customer for time.
Nah, I just ordered the specific shims I needed. The Pro-X ones were like $1.59 each. All 4 intake shims and 1 exhaust shim had to be replaced. My Strom had 45K miles on it at the time.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #75295
rand0mlychrisUK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Talking New member

Also, after quite a few questions, I might as well "confess"...
I am now the proud owner of a '96 DR! So far I am loving the bike, although it is still barely above 0c here and snow is still all around...
The bike is in really good condition with stuff swapped for new parts all over the bike - all I had to do when I got it was adjust the rear brake pedal (which travelled a little too far for my liking!).

Trying to figure out a decent luggage system on a budget - soft luggage for pavement riding.

Great to also be part of the DR community, as you guys are so bloomin' helpful!
Pictures of the bike to follow another day.

Chris
rand0mlychrisUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #75296
Magnum Noel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
We had that problem a couple of years ago. We had been free-feeding the dogs in the garage, but the mice decided to hijack the dog food and hide it over the winter. First, FatWife complained that her Jeep ran poorly. When I pulled the air filter and checked the airbox, I found this. Fortunately it apparently did not cause any problems and ran much better after I cleaned out the airbox.

Then I checked her F650 and found the mice had eaten through the air filter and the intake was plugged through airbox, into the fuel injection into the cylinder head intake all the way to the valves. We had the dealer clean out the F.I. and combustion chamber. Since the bike was never started, there was no damage...

This shows how much dog food I pulled out of the airbox:

From that day forward, the dogs were not feed in the garage any longer...
I think you need to trade the dog for a cat. Or get a cat the dog gets on with.
Magnum Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #75297
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
Wow.......

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:40 PM   #75298
eakins
Butler Maps

http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/03/21...l-sport-bikes/
Butler Maps website:
Old 03-28-2013, 04:41 PM   #75299
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
tool tube

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is a good use of wolfman racks to support an additional tool tube. I will run some steel cable ties around for added security.

Oh, and the exhaust wrap wasn't really needed, tool tube stays reasonably cool.

Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod
Thumper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:57 PM   #75300
shu

Oddometer: 987
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexTalionis View Post
[FONT=Arial]
“"Jim, the tires have experienced this type of cracking due to being in freezing and below conditions. Unfortunately this condition is not covered under the workmanship and materials warranty."

and

"I forwarded this back to our motorcycle rep. however in the summer you should be fine, but in the winter time you will most likely run into this issue if the tire is exposed to colder than freezing conditions."

Thanks for the info Lex. Since I ride all winter when the roads are dry, often at temps in the high teens and 20's F* and sometimes down in the single digits, I'm happy to spread the bad word about Bridgestone. Here's the pic I lifted from the guy's post.

I can't believe that this is the official Bridgestone response.

..............shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote