ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 11:37 AM   #76201
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
I have a feeling if the Frame Man looked at that frame he would pass as its destroyed/kinked/badly straightened already.
Its a total not a slightly bent frame, and every weld and tube on the rest of it would be suspect. Considering how cheap a DR can be had with a blown engine its not worth it trying to save that frame.
Its a 400 lb bike,that frame could easily come apart elsewhere.
I suspect you are correct. The Frame Man would most likely avoid due to liability given it's a street bike. It'd be a Lose/Lose for him. I've seen some Alu beam frames he straightened on race bikes ... but very minor bends compared to that poor DR.

I've used the Frame Man many times over the years to straighten bent wheels. (TDM 850, VFR800, KTM Duke ll, V-Strom). The V Strom cast wheel eventually cracked all the way across. New owner had to replace the wheel. He lucked out, found a used one cheap.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #76202
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
April 29, 2013

Here's a video detailing why I chose the Suzuki DR650 as my bike of choice for my three-year motorcycle journey from Chicago to Delhi and then specifically, what are all the features on sanDRina that bring her up to Adventure Spec

Details on Aqualine Safari Tank, Pivot Pegz, WER Steering Stabilizer, Fork Brace, Happy Trails Panniers, Vapor Dash Computer, Galfer Rotors, Answer Handlebar, Ricoh Intiminator, Touratech GPS Mount, Vision X LED Lights, Suzuki GSX-R1000 Titanium Exhaust, Scotts Stainless Steel Oil Filter and more...



(this video was shot before I properly set the valves, so they sound really loud )

Click here for more Videos
Thanks for the Video Jay. Well done Vid!! (next time? a lavalier mic .. remember, I'm a movie sound man!)

Well done explanations of all your good mods. I loved your emphasis on simplicity. The DR650 certainly has that. But it's also got just plain good engineering and QUALITY parts. The Suzuki SACS system is, in large part, why the "air cooled" motor lasts so well and survives abuse. It's brilliant engineering, elegant and simple.

I had predicted your switch fuse block would fail. You proved me wrong! Well done Jay! Well thought out and well executed wiring mods can survive
60,000 miles of Hell! Hope you can keep your ride report going after India and let us all know what you end up doing.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:52 AM   #76203
joefromsf
Dark Happens
 
joefromsf's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: San Francisco
Oddometer: 1,548
Question Sump oil screen accessibility

Anybody know how accessible the sump oil screen is on the DR?

Its #10 in this diagram http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_sectio...0#.UX649MqQOyA

I had my oil sight glass poked out (actually in) by a downed tree branch and am trying to flush out the engine. Details here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=882879

Based on peering in from the left side where I have the clutch cover off, I think the sump oil screen is only accessible by splitting the cases. But there is a slim chance it could be accessible under the stator cover. Anybody know for sure?

Alternatively, does anyone have any good photos of what it looks like under the stator cover. Need a view that is very low, without the stator in place or the area below the stator.

BTW, this is the cliff jumping DR made famous by my crash video. After scores of hours, I finally got it running this weekend and then this freak incident happened two hours into my first shakedown ride.
joefromsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:54 AM   #76204
spannerman
Adventurer
 
spannerman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: glous
Oddometer: 51
output seal

Had leaking output seal on bike i just bought it popped out when seller delivered it which he assured me it was just seal so bought new seal and fitted started up within 10 secounds popped seal out i removed breather from crankcase by starter and it is breathing ok from there , are there any other breathers on dr 650 also anyone had anything similar
spannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:17 PM   #76205
ADVBedouin
Rider
 
ADVBedouin's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: CA. Central Coast
Oddometer: 396
That's a great video Jay, glad to see you're doin great & on the move again soon...safe travels to you!

[QUOTE=Jammin;21291423]April 29, 2013

Here's a video detailing why I chose the Suzuki DR650 as my bike of choice for my three-year motorcycle journey from Chicago to Delhi and then specifically, what are all the features on sanDRina that bring her up to Adventure Spec
ADVBedouin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:23 PM   #76206
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post
Anybody know how accessible the sump oil screen is on the DR?

Its #10 in this diagram http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_sectio...0#.UX649MqQOyA

I had my oil sight glass poked out (actually in) by a downed tree branch and am trying to flush out the engine. Details here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=882879

Based on peering in from the left side where I have the clutch cover off, I think the sump oil screen is only accessible by splitting the cases. But there is a slim chance it could be accessible under the stator cover. Anybody know for sure?

Alternatively, does anyone have any good photos of what it looks like under the stator cover. Need a view that is very low, without the stator in place or the area below the stator.

BTW, this is the cliff jumping DR made famous by my crash video. After scores of hours, I finally got it running this weekend and then this freak incident happened two hours into my first shakedown ride.
We'll see you at Rio Nido for more cliff stories?
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:25 PM   #76207
procycle
Beastly Adventurer
 
procycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Center of the DR650 universe
Oddometer: 2,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post
Anybody know how accessible the sump oil screen is on the DR?... I think the sump oil screen is only accessible by splitting the cases...
Yes, easily accessible... after splitting the cases
There are a few pics here --> http://www.procycle.us/info/articles/dr650/dr900.html
__________________
Clarke's second law of Egodynamics: "For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert." - Jasper Fforde
www.procycle.us - Everything for your DR650 and lots of other great stuff!
DR900 Big Bore Stroker buildup
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:43 PM   #76208
joefromsf
Dark Happens
 
joefromsf's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: San Francisco
Oddometer: 1,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Yes, easily accessible... after splitting the cases
There are a few pics here --> http://www.procycle.us/info/articles/dr650/dr900.html
Thanks for the confirmation. Splitting the cases? Not going to happen. I'll manage.
joefromsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:02 PM   #76209
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer
 
Lil' Steve's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: NYC, AZ
Oddometer: 4,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by spannerman View Post
Had leaking output seal on bike i just bought it popped out when seller delivered it which he assured me it was just seal so bought new seal and fitted started up within 10 secounds popped seal out i removed breather from crankcase by starter and it is breathing ok from there , are there any other breathers on dr 650 also anyone had anything similar

Get one of these from Procycle for less than $25.






http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html#engine
__________________
Steve
13 PCX150, 07 KLX250S w/300 kit, 05 DR650SE, 01 FZ-1
99 VFR800 w/870 kit, 96 GPz1100, 87 CH250
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:25 PM   #76210
spannerman
Adventurer
 
spannerman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: glous
Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Steve View Post
Get one of these from Procycle for less than $25.






http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html#engine
Thanks LIL Steve is this common fault then i was thinking must be blocked breather would they ship to uk
spannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:27 PM   #76211
Kommando
Beastly Adventurer
 
Kommando's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Spacecoaster FL
Oddometer: 7,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post
Anybody know how accessible the sump oil screen is on the DR?

Its #10 in this diagram http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_sectio...0#.UX649MqQOyA

I had my oil sight glass poked out (actually in) by a downed tree branch and am trying to flush out the engine. Details here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=882879

Based on peering in from the left side where I have the clutch cover off, I think the sump oil screen is only accessible by splitting the cases. But there is a slim chance it could be accessible under the stator cover. Anybody know for sure?
'Any chance you could gently backflow that with oil, diesel, air or the like? Insert a thin vacuum tube and vacuum the screen?
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:14 PM   #76212
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer
 
Lil' Steve's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: NYC, AZ
Oddometer: 4,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by spannerman View Post


Thanks LIL Steve is this common fault then i was thinking must be blocked breather would they ship to uk

I wouldnt call it common but it's not unheard of, I have seen it personally though.

I believe Procycle ships worldwide. I'm sure he'll chime in otherwise.
__________________
Steve
13 PCX150, 07 KLX250S w/300 kit, 05 DR650SE, 01 FZ-1
99 VFR800 w/870 kit, 96 GPz1100, 87 CH250
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:18 PM   #76213
joefromsf
Dark Happens
 
joefromsf's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: San Francisco
Oddometer: 1,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
'Any chance you could gently backflow that with oil, diesel, air or the like? Insert a thin vacuum tube and vacuum the screen?
Yeah, that's my fallback plan is something like that. Squirt some kerosene down the passage that goes to the screen in the sump. Not possible to get underneath it to vacuum it though.
joefromsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:27 PM   #76214
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer
 
BergDonk's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Snowy Mountains Oz
Oddometer: 3,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by spannerman View Post


Thanks LIL Steve is this common fault then i was thinking must be blocked breather would they ship to uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Steve View Post
I wouldnt call it common but it's not unheard of, I have seen it personally though.

I believe Procycle ships worldwide. I'm sure he'll chime in otherwise.
Interestingly, since I ceased manufacture, is seems that Suzuki are now making them too, so you may be able to source one via them in the UK. VSM are selling them here in Oz and also ship overseas I believe.

Just posted on the Oz thread, one recently fitted:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=13131

http://www.vincestrangmotorcycles.com.au/cont.html
__________________
shed time IS quality time
BergDonk's DR650 BergDonk's XT1200Z
BergDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #76215
spannerman
Adventurer
 
spannerman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: glous
Oddometer: 51
Thanks guys so whats reason for it coming out i was thinking to much crankcase pressure blocked breather etc
spannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015