ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 03:25 PM   #75556
peng-a-win
n00b
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Oddometer: 2
Throttle cable bracket?

I am in real need of help, i had my bike apart to install the pro-cycle jet kit and my wifes care came in with some major problems. and i had to drop everything to get her car back up and running. somewhere in the confusion i lost the throttle cable bracket for the (stock) carb. Suzuki has no part number and Mikuni will only sell as part of the whole carb. Does anyone know where a replacement can be found or a way to make something work safely. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
peng-a-win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:09 PM   #75557
shu
...
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Colorado
Oddometer: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by peng-a-win View Post
I am in real need of help, i had my bike apart to install the pro-cycle jet kit and my wifes care came in with some major problems. and i had to drop everything to get her car back up and running. somewhere in the confusion i lost the throttle cable bracket for the (stock) carb. Suzuki has no part number and Mikuni will only sell as part of the whole carb. Does anyone know where a replacement can be found or a way to make something work safely. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Do you mean the bracket that is attached to the top of the carb with 2 screws?
If so, PM me. I have a stock carb (2008) that is not in use. I can take the bracket off and send it to you. Where are you located?


..............shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:15 PM   #75558
JB650
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Appleton, Wisconsin
Oddometer: 17
Front Fork Clunk

Did some searching and can't seem to find a real answer so I was hoping some others could give me a hand. I installed emulators and new springs in my forks and I now notice a clunking when holding the front brake and rocking the bike back and forth. At first I thought perhaps the steering head bearings might be loose but I don't think that is it. If I put the front wheel against the wall and push up and down the fork will stroke nice and quiet. It seems like the noise is coming from slight front caliper movement and maybe I just never noticed before. Just curious if any others notice this sound. Really appreciate any assistance with this so I can stop pulling things apart trying to find it. Thanks.
__________________
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming – “WOW – What a Ride!” -Anon.
JB650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:53 PM   #75559
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer
 
ER70S-2's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: SE Denver-ish
Oddometer: 6,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by peng-a-win View Post
I am in real need of help, i had my bike apart to install the pro-cycle jet kit and my wifes care came in with some major problems. and i had to drop everything to get her car back up and running. somewhere in the confusion i lost the throttle cable bracket for the (stock) carb. Suzuki has no part number and Mikuni will only sell as part of the whole carb. Does anyone know where a replacement can be found or a way to make something work safely. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
Do you mean the bracket that is attached to the top of the carb with 2 screws?
If so, PM me. I have a stock carb (2008) that is not in use. I can take the bracket off and send it to you. Where are you located?

..............shu
Shu da man.

Peng, this one? I don't know how you got it off. I think Suzuki used NASA RED Loctite on mine.



Quote:
Originally Posted by JB650 View Post
......................emulators and new springs............................
Did you cut your spacers to fit with the suggested preload? You are going to love the emulators.
__________________
2004 DR650: 62,402 miles
2013 WR250R

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 04-08-2013 at 07:04 PM
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:02 PM   #75560
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 9,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcarving View Post
Just out of curiosity, why are you getting rid of the f800gs. It has been one of the bikes I have been thinking about in the near future and like to hear owner opinions about them. Positive and Negative. Thanks!
The 800 and 650 have been great bikes for us but last year we had 7 vehicles insured and on the road and spent most of our disposable income on keeping them on the road. The BMWs didn't get much use once we got our DRs set up properly. So we just decided the BMWs were the machines we would miss the least.

Besides, ABS, fuel injection, double disc brakes and electronic instrument panels are well and good while they're working, but expensive to fix. There's nothing on the DR that can't be fixed with Number 9 Fine Bailing Twine. And that's what I want now.
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #75561
JB650
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Appleton, Wisconsin
Oddometer: 17
Did you cut your spacers to fit with the suggested preload? You are going to love the emulators. [/QUOTE]


Well I think so, I was told to use about 8mm of preload and that's what I have. I may need more?
__________________
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming – “WOW – What a Ride!” -Anon.
JB650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #75562
peng-a-win
n00b
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Oddometer: 2
bracket

er70s that is the one. I figured it would be easier to pop that off for a carb removal than to reset the cables every time. It was about all the torque the screws could take but wasn't bad. Until someone went looking for the tie rod puller and knocked the bracket into unknown oblivion.
peng-a-win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #75563
badweatherbiker
Studly Adventurer
 
badweatherbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: North Florida
Oddometer: 703
Well guys it was fun while it lasted but I sold the DR to an inmate this weekend. It was alot of fun while I had her but I took a beating on my commute with the Florida thunderstorms and wind recently.
Thanks for all the help and conversation and I am sure the new owner will be checking in now and then
__________________
1996 Kawasaki KZ1000P (currently being rebuilt)
World class nutritional supplements, weight loss, meal replacement shakes, quality energy drinks, pre and post workout supplements!
Earn extra income, become a distributor or just purchase:
Advocare products-www.advocare.com/12084065
badweatherbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:31 PM   #75564
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 9,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by badweatherbiker View Post
Well guys it was fun while it lasted but I sold the DR to an inmate this weekend. It was alot of fun while I had her but I took a beating on my commute with the Florida thunderstorms and wind recently.
Thanks for all the help and conversation and I am sure the new owner will be checking in now and then
Maybe you should change your name to 'fairweatherbiker'?
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 04-08-2013 at 08:43 PM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:47 PM   #75565
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer
 
Mambo Dave's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: 11 ft. AMSL
Oddometer: 5,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Maybe you should change your name to 'fairweatherbiker'?
LOL.

I rode my bikes every day of work (EVERY day) for over a year and a half, exactly 80 miles a day. That was through tropical storm feeder bands, the really cold and the really hot weather. Rains, heat and wind... yeah, that was the small stuff usually.

Dress for it, show up to work wet, change into the dry clothes you brought, rinse, repeat, and - oh yeah - fill that fuel tank up every day on the 40 mile ride home.


But maybe he's saying he wants a full fairing bike to do the same with?
__________________
"After reading through this thread I've come to the conclusion
that more people cruise the internet looking for reasons why
X bike won't work in Y scenario rather than actually riding
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #75566
shu
...
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Colorado
Oddometer: 996
Home again

My riding partner hot footed it home from the border, but I decided to take a few more days to get home to Colorado.

We got our VIN numbers photographed and our papers stamped at the Vehicle Importation Office, which is hidden away near the border. Then we sort jumped in line towards the front and waited for the border to open.



Halfway across, by the (in)famous Border Fence.




I spent the next three days riding dirt roads through New Mexico. Lonely country- I like it.



Storm's coming in so I jumped on I-25 at Raton NM and headed for home.



The DR's unpacked and covered up under the eave of my house, ready for the storm. I had at least 4 hours to spare- it's snowing now. We're supposed to get 8-15 inches.

Maybe I should go back to Mexico for a while...........


.............shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #75567
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer
 
ER70S-2's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: SE Denver-ish
Oddometer: 6,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
So we just decided the BMWs were the machines we would miss the least.

Besides, ABS, fuel injection, double disc brakes and electronic instrument panels are well and good while they're working, but expensive to fix. There's nothing on the DR that can't be fixed with Number 9 Fine Bailing Twine. And that's what I want now.
Well, those are some pretty good reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB650 View Post
Well I think so, I was told to use about 8mm of preload and that's what I have. I may need more?
Nope, that sounds pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peng-a-win View Post
er70s that is the one. I figured it would be easier to pop that off for a carb removal than to reset the cables every time. It was about all the torque the screws could take but wasn't bad.
Good reason, damn those screws were tight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peng-a-win View Post
Until someone went looking for the tie rod puller and knocked the bracket into unknown oblivion.
Keep yer wife outta the garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badweatherbiker View Post
Well guys it was fun while it lasted but I sold the DR to an inmate this weekend. It was alot of fun while I had her but I took a beating on my commute with the Florida thunderstorms and wind recently.
Thanks for all the help and conversation and I am sure the new owner will be checking in now and then
Dammit, we just got ya learned. Good luck wherever you end up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
But maybe he's saying he wants a full fairing bike to do the same with?
I loved my FJR, well I did before it tried to squish me. I may have had something to do with the incident.
__________________
2004 DR650: 62,402 miles
2013 WR250R

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:11 PM   #75568
bluebird120
Farts Are Funny
 
bluebird120's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Colorado Springs
Oddometer: 74
DR650 Before + After

From DR650


From DR650
bluebird120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:44 PM   #75569
badweatherbiker
Studly Adventurer
 
badweatherbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: North Florida
Oddometer: 703
what I am saying is 2 hours a day on the interstate on a DR 650 sucks and I have had enough.... besides I mainly sold it to buy my daughter a car. geez guys thanks. she is going through some medical issues so i figured I would help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
LOL.

I rode my bikes every day of work (EVERY day) for over a year and a half, exactly 80 miles a day. That was through tropical storm feeder bands, the really cold and the really hot weather. Rains, heat and wind... yeah, that was the small stuff usually.

Dress for it, show up to work wet, change into the dry clothes you brought, rinse, repeat, and - oh yeah - fill that fuel tank up every day on the 40 mile ride home.


But maybe he's saying he wants a full fairing bike to do the same with?
__________________
1996 Kawasaki KZ1000P (currently being rebuilt)
World class nutritional supplements, weight loss, meal replacement shakes, quality energy drinks, pre and post workout supplements!
Earn extra income, become a distributor or just purchase:
Advocare products-www.advocare.com/12084065
badweatherbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:54 PM   #75570
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer
 
ER70S-2's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: SE Denver-ish
Oddometer: 6,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
Halfway across, by the (in)famous Border Fence.
Seems it needs to be taller/longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
I spent the next three days riding dirt roads through New Mexico. Lonely country- I like it.
That's why I like Utah's Canyonlands so much, miles and miles of DR friendly jeep roads. There are too many rock gardens in Colorado. Chances are high that I'll be stopped by a rocky section that I'd rather not ride on the DR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
Storm's coming in so I jumped on I-25 at Raton NM and headed for home.



The DR's unpacked and covered up under the eave of my house, ready for the storm. I had at least 4 hours to spare- it's snowing now. We're supposed to get 8-15 inches.
I went for a quick 200 mile ride today, to beat the weather. When I got back to Surrey Ridge it was 62*. Two miles later it was 46*.

Since a 4WD lost their license plate and a roll of carpet to get out, I should probably turn around and go another way.



Back 'em up, turn around.



Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
Maybe I should go back to Mexico for a while...........

.............shu
Yep, and take the weather with you.
__________________
2004 DR650: 62,402 miles
2013 WR250R

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 04-08-2013 at 11:08 PM
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014