Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
As mention ealier - Gas Cap Vent or

In line fuel filter, small one in fuel line at petcock, or

Bad vacuum to petcock.

Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigerimer View Post
I am new to the site and need advise....
I bought this bike 2 weeks ago it has 6700 miles on it, and it ran great for the first 85 miles. Then yesterday after about 1 mile of riding it started missing and when I *slowed down it died and would not start up. Just crank. After it cools off 30 minutes or so it starts and runs fine until it heats up. Then the whole process starts over again. I have drained the fuel and replaced with new fuel, straight gas no alcohol blend. No help. I did notice the exhaust coming out of the head became cherry red after running for about 2 minutes setting still? If the motor is cool it will start and run perfect.*
Any *ideas

DR650 - Living the Dream!
Escaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:00 PM   #76022
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Cherry red - normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigerimer View Post
I did notice the exhaust coming out of the head became cherry red after running for about 2 minutes setting still? If the motor is cool it will start and run perfect.*
Any *ideas

DR650 - Living the Dream!
Escaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #76023
DirtyDR650
Mud Lover

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx_rob View Post
I just finished uploading v1.1 to Google Play....

http://drriders.com/topic7903.html
This is a must-have tool for every DR650 owner. Every spec you could possibly need at the touch of your smartphone. Exploded views, wiring schematics, part numbers, even specs for Australian models, the UK and other countries.

http://drriders.com/topic7903.html

Thanks for putting it all together and offering it FREE!

DirtyDR650 screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 02:30 PM
DirtyDR650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:43 PM   #76024
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by rand0mlychrisUK View Post
Hi guys,

Anyone have any experience or at least an opinion on these things:
LED Handguard thingys - supposedly DR650 specific.
Looks a little blingy, and I'm really asking whether it would be a pain in the ass to actually connect them. Also, people suggest any other handguards for the DR? The selection on ebay is small, at least when you search model specific.

Thanks,

Chris
Trackside (at Cycle Gear) or Tusk offer inexpensive handguards with shields. You can stick 4" flexible adhesive amber LED strips on those. I find the LED strips at Autozone and Advance Autoparts. Cycle Gear sells adapters to attach signals with bullet connectors to the stock DR harness without any splicing/cutting/crimping.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #76025
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
^^^from 3/14/2013^^^

I really wish I could do this with lottery #'s

congrats
Ok Carnak the Great...

When, pray tell, will I have my first DR650 get off?
8gv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:09 PM   #76026
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by greer View Post
Our local O'Reilly Auto Parts stocks AGM batteries for the DR, the Deka/Superstart ETX9.

Sarah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
My Deka battery has been good to me. I have one in the KTM that's got 2 full seasons on it without even ever seeing a charger/maintainer. I have some other brand of AGM battery that is starting it's second full season, (I had it for a season and a half so far) in the DR. I put that one on a maintainer, only because the DR doesn't have a kickstarter for back-up, like the KTM.
I've not used the Deka/Superstart batteries ... but based on so many positive reports here and elsewhere ... it WILL BE my next battery. I've only heard good things about Deka. Works for me.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:34 PM   #76027
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
I don't know why I am keeping it - after I got my bigger tank, I must've been delusional that I would ever put this back on... if you want a stock tank for a DR650 (mine is 2005) - blue - no dents, dings, or whatver - I even have the stock petcock to go with it since I replaced my petcock with a raptor...

Drop a line - $200 seems reasonable (plus shipping if you aren't picking up in the Bay Area).
$100 on a really really good day. White ones (the fastest color) seem to sell for a lot more.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DR650-stock-...c9243c&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-DR650...p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-DR650...p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-DR-65...3dd182&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-DR650...a5a2e0&vxp=mtr
Motodeficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:51 PM   #76028
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Good group of riders out there! San Diego Adventure site looks great!

Man, conditions look dry as a chip there. You guys ready for your annual out of control fires? Keep an eye on those out of work fire bugs. Looks ripe for an arsonist.

How about a ride down to La Paz (and back) via Baja 1000 course? No trucks please. Lets see how those KTM's do on that ride!
SDAR is a great group. I've seen more territory riding with them in the past 5 years. Fires - worked the last 2 wildfires. No fun and hope we don't get it again ever.

KTM's - not "down" on any particular brand but 1 new 950SE blew a voltage regulator and I towed another 950SE with a bad fuel pump..on this ride! They definitely require attention.

I do love the simplicity of the DR, though. I got to the same place everyone else did & couldn't ride any bike to it's limits no matter what is was.

One of my primary riding buddies has a screen name of Bikeslut - cuz he has no brand loyalty. He's owned and ridden most everything.

I'm at the "it's all about the experience" stage of life with nothing to prove.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:57 PM   #76029
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,155
OK, I got my DR on the road with the new suspension from Cogent and some other new components this last Saturday. The suspension worked really good, the carb needs some attention. I will be ordering new jets, fuel mixture screw for this and give the carb a good cleaning. I need some advise on what jets to get. Here are the details; FMF Q4, and I left the snorkel out when I put the airbox back in. Thats it......so, I am looking for some good insight here on what to get ordered up (Pilot, Main, etc). Thanks in advance

Oh one more thing. I live in the Phoenix but I head north quite often and I will be heading to Colorado this year as well.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:04 PM   #76030
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by refokus View Post
... I left the snorkel out when I put the airbox back in. Thats it......
Stock main, stock pilot, shim the needle up .030"
As long as you are not cutting open the airbox you don't need anything else.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:09 PM   #76031
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Stock main, stock pilot, shim the needle up .030"
As long as you are not cutting open the airbox you don't need anything else.
Jeff, what is the stock main and pilot. I bought this bike recently (and have ordered many items from procycle recently) and I am sure the previous owner was in the carb and I am not sure what the stock sizes of jets are.

Now, if I was to open up the air box what jets should I use and I want to put the extended fuel mixture screw in. Does the kit on your site cover all jets? When looking at the picture, I did not see the pilot jet.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:33 PM   #76032
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,196
I've become what I hate...a throttle bliper! Help me stop the madness!

DR just started not wanting to idle down when coming to a stop. Quick blip of the throttle and it settles down. Thought throttle blade was sticking and figured after the first time that would be it. Nope. I even tried using the push/pull on the throttle and it wont idle down. Blip works every time... WTF?

Going to pull the carb off and give it a good cleaning. Any suggestions on a probable cause?

I swear I will sell the f*!@er if I have to blip the throttle all the time
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:40 PM   #76033
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,064
Quote:
Jeff, what is the stock main and pilot. I bought this bike recently (and have ordered many items from procycle recently) and I am sure the previous owner was in the carb and I am not sure what the stock sizes of jets are.

Now, if I was to open up the air box what jets should I use and I want to put the extended fuel mixture screw in. Does the kit on your site cover all jets? When looking at the picture, I did not see the pilot jet.
Main 140
Pilot 42.5

If you open up the airbox you need a jet kit because you have to change the needle to compensate for the loss in airbox restriction. The jet kit doesn't include a pilot jet. There has never been a need to run anything other than the stock pilot.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #76034
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,336
Quote:
OK, I got my DR on the road with the new suspension from Cogent and some other new components this last Saturday. The suspension worked really good, the carb needs some attention. I will be ordering new jets, fuel mixture screw for this and give the carb a good cleaning. I need some advise on what jets to get. Here are the details; FMF Q4, and I left the snorkel out when I put the airbox back in. Thats it......so, I am looking for some good insight here on what to get ordered up (Pilot, Main, etc). Thanks in advance

Oh one more thing. I live in the Phoenix but I head north quite often and I will be heading to Colorado this year as well.
I have the Q4 on my 530 KTM,its way louder then one would think,if you like noise it's the 1 to get.
Then when the packing blows out it will echo off the canyons.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:51 PM   #76035
Mtn Man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Rigerimer help ...

Hey man, hang in there and take a shot at he two inmates ideas. I know you have a line screwed up going to the carb so maybe between the three things you will be up and running for Pickett!

Might want to reach out to MX Rob or Procycle about the carb issue we discussed. Rob is the best and makes the pumper carb I have on my bike.

Footnote :

Should not have bought blue, they don't run as well!
Mtn Man is offline   Reply With Quote