ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 04:18 AM   #76186
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 1,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash alot View Post
I guess I should have pulled the tank off before I bought this....but who does that. im just too trusting, no one to blame but me. I could post the dudes name and address who I bought it from, but he was the second owner. however, he wont return my text message.
I think a poll here would reveal that NOBODY pulls the tank prior to purchase. You're not too trusting and it's not your fault. I don't know how your state works but if your title ID's the bike as SALVAGE then maybe more questions should've been asked....?

The fact the seller won't return your texts speaks volumes.

Start haunting this seller until you get your money back and talk with LEO's and DMV investigators. They may blow you off but do some research. Google the seller's number and check CL. I recently had a friend buy a junked car that had some jacked up documents. It took me about 15 minutes to find the guy & the fact he sold 8 other vehicles that month. We, uh, convinced him to give the money back.

I'd park myself in your sellers life until you liked the result. PM me their info if ya want.
__________________
www.dualsportmoto.com
2005 DR650 2003 DRZ-250
2013 HD Road King '73 Hodaka Wombat

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:46 AM   #76187
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 9,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
I think a poll here would reveal that NOBODY pulls the tank prior to purchase. You're not too trusting and it's not your fault. I don't know how your state works but if your title ID's the bike as SALVAGE then maybe more questions should've been asked....?

The fact the seller won't return your texts speaks volumes.

Start haunting this seller until you get your money back and talk with LEO's and DMV investigators. They may blow you off but do some research. Google the seller's number and check CL. I recently had a friend buy a junked car that had some jacked up documents. It took me about 15 minutes to find the guy & the fact he sold 8 other vehicles that month. We, uh, convinced him to give the money back.

I'd park myself in your sellers life until you liked the result. PM me their info if ya want.
Ditto that. The seller is a crook. If it was the first owner who ripped off the one you bought it from, then they're both crooks. Nobody should deal with this by selling it on to some other unsuspecting buyer.

I'd call the police and the DMV.
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 04-28-2013 at 05:31 AM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:26 AM   #76188
acap650
acap650
 
acap650's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Western PA
Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Thanks


I used the stock petcock because there is no way I'll ever remember to shut it off every time I park the bike for the night.
With my high mileage (on the bike too ), I don't trust the needle and seat.
There are some ideas here, including my use of the stock petcock on an Acerbis 5.3. I have no idea what the IMS petcock mounting surface looks like.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=635647

g'nite
Can't remember what the petcock surface looked like on my IMS but I do recall filing since I had to oval the fuel hole. No leaks so far, and the IMS has brass threaded inserts.

One issue you did not mention is interference where the stock petcock hits engine fins. With the IMS + stock petcock I had to cut out a notch in the top 2 fins - did it twice since the tank changed shape over time.

Another issue is the front turn signals hitting the tank at full lock - mine hits on the right side but only slightly so I left it alone. Happy with the IMS but it is a homely lump.
acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:36 AM   #76189
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NWA
Oddometer: 8,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Ditto that. The seller is a crook. If it was the first owner who ripped off the one you bought it from, then they're both crooks. Nobody should deal with this by selling it on to some other unsuspecting buyer.

I'd call the police and the DMV.
Nothing would come of it, they'll simply see it as a civil matter. Small claims court would be the best route to go.
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:27 AM   #76190
dentedvw
Where did I put that
 
dentedvw's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: ☼SLC-ish☼
Oddometer: 2,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagLite View Post
What exactly does it say on side of the muffler?

If it is a Suzuki muffler it will have the part number and the usual disclaimer.
On the end cap it might say Titanium, certain ones do.
If it is a stock Suzuki muffler from another bike, it does NOT need repacking, ever.
It WILL use a gasket between the mid-pipe and muffler, inside the bolted flange.

If it is not a Suzuki muffler then it probably does require repacking and it may always be too loud.
Can you post pictures of the muffler, the front flange connection to the mid-pipe, and the muffler hanger tab?
If it is not a genuine Suzuki muffler that will help us figure out what it is.

The mid-pipe also has a gasket between it and the headpipe, could that be leaking?
On the exhaust can it reads: SUZUKI 40F0, then e4 under that. Most of the evidence (black junk) points to leaking out the connection from the can to the pipe. So, I pulled it apart, and there is a fair gap there, no gasket at all. Is there supposed to be one at the can? Can I make one from some goop from NAPA? Cut one down from something else?
It's enormously loud, something I was hoping not to deal with on another bike, it's one of the reasons I stopped riding my DRZ on the freeway, it's got a Yoshi exhaust. Deafening.

At least I didn't find a bashed up frame.
__________________
"Even though my trip turned out badly, I don't regret the kind of life I chose to live. Adventure!" RIP-Clay Schwartz 9/14/07
The bike never has been, never is, and never will be the limiting factor in my, your, or anyone else's ability to have an adventure. -jake28-
dentedvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:44 AM   #76191
deathu
Adventurer
 
deathu's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Bucharest
Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedvw View Post
On the exhaust can it reads: SUZUKI 40F0, then e4 under that. Most of the evidence (black junk) points to leaking out the connection from the can to the pipe. So, I pulled it apart, and there is a fair gap there, no gasket at all. Is there supposed to be one at the can? Can I make one from some goop from NAPA? Cut one down from something else?
It's enormously loud, something I was hoping not to deal with on another bike, it's one of the reasons I stopped riding my DRZ on the freeway, it's got a Yoshi exhaust. Deafening.

At least I didn't find a bashed up frame.
The 40F0 is the OEM muffler from the 01-02 GSXR1000, the best option to fit on a DR650 IMO. You are supposed to have a gasket between the midpipe and the muffler, and the midpipe is supposed to protrude about half an inch inside the muffler (the midpipe should not end at the flange level) - check this thread for some photos of how the midpipe should look like.

This is definitely not loud (but not quiet either) on a DR650. I suppose yours is so loud because of the escaping gases at the joint...
deathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:11 AM   #76192
thump!
Adventurer
 
thump!'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Northeast Tennessee
Oddometer: 1,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Nothing would come of it, they'll simply see it as a civil matter. Small claims court would be the best route to go.
Exactly. However, you'll have to document the extent of your damages or loss even there. This kind of thing happens all the time with private sales of used vehicles. The seller will likely claim he was not aware of the problem, hence no criminal intent, and the judge will likely order a cash settlement to the injured buyer. The question is how much is it worth.
thump! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:15 AM   #76193
BadDogMax
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: So Cal
Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
be careful checking the rest of the frame for damage. this photo looks like youve got some more damage just forward of the engine mounting. the disturbed paint is a good sign that there has been some movement there. if it were me id be checking the frame as best you can for straightness in every possible dimension you can think of starting with whats already been suggested here. if you happy with the handling and get the bars straightened up (its pretty common for DRs to have bars out of alignment, even after a light drop on the trail) id be marking out all the points on the frame that have the paint either cracked or "bubbled" like in this photo and getting a professional welder to cut those areas out and do a good job welding in some new sections of pipework. you should be able to get that mangled section of spine cut out completely and a new section welded into place. then either paint over the new parts or get the whole thing powdercoated again. or just buy a new frame if its cheaper.
If it were me I'd probably do this (have some gussets welded on to the damaged areas, repaint, and just ride it). You can't really sell it and if it rides OK then why not?

As a kid I broke the steering head away from the frame on an XR75. My neighbor and I had an epic jump that we would challenge each other on, and suddenly on a landing my bike turned into a chopper. The front wheel went way forward and the engine case hit the dirt, throwing me over the handlebars.

After welding some gussets on either side of the break the bike lived to jump another day.

After the repair, on another jump I broke the shocks from being bottomed so hard, but the frame repair showed no signs of cracking (I checked it frequently though - I was definitely leery of another insta-chopper transformation and resulting crash).
__________________
2007 Suzuki DR650
BadDogMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:39 AM   #76194
mega-hertz
creature of the wheel
 
mega-hertz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: circle city,ca(home) afghanistan, (work)
Oddometer: 77
stripped screws!!!

i can't get the screws loose on my carb's float bowl or the throtler cable braket. i might have to drill them out today. dose anybody know what size they are so i can buy them before i get started, i'm going to go get an impact driver today and i would like to replace them with some hard steal screws.
__________________
DR 650se
anyone can piss on the floor, but a real hero shits on the ceiling!
mega-hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:13 AM   #76195
acesandeights
Asperger
 
acesandeights's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: So. Oregon
Oddometer: 3,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash alot View Post
pulling the bike apart to put on acerbiz tank and another 1000.00 of goodies, anyway this is the back bone on my frame, does this look right? I think its been wrecked, it seems to ride ok, however I did think the bars were just a little bent.




I used to work as an insurance adjuster handling motorcycle claims for the largest insurer of motorcycles. That is a total loss (in my state and per the company I worked for) and should have a salvage title. Any marks on the forks you see isn't related. The forks involved in the accident would have been unusable. This could really open a can of worms depending on whether you financed this bike or what kind of insurance you have on the bike.

My guess is the original owner totaled it, the second owner buys salvaged vehicles and reconstructs them and that's what happened here. The original owner probably got in the accident, the insurance company totaled the bike and sold it to a salvage yard or salvage buyer that straightened the frame and put a set of used forks, wheel, etc from another salvaged bike. In my state the title would show it was salvage or reconstructed. Going forward, you should really disclose this damage to any new buyer and it would cut the value...probably in half, as the appropriate repair for that is a new frame. Sorry.
__________________
http://breakingbooks.wordpress.com
http://www.kenmarshallmetalworks.com/
I may not be Rainman, but I'm not stupid eighter. Like Bartek on a taco.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:45 AM   #76196
Davis53
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Oddometer: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega-hertz View Post
i can't get the screws loose on my carb's float bowl or the throtler cable braket. i might have to drill them out today. dose anybody know what size they are so i can buy them before i get started, i'm going to go get an impact driver today and i would like to replace them with some hard steal screws.
Grab them with some small vice grips, straight on. You need to take the carb off to do this.
__________________
Northern California
R1200GSA
DR650
R90/6
TW200
KTM300EXC
KDX200
Davis53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:54 AM   #76197
PPCLI-Jim
Gnarly Adventurer
 
PPCLI-Jim's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Victoria BC where I ride year round.
Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
I used to work as an insurance adjuster handling motorcycle claims for the largest insurer of motorcycles. That is a total loss (in my state and per the company I worked for) and should have a salvage title. Any marks on the forks you see isn't related. The forks involved in the accident would have been unusable. This could really open a can of worms depending on whether you financed this bike or what kind of insurance you have on the bike.

My guess is the original owner totaled it, the second owner buys salvaged vehicles and reconstructs them and that's what happened here. The original owner probably got in the accident, the insurance company totaled the bike and sold it to a salvage yard or salvage buyer that straightened the frame and put a set of used forks, wheel, etc from another salvaged bike. In my state the title would show it was salvage or reconstructed. Going forward, you should really disclose this damage to any new buyer and it would cut the value...probably in half, as the appropriate repair for that is a new frame. Sorry.
I agree that frame is good to be cut into pieces and thats it, that sort of bend means SERIOUS torque has been applied
__________________
I'm not saying to kill all the stupid people . .. Just remove the warning labels and let nature run it's course


http://www.youtube.com/user/spudhead/videos?view=0 my youtube channel
PPCLI-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:21 AM   #76198
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Some interesting comments about the Bent frame. Shame.
But there are specialists who can straighten frames properly. We have a guy out here in Sacramento, California called The Frame Man. He mostly straightens bent race bikes. Impressive results.

Using Laser alignment, specialized Jigs and hydraulic presses ... those guys have straightened up hundreds of wasted bikes. These specialists are rare, no idea if the OP has any such shops in his region, but might be worth it to look around.

In normal circumstances ... as mentioned ... that frame would be junked. But if the buyer is over a barrel money wise, then straightening might be solution?

If the steering is off it could be simply tweaked forks (easily fixed in 5 minutes) or tweaked rubber dampers below the bar mounts on top triple clamp. Also easy fix ... just push them the opposite way. Bent bars are rare
but with the crash that bike was in, certainly possible. Bars are cheap.
Replace if needed.

If after the forks are straightened (just loosen clamps and tighten back up) and bars are straight in dampers, the bike still is "off" when riding, then its likely the FRAME is not straight.

Weird handling is the other obvious tell tale. Handling should be 100%
neutral. If not ?? ... well, do what you can to fix it.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:34 PM   #76199
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man
 
Kommando's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Spacecoaster FL
Oddometer: 6,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash alot View Post
thanks for the picture jaglite...

I guess I should have pulled the tank off before I bought this....but who does that. im just too trusting, no one to blame but me. I could post the dudes name and address who I bought it from, but he was the second owner. however, he wont return my text message.

there was a dent in stock tank and some markes on the fforks , like a low side, but the tank does not represent a crushed frame. and I did fell as if the bars were bent just a tad, so its all my fault I guess. the bike only has 3700miles on it and its a 2011.....but that may not be the actual speed o after seeing this .

motor mounts look new and no cracks in any welds, however the rubber mounts for the tank are off kilter a little. the acerbiz seems like it would stay on when bolted down, I cant lift it off the front.

ive ordered all the good stuff from procycle, jet kit, k&n, pro taper adaptors, full header, dr 250 tail kit, gold valve , heaver springs, pat walsh skid, pat walsh rear rack, extreame spot lights, not to mention protaper bars, gixer pipe with mid pipe, happy trails panniers...it was going to be a nice DR..

I may continue on, gotta sleep on it. thanks for all the replies. heres a shot with a straight edge down the center of frame, it seems to line up with the center of the steering head, but im far from being a frame guy or mechanic.
An insurance company would total that bike, but most people can't get welding/fabricating done for cheap. If you can, that frame can be repaired as good as new. One can cut the tweaked tubes out and weld in new ones. That's the only fix on that frame that I'd trust that wouldn't look like a$$ (like welding sleeves/gussets over tweaked areas would). You can't trust frames that have been bent like that and then half-a$$ straightened. Tiny cracks and brittle areas develop.

I hope you didn't pay much, and that you know a good welder/fabricator. Otherwise, replace that frame or part out the bike.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #76200
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 1,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Nothing would come of it, they'll simply see it as a civil matter. Small claims court would be the best route to go.
You're probably right on this one but there are criminal statutes in CA. "Theft by deception" basically lying / omitting facts about the product that would reduce it's value. There are also consumer laws that come into play but I'm not sure you could hold them against a non-commercial entity.

That's why I suggested some research on the seller. As mentioned, if they're a "salvage buyer/refurbisher" then they would be subject to consumer laws and in CA they'd have to be licensed by the DMV for that activity.

Best of luck with the fix.
__________________
www.dualsportmoto.com
2005 DR650 2003 DRZ-250
2013 HD Road King '73 Hodaka Wombat

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014