Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #75451
dirt hokie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 623
Is the balancer chain simular to a timing chain, and is it a major PIA if it needsto be replaced, and dose it destroy the motor if it goes south fast. Even if the engine is toast i might get it to build a hybrid bike any way, but i would have to get it dirt cheap for that. I still need to confirm it has a valid street title ect... Might even be able to see it run. More research tonight, its only 1/4 mile from my house.
dirt hokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #75452
inroads
Wimberley,Texas

Oddometer: 239
dr 650 side covers

Anyone know where to buy side covers at the best price?
inroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #75453
Colorado CJ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
Thanks everyone! I just ordered the Acerbis tank from justgastanks.com They have a coupon code for ADVRiders that saved me $14.00 and free shipping.

Can't wait to install it so I don't have to worry about finding gas out in the sticks.

'09 DL650
'06 DR650
Colorado CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:22 PM   #75454
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,781
Acerbis vs Stock Tank Weight

Wondering who has weighed them and if there is much difference.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:41 PM   #75455
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
Wondering who has weighed them and if there is much difference.
It is a DR
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #75456
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
My tank makes my butt look fat.
Funny, my butt makes my tank look small....
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #75457
dirt hokie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 623
Ok it's a 1990 and the shock is blown
dirt hokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #75458
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by barko1 View Post
It is a DR
Sorry, no, I'm asking about the tanks, not the bike. I'm trying to find out what the tanks weigh and the difference between the two in weight, regardless of the bike.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #75459
inroads
Wimberley,Texas

Oddometer: 239
Acerbis tank price?

Colorado cj what did you pay with the discount?
inroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #75460
Swell_rider
Swell Rider

Oddometer: 14
Front Brake Caliper hanger - small parts?

Just did the full Galfer supermoto 320mm front disk upgrade (via ProCycle), with their pads, braided hose, and a longer caliper hanger for my supermoto wheelset. Wow, big improvement on the road! It actually slows down pretty fast when you grab a handful. What a concept.

But... I still want to change back and forth to the stock wheels easily, and don't really need the extra power, or want to ding up the big disk in the dirt, so switching the big disk back and forth on the hubs, or getting another one for the 21" wheel is out, not to mention the extra $$.

So in addition to switching the front drive sprocket (bigger for dirt, smaller for road, duh) and the wheels themselves, I also have to change the caliper hangers (so the caliper fits either the stock or 320mm disk), no big deal.

But I've also got to change three small parts that attach directly to each hanger: a little flat springs that holds in one end of the pads, a flimsy little rubber boot, and one slide pin that screws into the hanger.
What a hassle. And I just know that damn spring is going to fly across my garage and get lost at some point.
Ok. So I go to partsfish.com and try to order an extra set. Well, you can guess what's coming... you can get the rubber boot (#7 in image linked below) and the slide pin (#6), but if you want that little brake pad retaining spring, Suzuki will sell it to you, but ONLY if you get a new brake hanger too (#11). Both for only $70. What a deal!
Click link to see blow up of all the parts.

http://tinyurl.com/d9btuo3

So... Any Zuke nuts here run into this issue themselfs and solve it? Has it been threaded about already on ADR? I tried to search and can't find it on the DR thread.
Or does anyone know a source for a substitute brake caliper brakepad retaining spring (or whatever they call it) that fits the DR caliper?
Is this spring a generic motorcycle brake part I can easily find at any well stocked moto shop?

Thanks a bunch inmates.
Swell_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:28 PM   #75461
blackcap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swell_rider View Post
Just did the full Galfer supermoto 320mm front disk upgrade (via ProCycle), with their pads, braided hose, and a longer caliper hanger for my supermoto wheelset. Wow, big improvement on the road! It actually slows down pretty fast when you grab a handful. What a concept.

But... I still want to change back and forth to the stock wheels easily, and don't really need the extra power, or want to ding up the big disk in the dirt, so switching the big disk back and forth on the hubs, or getting another one for the 21" wheel is out, not to mention the extra $$.

So in addition to switching the front drive sprocket (bigger for dirt, smaller for road, duh) and the wheels themselves, I also have to change the caliper hangers (so the caliper fits either the stock or 320mm disk), no big deal.

But I've also got to change three small parts that attach directly to each hanger: a little flat springs that holds in one end of the pads, a flimsy little rubber boot, and one slide pin that screws into the hanger.
What a hassle. And I just know that damn spring is going to fly across my garage and get lost at some point.
Ok. So I go to partsfish.com and try to order an extra set. Well, you can guess what's coming... you can get the rubber boot (#7 in image linked below) and the slide pin (#6), but if you want that little brake pad retaining spring, Suzuki will sell it to you, but ONLY if you get a new brake hanger too (#11). Both for only $70. What a deal!
Click link to see blow up of all the parts.

http://tinyurl.com/d9btuo3

So... Any Zuke nuts here run into this issue themselfs and solve it? Has it been threaded about already on ADR? I tried to search and can't find it on the DR thread.
Or does anyone know a source for a substitute brake caliper brakepad retaining spring (or whatever they call it) that fits the DR caliper?
Is this spring a generic motorcycle brake part I can easily find at any well stocked moto shop?

Thanks a bunch inmates.
i used to do this exact setup (only used a smaller front sprocket for off road, but im sure thats what you meant too?). i only ever had the pin (part 6 in your pic) as an extra. from what i can remember its the only part that requires any real work in the change over; unscrewing from one and into the other bracket. the rubber boot pulled out and pushed back into its new home easily enough and, correct me if im wrong, but doesnt that spring stay in place as long as you dont remove the pads?

Australia to Iceland on a DR650 http://oztoice.wordpress.com
and facebook https://www.facebook.com/oztoice
blackcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #75462
Colorado CJ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by inroads View Post
Colorado cj what did you pay with the discount?
It was $256.49, the normal price is $269.99.

The coupon code is advrider

'09 DL650
'06 DR650
Colorado CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #75463
Carbster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
320 swappin' blues

I just bought two 320mm kits for 199/ each. I'll sell the extra bracket. I just need to set up this vapor pickup to the rotor bolts. Dyno this weekend and then dropping in the 790 kit! YeaYa!! ;)
Carbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #75464
Swell_rider
Swell Rider

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
i used to do this exact setup (only used a smaller front sprocket for off road, but im sure thats what you meant too?). i only ever had the pin (part 6 in your pic) as an extra. from what i can remember its the only part that requires any real work in the change over; unscrewing from one and into the other bracket. the rubber boot pulled out and pushed back into its new home easily enough and, correct me if im wrong, but doesnt that spring stay in place as long as you dont remove the pads?
Yeah, what you said about using small sprocket for dirt. What was I thinking?

And, yes, the spring does need to move from one bracket to the other.

Guess I'll just switch the spring when changing brackets, and get the other two parts online so I don't have to mess with them too.
Swell_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #75465
poppawheelie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
Shorai Battery

Now that it's been around awhile, what's the consensus of opinion for it's use in the DR? Has anyone actually used it for starting in a cold climate; or run heated gear or grips with it?

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me
poppawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote