Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #76471
deathu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunthechip View Post
What do you mean by fashion an alternative plug?

it was the valve timing inspection plug
btw the plug threads are still good. The ones inside the hole are stripped
Probably enlarge the hole, and cut a new, larger (next metric size) thread and use a bigger plug? Definitely unmount the cover if you do this, it will generate a lot of filings.
deathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #76472
sunthechip
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathu View Post
Probably enlarge the hole, and cut a new, larger (next metric size) thread and use a bigger plug? Definitely unmount the cover if you do this, it will generate a lot of filings.
Any idea where I can get a bigger plug? Do you mean drill out the damaged threads till its smooth and use a tap to make new threads?
sunthechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #76473
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
Correct, except that the symptom of a defective o-ring would be that the bowl overflows, rather than the fuel level stabilizing at a level that is too high.

Regards,

Derek
On two DRs I'be seen the o-ring seal "intermittently" resulting constant variation of float bowl fuel level. They didn't leak enough to overflow the bowl but they leaked enough to cause some very strange behavior.
thump! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:25 PM   #76474
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,221
Quote:
Stripped inspection screw

I was adjusting the valves today and when I put the plug back in the hole (the one where you check for the t-mark) and tightened it. I heard a snap, then the plug wouldn't tighten anymore - I just kept spinning as I was wrenching. I unscrewed it and now the threads are stripped on the inside of the hole. How do I fix it? I think I caused this back when I didn't have a torque-wrench. Should I drain the oil and pull the cover off to look for metal bits? Thanks
Helicoil. Remove the cover. If you don't have the skills to install a Helicoil or another brand of thread insert yourself take it to a machine shop.
thump! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:35 PM   #76475
sunthechip
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thump! View Post
Helicoil. Remove the cover. If you don't have the skills to install a Helicoil or another brand of thread insert yourself take it to a machine shop.
thank you! I don't have the skills or tools, so this is what I will do. Beats buying a new stator cover and gasket :)
Old 05-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #76476
andruboz
Serial overfiller

Oddometer: 5,376
In all the posts of fiddling with the Dr, I haven't seen anything about ignition timing. Is it just that good from the factory, or is it virtually unadjustable. I thought most cars/bikes were sold with the ignition on the retarded side to run on cheap gas without pinging .
Old 05-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #76477
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,356
Quote:
thank you! I don't have the skills or tools, so this is what I will do. Beats buying a new stator cover and gasket :)
Why not just use an expansion drain plug to seal it up until you have time to do it properly?

Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:17 PM   #76478
sunthechip
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Why not just use an expansion drain plug to seal it up until you have time to do it properly?

isn't a thread insert doing it "properly" ? one of those plugs would be nice, but I will have to drain the oil twice if I do that. Its only a 2 mile walk to work, so I'll wait.

should I order a new magneto gasket as well?
Old 05-09-2013, 07:47 PM   #76479
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,356
Quote:
isn't a thread insert doing it "properly" ? one of those plugs would be nice, but I will have to drain the oil twice if I do that. Its only a 2 mile walk to work, so I'll wait.

should I order a new magneto gasket as well?
Yes, a thread insert is 'doing it properly'. If you're within walking distance to work, then you might as well do it right the first time.

And yes, get the magneto gasket. You might not need it, but that only happens if you have a new one waiting.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #76480
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,377
On most bikes, its bolted in a fixed spot, or part of the stator assembly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andruboz View Post
In all the posts of fiddling with the Dr, I haven't seen anything about ignition timing. Is it just that good from the factory, or is it virtually unadjustable. I thought most cars/bikes were sold with the ignition on the retarded side to run on cheap gas without pinging .
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #76481
sunthechip
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Yes, a thread insert is 'doing it properly'. If you're within walking distance to work, then you might as well do it right the first time.

And yes, get the magneto gasket. You might not need it, but that only happens if you have a new one waiting.
cool! thanks man.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #76482
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,346
Quote:

Gaskets are like rain gear, get them so you won't need them.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #76483
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by andruboz View Post
It is not adjustable but The few who have done some experimenting report that changing from the stock setting doesn't have any performance advantage.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning

procycle screwed with this post 05-09-2013 at 09:30 PM
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:37 AM   #76484
Chill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
Anyone else got some suggestions on where to look for problems?
+1 My first thought was oil seeping up past the scraper rings and fouling the plugs. I imagine it would only take a light coating and they'll not fire cleanly enough to start.
Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:54 AM   #76485
considermichael
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Laugh Bought this '92 DR650 Dakar about 20 minutes ago...

Hey guys,

Instead of making a new thread I thought I would try it here first. I just got a wonderful '92 DR650 for 500.- Chf which is about 500$. Thing is it was outside for two years with the rain snow sun etc. 16'000 Miles

I am going to pick it up and hopefully I can get it runnig soon. The battery is completely dead and I was forced to buy it withought ever starting it!

Can anyone let me know if I am forgetting anything before I start her for the first time? Keeping in mind its been sitting there like that for two years. (The dent in the tank was from a wind gust that knocked it onto a stone.)

1. Replace Fuel.
2. Charge Battery.
3. Replace Engine Oil.
4. Clean Carbs? <-- (Is that necessary?)

considermichael is offline   Reply With Quote