Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 12:06 PM   #75691
3DChief
"Moto therapist"

Oddometer: 411
You are not bending it, you are rotating it. The fuel inlet on the carb is a pressed fitting. Use a big crescent wrench to support the full length of the inlet and rotate it 90 degrees. I recommend rotating it to the 3 o'clock position instead because it allows space for the inline filter, reduces the tight turns in the fuel line, and gives you a nice gentle downward slope on the line to prevent issues with bubbles or the line being above the petcock. I tried stock position and 9 o'clock position and had issues with routing the line with both. 3 o'clock eliminates all these problems and just works better for me.

Tim
3DChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #75692
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graniteone View Post
I picked up a 2008 earlier this week.

Here is what I have on order already. What else should I get? I want a good all a rounder. Desert, mountains, some touring. Carb up grade? Pipes? I felt like suspension needed the most attention right away.

Stock Body Rebuild w/Cogent SSA-Stock DR Shock Body Rebuilt with Cogent Shock Shaft Assembly
7.5 Rear Spring
CNC Collar and Thrust Bearing
RSW Fork Brace
Oil Filter Magnet
Acerbis 5.3 Gal. Tank - White
Front Signal Relocation Kit
1 Inch Handlebar Risers
Clymer Manual DR650
Ride it and figure out what YOU want most. Protect it with a skid, real handguards, and maybe sidecase covers. Check out the DR650 wiki page for the common "fixes", like the NSU screws, the safety switches, and the upper chain-roller. Specialized tools, like for checking/adjusting valves and for changing tires, can be handy.

A lot of people really can't stand the stock seat, but it was tolerable for me. A lot of people like running a knobby front and a long-wearing rear DS tire. I like swapping between 14/42 and 15/42 sprockets, and I also use Procycle's CS seal retainer. Many people also improve on the stock carb, with either a jet kit or a swapped-in flat-slide pumper carb. I also like being able to put luggage on the bike.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #75693
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
I must be missing something here,I put an IMS tank on my DR 26,000 miles ago and have never given it a thought,I hooked up a fuel line. The bike goes till it hits reserve,then I run it on reserve awhile.
Then I put gas in it.
No special routing of fuel lines,no bubbles,no troubles.

Why is my DR so boring to maintain? I never fix anything on it.

The tank and gas supply is well above the fuel tap in the carb,gas will run into the carb. Gravity says so.
Mine has not had any probs either...just don't like the way it does that tight bend off the Pingel
RIDE SAFE
May as well Laugh
wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #75694
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,896
Quote:

The tank and gas supply is well above the fuel tap in the carb,gas will run into the carb. Gravity says so.
But sometimes friction says NO!
Old 04-11-2013, 04:29 PM   #75695
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,743
Quote:
I must be missing something here,I put an IMS tank on my DR 26,000 miles ago and have never given it a thought,I hooked up a fuel line. The bike goes till it hits reserve,then I run it on reserve awhile.
Then I put gas in it.
No special routing of fuel lines,no bubbles,no troubles.

Why is my DR so boring to maintain? I never fix anything on it.

Put a straw into a glass of liquid. Put your finger over the end of the straw. Lift the straw out of the liquid. The liquid stays in the straw.
It doesn't happen in all installations; like yours and Eakins'. But it does happen in some.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #75696
disconnected
ultra runner

Oddometer: 6,501
Thought I would share my DR from todays ride. I bought it bone stock in the fall from a Harley Guy who bought it and never used it. I have modified it to exactly what I need.

Acerbis 5.3, Pro Taper EVO high, Pro Taper Adaptor, Michilin t63 Tires, Ricor Intiminaotrs valves, Race Tech Springs, Pro Cycle rear spring, Acerbis Front Fender, Dirt Bagz Racks, Suzuki Tail Bag, Nomad Racks rear luggage plate, Garmin-Hard Wired, BMW OEM Dakar Screen

Old 04-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #75697
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
But sometimes friction says NO!
Heh,Heh.......and then there's the dreaded OZ effect where liquid spins a different direction all the time,and probably many other things Im not able to think of.

Its beyond beer thirty here
Old 04-11-2013, 05:21 PM   #75698
stretch160
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
just in case Y'all forgot what a stock DR looks like, I just bought this new to me 2009. Completely stock, so far...

stretch160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #75699
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DChief View Post
You are not bending it, you are rotating it. The fuel inlet on the carb is a pressed fitting. Use a big crescent wrench to support the full length of the inlet and rotate it 90 degrees. I recommend rotating it to the 3 o'clock position instead because it allows space for the inline filter, reduces the tight turns in the fuel line, and gives you a nice gentle downward slope on the line to prevent issues with bubbles or the line being above the petcock. I tried stock position and 9 o'clock position and had issues with routing the line with both. 3 o'clock eliminates all these problems and just works better for me.

That looks really good, turned around that way. I just can't get the stock angles to work out on my bike, with my IMS tank and Pingle tap so since tomorrow is going to be a write-off, weather-wise, I think I'll try to rotate the carb fitting. Tried it once before and failed, but how hard can it be?
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:48 PM   #75700
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmbeedee View Post
that looks really good, turned around that way. I just can't get the stock angles to work out on my bike, with my ims tank and pingle tap so since tomorrow is going to be a write-off, weather-wise, i think i'll try to rotate the carb fitting. Tried it once before and failed, but how hard can it be?
This was from DRRiders:
Quote:
Another poster: .......TWICE with the bubble/lock after my riding buddies had to mooch gas off my Acerbis. I think you have it pegged correctly with the head pressure, not to mention also that the engine was shut down to save gas as we made sure we were on the correct trail back to human-kind.
So, afterwards, bent (rotated) the inake to make a straight shot. I think if I had kept the bike bouncing along the trail it would not have been an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by er70s-2 View Post
Since this may be in my future: How? Did you do it on the bike with a rag and channel locks, or did you remove the carb, clamp the intake in a vise (padded?) and twist the carb? Did you gently apply twist, or did you twist it quickly like pulling off a band-aid?
Quote:
Another poster: I sandwiched the tube with two 1/8" thick small alum' chunks about an 1" + long, clamped it with a crescent wrench, THEN gripped that wrench's handle with a SECOND 10" wrench, and cranked. Hmmmm, only goes a quarter of the way. That was cold.

So, now slightly offended by the failure of this 'brilliant on-bike method. . . . I got the heat-gun out and gave the carb a healthy dose of heat (about like a freaking-hot slow trail day). ..and VIOLA ! ! Turned down like buttah'.

You only have about ten seconds to wrench after stopping the heat, so don't dally. Have it all set up & holding with the other hand. Of course, ahhhh, I don't suggest you do this. I wouldn't do this. No way. I must have taken the carb off. Yeah, that's what I did. Yeah.

edit: If I WERE to have done this, I WOULD have done it quick & snappy.
YMMV, IMO yada yada yada

Quote:
Old 04-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #75701
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
That looks really good, turned around that way. I just can't get the stock angles to work out on my bike, with my IMS tank and Pingle tap so since tomorrow is going to be a write-off, weather-wise, I think I'll try to rotate the carb fitting. Tried it once before and failed, but how hard can it be?
I'd try inserting a phillips into the tube, as far in and as big around as will fit, then push the handle to turn it. I think that lessens any chance of deforming anything, YMMV
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000,, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, 1965 Bridgestone 90!
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #75702
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
This was from DRRiders:
YMMV, IMO yada yada yada
Thanks, it helps to read what others have done. I actually did use heat last time I tried, but it made no difference then.

I'm worried the carb might explode from fuel vapours, though.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:06 PM   #75703
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDY View Post
EmmBeeDee, Did you check the vent in your gas cap? I've had the same symptoms when I used a handlebar mounted bag that pinched the gas cap vent hose. I had to keep lifting the bag every few km to let air in the tank.
Hey Terry.

I am using a new IMS cap because my locking cap leaks around the gasket. No venting problem in this setup. My Wolfman Enduro tank bag is a lot farther back than yours.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #75704
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Thanks, it helps to read what others have done. I actually did use heat last time I tried, but it made no difference then.

I'm worried the carb might explode from fuel vapours, though.
Yep, I'd want the carb off, apart and aired out. They do get pretty hot when summer riding. Hmmmmm, I have an infared thermometer; maybe I'll see how hot it gets later this summer.

There is a difference between a propane torch and an electric heat gun.

Quote:
Old 04-11-2013, 07:23 PM   #75705
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Yep, I'd want the carb off, apart and aired out. They do get pretty hot when summer riding. Hmmmmm, I have an infared thermometer; maybe I'll see how hot it gets later this summer.

There is a difference between a propane torch and an electric heat gun.
A heat gun was going to be the weapon of choice. But I'd hate to turn it into a flamethrower.