Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 06:49 AM   #76111
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
So you're saying the footpeg brackets will contain the chain, and that the chain will come out at an angle enough so that re-welded brackets (at least the one on the chain's side) will let it injure a rider worse?
I understand from what he's saying that regardless of the chain issue, if you cut and reweld the riders footpegs, and do jumps on the DR, you're risking a broken footpeg, and possibly your ankle. Or worse, a jagged broken footpeg mount ripping your leg open as you land after the peg breaks off.

Nothing to do with the chain at all, though if you're really unlucky, it could break the top roller off at the same time but you may not be in a position to care, at that point.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:57 AM   #76112
SkunkWizard
recycle crime scene tape

Oddometer: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
I agree
When I read about guys cutting the peg mounts and re welding them I cringe. Holy fok! Do they know the pressure exerted there and the possible maiming of ones foot that can happen ? Whoa!
PCs lowered peg kit is too cheap, this is one area that i would not be Rube Goldfarbing
Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would have to disagree on that. If the weld is done correct it will be stronger than any weld on the DR.
I've been a fabricator for over 40 years (aircraft/race car) I challenge anyone to prove these tig welds are not as strong as the factory pegs.

Also note that the bolt holes for the pegs in the frame thread all the way thru. take advantage of using a longer bolt to purchase the entire frame boss

The DR frame is wire welded you should do your cringing on the rest of the bike

Some of the other cringing things I've done to ponder

skid plate made of treated alloy

tool box & pannier rack

can mount w/pinned bracket

brake lever cut reshape & Kevlar/Carbon case guards

garmin mount

SkunkWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:02 AM   #76113
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWizard View Post
I would have to disagree on that. If the weld is done correct it will be stronger than any weld on the DR.
I've been a fabricator for over 40 years (aircraft/race car) I challenge anyone to prove these tig welds are not as strong as the factory pegs.

Nice work; no doubt yours is as good or better than the factory. I'd be more worried about the guy who bought himself a cheap Harbour Freight welder and thought he could do the same kind of work as you, though.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:14 AM   #76114
NC Rick
Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer: 599
I personally am not sure about the chain roller issues. To me, the chain roller performs an important function by maintaining chain pull angle. Of the broken ones, it would be really interesting to know how many were set up in the rear "low" position when the breakage occurred or at some time in the bikes life prior to the failure?

I realize that the frame welds could be inconsistent but the fact that mine has not had a problem in some 35,000+ miles (few of them easy) makes me wonder.

I remember riding the bike 2 up on stock suspension and hearing the noise from the crummy OEM roller. That is what motivated me to change to a rolled bearing job before the bike had 5K miles on it.

NC Rick screwed with this post 04-25-2013 at 07:14 AM Reason: cant spell!
NC Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:17 AM   #76115
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Rick View Post
I personally am not sure about the chain roller issues. To me, the chain roller performs an important function by maintaining chain pull angle. Of the broken ones, it would be really interesting to know how many were set up in the rear "low" position when the breakage occurred or at some time in the bikes life prior to the failure?

I realize that the frame welds could be inconsistent but the fact that mine has not had a problem in some 35,000+ miles (few of them easy) makes me wonder.

I remember riding the bike 2 up on stock suspension and hearing the noise from the crummy OEM roller. That is what motivated me to change to a rolled bearing job before the bike had 5K miles on it.
So how many problems have occurred since the roller was removed? None!
Old 04-25-2013, 07:26 AM   #76116
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee
I have the same slight gap between the clutch lever and the perch. Does that indicate an issue with the perch/lever pivot point or is everyone's DR like that?

TIA.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:46 AM   #76117
DirtyDR650
Mud Lover

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
I agree
When I read about guys cutting the peg mounts and re welding them I cringe. Holy fok! Do they know the pressure exerted there and the possible maiming of ones foot that can happen ? Whoa!
PCs lowered peg kit is too cheap, this is one area that i would not be Rube Goldfarbing
Yeah and jerking off will cause blindness so DON'T DO IT!!!

As Skunkwizard said a good welder can weld stronger than factory. If you're afraid it'll break then you're obviously not a good welder so DON'T DO IT!!!
Old 04-25-2013, 07:48 AM   #76118
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWizard View Post

I want to believe but require scientific proof. Since I likely weigh more than you, I volunteer to test those pegs. Can you send them to me ASAP?
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #76119
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Wow, jumping over a shopping mall!
Apparently it's a new thing!

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:27 AM   #76120
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
How many times will this come around I wonder? If it's nothing to do with too tight a chain,then what pulls the roller out of the frame? Gravity?
I know many of you are new to bikes and adjusting things but....
If you have a valid point to make, there is no need to be condescending while doing so...

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:41 AM   #76121
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Nice work; no doubt yours is as good or better than the factory. I'd be more worried about the guy who bought himself a cheap Harbour Freight welder and thought he could do the same kind of work as you, though.
Exzacktly,guys see it on the internets and zappo they weld their footpegs up,maybe the 1st time they've tried welding.
The potential for extreme damage to body is there.
I bought some plates off ebay for 25.00,very heavy and thick,like the rest of the bike and the lowering of the pegs is good.

Were not all expert fabricators by a long shot.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:47 AM   #76122
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY View Post
If the rear shock is compressed from a impact and the engine is under acceleration the chain is going to be tight no matter how it is adjusted!! Top run of the chain is always tight under acceleration.

TravelGuy
Your wrong on that one,if its TOO tight it can break the roller out of the frame,a bike is designed to use all it's suspension,not to have the chain be too tight and break parts off.
Ive jumped and thrashed my DR a good amount,I always set the chain tension on the loose side of the notches in the snail adjusters.
1 notch the wrong way on those el-cheapo adjusters and its way too tight.
Its silly to belabor this point yet it goes on.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:49 AM   #76123
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,137
Quote:
...I realize that the frame welds could be inconsistent but the fact that mine has not had a problem in some 35,000+ miles (few of them easy) makes me wonder...
Not every bike looses the upper chain roller but a high percentage of them do. Replacing the stock roller with a ball bearing unit does seem to help.

My own take on this is that the roller is positioned too low from the factory but the damage isn't caused by running the chain either too loose or too tight. Rather, because the roller is too low it gets smacked by the chain much more often than rollers on other bikes. After the roller has been smacked by the chain 1,440,000 times the thin metal of the frame tube has fatigued and cracked and the roller is eventually torn loose.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:50 AM   #76124
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:

When I was doing track days and sport bike suspension we found that the factory spec for chain play would put the chain tight when suspension was compressed. This was causing weird things with the rear suspension we kept trying to dial out. We started running the chain way looser and our suspension gremlins went away. We also found chains and sprockets lasted longer. Never had a problem with chain coming off, but we always double checked alignment and didn't go by the swingarm marks.

This has lead me to run my chains looser then factory specs on the rest of my bikes...DR included. I still have my upper roller after 20K miles (with factory chain/sprocket)- I am 220 lbs and often carry as much as another 70 lbs in gear (8.3 rear spring). I don't think twice about jumping my DR, bouncing it off rocks etc. You can barely see where the chain has touched the upper roller.

I believe the upper roller failures are due to chains that are too tight- and factory spec being too tight.

Just my observation- take it for what it is. I know everyone will do what they want anyway.
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:23 AM   #76125
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:

I do think the Suzuki factory puts the upper roller on there for a reason,and the stock roller is junk no doubt. I bet bottoming the mushy soft suspension to the point of smacking hard on bottom can wreck things including that roller.
It does seem like if there's not slack in the chain as intended by proper adjustment it would break the roller out of the frame.
My DR is set up on the stiff side and I set the sag at 1/3 of travel like they say to do,Ive beat it like a big dirtbike at times and it's obvious its too big and flexy of a bike to survive at that rate for long.

Top roller shows no undue wear,probably just lucky.