Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 01:53 AM   #75511
inroads
Wimberley,Texas

Oddometer: 198
I have had the CV carb and the pumper with fmf header and Gsxr pipe. IMO save your money and keep it stock. If you want real changes you have to go big bore and then the cost and reliability weigh in and then I think you should just look at more modern bikes.17 year old air cooled technology is best left alone and stock.
inroads is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:27 AM   #75512
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by frecks View Post

The question I have is this: After I lower the rear as mentioned above, my math tells me that the bike will still be 2" too tall for her.
I'd suggest you go as low as possible to start. The DR is a heavy bike for beginning riders, especially females who are apt to have limited upper body strength. I think guys sometimes fail to take that particular point into consideration. I've had good results with a Seat Concepts standard height kit with FIRM foam. Then use a belt sander or electric carving knife to shave it down to height and narrow it a bit along the sides where it meets the number plates. The firm foam is good stuff; it can be shaved thin and still offer better support than the crap stock seat. I tried the low kit and did not like it. It was too soft and felt like it had a dip cut in it that kept me in one spot crammed against the tank. Most of us agree the stock foam is trash. While you're pondering the Seat Concepts kit, go ahead and take the stock seat apart and shave the hell out of it so she can see where she stands. You may want to pull the factory foam off the pan entirely and try a couple layers of carpet padding or some such to start. The cover will go back on and tuck under the pan enough to be usable without the staples. I know all this must sound fairly crude. Please bear in mind I'm a redneck from Kentucky; we go at most things with a pocket knife, baling twine, and duct tape.

Sarah
Old 04-06-2013, 03:28 AM   #75513
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by inroads View Post
I have had the CV carb and the pumper with fmf header and Gsxr pipe. IMO save your money and keep it stock. If you want real changes you have to go big bore and then the cost and reliability weigh in and then I think you should just look at more modern bikes.17 year old air cooled technology is best left alone and stock.
IMO 17 year old tech needs fiddling to get the best out of it. A pumper and pipe make a big difference.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:14 AM   #75514
inroads
Wimberley,Texas

My experience: the CV stock vs.Pumper/header/GSXR pipe made a small difference,to say nothing of the drop in gas mileage and the $700+.
IMO,not worth it. (BTW,jetting per Kientech)
Old 04-06-2013, 07:13 AM   #75515
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,173
Quote:
My experience: the CV stock vs.Pumper/header/GSXR pipe made a small difference,to say nothing of the drop in gas mileage and the $700+.
At least 90% or more who changed out to a pumper carb would disagree with this statement.I may have lost 5 mph,but the fun factor out ways that big time.It all depends on where and how you ride.It's the way the fuel is delivered.Nothing wrong with stock,but most us just can't leave things alone.It makes the DR motor run like it should.People who have bad mileage have poorly jetted/setup carbs.Talk to the people with the Dyno Jet kit who get crappy mileage,it's over jetted. Stock HP is 34-36,with the mods about you are close to 40.HP cost money,If that is you want to do.And it runs a hole lot better.And you don't have to spend 700$ if you do it right.
Stock cark/Dyno Jet vs Pumper is apples and oranges,for me how and where I ride it well worth it.
My FCR-MX DIYwas right around 200$ installed and running.Exhaust:35FO,mid-pipe and flange right at 200$.Took some time ,but then again I am a cheap/poor bastard.

sandwash screwed with this post 04-06-2013 at 08:01 AM
sandwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:24 AM   #75516
SkunkWizard
recycle crime scene tape

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwash View Post
At least 90% or more who changed out to a pumper carb would disagree with this statement.I may have lost 5 mph,but the fun factor out ways that big time.It all depends on were and how you ride.It's the way the fuel is delivered.Nothing wrong with stock,but most us just can't leave things alone.It make the DR motor run like it should.People who have bad mileage have poorly jetted/setup carb.Talk the the people with the Dyno Jet kit who get crappy mileage,it's over jetted. Stock HP is 34-36,with the mods about you are close to 40.HP cost money,If that is you want to do.And runs a hole lot better.And you don't have to spend 700$ if you do it right.
SkunkWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:41 AM   #75517
inroads
Wimberley,Texas

Im speaking for myself.Sandwash is speaking for "90%"
You do have to spend $700,as stated unless your buying used stuff.
You say"some people just can't leave things alone" that is part of the problem
I say start with a $18 engine sprocket and a tuned carb and keep your MPG and better altitude compensation.

inroads screwed with this post 04-06-2013 at 08:52 AM
Old 04-06-2013, 08:52 AM   #75518
Krusty ...
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch97501 View Post
So Ive had a DR650 for a few years now. I put a RM250 front end on it and had the shock redone. Bigger tank and wolfman luggage and a concept seat. The only mod I havent done is a pumper carb. I live about 20 miles from Jessi at kientech and he has new pumper carbs in stock. The bike runs great and will handle most of what I throw at it. I miss the snap that a dual overhead cam motor has to offer. Would a pumper carb over come this or would I be better off with a more modern bike?

A flatslide with an AP will provide quicker response than a CV, but in the case of the DR, it's not a dramatic difference. I'm happy I swapped to the TM, but I'm also happy I found a used one.
I've heard the DR650 motor described with a lot of complimentary words, but "snappy" ain't one of them. Look at its power output on a dyno chart. The torque curve is pretty flat, not spiky. It's more of a tractor engine than a sportbike.
You might be better off lowering the gearing and adding 1/6 turn throttle tube if you want to feel the acceleration faster...
Old 04-06-2013, 09:00 AM   #75519
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwash View Post
people who have bad mileage have poorly jetted/setup carbs.
+1
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:05 AM   #75520
SCExpat
Ex-expat

Oddometer: 563
Cheap tubeless conversion......

Just finished doing the back tire on my DR650. I used a wire wheel to clean the rim and especially the spot where it is welded together. Used brake cleaner just before putting on the liquid tape. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Performix-...-Tape/16888975
The liquid tape Was not as easy to use as I had hoped. It had a tendency to shrink a bit as it cured. Some of the nipples turned out really good but others had a small hole in it. I can only guess that this was from the solvent evaporating and escaping via this little hole. So I ended up putting 4 coats on to make sure all the little holes were covered. Aired up the tire and overnight it lost about 2PSI Stuck it in the kiddie pool and all the spokes/nipples were good but......there was a small leak between the tire and rim. Going to ride it a bit and hope somehow it seals up. Just really want the ability to fix a flat in a minute without pulling a tire/tube on the side of the road. The front tire is next.

SCExpat screwed with this post 04-06-2013 at 11:11 AM
SCExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:04 PM   #75521
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,072
Quote:
My mileage stayed the same.
Jetting as per MX_rob.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:10 PM   #75522
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,859
I've had both the pumper and of the course the stock. I went back to the stock carb because I'm weak and puny and the heavy return spring after all day in the saddle was just intruding too much into the ride.
Short story short. I used the PC jet kit on the stocker and to be honest the difference between the two is nil.
I adventure tour the bike for reference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #75523
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCExpat View Post
Just finished doing the back tire on my DR650. I used a wire wheel to clean the rim and especially the spot where it is welded together. Used brake cleaner just before putting on the liquid tape. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Performix-...-Tape/16888975
The liquid tape Was not as easy to use as I had hoped. It had a tendency to shrink a bit as it cured. Some of the nipples turned out really good but others had a small hole in it. I can only guess that this was from the solvent evaporating and escaping via this little hole. So I ended up putting 4 coats on to make sure all the little holes were covered. Aired up the tire and overnight it lost about 2PSI Stuck it in the kiddie pool and all the spokes/nipples were good but......there was a small leak between the tire and rim. Going to ride it a bit and hope somehow it seals up. Just really want the ability to fix a flat in a minute without pulling a tire/tube on the side of the road. The front tire is next.
Good writeup here... and mixed reviews

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=845718
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #75524
SoPaRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
SCExpat

I'll be sendin' positive vibes your way, in hopes that your able to pull this off, plugin' tires is a whole lot easier that changin' out tubes. I've known KLR owners who made this work!

Jeff (SoPaRider)

'09 DR650SE
P.M. me for copies of my 15 Michaux State Forest Dual Sport Routes; check the Trip Planning/Tent Space Sign-Up Thread/Page 33/Post #492/8-2011 for info on our "Motorcyclist Manor"; IT'S FREE!.
48 states, D.C., 5 provinces and Bermuda down; the rest of the world to go!
SoPaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:20 AM   #75525
SCExpat
Ex-expat

Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoPaRider View Post
SCExpat

I'll be sendin' positive vibes your way, in hopes that your able to pull this off, plugin' tires is a whole lot easier that changin' out tubes. I've known KLR owners who made this work!

Jeff (SoPaRider)

'09 DR650SE
Thanks. I got the idea here: http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showt...nder-10-00!!!!

Lots of SuMo riders making it work. I have been real lucky with not getting a flat on a bike for......years. But, that luck will run out sometime and when it does I do not want to have to fix a tube on the side of the road. That is the only reason I am doing this.
SCExpat is offline   Reply With Quote