ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 06:35 AM   #76006
8gv
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: North central CT
Oddometer: 2,269
Ok, so I did it...

Got one!

I know, no pics so it didn't happen...

Maybe Thursday night.

Stay tuned...
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:19 AM   #76007
BenYork
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Tahoe/ Humboldt
Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by rand0mlychrisUK View Post
Hi guys,

Anyone have any experience or at least an opinion on these things:
LED Handguard thingys - supposedly DR650 specific.
Looks a little blingy, and I'm really asking whether it would be a pain in the ass to actually connect them. Also, people suggest any other handguards for the DR? The selection on ebay is small, at least when you search model specific.

Thanks,

Chris
I have the HDB Handguards with LED, and they work well. Pretty solid as well, judging by the number of times they have augured in to the ground.
BenYork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:41 AM   #76008
mx_rob
Well enough isn't
 
mx_rob's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: SW Michigan
Oddometer: 84
DR650 Android Phone app....

I just finished uploading v1.1 to Google Play....

http://drriders.com/topic7903.html
__________________
99 DR650SE/Fuel Injected/Box Mod/No Screen/TwinAir/Ground Stk Header/GSXR Exhaust
http://www.DRRiders.com DR650's only...
mxrob.com
mx_rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:39 AM   #76009
Harry94025
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Oddometer: 246
AGM batteries for DR650

Hi Guys,

<2 year old battery in my DR failed yesterday. A friend told me the AGM batteries are more robust, and should last longer than the type I had which was a non-vented lead acid, where you charge the cells with electrolyte prior to installation and it's sealed from that point on...

Could you suggest a brand/part number of an Advanced Gas Mat (AGM) battery which has worked well for you?

Thanks,
Harry
Harry94025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:10 AM   #76010
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer
 
sandwash's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Flagstaff Az
Oddometer: 1,229
I just buy from wally world,they usually last 3-4 years.I also a added one of these,miini digital volt meter.
__________________
97dr650
sandwash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #76011
Jenn
praise seitan!
 
Jenn's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Oakland
Oddometer: 720
FS: DR650 OEM fuel tank, blue

I don't know why I am keeping it - after I got my bigger tank, I must've been delusional that I would ever put this back on... if you want a stock tank for a DR650 (mine is 2005) - blue - no dents, dings, or whatver - I even have the stock petcock to go with it since I replaced my petcock with a raptor...

Drop a line - $200 seems reasonable (plus shipping if you aren't picking up in the Bay Area).
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:27 AM   #76012
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
Good group of riders out there! San Diego Adventure site looks great!

Man, conditions look dry as a chip there. You guys ready for your annual out of control fires? Keep an eye on those out of work fire bugs. Looks ripe for an arsonist.

How about a ride down to La Paz (and back) via Baja 1000 course? No trucks please. Lets see how those KTM's do on that ride!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:29 AM   #76013
Rigerimer
n00b
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Oddometer: 2
2002 Suzuki DR650

I am new to the site and need advise....
I bought this bike 2 weeks ago it has 6700 miles on it, and it ran great for the first 85 miles. Then yesterday after about 1 mile of riding it started missing and when I *slowed down it died and would not start up. Just crank. After it cools off 30 minutes or so it starts and runs fine until it heats up. Then the whole process starts over again. I have drained the fuel and replaced with new fuel, straight gas no alcohol blend. No help. I did notice the exhaust coming out of the head became cherry red after running for about 2 minutes setting still? If the motor is cool it will start and run perfect.*
Any *ideas
Rigerimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:32 AM   #76014
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
I don't know why I am keeping it - after I got my bigger tank, I must've been delusional that I would ever put this back on... if you want a stock tank for a DR650 (mine is 2005) - blue - no dents, dings, or whatver - I even have the stock petcock to go with it since I replaced my petcock with a raptor...

Drop a line - $200 seems reasonable (plus shipping if you aren't picking up in the Bay Area).
Dozens of stock tanks come up for sale every month in the Flea Market forum. IMO, $200 is a bit high, more power to ya if you can get it. Usually a pristine stock tank goes for around $100. Good luck!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #76015
procycle
Beastly Adventurer
 
procycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Center of the DR650 universe
Oddometer: 2,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry94025 View Post
...the type I had which was a non-vented lead acid, where you charge the cells with electrolyte prior to installation and it's sealed from that point on...
That was an AGM battery.
AGM technology is what allows it to be sealed after filling.
__________________
Clarke's second law of Egodynamics: "For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert." - Jasper Fforde
www.procycle.us - Everything for your DR650 and lots of other great stuff!
DR900 Big Bore Stroker buildup
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:29 AM   #76016
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Georgetown, In / Costa Rica
Oddometer: 590
Sounds like a problem with your gas tank cap vent.

TravelGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigerimer View Post
I am new to the site and need advise....
I bought this bike 2 weeks ago it has 6700 miles on it, and it ran great for the first 85 miles. Then yesterday after about 1 mile of riding it started missing and when I *slowed down it died and would not start up. Just crank. After it cools off 30 minutes or so it starts and runs fine until it heats up. Then the whole process starts over again. I have drained the fuel and replaced with new fuel, straight gas no alcohol blend. No help. I did notice the exhaust coming out of the head became cherry red after running for about 2 minutes setting still? If the motor is cool it will start and run perfect.*
Any *ideas
__________________
TRAVELGUY
DL1000 '05 black
DL 650 '06 Red
DR650 '07
.
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #76017
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Northcentral CT
Oddometer: 8,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
Got one!

I know, no pics so it didn't happen...

Maybe Thursday night.

Stay tuned...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Rich: I predict that you will have a DR650 real soon.

maybe we can set something up so you can try mine.
^^^from 3/14/2013^^^

I really wish I could do this with lottery #'s

congrats
__________________
In the beginning, there was nothing. Even That exploded
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers

Rusty Rocket screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 01:42 PM
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:53 AM   #76018
greer
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Glasgow, Kentucky
Oddometer: 3,637
Our local O'Reilly Auto Parts stocks AGM batteries for the DR, the Deka/Superstart ETX9.

Sarah


Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry94025 View Post
Hi Guys,

<2 year old battery in my DR failed yesterday. A friend told me the AGM batteries are more robust, and should last longer than the type I had which was a non-vented lead acid, where you charge the cells with electrolyte prior to installation and it's sealed from that point on...

Could you suggest a brand/part number of an Advanced Gas Mat (AGM) battery which has worked well for you?

Thanks,
Harry
__________________
'08 DR650; '06 XL883 Standard
greer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #76019
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Northcentral CT
Oddometer: 8,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by greer View Post
Our local O'Reilly Auto Parts stocks AGM batteries for the DR, the Deka/Superstart ETX9.

Sarah
My Deka battery has been good to me. I have one in the KTM that's got 2 full seasons on it without even ever seeing a charger/maintainer. I have some other brand of AGM battery that is starting it's second full season, (I had it for a season and a half so far) in the DR. I put that one on a maintainer, only because the DR doesn't have a kickstarter for back-up, like the KTM.
__________________
In the beginning, there was nothing. Even That exploded
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #76020
Harry94025
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by greer View Post
Our local O'Reilly Auto Parts stocks AGM batteries for the DR, the Deka/Superstart ETX9.

Sarah
Thanks, just gave them a call. $79, but the local O'Reilly store needs to order it for me. (I could drive 10 miles and have one tonight, but tomorrow will be fine).

Thanks,
Harry
Harry94025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014