Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #75616
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Ahhh, so I'm not the only one that does that.
Street signs, rocks, etc.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #75617
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex76 View Post
Hey, this ain't the KLR forum!!

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #75618
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRinCR View Post
Hi all

I have one of the old school models and have fount the book says DO NOT use lapping compound when seating the valves. The locals here find this strange and insist they seat them with lapping compound.

Can anyone shed light on this? Will it f*ck the whole deal if lapping compund is used?

Cheers
This is common advice on new MXers with titanium valves. Can't see how it would apply to a 1990 DR650. Is that really what it says in the factory manual?

A good valve job with modern equipment will make for a great seal without any lapping.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #75619
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
For sale in Kingman, AZ

Not mine, just saw this on the street yesterdy, a 93 with 8,000+ miles, looks stone stock and clean. Price sez $2100. Anyone interested send me a PM and I'll get the phone # for ya. No personal interest.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:18 PM   #75620
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
After putting something under the bike to make sure it doesn't collapse, of course.
It can be done by loosening only one side of the triple clamp. Same for the handle bar clamps. only need to loosen one of the 2 clamps.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #75621
ArgoBloke
DR Butcher

Oddometer: 24
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird120 View Post
From DR650
Awesome bike....looks great!!!
ArgoBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #75622
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,371
Wings on skid plate to close to oil filter housing and to close on oppisite side also...has this been addressed anywher in this forum.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #75623
GRinCR
Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Is that really what it says in the factory manual?

A good valve job with modern equipment will make for a great seal without any lapping.
Thank you ProCycle.

Yes, at least my manual does. It is not "RS" specific, but for the '90-91 DR650. I confirmed with another ADVfreak with the same bike and his manual says the same. States something about leaving a soft surface and the valves will seat themselves in the first few minutes of the engine running. Strange thing is I called a dealership stateside and their book for a '90/'91 makes no mention of not using lapping compound. Dealership here says they always use lapping compound and likely never look at the book either.

Modern equipment is going to tough to find here in Costa Rica. So my dilema is to lap or not to lap ? Brand spanking new valves are OEM and I have no clue what they are made of. Also, what happens if you do lap where no lapping is required?

Your two cents and everyone's as well is always appreciated.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it." -Abraham Lincoln
GRinCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:54 PM   #75624
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,445
So, my poor DR has sat in the garage all winter. It'll start, then die after about three seconds. Used fuel stabilizer when I put it to bed. Ideas?
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:04 PM   #75625
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayno View Post
Wings on skid plate to close to oil filter housing and to close on oppisite side also...has this been addressed anywher in this forum.
I just bent my skid plate out a bit. Been that way for over 3 years now.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:37 PM   #75626
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRinCR View Post
Modern equipment is going to tough to find here in Costa Rica. So my dilema is to lap or not to lap ? Brand spanking new valves are OEM and I have no clue what they are made of. Also, what happens if you do lap where no lapping is required?
I doubt you could do any harm by lapping the valves. If you went crazy with the lapping compound and a drill motor you could possibly wear through the hardened coating on the valve faces. Any sensible amount of careful lapping won't hurt in any way.

I wonder if the manual actually says (or means) not to grind the valves? Since the late 60s most Japanese motorcycle valves are made in such a way that if you re-grind valve face of a used valve you will remove the hardened coating and the valve will wear out in short order.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:03 PM   #75627
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
I doubt you could do any harm by lapping the valves. If you went crazy with the lapping compound and a drill motor you could possibly wear through the hardened coating on the valve faces. Any sensible amount of careful lapping won't hurt in any way.

I wonder if the manual actually says (or means) not to grind the valves? Since the late 60s most Japanese motorcycle valves are made in such a way that if you re-grind valve face of a used valve you will remove the hardened coating and the valve will wear out in short order.
We lap every valve in after a valve job just to confirm valve seat location and a good finish from the cutters. I doubt you could lap enough by HAND to move any material. We use mostly use a "4A" compound which is fine. We never use anything courser then a "B" which is considered medium/fine.

I have ground motorcycle valves as well with no problems. What you have to watch for is if the black hard nitriding is on the face of the valve. If so it was hardened AFTER being ground. But, if the face of the valve is not black it means the valve was hardened BEFORE the face was ground. If it is not black to begin with I go ahead and grind it. We actually grind every valve (even new) for automotive stuff. Mass produced valves are often out of round more then you would think.

I've seen the do not lap on motorcycles an foreign cars for the exact reason you stated- for seat in purposes. I can only guess why. 14 years building motors- every valve lapped- and not one leaker; so I'm going with what has worked for me.

I'm with ProCycle- Lap them boys in and start burning gas!
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:10 PM   #75628
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post

Peng, this one? I don't know how you got it off. I think Suzuki used NASA RED Loctite on mine.
I can't believe someone actually was able to get that thing off. I started with a screwdriver- moved to the hand impact, moved up to the air impact, on up to the torch and air impact. At that point I decided it was there for good and I never need worry about it coming loose in an atomic blast. Decided I really didn't want it off anyway...
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #75629
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
I can't believe someone actually was able to get that thing off. I started with a screwdriver- moved to the hand impact, moved up to the air impact, on up to the torch and air impact. At that point I decided it was there for good and I never need worry about it coming loose in an atomic blast. Decided I really didn't want it off anyway...
Yeah, no reason to remove it anyway.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:02 PM   #75630
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by George 99 View Post
Not mine, just saw this on the street yesterdy, a 93 with 8,000+ miles, looks stone stock and clean. Price sez $2100. Anyone interested send me a PM and I'll get the phone # for ya. No personal interest.
Too expensive for the old model, evryone wants the '96 on DR nwer model with more aftermarket parts, I got a '96 with 10,000miles for $1900 gregg
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote