Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 08:24 AM   #75526
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I also own a KTM 690. Were tallking a bike that has 15 more HP and weighs 50 lbs less. The DR is not even in the same ball park as the 690. Hell, it's not even in the same zip code.
My buddy has a 08 690 as well and my DR is never in the same zip code as his either. My DR is usually 2 zip codes farther down the road simply because that 690 is plagued with gremlins
Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:24 AM   #75527
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,124
Mine is pretty bad, so I decided to do something about it/ The gasket kit and seals came on Friday and the pistons should be here one day this week. I am only doing the piston because I will be in there and it cost me very little. I worked for a JE distributor for a long time and the piston is costing me less than dealer cost. Since I will be in there anyway it very little to the labor. I figure a couple of hours one night this week and no more smoke and a hi-comp piston, seems like a no brainer for little money.
Decided to edit the price out
Old 04-07-2013, 08:56 AM   #75528
Moore
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
My buddy has a 08 690 as well and my DR is never in the same zip code as his either. My DR is usually 2 zip codes farther down the road simply because that 690 is plagued with gremlins
Lol
Haha nice one. Slow and steady wins the race! DockingPilot, I just read your AWESOME ride report from your trip up here a few years ago. Didn't know you converted to a DR!
Old 04-07-2013, 09:06 AM   #75529
rch10007
Dotted Quad Ranger

Oddometer: 39
Has anyone used silicon or sealant to seal the inside of the wheel so that if you did get a flat, it would slow the air leaking from the tube? Kinda like trying to make a tubeless setup but still using the tube?

Just wondering if anyone has went through the trouble of doing so...been thinking about sealing mine the next time I change tubes and tires, which are in my garage waiting.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:18 AM   #75530
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by rch10007 View Post
Has anyone used silicon or sealant to seal the inside of the wheel so that if you did get a flat, it would slow the air leaking from the tube? Kinda like trying to make a tubeless setup but still using the tube?

Just wondering if anyone has went through the trouble of doing so...been thinking about sealing mine the next time I change tubes and tires, which are in my garage waiting.
Probably wouldn't help much, unless you have a tubless type tire. Tube type tires don't seal as well to the rim.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #75531
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,034
Quote:
Lol

Keep holding on to that fantasy, I'm sure it makes swallowing the bile easier.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #75532
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,247
Another broken top roller... on my '96.

It didn't tear a huge chunk out, fortunately. Mostly just the nut itself.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:24 AM   #75533
MADurstewitz
MADMark

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
My '96 w/ 20K miles on it does the same thing. I've made peace with the fact. I just run it. I figure throwing money at a 17 year old bike that only has a liitle ache first thing in the morning isn't really worth doing.

I figure if it gets bad enough, I can buy a low mileage 2005 for $3000 and put my suspension, skidplate and seat on it and sell the old one for $1500 and never loose a days riding.
Try back blowing your spark arrestor first. A carbon buildup in there can cause those exact symptoms.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #75534
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Quote:
Keep holding on to that fantasy, I'm sure it makes swallowing the bile easier.
No fantasy. His 690 has a lot of problems. Don't take it so personal it has no reflection on you so calm down. Lol I've own many KTM s and will own an 1190 soon.
Just he fact mam just the facts.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:16 PM   #75535
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,034
Quote:
No fantasy. His 690 has a lot of problems. Don't take it so personal it has no reflection on you so calm down. Lol I've own many KTM s and will own an 1190 soon.
Just he fact mam just the facts.

LOL, out of a whole paragraph talking about carbs and exhausts for the DR that's what you pulled out. I think the term "physician, heal thyself" applies there. FWIW, the facts are that my DR hasn't grenaded third gear yet.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #75536
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,247
Just took my DR out for a quick ride to see if the heated gear was working, and the bike is running like a pig. About 1/4 throttle it sounds like someone's shutting off the ignition repeatedly as the bike is bucking really violently. This is pretty much the first ride of the year, so the gas is about 5 months old, though I did have fuel conditioner in it.

I think I might have some blocked jets. Possibly moisture in the fuel? As far as I know there's no Ethanol in the bike - we try to fill up at stations which don't blend.

Should I tear into it or put some methyl hydrate in to see if I can clear the jets first try first?
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #75537
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,253
Bad miss at speed?

My DR has been running very well, stocked rejetted cark, open airbox, Staintune exhaust, good throttle response etc. Just replaced the Pro Cycle remote chock knob. So today I would get an engine cut out usually at 77 mph in top gear when accelerating (geared down a tooth on the CS), also in 4th at the proportionally slower speed. Cuts out for a second, seems to be completely, causing the bike to lurch forward and then it catches again and transfers the weight back, no fun in a curve on knobbies. I did change out the choke know but moving the choke when riding doesn't seem to replicate the issue. I had just recently filled up with gas but the bike runs fine except for the higher rpm cut up that really feels electrical, like the engine looses spark/ignition under higher combustion pressures??? Then the last 10 miles home I couldn't replicate it. Kept getting hard on the gas up towards 80 in 5th and it was fine. I was planning on going to Utah at the end of the week . For fixing the chock I had the tank off so it is possible I dislodged something. Certainly seemed electrical but ????? Any ideas. The bike is a 98, maybe the purple is going strange.
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:50 PM   #75538
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
Check fuel filters first. Small one in the fuel line and external if added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Just took my DR out for a quick ride to see if the heated gear was working, and the bike is running like a pig. About 1/4 throttle it sounds like someone's shutting off the ignition repeatedly as the bike is bucking really violently. This is pretty much the first ride of the year, so the gas is about 5 months old, though I did have fuel conditioner in it.

I think I might have some blocked jets. Possibly moisture in the fuel? As far as I know there's no Ethanol in the bike - we try to fill up at stations which don't blend.

Should I tear into it or put some methyl hydrate in to see if I can clear the jets first try first?

DR650 - Eyes open all of the time
Escaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #75539
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
Check fuel filters first. Small one in the fuel line and external if added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barko1 View Post
My DR has been running very well, stocked rejetted cark, open airbox, Staintune exhaust, good throttle response etc. Just replaced the Pro Cycle remote chock knob. So today I would get an engine cut out usually at 77 mph in top gear when accelerating (geared down a tooth on the CS), also in 4th at the proportionally slower speed. Cuts out for a second, seems to be completely, causing the bike to lurch forward and then it catches again and transfers the weight back, no fun in a curve on knobbies. I did change out the choke know but moving the choke when riding doesn't seem to replicate the issue. I had just recently filled up with gas but the bike runs fine except for the higher rpm cut up that really feels electrical, like the engine looses spark/ignition under higher combustion pressures??? Then the last 10 miles home I couldn't replicate it. Kept getting hard on the gas up towards 80 in 5th and it was fine. I was planning on going to Utah at the end of the week . For fixing the chock I had the tank off so it is possible I dislodged something. Certainly seemed electrical but ????? Any ideas. The bike is a 98, maybe the purple is going strange.

DR650 - Eyes open all of the time
Escaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #75540
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Quote:
LOL, out of a whole paragraph talking about carbs and exhausts for the DR that's what you pulled out. I think the term "physician, heal thyself" applies there. FWIW, the facts are that my DR hasn't grenaded third gear yet.
Guys like you are a riot ! And easy to wind up.
Im sitting right now with Bruce (2 time USA ISDE rider and 2 time ECEA Grand Champion, owns a 990, SE and the 08 690) in his living room. I showed him your concern for his bike and he laughed of course "What's he give a rats ass about my bike for, it's not like you talking about his mother"

But hey, as funny as it is, it's also getting juvenile, so to get off the subject and back to the DR, and so you can sleep tonight, I'll proclaim, my friend who lives half way around the world from Albie, Bruce Kenny's 690 is the most dead nuts reliable bike he has ever ridden or I ever had the honor to ridden with.

No harm or ill intent was meant Albie me boy.
You live in a cool country though, been there once, Sydney, "The rock", Kings Canyon, and the Whitsunday Islands on the GBR. Unfortunately not on a bike though.
Very cool

DockingPilot screwed with this post 04-07-2013 at 02:17 PM