User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 10:27 AM   #75556
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
upper roller

You might be able to adjust the chain loose enough to avoid problems with the upper roller if you are not an overly aggressive dirt rider--- but why?

I have never seen ONE report of a problem encountered involving a chain mishap because the upper roller was removed on a stock suspension, not one.

But if it makes you feel better having it on, go for it.

Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:37 AM   #75557
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagLite
Anyone looking for a complete engine?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-DR650-D...e836e2&vxp=mtr

Excellent price I think.

If shipping to Alaska wasn't so expensive I would already have bought it!

But, now I will give you a chance
Local pick-up only, in Maryland.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #75558
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Yeah, Rick and I think this will be a good fit.
The plan is for ProCycle to build up enough inventory of 'Cogent Built' shocks to be able to sell them on an exchange basis rather than the old way of sending a shock to Cogent and having the bike down for a couple weeks. It also should be easier for Rick as he will be running ProCycle shocks in batches without having to coordinate the anodizing with several separate shock customers.
Will this partnership allow for more custom damping rates? Swapping springs should not be a problem ... but revising rebound and compression to suit a wide variety of riders may not be a "one size, fits all" solution?

I see Rick offers many options like Nitride coating and lots more ... can these "extras" be offered on shocks Pro Cycle keep in stock?
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #75559
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY View Post
Guys I think most of you are forgetting something about tearing out the upper chain roller. Whether the chain is adjusted too tight or not when you are under strong acceleration and the rear shock is under heavy compression the chain is going to push against the upper roller with a lot of force.
TravelGuy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumlover View Post
You might be able to adjust the chain loose enough to avoid problems with the upper roller if you are not an overly aggressive dirt rider--- but why?

I have never seen ONE report of a problem encountered involving a chain mishap because the upper roller was removed on a stock suspension, not one.

But if it makes you feel better having it on, go for it.

I'm on this side of the theoretical fence.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #75560
gjcarving
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Just ordered two sets of Warp 9 levers for our DRs. Since my wife and I are selling our BMW F650 and 800GS, it just makes sense to farkle the bikes we want to keep.

Long live simple bikes!
Just out of curiosity, why are you getting rid of the f800gs. It has been one of the bikes I have been thinking about in the near future and like to hear owner opinions about them. Positive and Negative. Thanks!
gjcarving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #75561
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcarving View Post
Just out of curiosity, why are you getting rid of the f800gs. It has been one of the bikes I have been thinking about in the near future and like to hear owner opinions about them. Positive and Negative. Thanks!
Pm sent regards F800.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:25 PM   #75562
peng-a-win
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Throttle cable bracket?

I am in real need of help, i had my bike apart to install the pro-cycle jet kit and my wifes care came in with some major problems. and i had to drop everything to get her car back up and running. somewhere in the confusion i lost the throttle cable bracket for the (stock) carb. Suzuki has no part number and Mikuni will only sell as part of the whole carb. Does anyone know where a replacement can be found or a way to make something work safely. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
peng-a-win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:09 PM   #75563
shu

Oddometer: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by peng-a-win View Post
I am in real need of help, i had my bike apart to install the pro-cycle jet kit and my wifes care came in with some major problems. and i had to drop everything to get her car back up and running. somewhere in the confusion i lost the throttle cable bracket for the (stock) carb. Suzuki has no part number and Mikuni will only sell as part of the whole carb. Does anyone know where a replacement can be found or a way to make something work safely. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Do you mean the bracket that is attached to the top of the carb with 2 screws?
If so, PM me. I have a stock carb (2008) that is not in use. I can take the bracket off and send it to you. Where are you located?

..............shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:15 PM   #75564
JB650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Front Fork Clunk

Did some searching and can't seem to find a real answer so I was hoping some others could give me a hand. I installed emulators and new springs in my forks and I now notice a clunking when holding the front brake and rocking the bike back and forth. At first I thought perhaps the steering head bearings might be loose but I don't think that is it. If I put the front wheel against the wall and push up and down the fork will stroke nice and quiet. It seems like the noise is coming from slight front caliper movement and maybe I just never noticed before. Just curious if any others notice this sound. Really appreciate any assistance with this so I can stop pulling things apart trying to find it. Thanks.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming – “WOW – What a Ride!” -Anon.
JB650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:53 PM   #75565
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by peng-a-win View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
Do you mean the bracket that is attached to the top of the carb with 2 screws?
If so, PM me. I have a stock carb (2008) that is not in use. I can take the bracket off and send it to you. Where are you located?

..............shu
Shu da man.

Peng, this one? I don't know how you got it off. I think Suzuki used NASA RED Loctite on mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB650 View Post
......................emulators and new springs............................
Did you cut your spacers to fit with the suggested preload? You are going to love the emulators.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 04-08-2013 at 07:04 PM
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:02 PM   #75566
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcarving View Post
The 800 and 650 have been great bikes for us but last year we had 7 vehicles insured and on the road and spent most of our disposable income on keeping them on the road. The BMWs didn't get much use once we got our DRs set up properly. So we just decided the BMWs were the machines we would miss the least.

Besides, ABS, fuel injection, double disc brakes and electronic instrument panels are well and good while they're working, but expensive to fix. There's nothing on the DR that can't be fixed with Number 9 Fine Bailing Twine. And that's what I want now.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #75567
JB650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Did you cut your spacers to fit with the suggested preload? You are going to love the emulators. [/QUOTE]

Well I think so, I was told to use about 8mm of preload and that's what I have. I may need more?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming – “WOW – What a Ride!” -Anon.
JB650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #75568
peng-a-win
n00b

Oddometer: 2
bracket

er70s that is the one. I figured it would be easier to pop that off for a carb removal than to reset the cables every time. It was about all the torque the screws could take but wasn't bad. Until someone went looking for the tie rod puller and knocked the bracket into unknown oblivion.
peng-a-win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #75569
badweatherbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 702
Well guys it was fun while it lasted but I sold the DR to an inmate this weekend. It was alot of fun while I had her but I took a beating on my commute with the Florida thunderstorms and wind recently.
Thanks for all the help and conversation and I am sure the new owner will be checking in now and then
Advocare products-www.advocare.com/12084065
badweatherbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:31 PM   #75570
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by badweatherbiker View Post
Well guys it was fun while it lasted but I sold the DR to an inmate this weekend. It was alot of fun while I had her but I took a beating on my commute with the Florida thunderstorms and wind recently.
Thanks for all the help and conversation and I am sure the new owner will be checking in now and then
Maybe you should change your name to 'fairweatherbiker'?

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 04-08-2013 at 08:43 PM
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote