Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #75301
rand0mlychrisUK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexTalionis View Post
I installed these side protectors and tail rack three years ago. The metal tubing is sufficient for the application, all welds look good, I like the way they look on my black '09.

I always carry a tailbag that weights about 30 pounds, no problems to date with the tail rack. However, this is all street usage, but does include rather rough asphalt roads.

For the side protectors, the left side bottom attachment was a little misaligned, such that I had to attach the piece with loose bolts, then use more effort than I should have had to to tighten the bottom bolt and force the mounting sleeve into position. The good thing is, the plastic side cover is removable w/o removing the protector, so I don't believe I will ever have to remove it.

The right side protector will not protect the side panel from abrasion by a throw-over saddlebag, you'll need to protect the OEM plastic side panel with tape if you care about the finish. Either way, the saddlebags will not press on the side panel sufficiently to press the side panel onto the exhaust, so you're good there. The plastic side panel is not removable with the protector in place.

Lex
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwash View Post
I have these racks,fitment was good and i can remove both panels with them on.
Thank you guys for the reply, will look into those racks...still hesitant about the damn shipping fees, let alone the possible tax that might follow.

rand0mlychrisUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #75302
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
these kits?
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...Valve-Shim-Kit
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...FY9DMgod5mcAJw

i read several reports how those who need shims and are doing their valves themselves often get all their measure for the correct new shims. then they cover the bikes engine (a few days downtime) and 2 day order the correct ones. most modern shim engines need very little adjustment anyway. stroms often go their whole life with no new shims needed nor added. i'm sure plenty of shop valve jobs are just opening up looking and then button up and charge the customer for time.
Nah, I just ordered the specific shims I needed. The Pro-X ones were like $1.59 each. All 4 intake shims and 1 exhaust shim had to be replaced. My Strom had 45K miles on it at the time.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:05 PM   #75303
rand0mlychrisUK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Talking New member

Also, after quite a few questions, I might as well "confess"...
I am now the proud owner of a '96 DR! So far I am loving the bike, although it is still barely above 0c here and snow is still all around...
The bike is in really good condition with stuff swapped for new parts all over the bike - all I had to do when I got it was adjust the rear brake pedal (which travelled a little too far for my liking!).

Trying to figure out a decent luggage system on a budget - soft luggage for pavement riding.

Great to also be part of the DR community, as you guys are so bloomin' helpful!
Pictures of the bike to follow another day.

Chris
rand0mlychrisUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #75304
Magnum Noel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
We had that problem a couple of years ago. We had been free-feeding the dogs in the garage, but the mice decided to hijack the dog food and hide it over the winter. First, FatWife complained that her Jeep ran poorly. When I pulled the air filter and checked the airbox, I found this. Fortunately it apparently did not cause any problems and ran much better after I cleaned out the airbox.

Then I checked her F650 and found the mice had eaten through the air filter and the intake was plugged through airbox, into the fuel injection into the cylinder head intake all the way to the valves. We had the dealer clean out the F.I. and combustion chamber. Since the bike was never started, there was no damage...

This shows how much dog food I pulled out of the airbox:

From that day forward, the dogs were not feed in the garage any longer...
I think you need to trade the dog for a cat. Or get a cat the dog gets on with.
Magnum Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #75305
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,271
Wow.......

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:40 PM   #75306
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,197
http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/03/21...l-sport-bikes/
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:41 PM   #75307
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
tool tube

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is a good use of wolfman racks to support an additional tool tube. I will run some steel cable ties around for added security.

Oh, and the exhaust wrap wasn't really needed, tool tube stays reasonably cool.

Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod
Thumper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:57 PM   #75308
shu

Oddometer: 965
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexTalionis View Post
[FONT=Arial]
"Jim, the tires have experienced this type of cracking due to being in freezing and below conditions. Unfortunately this condition is not covered under the workmanship and materials warranty."

and

"I forwarded this back to our motorcycle rep. however in the summer you should be fine, but in the winter time you will most likely run into this issue if the tire is exposed to colder than freezing conditions."

Thanks for the info Lex. Since I ride all winter when the roads are dry, often at temps in the high teens and 20's F* and sometimes down in the single digits, I'm happy to spread the bad word about Bridgestone. Here's the pic I lifted from the guy's post.

I can't believe that this is the official Bridgestone response.

..............shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:01 PM   #75309
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
I can't believe that this is the official Bridgestone response.

..............shu
I don't either.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:19 PM   #75310
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,712
Eh?

The other photo in Lex's link: (thanks Lex)

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #75311
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
I don't either.
I believe it. Summer tires shouldn't even be stored in temperatures below freezing. They become brittle and slippery, like glass. Then they can shatter and/or crack, as you have seen.

A lot of people bad-mouth all-season cage tires as not being capable in the snow. They're not designed to be snow tires. They're simply designed to not become brittle and slick in freezing temps, while not vaporizing when heated up like many snow tires do. Moto tires are similar. If you see freezing temps, use tires rated for that.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:58 PM   #75312
shu

Oddometer: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
I believe it. Summer tires shouldn't even be stored in temperatures below freezing. They become brittle and slippery, like glass. Then they can shatter and/or crack, as you have seen.

A lot of people bad-mouth all-season cage tires as not being capable in the snow. They're not designed to be snow tires. They're simply designed to not become brittle and slick in freezing temps, while not vaporizing when heated up like many snow tires do. Moto tires are similar. If you see freezing temps, use tires rated for that.
I've lived in Colorado nearly all my life, and I've never seen a tire, moto or car, that froze and broke. You may be right but it gets below freezing here a lot, from Sept to May.

........shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #75313
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post

Growing up in PA seeing temps below zero for weeks at a time- I have never seen a tire freeze. I'm calling bullshit.
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:21 PM   #75314
oldschoolsk8ter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
This is true for "high performance summer tires" refer to your manufacturer for their guidelines for each model of tire.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=220
oldschoolsk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #75315
oldschoolsk8ter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Warning from Hoosier....

http://www.hoosiertire.com/safetywarning/index.htm
oldschoolsk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote