Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #75736
mattomachu
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt Toast View Post
matto,

Taking the right cover off and seeing if you can fish it would seem possible to me, but I'm not sure. It would be easy to try, though. If you search some pics on here about the NSU switch, you can see some openings that may give access to magnet/fish something out of the other side. I have some spare engine parts at home I could look at later and see if it would be possible.

Also, take a look at some of these cases on ebay and it may help you see if you have access.

Oil residue may make the washer stick somewhere. Are you absolutely sure it went through that hole?

You might could take the right cover off, lay the bike on the right side, and flush it out with some diesel fuel through the left...dunno.
Yah I'm sure the washer went down. It was stuck on the top behind the mag for a while. I was using a metal pic to try to work it up and it slipped down. I heard it hit and thought that it was going to be sitting right behind the bottom of the mag. That's when I saw the slot that it had slipped into. If you get a chance to check out your extra parts you have and see if those holes continue onto the other side would be extremely helpful. I'm west coast so I have a few more hours until I get out of work and start wrenching again. I'm thinking the right side cover, but would hate to take that cover off and screw something up on that side also. All this for a simple valve adjustment job.
mattomachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:42 PM   #75737
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado CJ View Post
My DR is ready for some long distance summer riding!

I got my tank in from justgastanks.com and installed it. Put on some new Shinko 705's and finished up my side pannier racks. I made the racks from some 3/4" electrical conduit tubing. They won't be holding a lot of weight, they are mostly there to keep my saddlebags from hitting the sides of my bike.

I should be riding it either up to Grand Mesa or down to The Great Sand Dunes in a few weeks.

dr650 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr
How did you get your panels that color? I've been messing around with plastidip cause I'm bored lol. Is that it?
The Lost Texan, Wanders East
Tex76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:46 PM   #75738
mattomachu
n00b

TrophyHunter, I'm going to triple check the bottom of the mag tonight. Then I'm going to pop the right side off and go fishing with my magnet. It looks straight forward. Is there anything that I need to worry about falling out? Gears, springs, etc..
Old 04-12-2013, 01:46 PM   #75739
Colorado CJ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex76 View Post
How did you get your panels that color? I've been messing around with plastidip cause I'm bored lol. Is that it?
Krylon Fusion paint. It is made to chemically bond to plastic. Works great and is tough once it fully hardens (7 days).

'09 DL650
'06 DR650
Colorado CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:47 PM   #75740
Colorado CJ
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
CJ - clean, straight forward. Nicely done. I'd toss a skid plate on there if it'll see off road duty at all. Good job on the side racks.
Thanks. Yeah, I need to get a skidplate. I've already taken it on some pretty gnarly 4WD mountain trails over the couple of years I've owned it. Probably 500 off road miles on it so far.

Just need to sit down and order one.

'09 DL650
'06 DR650
Old 04-12-2013, 03:26 PM   #75741
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,275
CJ- Really like the looks of it!

And, that has to be one of the nicest/clearest photos of a DR I've seen. Super model photography for a DR... I can die happy now!

Edit: Loveland still a hidden secret or has it been taken over? I used to go there 20 years ago from PA just to buy barrel racing horses. Loved that place. Kind of place you dreamed of retiring to!
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:40 PM   #75742
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post

And, that has to be one of the nicest/clearest photos of a DR I've seen. Super model photography for a DR... I can die happy now!

Edit: Loveland still a hidden secret or has it been taken over? I used to go there 20 years ago from PA just to buy barrel racing horses. Loved that place. Kind of place you dreamed of retiring to!
Sounds like it's been taken over...

The city is south of Fort Collins, its larger neighbor and the county seat. The two cities have been steadily growing towards each other over the last several decades and are considered to be a single metropolitan area by the U.S. government.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:09 PM   #75743
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,002
I have a newish left over K60 from my F800 but it's a 140. Anyone know if a 140 can be shoe horned in on the DR or is it too wide ?

Frank

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"

DockingPilot screwed with this post 04-12-2013 at 04:44 PM
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:40 PM   #75744
Colorado CJ
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post

Thanks. My other hobby is photography. I didn't spend any time on this one though, just a quick snap out in my yard at my shop with my D600.

I am going to ride up into the mountains tomorrow, so I should get some better photos there

Loveland is turning into a pretty large town. I think we have something like 65,000 people here now. They've also built a large shopping area out by the interstate which is bringing more and more people here. It is the shopping location for much of northern Colorado and southern Wyoming now.

It is kind of a win/lose situation. There is more work, so that is good for the economy, but there is A LOT more people, so there is actually traffic here now and there are more homes being built. Loveland is really loosing its small town feel

'09 DL650
'06 DR650
Old 04-12-2013, 04:45 PM   #75745
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Most Staintune have a "quiet insert" of some sort. Two drawbacks with the Staintune:
1. Cost
2. Weight

Staintune quality is excellent but they are heavy beasts. They also transmit A LOT of heat, unlike Titanium, Carbon Fiber (both run cooler). The Staintune MUST be clear of soft bags or you'll get a fire.

The FMF, IMHO, is junk. They are light but not well made and don't last.
The Q4 model is still quite loud ... and still requires re-packing, which is a PITA.

So what are you left with?
Most on this thread figured it out years ago. The best choice is to find a nice GSXR Ti muffler, buy the mid pipe from Jesse and your done. The stock Suzuki Ti pipe is world class quality, will last forever. No repacking.
Quiet and quite light weight. Yes, the FMF is a couple lbs. lighter but not even close in quality. I paid $50 usd for my GSXR pipe. They come up for sale and are generally more now due to demand. Totally worth it. Buy one.
Yes, I've been looking around for a GSXR slip on but haven't really discovered any (I'm not that sure what I'm looking for either, apart from searching for "GSXR muffler" on eBay: like this one: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5378-LEO-...ht_1233wt_1062 but not sure at what I'm looking at??). Is there anywhere that sells them upfront.
Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod

Thumper Dan screwed with this post 04-12-2013 at 04:52 PM
Thumper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:05 PM   #75746
Burnt Toast
Slingshot: engaged.

Oddometer: 212
Matto!

Here's a pic looking at the right side with the cover off. See the light at the lower right? That's a flashlight pointing in at the slot on the left side where your washer fell in! Looks like a pretty straight shot to me. Happy fishing!

BTW, nothing behind that cover to worry about. You have to align the clutch pin when removing/installing, but no falling parts. If you haven't already done so, you should do the NSU bolts while you're there (look it up).

Burnt Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:15 PM   #75747
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper Dan View Post
Yes, I've been looking around for a GSXR slip on but haven't really discovered any (I'm not that sure what I'm looking for either, apart from searching for "GSXR muffler" on eBay: like this one: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5378-LEO-...ht_1233wt_1062 but not sure at what I'm looking at??). Is there anywhere that sells them upfront.
Here's everything you wanted to know about the GSXR pipe on the DR...

https://docs.google.com/presentation...nt#slide=id.i0

Basically a stock pipe from an 01/02 GSXR 1000 with x40F0x stamped on it.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:20 PM   #75748
mattomachu
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt Toast View Post
Here's a pic looking at the right side with the cover off. See the light at the lower right? That's a flashlight pointing in at the slot on the left side where your washer fell in! Looks like a pretty straight shot to me. Happy fishing!

BTW, nothing behind that cover to worry about. You have to align the clutch pin when removing/installing, but no falling parts. If you haven't already done so, you should do the NSU bolts while you're there (look it up).

Awesome, thanks for taking the time to post a great picture, looks like a straight shot. I will definitely tackle the NSU bolts while in there, good call. I didn't even know that there was an issue with them until today while googling my other issue. I'm going to leave the mag on and dive into the clutch side tonight.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:27 PM   #75749
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattomachu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Sorry nobody's offering any advice but I don't think most of us have had that problem, fortunately. Must be a nightmare for you, though. Hope it works out for you. Best solution would be to order a puller if you can't borrow one, and get it out through the alternator side, imho.
I thought he was sunk too, until Burnt Toast posted his pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattomachu View Post
TrophyHunter, I'm going to triple check the bottom of the mag tonight. Then I'm going to pop the right side off and go fishing with my magnet. It looks straight forward. Is there anything that I need to worry about falling out? Gears, springs, etc..
You have about a 50% chance of reusing your clutch cover gasket; mine was welded to the cover and a pita to remove.

There are several different NSU ideas here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=15

Loved your photo. Pink is even prittier than red. I thought yer goose was cooked. There's no way you're getting to the washer through the right side access hole, nor through the drain plug. Burnt Toast to the rescue.

Photo thanks to ADV8, he drew the boxes for another issue. I drew the letters for this issue. Ok, so I like smilies.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:50 PM   #75750
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,451
Wheel Not Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
Long story short, I dropped the bike on the right side. Impact was almost all on the right Bark Buster and broke the passenger peg. I got on to ride to work today and noticed the handlebars/wheel was off. The front wheel is now pointing left relative to the handlebars (handlebars straight, wheel left). The handlebars don't appear to be bent, although that's what took the impact, the right Bark Buster/bar end.

Thanks for the input all. I loosened the lower clamps and the wheel went to just about perfect with just a little cycling of the suspension.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote