Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 01:37 AM   #76501
Chill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
Anyone else got some suggestions on where to look for problems?
+1 My first thought was oil seeping up past the scraper rings and fouling the plugs. I imagine it would only take a light coating and they'll not fire cleanly enough to start.
Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:54 AM   #76502
considermichael
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Laugh Bought this '92 DR650 Dakar about 20 minutes ago...

Hey guys,

Instead of making a new thread I thought I would try it here first. I just got a wonderful '92 DR650 for 500.- Chf which is about 500$. Thing is it was outside for two years with the rain snow sun etc. 16'000 Miles

I am going to pick it up and hopefully I can get it runnig soon. The battery is completely dead and I was forced to buy it withought ever starting it!

Can anyone let me know if I am forgetting anything before I start her for the first time? Keeping in mind its been sitting there like that for two years. (The dent in the tank was from a wind gust that knocked it onto a stone.)

1. Replace Fuel.
2. Charge Battery.
3. Replace Engine Oil.
4. Clean Carbs? <-- (Is that necessary?)

considermichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:59 AM   #76503
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,631
One thing's for sure, you need the pre-'96 thread; here you go:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...61568&page=246

I think there's also a forum at drriders.com

Good luck!

Sarah
Old 05-10-2013, 03:27 AM   #76504
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
Mojave Shock

Ok, I just installed the Mojave shock.

I thought I was going to be wrestling getting it out and putting the new on in. It was suprising how easy it was to install; even with the airbox etc seemed reletively easy.

I need to test tomorrow but I'm not 100% sure about setting the sag. The preferred measurement, according to Cogent is 85mm (rear wheel fully extended, to when I'm sitting on my bike in riding gear), but I'm not sure which way to turn the "bling ring" to increase or decrease the mm??

Also, I may have to put my daughter (adult) on the bike with a bag of concrete which, would then equal my weight and take measurements, otherwise I can't see the measurements whilst I'm sitting on the bike.
Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod
Thumper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:55 AM   #76505
blackcap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunthechip View Post
isn't a thread insert doing it "properly" ? one of those plugs would be nice, but I will have to drain the oil twice if I do that. Its only a 2 mile walk to work, so I'll wait.

should I order a new magneto gasket as well?
if you can afford it and find them go for a Timesert. http://www.timesert.com/html/mtrcsert.html

install it properly and youll never have to think about it ever again. helicoils sometimes dont last.

Australia to Iceland on a DR650 http://oztoice.wordpress.com
blackcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:08 AM   #76506
blackcap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barko1 View Post
Gas in airbox?
we have a winner! checked it this morning and there was fresh fuel on the ground under the bike. pulled the drain plug and a whole heap more cam flowing out. battery had a good charge and after clearing her throat a little the old girl fired right up. thanks for the lesson on that one.

as for oil fouling the plugs, with the angle the DR sits on when resting on the bars on its side and the amount of oil and the size of the engine cavity i cant imagine there would be much chance of actually getting any oil even onto the bottom of the piston, late alone past the rings unless it was sitting upside down. but i guess stranger things have happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Both of those are good ideas. I'd just pull the plugs and let things sit. Do not clean a modern spark plug.

I never, ever do any work on my bike with the fuel tank ON. With the IMS it's off in less than 3 minutes. I set it aside and then have clear access to everything. YMMV.

Did you happen so soak your new clutch plates in oil before installation?
from now on ill be turning the fuel taps off at the very least, the safari is a little more than 3 minutes work to get back on so i prefer to leave it in place but definitely something worth noting in the future. i did give the plates a dip in oil before installing but not a soaking. whats the danger of not applying any oil? i would imagine the oil circuit would coat them all pretty quickly anyway.

Australia to Iceland on a DR650 http://oztoice.wordpress.com
blackcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:24 AM   #76507
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by considermichael View Post
i LOVE that paint job!
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:26 AM   #76508
Carl Childers
Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by considermichael View Post
Hey guys,

But before you head over to the pre-96 thread gotta say that looks sweet in red! My first DR 650 was a brand new 92 in blue my current ones my third.....wish the 96 and later had kept the kicker on top of having electric start.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:30 AM   #76509
deathu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathu View Post
On another topic, I need urgent help with the following issue. During my latest 6-mile commute to work the bike was constantly dying during normal driving. It seems the bike cuts out the ignition when in gear, and the engine dies immediately. At this point it also won't crank unless it's in neutral. The problem was intermittent until I actually had to stop on the side of road, took the seat off and started checking the wires.
Apart from the sidestand safety switch, is there anything else that can cause this? I eventually managed to resume my commute and get to work after playing with the wires but I deffinitely need to recheck everything in the morning before heading back home (it's 11PM now). The sidestand safety switch was elliminated by one of the previous owners, now I have a little green connector with two wires soldered together. I need to know if there is anything else I need to re-check, any obvious sub-systems that can cause the described behavior.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
Clutch safety switch. I would also check the wiring for the removed sidestand safety switch with a multi-meter. The solder may have cracked or something.
Well it turns out I could not replicate the problem any longer this morning, the bike just ran without issue no matter how i played with the wires. I guess it must have been the green connector itself (that was intended for the sidestand switch), as I did un-plug and re-plug it. the wires and solder seem ok..
The clutch switch if I understand correctly can definitely prevent me from starting the engine while in gear, but I guess it won't kill an already running engine if it fails.

Gonna spray some contact cleaner in all the connectors today... and hope to not have any further nasty surprises
deathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:50 AM   #76510
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Forget charging battery, save yourself a lot of trouble, just buy a new one.

[QUOTE=considermichael;21374619]Hey guys,

Instead of making a new thread I thought I would try it here first. I just got a wonderful '92 DR650 for 500.- Chf which is about 500$. Thing is it was outside for two years with the rain snow sun etc. 16'000 Miles

I am going to pick it up and hopefully I can get it runnig soon. The battery is completely dead and I was forced to buy it withought ever starting it!

Can anyone let me know if I am forgetting anything before I start her for the first time? Keeping in mind its been sitting there like that for two years. (The dent in the tank was from a wind gust that knocked it onto a stone.)

1. Replace Fuel.
2. Charge Battery.
3. Replace Engine Oil.
4. Clean Carbs? <-- (Is that necessary?)

DR650 - Living the Dream!
Escaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:48 AM   #76511
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump! View Post
On two DRs I'be seen the o-ring seal "intermittently" resulting constant variation of float bowl fuel level. They didn't leak enough to overflow the bowl but they leaked enough to cause some very strange behavior.
By what mechanism would the o-ring stop leaking when a certain fuel level is reached?

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:49 AM   #76512
Jenn
praise seitan!

Oddometer: 635
*le sigh*

OK, on the plus side - at least this didn't happen until *after* I saw Joan Jett, Cafe Tacuba and the Violent Femmes at Bottlerock (at a costly music festival with $69 ticket fee). And, at least someone was paying attention as I pulled up to the red light and DUMPED OUT ALL MY OIL!!!

Dammit. I thought I was going to go get something to eat at 9:30pm, but apparently I was rolling my motorcycle to the nearby driveway of the passerby who spotted the spill where I was provisioned and charged my iPhone and got a friend to pick me up in Napa and bring me back to Oakland.

Verdict: countershaft seal

Question: where to buy one locally in the Bay Area or dimensions for a suitable replacement (if I wanted to go to, say, Bearing Engineering in Alameda, what are the dimensions)

I'm searching and looking, I swear!
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:56 AM   #76513
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
Verdict: countershaft seal

Question: where to buy one locally in the Bay Area or dimensions for a suitable replacement (if I wanted to go to, say, Bearing Engineering in Alameda, what are the dimensions)

I'm searching and looking, I swear!

I cant help you with where to buy a new seal locally but I strongly suggest you get a seal retainer from Procycle to keep the new seal in place.

Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #76514
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
we have a winner! checked it this morning and there was fresh fuel on the ground under the bike. pulled the drain plug and a whole heap more cam flowing out. battery had a good charge and after clearing her throat a little the old girl fired right up. thanks for the lesson on that one.
Check the oil level and remove the oil fill cap and sniff for gas in the oil.

What was your solution to the leaking carb secondary filter (maybe a month ago)?

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #76515
Jenn
praise seitan!

Oddometer: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Steve View Post
I cant help you with where to buy a new seal locally but I strongly suggest you get a seal retainer from Procycle to keep the new seal in place.
That wasn't my question - thanks for trying to be helpful, though. :)

I found dimensions, at least - 25 x 44 x 7 and p/n 09283-25096
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote