Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 10:49 AM   #75796
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by refokus View Post
I am looking for the stock (standard) kick stand. The one that I have was cut to accommodate the lowering of the rear shock by the previous owner. If anyone has one or know where I can get one that would be great. Thanks in advance.
I know my question is not as exciting as a suspension or clutch but I would have thought someone would have some kind of answer (let's keep it nice now)

I'll check back in later today. Oh yeah, BTW, I am almost complete with setting this bike up to my liking and needs. Once I am done I will post some details and before and after picks.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #75797
bluegroove
Motorcycle junkie

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
I read stock is 6.5 kg/mm. You can have my stock spring if you want a stock one.
thanks I may take you up on that. I think I'd be happier with about 7 or 7.2. Of course I am not positive if the spring I have is 8.0. I'm assuming the previous owner is correct. He seemed pretty knowledgabe tho.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #75798
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by refokus View Post
I know my question is not as exciting as a suspension or clutch but I would have thought someone would have some kind of answer (let's keep it nice now)

I'll check back in later today. Oh yeah, BTW, I am almost complete with setting this bike up to my liking and needs. Once I am done I will post some details and before and after picks.
Best you can do is keep an eye on Flea Market. Search DR650 in Parts forum. I see stock side stands for sale there from time to time.

Or ... you could lengthen the stand back to stock length. A good welder or machinist should be able to do that for you.
I would be sure your rear suspension is SET before you decide on a side stand length. If you end up with a stiffer spring or lowering or rising links ... this will change ride height and will also change side stand relationship. So do the side stand LAST.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:16 AM   #75799
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegroove View Post
thanks I may take you up on that. I think I'd be happier with about 7 or 7.2. Of course I am not positive if the spring I have is 8.0. I'm assuming the previous owner is correct. He seemed pretty knowledgabe tho.
I don't know what you weigh or your riding style, but yeah, I wouldn't go with a stock spring unless you're 140 pounds riding solely on the street. I currently have an 8.1 spring and it's slightly too stiff. I'm using 2/3 to 3/4 of the total travel even when getting a little air (small jumps) from time to time.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:42 AM   #75800
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
Cleaning the rub marks on the tank.http://www.amazon.com/Nu-Finish-Liquid-Car-Polish/dp/B000BPSW7C

I'm not fanatical about it but enjoy keeping up the appearance of the bike. The Nu Finish is a fine enough compound to remove stains and fine scratches.
Thanks for the link, I added it to my earlier photo so it wouldn't be missed.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #75801
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
I don't know what you weigh or your riding style, but yeah, I wouldn't go with a stock spring unless you're 140 pounds riding solely on the street. I currently have an 8.1 spring and it's slightly too stiff. I'm using 2/3 to 3/4 of the total travel even when getting a little air (small jumps) from time to time.
According the Paul Thede (Race Tech founder) you should be using ALL your suspension travel ... and on severe, high speed hits or big jumps its normal to bottom out the shock. On the DR it would be nice to be using about 75% to 85% of travel in most normal riding conditions. For a good plush ride you want to ride high in the travel for normal road travel ... but the suspension should be able to respond to harsh hits and use MOST of its allowed travel.

The key is the quality of the rebound. The stock shock is NOT GOOD in this regard. A quality rebound circuit is what you really need to provide good control and stability under hard use.
I would go to a 7.6 kgs. spring, adjust preload as needed.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:06 PM   #75802
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
According the Paul Thede (Race Tech founder) you should be using ALL your suspension travel ... and on severe, high speed hits or big jumps its normal to bottom out the shock. On the DR it would be nice to be using about 75% to 85% of travel in most normal riding conditions. For a good plush ride you want to ride high in the travel for normal road travel ... but the suspension should be able to respond to harsh hits and use MOST of its allowed travel.

The key is the quality of the rebound. The stock shock is NOT GOOD in this regard. A quality rebound circuit is what you really need to provide good control and stability under hard use.
I would go to a 7.6 kgs. spring, adjust preload as needed.
No doubt. My Race Tech seems to work perfectly, got my preload set right where it should be (for dirt bikes), but I think my shock spring is one "step" too stiff for most riding; however, using 2/3 - 3/4 isn't loaded up for travel or full gear. At 2/3 - 3/4 of full travel I'm about 20 lbs - 50+ lbs shy of my fully dressed and "loaded" weight. The rebound provided by the Race Tech assembly is about as good as it gets (remembering the best you (me) ever had is the best you know). I do think I'm close to being between spring rates. 7.6 might be better, but 8.1 is working really well for my weight and riding style.

I haven't tried to change or experiment with compression damping.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #75803
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,254
I am amazed at my gas milage consistency on my DR. I ride it hard I ge† 40 MPG, I ride it easy I get 40 MPG, I throw on a Givi topbox that I used to use on my Strom, which would drop the mileage on that bike about 3 MPG. But on my DR, I still get 40 MPG. What an odd bike.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:18 PM   #75804
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY View Post
There are many arenas of adventure riding. This bike surely qualifies. I see it as a great ride for jeep trails and gravel roads. Adventure riding doesn't have to been done in foreign countries as I enjoy doing.

TravelGuy
No fenders
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #75805
fanatic291
Desert Tortoise

Oddometer: 608
First Dual Sport

I just joined the DR650 club.

This is my first bike that I am using to commute to work and explore the fire roads near my house in East Mesa.

I picked up the bike for really good deal with low miles. This thread has so much info...I might have to take a few days off to read 5,000 pages of posts.

Not sure how to upload pics. Do I need to put them online first, or can I upload straight from the desktop?

fanatic
fanatic291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:00 PM   #75806
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by barko1 View Post
No fenders
Exactly. It's a cool looking custom but you couldn't ride it where my "adventures" go.
thump! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:03 PM   #75807
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanatic291 View Post

This is my first bike that I am using to commute to work and explore the fire roads near my house in East Mesa.

I picked up the bike for really good deal with low miles. This thread has so much info...I might have to take a few days off to read 5,000 pages of posts.

Not sure how to upload pics. Do I need to put them online first, or can I upload straight from the desktop?

fanatic
Welcome aboard. Yeah, it's going to take a while to catch up. East Mesa, Where? CO? Pics need to be hosted on-line and then you can link to them. No more uploads.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:05 PM   #75808
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
+1 Always amazes me when people talk about how undersprung the DR is. Underdamped, yes. But you'd have to be a BIG boy to compress some of these high rate springs people say they need. As a motard I agree you want stiff suspension, as a dual sport bike not so much.
thump! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:22 PM   #75809
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,866
Quote:
I currently have an 8.1 spring and it's slightly too stiff. I'm using 2/3 to 3/4 of the total travel even when getting a little air (small jumps) from time to time.
This would be more useful if we knew what your weight is.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:37 PM   #75810
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegroove View Post
For reference, I weigh 210 in riding gear + a 17 pound tailbag. Even on easy pavement rides, I bottom the 6.5 on my Cogent shock. A 7.x is in my plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanatic291 View Post

fanatic
Welcome. The easy way to get onboard is just go back 100 pages and start reading. We cover the same subjects over and over, like being lost in The Twilight Zone.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote