Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 11:36 AM   #75346
disconnected
ultra runner

Oddometer: 6,208
does anybody have a rear brake pedal for sale.? I crashed and bent mine.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #75347
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Not typically encountered, but the state record is -61F...
Pah, we don't even need our winter parkas for that up here in Canada. Seriously though, the coldest I ever worked in when on the rigs was -55C (-67F), WITH a breeze. You were good for about 20 minutes in that before you had to head inside to warm up. Never seen tires crack like that and spent over 30 years with winter temps regularly hovering around -35C or colder.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:54 AM   #75348
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
Temps get cold enough in some places on this planet that even M&S-rated all-season tires turn to a substance like black glass, and can possibly crack/shatter. Colorado aint one of those places. It doesn't typically get cold enough there.

In at least some provinces of Canada, many moto tires aren't even LEGAL to ride on during certain months, whether there is snow on the ground or not. Many moto tire compounds are not M&S-rated all-season compounds.
Several years ago I had to buy a tire for my DL650 while riding in Mexico. Since most bikes in country are smaller ones its damned hard to find tires for big bikes down there but I finally located the right size at the BMW dealer in Hemosila. I ended up with a Pirelli Scorpion that worked great on the DL during the rest of that summer and gave me the best durability I'd ever seen. I liked it so much that I tried to replace it with another back in the USA. Sorry Charlie, that tire is not available north of the border because the "compound was not approved for US winter temperatures"
thump! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #75349
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 6,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolsk8ter View Post
They also say...

Only specially trained persons should mount tires.

To seat tire bead,never exceed the following pressure:
Motorcycle Tires : Do not exceed 57 P.S.I.

Use extreme caution when riding on new tires.
Avoid sudden acceleration,maximum braking,and hard cornering for first 100 miles.

Purely legal, covering their asses, spiel.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:00 PM   #75350
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,347
All of us know that heat and cold impact the physical properties and performance of metal, rubber, liquid, and other substances. And at some point it is cold enough -- or hot enough, that special consideration must be given to the compound in tires, motor oils, glass composition ... etc.

And that on the extreme edges in places like Alaska, Siberia, the polar ice caps, and perhaps the equatorial countries in the middle.

For the rest of us the same "strike the balance" products we have used all our lives will suffice. For my part, if Bridgestone or anyone else thinks I'm going to go into an anal retentive panic over a marketing ploy of winter or summer tires, they can look for me to shop with vendors who have not lost their minds.

But those of you who want to go ahead and drink that kool aid have at it. The rest of us will enjoy the entertaining past-time of observing your neurotic conniptions...
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:47 PM   #75351
oldschoolsk8ter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Agreed, I am in no way saying this is common, just that it is a possibility
oldschoolsk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:55 PM   #75352
Carl Childers
Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwash View Post

Dang, I hope I don't get outbid on this one!
Old 03-29-2013, 03:23 PM   #75353
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketcase View Post
For my part, if Bridgestone or anyone else thinks I'm going to go into an anal retentive panic over a marketing ploy of winter or summer tires, they can look for me to shop with vendors who have not lost their minds.

The rest of us will enjoy the entertaining past-time of observing your neurotic conniptions...

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:47 PM   #75354
MATT0404
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Managed to put about 100 miles on the bike today. Had a lot of fun, though, the roads are still quite muddy. Here's a photo of the DR and one of my new helmet:

2012 Suzuki DR650

Shark Evoline 3
MATT0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:56 PM   #75355
hambone650rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Nice bike

Good looking bike love the grey!
hambone650rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:59 PM   #75356
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Pah, we don't even need our winter parkas for that up here in Canada. Seriously though, the coldest I ever worked in when on the rigs was -55C (-67F), WITH a breeze. You were good for about 20 minutes in that before you had to head inside to warm up. Never seen tires crack like that and spent over 30 years with winter temps regularly hovering around -35C or colder.
I'm guessing that they don't sell many summer-compound tires for on-road use in Canada. All-season or winter compounds are likely to be the norm there. They can tolerate some ungodly cold before cracking. I don't expect to see snow tires that last 40K+ miles through Death Valley summer temps.

I have trouble finding windshield washer fluid down here that doesn't freeze at 32F. The autoparts stores here must not think anybody ever drives further north than Daytona.

Marketing is just yanking our chains about summer, all-season, and winter compounds? I don't see why they'd bother. I buy name-brand UHP all-season tires for my car for around $50/ea. I see summer tires for less and more. What difference does it make? Does 0W30 oil cost much different from 15W40? One works better for winter temps. One works better for summer temps.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:15 PM   #75357
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 2,979
motorcycle tires may crack in the tread area from impact or deformation at low ambient temperatures

Note it says in tread area, not the sidewall, and from impact, not from being stored in a cold garage. If the tires had any chance of failing apart in below freezing tempsthey wouldn't be sold for liability issues or you'd have to sign waivers out the kazoo.
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000,, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, 1965 Bridgestone 90!
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:17 PM   #75358
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
They also say...

Only specially trained persons should mount tires.

To seat tire bead,never exceed the following pressure:
Motorcycle Tires : Do not exceed 57 P.S.I.

Use extreme caution when riding on new tires.
Avoid sudden acceleration,maximum braking,and hard cornering for first 100 miles.

Purely legal, covering their asses, spiel.
'Quite possible.

That said, I've never had a slippery issue with new tires or cold tires, but I've seen several videos on youtube of people who do. Therefore, I don't rule out the possibility that I could one day encounter slippery new/cold tires.

Bead-seating cages were invented for a reason too. I'm guessing that most tire sidewall max pressures are stated with a pretty good safety margin, and that even specially-trained people still damage tires or rims occasionally when mounting them. Untrained people? We probably damage more.

Kommando screwed with this post 03-29-2013 at 06:23 PM
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:18 PM   #75359
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 2,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATT0404 View Post
Managed to put about 100 miles on the bike today. Had a lot of fun, though, the roads are still quite muddy. Here's a photo of the DR and one of my new helmet:

Looks good but putting the helmet on the seat is a big no no .
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000,, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, 1965 Bridgestone 90!
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:22 PM   #75360
NYTrainer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Today

Finally warm enough to get out. Started the DR 650 equipped with the FCR41 carb, using the enriching circuit, not a choke, and got in a shakedown cruise on pavement.
Pulled the blankets off the other bikes & put the battery in the XV. Fired right up.
Longer ride on the Xv tomorrow...

2004 DR650 Suzuki,1978 Yamaha XS750,
1981 Yamaha XS650 Street Tracker,1981 Yamaha XV920 Chain-drive
1986 Yamaha YZ490-Vintage MX project, Yamaha TW200(Girl Friend's Ride) Yamaha TDM 850
NYTrainer is offline   Reply With Quote