User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #76171
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
x ring and DID x ring

Apologies if this topic has been discussed a hundred times previously ( I did search).

I need to know the difference between an x ring chain and a "DID x ring chain"?? There seems to be a bit of a price difference between the two. Obviously the DID x ring would be superior quality which is reflected nearly double the cost of a standard x ring chain.

cheap: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/370283100...84.m1423.l2649

expensive: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DID-X-RIN...1610e11&_uhb=1

thanks
Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod

Thumper Dan screwed with this post 04-27-2013 at 04:29 PM
Thumper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:32 PM   #76172
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper Dan View Post
Apologies if this topic has been discussed a hundred times previously ( I did search).

I need to know the difference between an x ring chain and a "DID x ring chain"?? There seems to be a bit of a price difference between the two. Obviously the DID x ring would be superior quality which is reflected nearly double the cost of a standard x ring chain.

thanks
I'd say pretty obvious but not stated, the cheaper one is no doubt from China, while the DID is a Japanese chain. Your choice.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:51 PM   #76173
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper Dan View Post

thanks
DID is a Japanese company that has been making chains for decades. One of the best in Japan and first to use X ring technology on chains, as opposed to O ring. DID make a variety of chains for the DR650. The best are the X ring series. Previous VM-2 series (now super ceded) may still be available and a bit cheaper. But the current line is the VX Series chains.

In the USA DID are now offering complete kits ... chain and sprockets. I don't know who makes the sprockets but I assume they are Japanese made? (a good thing).

The cheap chain shown in your link is most likely a Chinese version. NOTE that no where in the Ebay blurb do they say where the chain is made. This should be a warming.

The Chinese are doing many things very well and progressing rapidly in quality. But AFAIK, their chains are not much good at this point. I'm sure this will change soon ... you can never count them out. But once they make chains as good as DID, RK, Regina or EK, the cost will probably be close to the same as Japanese chains.

FYI, i've put around 200,000 miles on DID X Ring chains. All good, tremendous service life, low maintenance.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:04 PM   #76174
GotDR650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Hi guys, its been a long time. I've been out testing my HD Drift Cam and i'd like to share a couple of vides with you.
More to come this Season (If summer ever reaches Germany) ;(

Hope you enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdDIjBkr5z8

Tobi
DR 650 SuperMoto
Yamaha TX 650
Yamaha XJR 1300
BMW R75/5 Toaster
BMW R90/6
BMW R1100GS
Suzuki GS1000S
GotDR650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:27 PM   #76175
crash alot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
did i get taken?

pulling the bike apart to put on acerbiz tank and another 1000.00 of goodies, anyway this is the back bone on my frame, does this look right? I think its been wrecked, it seems to ride ok, however I did think the bars were just a little bent.

did a search and cant seem to find any pictures of a bike without the tank on.

2011 ducati multi 1200 S
2011 DR 650
crash alot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:32 PM   #76176
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash alot View Post
pulling the bike apart to put on acerbiz tank and another 1000.00 of goodies, anyway this is the back bone on my frame, does this look right? I think its been wrecked, it seems to ride ok, however I did think the bars were just a little bent.
That is horrible! I think you have been taken, depending on how much you paid.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:28 PM   #76177
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,258
Seems they crushed it in to fit some other tank?
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:51 PM   #76178
JagLite
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
Pissed Totaled DR

Quote:

YEEEEeeeeeoooooooooooocccccccccchhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
That frame is toasted!
That is the worst DR frame damage I have seen
I am guessing the flat spots are where they pressed it with a hydraulic press to try to straighten it.

That is a potential lawsuit there...

That said, the Dr is amazingly stout and if the wheels are in line it will probably ride fine.
If you are comfortable riding it that is.
I doubt the frame is repairable and that much damage to the frame may be accompanied with other hidden damage that was caused by the same wreck.

Look for cracked or broken engine mounting bosses on the cases as well as stress cracks.

Probably not an option, but if you can get your money back I would strongly recommend it!

If you are stuck with it, look for a good used frame or a bike with a blown up engine.

I am sorry to see that you are the victim of a very dishonest person selling something without disclosing the damage history.
Of course, it is possible the one who sold it to you didn't know either...

Best wishes in a difficult situation brother
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #76179
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Was that a rebuilt insurance deal? Or maybe you got one of those Moto Kiwi DR's that were "lightly crashed"? From Arizona? Whatever, looks serious.

RETURN TO SENDER! Sorry to see that.

PS: There is a guy who is about to part out his DR over on DRRiders.com. His engine is toast but rest of the bike is fine as far as I know. Good luck!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #76180
JagLite
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
Eek Frame top tube pictures

I'm trying to find pictures of the frame...

This one isn't very clear and the rear of the top tube is ground down in this shot, but the top tube is straight in an undamaged frame.
best rear view picture I could find of the top tube:

James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:13 PM   #76181
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagLite View Post
YEEEEeeeeeoooooooooooocccccccccchhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
That frame is toasted!
That is the worst DR frame damage I have seen
I am guessing the flat spots are where they pressed it with a hydraulic press to try to straighten it.

That is a potential lawsuit there...

That said, the Dr is amazingly stout and if the wheels are in line it will probably ride fine.
If you are comfortable riding it that is.
I doubt the frame is repairable and that much damage to the frame may be accompanied with other hidden damage that was caused by the same wreck.

Look for cracked or broken engine mounting bosses on the cases as well as stress cracks.

Probably not an option, but if you can get your money back I would strongly recommend it!

If you are stuck with it, look for a good used frame or a bike with a blown up engine.

I am sorry to see that you are the victim of a very dishonest person selling something without disclosing the damage history.
Of course, it is possible the one who sold it to you didn't know either...

Best wishes in a difficult situation brother
+1.
That bike was totaled and then straightened enough to sell.
The rest of the frame cant be in very good shape,takes 1 hell of a crash to bend a frame like that.

If you cant take it back Id find a frame if the rest of the bike seems ok.

(If it was me Id hunt the guy down that sold it to me and haunt his very existence)
Old 04-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #76182
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,714
Quote:

I'm a bit behind here but: the seller of that bike had s*x with you. I think that amount of damage should have a 'salvage' title, depending on state laws and the insurance company (I don't really know how all that chit works).

After you do his kneecaps, put the bike on a stand, straighten the front tire and look at the wheel alignment from the front and rear. It's a good thing if they're vertically parallel.

There is no way that damage was done without bending the forks, so........................... With the bike still on the stand, remove the front wheel, loosen 3 pinch bolts on one fork and spin the upper fork tube. If it's bent, it will be obvious, the bottom end of the fork will have huge runout. Check both forks. If they're straight, check the triple clamps carefully, that amount of damage will also be obvious if they haven't been replaced.

Thirdly(?): some time ago, there was a hooligan DR rider here that posted some photos of his damaged frame. He hit something so hard that the upper bearing cup of the steering head (in the frame not the actual bearing cup) was NOTICEABLY out of round. It was egg shaped and he thought it shouldn't be a problem. My point is: both bearing cups in the frame are easy to visually check with the tank off.

This looks professionally straightened:

Make sure the frame is round here:

And here:

This is the best photo of the frame that I could get with the tank on the bike. (JagLite got that covered)

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 04-27-2013 at 08:23 PM
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:38 PM   #76183
crash alot
Gnarly Adventurer

thanks for the picture jaglite...

I guess I should have pulled the tank off before I bought this....but who does that. im just too trusting, no one to blame but me. I could post the dudes name and address who I bought it from, but he was the second owner. however, he wont return my text message.

there was a dent in stock tank and some markes on the fforks , like a low side, but the tank does not represent a crushed frame. and I did fell as if the bars were bent just a tad, so its all my fault I guess. the bike only has 3700miles on it and its a 2011.....but that may not be the actual speed o after seeing this .

motor mounts look new and no cracks in any welds, however the rubber mounts for the tank are off kilter a little. the acerbiz seems like it would stay on when bolted down, I cant lift it off the front.

ive ordered all the good stuff from procycle, jet kit, k&n, pro taper adaptors, full header, dr 250 tail kit, gold valve , heaver springs, pat walsh skid, pat walsh rear rack, extreame spot lights, not to mention protaper bars, gixer pipe with mid pipe, happy trails panniers...it was going to be a nice DR..

I may continue on, gotta sleep on it. thanks for all the replies. heres a shot with a straight edge down the center of frame, it seems to line up with the center of the steering head, but im far from being a frame guy or mechanic.

2011 ducati multi 1200 S
2011 DR 650
Old 04-27-2013, 08:44 PM   #76184
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
The Chinese are doing many things very well and progressing rapidly in quality. But AFAIK, their chains are not much good at this point. I'm sure this will change soon ... you can never count them out. But once they make chains as good as DID, RK, Regina or EK, the cost will probably be close to the same as Japanese chains.
Plus the Chinese govt is a bunch of SOB's and their factories probably pollute 100x what a Japanese or US factory does.
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000,, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, 1965 Bridgestone 90!
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #76185
crash alot
Gnarly Adventurer

er70s2....thanks, ill check....more to come, ive got some gazunta,s to calculate.....

anyone want to buy a good dr,
2011 ducati multi 1200 S
2011 DR 650