Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #75646
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,672
speaking of IMS tank with gravity-feed fuel valves: one positive thing I learnt is that, at least on the IMS rigs of last 4 years or so, the cap fits tightly enough that if you have a good fitting vent hose on it, the whole thing will hold pressure. I found that when I got the 'air bubble' fuel flow restriction that many of you have experienced, if you blow in that hose and hold pressure with a thumb or finger, it will start. trust me. I've been 'stranded' in several spots and had this happen, check the tank and there wwas fuel in it but not enough pressure. did this, turned the starter over and let it spin a couple seconds and she fired up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
It was the first thing I checked. It's clean, or at least it was last Sunday.

But I just remembered one more weird thing that happened on my ride on Monday: even though I filled the tank with fresh fuel in the morning, at about 150 km, the bike displayed all the symptoms of having run out of gas as the motor quit completely, and wouldn't fire up again until I hit reserve on my Pingle fuel tap.

And when I filled up, it only took 10 liters to fill my IMS tank so it was still half full.

So I think the next step is to check out the fuel tap.
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #75647
JB650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by warp9man View Post
Hey JB650, chances are good its the front rotor thats knocking on you. the dr650 has a 2 peice front rotor and the rivets that join the inner and out plates wear just slightly and youll feel the knock/play when you grab the brakes. your in no danger unless its really bad its just annoying.

ride safe

Thanks warp9man. I have been looking at it and it is definitely the brake. Caliper or rotor. With the wheel against the wall the forks stroke real nice and smooth with no noise. I can feel it in the brake caliper also when holding the front brake. So I'm going to just ignore it. Was hoping to ride soon but 30 degrees and freezing rain. Nothing like a big old ice storm in April. Thanks for the response warp9man.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming – “WOW – What a Ride!” -Anon.
JB650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #75648
Krusty ...
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graniteone View Post
I picked up a 2008 earlier this week.

Here is what I have on order already. What else should I get? I want a good all a rounder. Desert, mountains, some touring. Carb up grade? Pipes? I felt like suspension needed the most attention right away.

Stock Body Rebuild w/Cogent SSA-Stock DR Shock Body Rebuilt with Cogent Shock Shaft Assembly
7.5 Rear Spring
CNC Collar and Thrust Bearing
RSW Fork Brace
Oil Filter Magnet
Acerbis 5.3 Gal. Tank - White
Front Signal Relocation Kit
1 Inch Handlebar Risers
Clymer Manual DR650
Fork braces get mixed reviews. Most find the front fork springs way too soft, and swap springs, then add emulators from RaceTech or Ricor Intiminators.

Have you done any distance yet? Very often the stock seat is the first thing upgraded. Just be careful when you fling that Suzuki seat away, not to hit anyone with it. The edges are sharp!
Old 04-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #75649
Graniteone
3,2,1...Beer me!

Oddometer: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty ... View Post
Fork braces get mixed reviews. Most find the front fork springs way too soft, and swap springs, then add emulators from RaceTech or Ricor Intiminators.

Have you done any distance yet? Very often the stock seat is the first thing upgraded. Just be careful when you fling that Suzuki seat away, not to hit anyone with it. The edges are sharp!
This bike came with a Sargent seat and the stock seat. I think a fork brace makes sense. We shall see.
Graniteone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:35 PM   #75650
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Thanks for the photo.

You might notice an air bubble in the high spot but that doesn't mean fuel won't flow. I used clear filters on my dirt bikes (long ago), and they always had an air bubble. It made me knutz.

It looks like the IMS petcock is about 1-1/2" farther back than the Acerbis. Kudos for experimenting. My retirement buddy will starve to death before trying anything new or different. Narrow minded old fuddy. That's why I asked for the pic, always looking for new ideas, whether I use them or not.
Yeah, it's all really tight in there with the fittings in their current positions. I think I'm going to look for a couple of elbows to make two short lengths of hose and a filter fit in the space and have as clear a run as possible.

One of these, perhaps:

And one of these, too.

Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:59 PM   #75651
FastEddie454
n00b

Oddometer: 1
New 2013 DR650

Hey everyone, long time reader of advrider first time poster. Well I did my shopping around for about a year or so while I rode my old beat up drz400. sold it and finally bought a New 2013 DR650 last saturday. I absolutely love it, it is everything I expected and I got a killer deal. Just installed the tail tidy kit from procycle and new gun metal skid plate from procycle, looks awsome. Also got some case savers to put on. I appreciate all the great advice I have read on this forum it helped me decide which bike to go with. I look forward to posting some awsome ride pictures once I get her broken in and I can start letting loose. I would post a picture of it with the new skid plate etc. but I'm not sure how. You have to have a photobucket account or the likes?
FastEddie454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #75652
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,538
Quote:

It's not pretty, but this is what I put on it this afternoon. Some clear line which loops around and back to the carb. I have the line tied to the fuel tap so it doesn't melt on the engine. This is more of an experiment than a finished setup. I hate looped lines, but I couldn't see any other way to do it right now. For the moment, there's no filter in the line, aside from the one on the Pingle tap inlet.

I rode about 30 km and the bike didn't hiccup even once, so that's a good sign.

I also put new spark plugs in and blew all the passageways out of the carb so it's hard to tell which change is responsible.
A straight line is a PITA so will try ur way thanks
"Never wrestle with a pig. You just get dirty, and the pig likes it.” George Bernard Shaw
wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #75653
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,538
Quote:
Is the skid plate made for the DR, or another bike? Can you post pics of both sides?
Yes made for DR650...

"Never wrestle with a pig. You just get dirty, and the pig likes it.” George Bernard Shaw
wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:27 PM   #75654
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,115
FastEddy - congrats and welcome aboard! Ride it a bit and figure out if there's anything you want to change. It's nice to get something new for yourself once in a while.

Graniteone - sounds like some personalizing. Very nice. As mentioned, get a feel for the front end and keep the upgrades in mind. The shock changes may affect the way the front works for you.

Wayno - looks fine IMO. Mine is closer than that - I have the AMP guard on there too. I'd rather have it closer than further away. Plenty of protection and not sticking out there to take a bite outta me while I ride it into the ground.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:34 PM   #75655
vicster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,012
Quote:

It's not pretty, but this is what I put on it this afternoon. Some clear line which loops around and back to the carb. I have the line tied to the fuel tap so it doesn't melt on the engine. This is more of an experiment than a finished setup. I hate looped lines, but I couldn't see any other way to do it right now. For the moment, there's no filter in the line, aside from the one on the Pingle tap inlet.

I rode about 30 km and the bike didn't hiccup even once, so that's a good sign.

I also put new spark plugs in and blew all the passageways out of the carb so it's hard to tell which change is responsible.
What I did was remove the stock carb nipple and replaced it with a straight one so I could just run the fuel line straight to the carb. And for a filter I just use the stock one. Oh the horror! But it's dead easy to check and clean with my arrangement.
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:58 PM   #75656
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicster View Post
What I did was remove the stock carb nipple and replaced it with a straight one so I could just run the fuel line straight to the carb. And for a filter I just use the stock one. Oh the horror! But it's dead easy to check and clean with my arrangement.
Did the stock filter fit properly in your straight nipple? Did you drill and/or tap the carb for something like this? How did you get the stock one out?

"Oh the horror", I'm still running mine too.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:05 PM   #75657
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,317
I have been using a clear pancake style fuel filter with my IMS and FCR. The fuel line spring (hose support)as been install on the elbow portion.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:16 PM   #75658
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
And one of these, too.

That's a really good photo of the flow direction through the 90* filter. That is just NOT the way my mind sees that filter working. (I would look for the arrow though) I wish they'd put (or make available) a 5/16" nipple on them (8mm), which is the stock nipple at both the petcock and carb. 1/4" works but................ I don't like it.

Have you looked at this thread? There are some good ideas there.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=635647

Quote:
Old 04-10-2013, 10:37 PM   #75659
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,273
Quote:
Did the stock filter fit properly in your straight nipple? Did you drill and/or tap the carb for something like this? How did you get the stock one out?

"Oh the horror", I'm still running mine too.
When I did mine,

, I tried to turn the stock intake pipe but felt too much force was needed. I cut it off and tapped a thread into the steel tube left, a straight metric thread, and then the BSP tapered fitting from the plumbing shop was recut with the same thread to remove the taper and match the thread. Assembled with Loctite Master Gasket and it worked fine with no leaks.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:56 PM   #75660
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for another idea.

Your description flashed me back many years. I had a small 12 gallon air compressor and wanted a little more capacity. I had a cylinder about the size of a 20 pound propane bottle, but the threads were different than the pipe threads on the air chuck I wanted to use. What the heck, I was young and dumb (I miss the young part, but I've gotten used to the dumb part ), so I epoxied the nipple into the bottle (the threads were a snug fit, but they wouldn't hold air; so pressure wasn't going to shoot the air chuck through my forehead ). I still use that bottle as a portable air supply. Disclaimer: if someone blows themselves up; blame Darwin not me.

Quote: