Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 09:05 PM   #75691
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,170
I have been using a clear pancake style fuel filter with my IMS and FCR. The fuel line spring (hose support)as been install on the elbow portion.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #75692
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
And one of these, too.

That's a really good photo of the flow direction through the 90* filter. That is just NOT the way my mind sees that filter working. (I would look for the arrow though) I wish they'd put (or make available) a 5/16" nipple on them (8mm), which is the stock nipple at both the petcock and carb. 1/4" works but................ I don't like it.

Have you looked at this thread? There are some good ideas there.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=635647

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #75693
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Did the stock filter fit properly in your straight nipple? Did you drill and/or tap the carb for something like this? How did you get the stock one out?

"Oh the horror", I'm still running mine too.
When I did mine,

, I tried to turn the stock intake pipe but felt too much force was needed. I cut it off and tapped a thread into the steel tube left, a straight metric thread, and then the BSP tapered fitting from the plumbing shop was recut with the same thread to remove the taper and match the thread. Assembled with Loctite Master Gasket and it worked fine with no leaks.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:56 PM   #75694
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,609
Thanks for another idea.

Your description flashed me back many years. I had a small 12 gallon air compressor and wanted a little more capacity. I had a cylinder about the size of a 20 pound propane bottle, but the threads were different than the pipe threads on the air chuck I wanted to use. What the heck, I was young and dumb (I miss the young part, but I've gotten used to the dumb part ), so I epoxied the nipple into the bottle (the threads were a snug fit, but they wouldn't hold air; so pressure wasn't going to shoot the air chuck through my forehead ). I still use that bottle as a portable air supply. Disclaimer: if someone blows themselves up; blame Darwin not me.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:59 PM   #75695
koth442
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
koth442 checking in, requesting prescription fill.

Picked up a 2009 DR650SE today, already set up very nicely for me

Looking for an extra set of hubs/wheels.
koth442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:43 AM   #75696
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,630
Pictures

Welcome to the forum! Yep, photobucket, smugmug, flicker, or some such. Congrats on the bike, we look forward to seeing your pictures.

Sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEddie454 View Post
Hey everyone, long time reader of advrider first time poster. Well I did my shopping around for about a year or so while I rode my old beat up drz400. sold it and finally bought a New 2013 DR650 last saturday. I absolutely love it, it is everything I expected and I got a killer deal. Just installed the tail tidy kit from procycle and new gun metal skid plate from procycle, looks awsome. Also got some case savers to put on. I appreciate all the great advice I have read on this forum it helped me decide which bike to go with. I look forward to posting some awsome ride pictures once I get her broken in and I can start letting loose. I would post a picture of it with the new skid plate etc. but I'm not sure how. You have to have a photobucket account or the likes?
Old 04-11-2013, 02:58 AM   #75697
kezzajohnson
kezza

Oddometer: 1,117
Quote:

It's not pretty, but this is what I put on it this afternoon. Some clear line which loops around and back to the carb. I have the line tied to the fuel tap so it doesn't melt on the engine.
Here's my setup. Never an issue. I haven't twisted the elbow on the carb and personally think it's unecessary. I've had no dramas with air locks or otherwise that some have talked about here, but I do have to lay the bike on its left side to get any fuel that is left from the right side of the IMS tank to the left side, but I seldom run my fuel down that low. Filter was an ebay one and has replaceable insert. I Totally ran my bike out of fuel once and the tank took 20.4 litres to refuel. I know the fuel pump was calibrated correctly - for the critics out there. IMS say it's 21 litre tank but my bike had 35000k on it by then and the tank had obviously stretched a bit with time and hot climate. (that was also after draining fuel from right side of tank to the left before running out completely)

The stock IMS vented cap is left to vent. You are asking for trouble by blocking it. Even the standard steel tank cap vents -you just can't see it.
Did I mention 'performance bits' ?... (just kidding)

"May the Road Never Rise to Defeat you..."

kezzajohnson screwed with this post 04-11-2013 at 03:29 AM
kezzajohnson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:09 AM   #75698
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzajohnson View Post

That looks ok to me. Thanks; I'll try that setup if I can't find a right angled filter today.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:21 AM   #75699
kezzajohnson
kezza

Oddometer: 1,117
fuel line

Quote:
That looks ok to me. Thanks; I'll try that setup if I can't find a right angled filter today.
no worries. The fuel line itself is a pretty clear purple colour and is standard fuel line bought from a bike shop. It;s vey snug and as you can see, I don't even use a clamp on it at the tap or the filter. It still takes some prising to get the line off when I want, so I am not worried about it slipping off at all.

By the way, with regards to fuel tank cap venting, I use the same fuel line and a valved vent of the end of it. Never a worry with getting shit in your tank or fuel spilling from the vent line.

Here's a piccy.

"May the Road Never Rise to Defeat you..."
kezzajohnson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:09 AM   #75700
Booze&Meat
Bar Crawler

Oddometer: 36
It's new purple bike day!

Just snagged this '97 Miami dream date off of craigslist. I named it Steve Winwood.

Anyway, ol' Steve's got this horrible aftermarket exhaust on it that makes it sound like some kind of Thunder Alley mess. Gives me a headache.

Went on eBay to dig around for an OEM and came across a few specimens, but they were listed as year specific - I was under the impression that these were relatively unchanged from '96. Is it possible to make an exhaust from a 2012 bike work on this one?
Booze&Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:52 AM   #75701
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booze&Meat View Post

Just snagged this '97 Miami dream date off of craigslist. I named it Steve Winwood.

Anyway, ol' Steve's got this horrible aftermarket exhaust on it that makes it sound like some kind of Thunder Alley mess. Gives me a headache.

Went on eBay to dig around for an OEM and came across a few specimens, but they were listed as year specific - I was under the impression that these were relatively unchanged from '96. Is it possible to make an exhaust from a 2012 bike work on this one?
Wow, nice find. Congrats!

AFAIK they are all the same.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:22 AM   #75702
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booze&Meat View Post

Enjoy!
RIDE SAFE
May as well Laugh
wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:32 AM   #75703
TDY
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Quote:
This bucking problem seems to be continuing. It doesn't happen immediately when I go for a ride but about 15 minutes in, it sounds like the engine is just shutting off momentarily, then it starts and continues, but eventually it gets so trying to keep a steady speed with the throttle only barely open, the thing judders and sputters really badly.

This is with fresh gas, and a cleaned float bowl.
EmmBeeDee, Did you check the vent in your gas cap? I've had the same symptoms when I used a handlebar mounted bag that pinched the gas cap vent hose. I had to keep lifting the bag every few km to let air in the tank.
'03 DERBI GPR50R (Every ride is a race)
TDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:59 AM   #75704
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
I occasionally have the exact same symptoms on my '05 DR with an IMS tank. I have the old, original IMS petcock that has the fuel outlet pointed forward instead of back toward the carb. Because of this, I run the fuel line upward and then back to the carb, so some of the fuel line runs above both the petcock outlet and carb inlet. After sitting for a while with the petcock off, sometimes an air "bubble" will develop in the fuel line and the weight of the gas above the petcock intake is not heavy enough to push out the air "bubble" and there is not enough gas in the line to syphon gas through the fuel line into the carb. The bubble could be from fuel boiling after shutting down the bike when it it very hot or maybe even a leaking float valve or maybe just from a lot of time? When that happens and I start the bike, it will run long enough to drain whatever is in the fuel bowl and then stumble like it is running out of gas, just like you are experiencing. When this happens, I just hold the fuel line down below the petcock and carb for a couple seconds to make sure the fuel line completely fills with gas and it works perfectly again until I let the bike sit unused for too long. This only happens a couple times a year, so it is not a big enough problem for me to buy a new petcock and correctly route the fuel line. So, check to see if the fuel line is routed above the petcock outlet and carb inlet. If so, that may be your problem...

One of these years I'll replace that silly IMS petcock with one that points the right way and fix it for good, but at least I know what happens if the engine ever starts sputtering and can fix it in 10 seconds...
I must be missing something here,I put an IMS tank on my DR 26,000 miles ago and have never given it a thought,I hooked up a fuel line. The bike goes till it hits reserve,then I run it on reserve awhile.
Then I put gas in it.
No special routing of fuel lines,no bubbles,no troubles.

Why is my DR so boring to maintain? I never fix anything on it.

The tank and gas supply is well above the fuel tap in the carb,gas will run into the carb. Gravity says so.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #75705
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,838
Acerbis tank and petcock with OEM carb fuel line routing. No issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote