User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 07:35 AM   #75631
shu

Oddometer: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
It was the first thing I checked. It's clean, or at least it was last Sunday.

But I just remembered one more weird thing that happened on my ride on Monday: even though I filled the tank with fresh fuel in the morning, at about 150 km, the bike displayed all the symptoms of having run out of gas as the motor quit completely, and wouldn't fire up again until I hit reserve on my Pingle fuel tap.

And when I filled up, it only took 10 liters to fill my IMS tank so it was still half full.

So I think the next step is to check out the fuel tap.
...and the venting in the gas cap. Do you have the locking cap? The vent gets plugged in mine which at some point makes a vacuum in the tank and the float bowl won't fill fast enough to keep the motor happy.

(Procycle advises taking the cap apart and poking a hole with an icepick in the rubber piece.)

Originally Posted by procycle
The locking cap has a small rubber disk inside it that acts as a one way valve so fuel doesn't splash out through the internal vent. You can access the disk by removing the rubber gasket and unscrewing the green plastic piece inside the cap. Take a sharp pointed pick and poke a tiny hole in the disk and you will solve the venting issues. The hole should be barely more than a pinhole. If you make the hole too big you might have a small amount of fuel spillage in a tipover.

..............shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:55 AM   #75632
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRinCR View Post
Hi all

I have one of the old school models and have fount the book says DO NOT use lapping compound when seating the valves. The locals here find this strange and insist they seat them with lapping compound.

Can anyone shed light on this? Will it f*ck the whole deal if lapping compund is used?

Cheers
That book is written by the people who built the bike and the valves and valve seats,at least if its a factory manual.
On almost all newer 4 strokes the valves arent lapped in they are simply installed and checked for seal. If the old valve is worn down to a sharp edge then you gotta see what shape the valve seat is in.

Old school mechanics will want to lap the valves regardless of what the maker of said valves says. It wont hurt but they dont need it.
They are so hard not much will happen lapping them.
I put new valves in my 01 DRZe a while ago,the old ones still looked good,new valves were 26.00 each so for the heck of it new ones were installed,they sealed perfect with no lapping.

DRZ/DR valves are simple steel valves,on newer tricker 4 strokes they have hard coatings/titanium valves maybe that cost 100's of dollars.
1 or two adjustments and they are toast,the hard coating is worn through and its time to replace them.

DR's valves last a long time and are simple good quality valves.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #75633
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor
So, my poor DR has sat in the garage all winter. It'll start, then die after about three seconds. Used fuel stabilizer when I put it to bed. Ideas?
Lyle
Don't let it sit all winter without starting it? In all seriousness, I use fuel stabilizer (or race gas) and simply start the bike every second or third weekend thru the winter. Let it run for 5-10 minutes (to generate some temperature) and then shut it off. I've never had any trouble come Spring.

Your issue might be a partially clogged pilot jet.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #75634
Archery720
n00b

Oddometer: 1

Just stopping in to say hello. Name is Andy, I just bought a 2005 DR650 and been surfing through this thread, picking up tips and tricks. I have had KLR 250's prior to this DR. I have only rode about 1/4 mile due to weather and waiting on gasket to fix my screwup, but that 1/4 mile was awesome! Look forward to getting to know all of you.
Archery720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:51 AM   #75635
wee-twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Welcome Andy. When you click on thumpers at the top there is a stick: bike specific, click on that and then go to dr650. Tons on info.

Bill
wee-twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #75636
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
...and the venting in the gas cap. Do you have the locking cap? The vent gets plugged in mine which at some point makes a vacuum in the tank and the float bowl won't fill fast enough to keep the motor happy.

(Procycle advises taking the cap apart and poking a hole with an icepick in the rubber piece.)

Originally Posted by procycle
The locking cap has a small rubber disk inside it that acts as a one way valve so fuel doesn't splash out through the internal vent. You can access the disk by removing the rubber gasket and unscrewing the green plastic piece inside the cap. Take a sharp pointed pick and poke a tiny hole in the disk and you will solve the venting issues. The hole should be barely more than a pinhole. If you make the hole too big you might have a small amount of fuel spillage in a tipover.

..............shu
I had the locking cap until last Fall when the gasket started leaking, so I put a standard IMS cap on it. The tap flows at a verified 500 ml per 15 seconds, so it's not the tap itself at fault. I'm thinking it could possibly be the fuel line being constricted since the carb still has the inlet pipe going straight up, so the line is fairly short from the Pingel tap to the carb, and has a nasty twist which could be restricting the flow.

I'm going to try to make that line up better but the last time I attempted to turn the inlet pipe, it failed to move no matter what I tried.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:11 AM   #75637
Minsk99
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
I had the locking cap until last Fall when the gasket started leaking, so I put a standard IMS cap on it. The tap flows at a verified 500 ml per 15 seconds, so it's not the tap itself at fault. I'm thinking it could possibly be the fuel line being constricted since the carb still has the inlet pipe going straight up, so the line is fairly short from the Pingel tap to the carb, and has a nasty twist which could be restricting the flow.

I'm going to try to make that line up better but the last time I attempted to turn the inlet pipe, it failed to move no matter what I tried.
Did you instal an inline fuel filter between the Pingel and the inlet pipe? Might want to check to see if it needs replacing.
Minsk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #75638
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
I'm thinking it could possibly be the fuel line being constricted since the carb still has the inlet pipe going straight up, so the line is fairly short from the Pingel tap to the carb, and has a nasty twist which could be restricting the flow.

Would you mind posting a photo of that nasty twist, just for the curious? Be sure to understand, the Monday morning quarterbacks are probably going to question your routing; even though you had no choice in the alignment.

My Acerbis 5.3 passed the first 'run it until completely empty' test. But adding the gallon I had, wouldn't flow thru(sic) the uphill bend. I had trouble getting it restarted. This was my first exposure to the situation, next time I'll use the fuel enrichment immediately (hi Derek ) (it was completely warmed up and I thought it would fire right up). Yes, the petcock was set to PRI while I put my helmet and gloves back on to refill the float bowl.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #75639
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayno View Post
Wings on skid plate to close to oil filter housing and to close on oppisite side also...has this been addressed anywher in this forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
I just bent my skid plate out a bit. Been that way for over 3 years now.
Tks for the answer, any other opinions
"Never wrestle with a pig. You just get dirty, and the pig likes it. George Bernard Shaw
wayno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #75640
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,209
Quote:
I'm thinking it could possibly be the fuel line being constricted since the carb still has the inlet pipe going straight up, so the line is fairly short from the Pingel tap to the carb, and has a nasty twist which could be restricting the flow.

I occasionally have the exact same symptoms on my '05 DR with an IMS tank. I have the old, original IMS petcock that has the fuel outlet pointed forward instead of back toward the carb. Because of this, I run the fuel line upward and then back to the carb, so some of the fuel line runs above both the petcock outlet and carb inlet. After sitting for a while with the petcock off, sometimes an air "bubble" will develop in the fuel line and the weight of the gas above the petcock intake is not heavy enough to push out the air "bubble" and there is not enough gas in the line to syphon gas through the fuel line into the carb. The bubble could be from fuel boiling after shutting down the bike when it it very hot or maybe even a leaking float valve or maybe just from a lot of time? When that happens and I start the bike, it will run long enough to drain whatever is in the fuel bowl and then stumble like it is running out of gas, just like you are experiencing. When this happens, I just hold the fuel line down below the petcock and carb for a couple seconds to make sure the fuel line completely fills with gas and it works perfectly again until I let the bike sit unused for too long. This only happens a couple times a year, so it is not a big enough problem for me to buy a new petcock and correctly route the fuel line. So, check to see if the fuel line is routed above the petcock outlet and carb inlet. If so, that may be your problem...

One of these years I'll replace that silly IMS petcock with one that points the right way and fix it for good, but at least I know what happens if the engine ever starts sputtering and can fix it in 10 seconds...

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?

FatChance screwed with this post 04-10-2013 at 01:33 PM
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:16 PM   #75641
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayno View Post
Tks for the answer, any other opinions
Is the skid plate made for the DR, or another bike? Can you post pics of both sides?

Quote:
Old 04-10-2013, 02:02 PM   #75642
warp9man
Gravel in my Travel

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB650 View Post
Did some searching and can't seem to find a real answer so I was hoping some others could give me a hand. I installed emulators and new springs in my forks and I now notice a clunking when holding the front brake and rocking the bike back and forth. At first I thought perhaps the steering head bearings might be loose but I don't think that is it. If I put the front wheel against the wall and push up and down the fork will stroke nice and quiet. It seems like the noise is coming from slight front caliper movement and maybe I just never noticed before. Just curious if any others notice this sound. Really appreciate any assistance with this so I can stop pulling things apart trying to find it. Thanks.
Hey JB650, chances are good its the front rotor thats knocking on you. the dr650 has a 2 peice front rotor and the rivets that join the inner and out plates wear just slightly and youll feel the knock/play when you grab the brakes. your in no danger unless its really bad its just annoying.

ride safe
warp9man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:22 PM   #75643
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Would you mind posting a photo of that nasty twist, just for the curious? Be sure to understand, the Monday morning quarterbacks are probably going to question your routing; even though you had no choice in the alignment.

It's not pretty, but this is what I put on it this afternoon. Some clear line which loops around and back to the carb. I have the line tied to the fuel tap so it doesn't melt on the engine. This is more of an experiment than a finished setup. I hate looped lines, but I couldn't see any other way to do it right now. For the moment, there's no filter in the line, aside from the one on the Pingle tap inlet.

I rode about 30 km and the bike didn't hiccup even once, so that's a good sign.

I also put new spark plugs in and blew all the passageways out of the carb so it's hard to tell which change is responsible.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #75644
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
It's not pretty, but this is what I put on it this afternoon. Some clear line which loops around and back to the carb. I have the line tied to the fuel tap so it doesn't melt on the engine. This is more of an experiment than a finished setup. I hate looped lines, but I couldn't see any other way to do it right now. For the moment, there's no filter in the line, aside from the one on the Pingle tap inlet.

I rode about 30 km and the bike didn't hiccup even once, so that's a good sign.

I also put new spark plugs in and blew all the passageways out of the carb so it's hard to tell which change is responsible.
Thanks for the photo.

You might notice an air bubble in the high spot but that doesn't mean fuel won't flow. I used clear filters on my dirt bikes (long ago), and they always had an air bubble. It made me knutz.

It looks like the IMS petcock is about 1-1/2" farther back than the Acerbis. Kudos for experimenting. My retirement buddy will starve to death before trying anything new or different. Narrow minded old fuddy. That's why I asked for the pic, always looking for new ideas, whether I use them or not.

Quote:
Old 04-10-2013, 03:32 PM   #75645
Graniteone
3,2,1...Beer me!

Oddometer: 419
I picked up a 2008 earlier this week.

Here is what I have on order already. What else should I get? I want a good all a rounder. Desert, mountains, some touring. Carb up grade? Pipes? I felt like suspension needed the most attention right away.

Stock Body Rebuild w/Cogent SSA-Stock DR Shock Body Rebuilt with Cogent Shock Shaft Assembly
7.5 Rear Spring
CNC Collar and Thrust Bearing
RSW Fork Brace
Oil Filter Magnet
Acerbis 5.3 Gal. Tank - White
Front Signal Relocation Kit
1 Inch Handlebar Risers
Clymer Manual DR650
Graniteone is offline   Reply With Quote