ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 12:02 PM   #75361
refokus
Just Learning
 
refokus's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: North Phoenix
Oddometer: 2,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
I think it's in here but running out the door... have a look.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549433
Thanks bross!
__________________
"Single Trac is like Scotch, you have to aquire a taste for it!"
refokus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:10 PM   #75362
MATT0404
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MATT0404's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: PA
Oddometer: 129
I was able to put around 200 miles on my new DR650 this weekend and had a great time doing so. I averaged 52 mpg over the weekend. This bike just might pay for itself being an alternative to driving my truck.

Two things I noticed. First, there seems to be hesitation on light throttle. Reading up on this it looks like it may be a lean condition due to the stock jetting. Is this something jetting the carb can take care of? I'm taking my time reading through the BST/carb threads.

Second, I'm going to need some luggage!
__________________
F800GS
Super Sherpa
MATT0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:11 PM   #75363
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer
 
Mambo Dave's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: 11 ft. AMSL
Oddometer: 5,109
What do you all think is the average mileage (road miles) out of a DR650 clutch cable?

I've got a 2002, so between corrosion and miles (or use), I'm strongly thinking about ordering another to carry with the bike.
__________________
"After reading through this thread I've come to the conclusion
that more people cruise the internet looking for reasons why
X bike won't work in Y scenario rather than actually riding
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:17 PM   #75364
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over
 
DockingPilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Andover, N.J.
Oddometer: 9,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
What do you all think is the average mileage (road miles) out of a DR650 clutch cable?

I've got a 2002, so between corrosion and miles (or use), I'm strongly thinking about ordering another to carry with the bike.
I zip tie a spare cable right alongside the one in service. If it snaps, it's an easy and quick fix.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Frank Reinbold

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:52 PM   #75365
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer
 
Mambo Dave's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: 11 ft. AMSL
Oddometer: 5,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
I zip tie a spare cable right alongside the one in service. If it snaps, it's an easy and quick fix.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is the plan, the question was only one of budgeting and time.
__________________
"After reading through this thread I've come to the conclusion
that more people cruise the internet looking for reasons why
X bike won't work in Y scenario rather than actually riding
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:04 PM   #75366
rogor
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Sydney, Aus
Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty ... View Post
Until we choke on it ?
rogor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:20 PM   #75367
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer
 
ER70S-2's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: SE Denver-ish
Oddometer: 5,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
What do you all think is the average mileage (road miles) out of a DR650 clutch cable?

I've got a 2002, so between corrosion and miles (or use), I'm strongly thinking about ordering another to carry with the bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
I zip tie a spare cable right alongside the one in service. If it snaps, it's an easy and quick fix.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I replaced my 2004 cable at 15k miles, but I left it in position. If the new one breaks all I have to do is switch ends.



Yes, it's on the wrong side of the bike, less cluttered and no exhaust pipe heat.
__________________
2004 DR650: 62,400 miles
2013 WR250R

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:37 PM   #75368
shu
...
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Colorado
Oddometer: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
What do you all think is the average mileage (road miles) out of a DR650 clutch cable?

I've got a 2002, so between corrosion and miles (or use), I'm strongly thinking about ordering another to carry with the bike.
I replaced mine at 34,000. It had worn halfway through one of the wire strands next to the cable barrel at the attachment point on the motor. Nowhere near breaking, but I'd carried a spare cable tied to it for 30,000 miles so I replaced it anyway.

.............shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:56 PM   #75369
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man
 
Kommando's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Spacecoaster FL
Oddometer: 7,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATT0404 View Post
I was able to put around 200 miles on my new DR650 this weekend and had a great time doing so. I averaged 52 mpg over the weekend. This bike just might pay for itself being an alternative to driving my truck.

Two things I noticed. First, there seems to be hesitation on light throttle. Reading up on this it looks like it may be a lean condition due to the stock jetting. Is this something jetting the carb can take care of? I'm taking my time reading through the BST/carb threads.

Second, I'm going to need some luggage!
Welcome! This thread has all that info somewhere, but yes, TUNING your carb or swapping to a flat-slide pumper or EFI can reduce or eliminate hesitation and/or surging.

A common fix is to remove the snorkel and richen the needle and idle-mix screw. An adjustable needle and an extended screw make this very easy. www.Procycle.us sells kits for this whether you just remove the snorkel (Factory Pro) or go all out and open up the airbox (Procycle). The needles in these 2 kits have different tapers, BTW.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:20 PM   #75370
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer
 
Mambo Dave's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: 11 ft. AMSL
Oddometer: 5,109
Thanks for the clutch cable experiences, gents.

I had a Kawasaki Vulcan with a really tough-to-pull clutch that had its replacement cable (so at least the second one that was ever on the bike) at under 20k miles. I'd say it was a mix of corrosion and tension.

Obviously the DR650 doesn't have the tension that other bike did. Still, getting that bike home with a broken clutch cable was a lesson learned. (the write-up story is here: http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=21711 )
__________________
"After reading through this thread I've come to the conclusion
that more people cruise the internet looking for reasons why
X bike won't work in Y scenario rather than actually riding
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:24 PM   #75371
Fred Garvin
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Fred Garvin's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: western slope
Oddometer: 210
spare clutch cable

All good ideas that have been around for years. In addition to the spare, you might want to cover the exposed ends with a dust/waterproof cover to keep the ends and the cable ready for installation.
Fred Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:53 PM   #75372
JagLite
Beastly Adventurer
 
JagLite's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Anchorage Alaska
Oddometer: 1,052
Question oil cooler hoses?

I reinstalled the oil cooler today after a repaint and had a bit of trouble figuring out which hose went where.
And which end attached to the engine, and which end attached to the cooler.

Was I looking at the manual wrong or do they have the lines reversed in the drawing?
I looked at my Clymer and Suzuki manuals and they both show it the same.
Seems to me that they show the short line on top instead of the long one.
It is at the end of the lubrication chapter.

I finally got it on right but installing the hoses and cooler shouldn't take an hour!
__________________
Attitude ~
The difference between
Ordeal and Adventure
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:15 PM   #75373
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed
 
ChromeSux's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Lenoir City TN.
Oddometer: 1,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagLite View Post
I reinstalled the oil cooler today after a repaint and had a bit of trouble figuring out which hose went where.
And which end attached to the engine, and which end attached to the cooler.

Was I looking at the manual wrong or do they have the lines reversed in the drawing?
I looked at my Clymer and Suzuki manuals and they both show it the same.
Seems to me that they show the short line on top instead of the long one.
It is at the end of the lubrication chapter.

I finally got it on right but installing the hoses and cooler shouldn't take an hour!
After several failures doing things like this, i have learned to take a couple of pics before undoing things, the pics come in handy when going back together, you often think, oh that is no problem, it has to go back together just as easy as it came off, NOT.
Been there done that.
ChromeSux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:44 PM   #75374
00Buck
dirt rules
 
00Buck's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: South Vancouver Island, BC
Oddometer: 196
Ahhh, I love spring...

__________________
,
Mike
00Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:42 PM   #75375
MATT0404
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MATT0404's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: PA
Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
Welcome! This thread has all that info somewhere, but yes, TUNING your carb or swapping to a flat-slide pumper or EFI can reduce or eliminate hesitation and/or surging.

A common fix is to remove the snorkel and richen the needle and idle-mix screw. An adjustable needle and an extended screw make this very easy. www.Procycle.us sells kits for this whether you just remove the snorkel (Factory Pro) or go all out and open up the airbox (Procycle). The needles in these 2 kits have different tapers, BTW.
Thanks for the info! I'm going to get some more miles on the bike and see how it runs once I'm more familiar with it. As it stands now, I think the ProCycle kit is in my future.
__________________
F800GS
Super Sherpa
MATT0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014