Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 07:06 AM   #75691
Carl Childers
Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch160 View Post
just in case Y'all forgot what a stock DR looks like, I just bought this new to me 2009. Completely stock, so far...

I do tend to forget how nice looking and versatile a stock DR is. If I had a few extra $$'s I'd love to find one like yours to add to the stable, it'd be the one I'd grab for that trip to town or a quick run up a fire road.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:48 AM   #75692
mattomachu
n00b

Oddometer: 8
DR650 Magneto bolt...right or left hand threads?

Just bought a 2003 DR650 It has 6000 miles on the dial. It wasn't running when I bought it last week. I put a new battery in and it fired up. I don't think the valves have been adjusted since the first owner. This is where the chaos begins. The small cover on the left side with the allen key was stripped into a complete circle. I tried to use a chisel and it wouldn't budge. I ended up taking the entire side cover off. I then drilled the little cover and installed some bolts to to jimmy the thing off. Finally got the thing off, but in the process the starter clutch gears came out and the two washers fell out. I tried to catch them, but they eventually slid down in the bottom of the engine. So I don't think it's a good idea to leave them down near the oil drain...I tried to use a few different things to no avail to try to get them out.
If I remove the magneto I'm almost positive that I can use a small pick to retrieve them. Has anyone else had to deal with this chaos? Which direction are the threads on the initial 17mm nut? I tried both directions w/o a budge. Anyone have a lead on a magneto puller? I'll pay for shipping both ways...
mattomachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:15 AM   #75693
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
Does anybody have the Jesse's midpipe for a Hayabusa muffler that they're looking to sell? Standard header size
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:02 AM   #75694
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,333
Try kientech or Two brother's wesite
Old 04-12-2013, 09:09 AM   #75695
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by barko1 View Post
I'd try inserting a phillips into the tube, as far in and as big around as will fit, then push the handle to turn it. I think that lessens any chance of deforming anything, YMMV
I was looking around for something which would fit nicely in there when I thought I'd give one last try to getting a hose to fit without all that unpleasant carb removal/heating/twisting/swearing/breaking/cursing/searching for another carb which would have been inevitable, considering my luck so far this week...

So I think I'm finally happy with this:

I think the most important part with making this line work is to not have the hose too long. When I first tried it, the bend at the top of the carb connection was quite tight, and it was solely because the hose was too long and needed to make more of a tight curve to go back down towards the Pingel.

The hose I ended up with is probably only 3" long, but it has no tight bends.

Yay!
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #75696
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattomachu View Post
Just bought a 2003 DR650 It has 6000 miles on the dial. It wasn't running when I bought it last week. I put a new battery in and it fired up. I don't think the valves have been adjusted since the first owner. This is where the chaos begins. The small cover on the left side with the allen key was stripped into a complete circle. I tried to use a chisel and it wouldn't budge. I ended up taking the entire side cover off. I then drilled the little cover and installed some bolts to to jimmy the thing off. Finally got the thing off, but in the process the starter clutch gears came out and the two washers fell out. I tried to catch them, but they eventually slid down in the bottom of the engine. So I don't think it's a good idea to leave them down near the oil drain...I tried to use a few different things to no avail to try to get them out.
If I remove the magneto I'm almost positive that I can use a small pick to retrieve them. Has anyone else had to deal with this chaos? Which direction are the threads on the initial 17mm nut? I tried both directions w/o a budge. Anyone have a lead on a magneto puller? I'll pay for shipping both ways...
Yeah, people just love to tighten that plug to the point it can't be removed. There's an o-ring there. It just needs to be snug. It doesn't have to be tightened down like the drain plug on your grandfather's '49 Ford. Mine was like yours when I got it but I was able to remove it with a hammer and punch.

FWIW, while it makes the task easier, it is possible to adjust the valves without removing that plug. It's a single cylinder engine after all. You only have to find TDC once.

Good luck fishing out the parts. If it were mine, I'd try using a magnet attached to a flexible wire.
thump! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #75697
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,207
Tanks and carbs

I have an Acerbis tank and a FCR on my bike. I can run my bike to literally dry and have to push it. How do I know? As I was trying to test how far I could go on a tank, and was on reserve not on (dumb ass that am I). Luckily i was able to lay the bike down to get the fuel to the left side, got another mile or so and it died about 100 yards from a gas station.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #75698
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,207
Tanks and carbs

I have an Acerbis tank and a FCR on my bike. I can run my bike to literally dry and have to push it. How do I know? As I was trying to test how far I could go on a tank, and was on reserve not on (dumb ass that am I). Luckily i was able to lay the bike down to get the fuel to the left side, got another mile or so and it died about 100 yards from a gas station.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #75699
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattomachu View Post
Just bought a 2003 DR650 It has 6000 miles on the dial. It wasn't running when I bought it last week. I put a new battery in and it fired up. I don't think the valves have been adjusted since the first owner. This is where the chaos begins. The small cover on the left side with the allen key was stripped into a complete circle. I tried to use a chisel and it wouldn't budge. I ended up taking the entire side cover off. I then drilled the little cover and installed some bolts to to jimmy the thing off.
It is always a good reminder to people to get their bike fully warmed up before trying to remove that plug. When the engine is warm, it comes out easily...

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #75700
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I was looking around for something which would fit nicely in there when I thought I'd give one last try to getting a hose to fit without all that unpleasant carb removal/heating/twisting/swearing/breaking/cursing/searching for another carb which would have been inevitable, considering my luck so far this week...

So I think I'm finally happy with this:

I think the most important part with making this line work is to not have the hose too long. When I first tried it, the bend at the top of the carb connection was quite tight, and it was solely because the hose was too long and needed to make more of a tight curve to go back down towards the Pingel.

The hose I ended up with is probably only 3" long, but it has no tight bends.

Yay!
That looks pretty damn good. And you were able to do it without turning the carb fitting.

Could you put that in Krusty's DR Index? It seems most other solutions are under "Fuel", not "Carb/Intake". (He lists tanks, petcocks and filters in the first post)
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=635647

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:15 AM   #75701
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
That looks pretty damn good. And you were able to do it without turning the carb fitting.

Could you put that in Krusty's DR Index? It seems most other solutions are under "Fuel", not "Carb/Intake". (He lists tanks, petcocks and filters in the first post)
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=635647
Be happy to add it...
Old 04-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #75702
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Be happy to add it...

Quote:
Old 04-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #75703
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
How does this look?
Old 04-12-2013, 11:32 AM   #75704
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

That worked so well for you that I'm going to shorten mine (a little at a time), if the weather warms for more than one day inna row. But right now, one day warm spells are for riding, like tomorrow.

Quote:
Old 04-12-2013, 11:42 AM   #75705
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:

That worked so well for you that I'm going to shorten mine (a little at a time), if the weather warms for more than one day inna row. But right now, one day warm spells are for riding, like tomorrow.
Isn't that what cold days are for? To work on the bike so you can ride on warm days? We don't have heat in the shed but short spells work ok. Then I come back in to warm up by the wood stove.