Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #75436
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,315
Those are stock black boots.Got them from a inmate here or drriders.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:57 PM   #75437
shu

Oddometer: 990
2 days south of the US border now, heading home.

We're back up in the Sierra Madre Occidental near Copper Canyon.
Cold mornings.

I'm not the only one waiting for it to warm up. Sound asleep, waiting on the sun.

Better now, let's ride a little dirt road and take a look at the Valley of the Monks.

More on the tire report (Heidenau k60 front at 6000 miles) Nice tire, wearing well.

Rear tire: MEFO 99 explorer (6,000 miles). Just starting to square off, but lots of tread left.

DR650 having some fun in Mexico!

.............shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #75438
Bo Radley
ADV Commuter

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post

Great shot.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #75439
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
We're back up in the Sierra Madre Occidental near Copper Canyon.
Cold mornings.

Quote:
I'm not the only one waiting for it to warm up. Sound asleep, waiting on the sun.

Eeeewwww

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #75440
Colorado CJ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
Spring is here and I'm finally going to set up my DR for some longer rides.

So, which tank should I get, the IMS or the Acerbis? The IMS is only 4.9 gallons where the Acerbis is 5.3 gal.

Anyone have any opinions on which is better (mounts easier, works with stock seat better, etc...)?

'09 DL650
'06 DR650
Colorado CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:16 PM   #75441
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado CJ View Post

So, which tank should I get, the IMS or the Acerbis? The IMS is only 4.9 gallons where the Acerbis is 5.3 gal.

Anyone have any opinions on which is better (mounts easier, works with stock seat better, etc...)?
The Acerbis is said to be of better quality and fit.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:23 PM   #75442
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:

.............shu

yea, great paved roads all through that area.
Have you guys been down to Batopilas yet? What is your route home?
Any news on the progress of the road from Creel down to Batopilas?
!Suerte!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:54 PM   #75443
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:

One of the differences is the surface finish. The IMS is smooth and shiny, which may be easier to wipe clean. Although I've never seen one, anytime someone's photo catches the glossy surface, it isn't very even, sorta like a poor paint job. IMO

The Acerbis has a matte finish with a light surface texture, which may be harder to keep clean. Mine took exactly 5 gallons to fill, right up to the base of the fill neck. I'm still on the first tank so I don't know if it will expand as it ages. I don't care, 5 gallons gets me past the 'crap, I need gas again'. The stock location of the turn signals won't work, but are easy to relocate using the stock brackets.

My Suzuki gel seat fits both the stock tank and the Acerbis. My stock tank Corbin also fits against the tank nicely, although I'll have to move the brackets back about 3/4".

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:33 AM   #75444
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 619
I was very unhappy with my IMS,stained too easy, cap leaked, too much gas remaining in right side. I am extremely please with my Safari tank. Stock, Sargent, and Seat Concepts all fit Safari well.

TravelGuy

Quote:

DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:41 AM   #75445
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
Race Tech Gold -rear shock

I'm looking at upgrading the rear shock to something that actually works.

I would love to get a cogent rear rebuild but money is a bit tight. I've noticed on Procycles webiste I could buy the Race Tech Rear Shock Gold Valve kit for $159.95 plus delivery.

I'm sure cogent would be the best, but would this be a decent upgrade for the rear shock in comparison to the poor performing stock shock??

Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod
Thumper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:20 AM   #75446
Chill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
Warp 9 levers!!!

These are awesome. I just put on the brake side and i'll work on the clutch side later. These have that very high end feel to them and provide that much needed lever position adjustment. Warp 9 includes a new perch replacement bolt plus a sweet new end cap for the brake assy clamp on the bar.

The lever is all CNC'd alum. and has a lot of attention to detail. The lever even folds back in case of a crash. Warp 9 has done a great service by producing these when no other option was available. IMO a must do for every DR owner!

I've adjusted them perfect for my shorter fingers for effortless 2 finger stops. If any of you have use high end Shimano or other MTB brake levers, these have that 2 finger perfect control feel to them. They are also shorter than stock for those handguard clearance issues.

http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html#controls

I have a pair of these and also like them very much. One small improvement IMHO would be some mild knurling at the finger contact face. I find that my gloves have been worn smooth on the fingers and the lever is also smooth. I have wrapped some elastoplast type fabric surgical tape around the fingers of mine to provide a bit more grip. It works well but looks a bit crap.
Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:43 AM   #75447
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper Dan View Post
I've noticed on Procycles webiste I could buy the Race Tech Rear Shock Gold Valve kit for $159.95 plus delivery.

...........would this be a decent upgrade for the rear shock in comparison to the poor performing stock shock??
I am very new at suspension stuff but valving may not be your only need. Depending on your weight, a new spring may be in order, too. This bumps you into the "Shock Solution Kit" which is $290. I did both front and rear kits and it made a world of difference.

If you've already adjusted the suspension for you (sag, etc) and you're still not happy, read on and ask away! Jeff at Procycle spent a few minutes on the phone with me to help with the choice. Even after the kit install, I rode it without setting the sag for a bit....then did it...which made things even better.

Take a look at the instruction link on PC's site if ya haven't to make sure you're up for it. Not difficult, but I just read everything twice and took it slow. The second one I did on a friends bike went much quicker.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:09 AM   #75448
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,369
Quote:

I've had both. The Acerbis is heads and shoulders above the IMS.
It is just as easy to clean. In fact it keeps the new look better where the IMS being a shiny, smooth surface, gets kinda beat looking.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:59 AM   #75449
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 615
Quote:

As others have said the IMS finish is smooth, I would not call it shiney, but mine is very uneven. It just looks beat from day one.

I think the Acerbis has a better shape - it only took them 15 years to produce a tank for the DR-SE. Wish it had the brass inserts for petcock screws like the IMS instead of forcing screws into plastic - seems like they cheaped out there.
acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #75450
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper Dan View Post
I'm looking at upgrading the rear shock to something that actually works.

I would love to get a cogent rear rebuild but money is a bit tight. I've noticed on Procycles webiste I could buy the Race Tech Rear Shock Gold Valve kit for $159.95 plus delivery.

I'm sure cogent would be the best, but would this be a decent upgrade for the rear shock in comparison to the poor performing stock shock??

I have the Cogent upgrade and it works very well. That said the Race Tech upgrade will do everything needed for the type of riding done with a 400# dualsport bike. Unless your Buubba on the supercross track the Cogent is overkill, yet what a pleasant overkill. I find that most people can't ride well enough to actually use the advanced upgrades on dualsport mototrcycles. As nice as it is to have these suspension improvements, really, unless you were pretty good on the race track the average person can't tell the differrence.