ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 06:14 PM   #76681
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!
 
RichBeBe's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 5,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
Bad idea unless you don't mind the slide guide, emulsion tube, slide, and jet needle wearing out much sooner.

Regards,

Derek
I know I am going to regret this but I would love to hear what line of BS you are going to use to justify this statement. How they hell is that going to happen?
__________________
"Remember that an enduro tests the endurance of three things: your machine, your body, and your wits. Only one has to fail to keep you from reaching the finish line." Cycle World March 1966
RichBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:17 PM   #76682
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!
 
RichBeBe's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 5,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelJM1 View Post
Hey guys. My dr has an 07 rmz450 front end on it that works awesome, except i really dont like the brake on it. It howls pretty bad and its stopping power feels sub par to me (then again, this is coming from experience with an sv1k and 'berg te300 whose brakes are good and "will send me over the bars if i look at it funny", rrspectively). I was wondering if anyone knew of a better braking solution aside from a 320mm supermoto setup. I use thos dr for primarily dirt where the 'berg isnt needed, that is everything up to hard singletrack.

Sent from my Tandy 1000 mobile using DOS
I will say that pads make a different. My DR with worn stockers had much better bite than a set of EBC Red's i put on it. They are so bad that I am going to sand them down on case they are glazed and try again, or chuck them.
__________________
"Remember that an enduro tests the endurance of three things: your machine, your body, and your wits. Only one has to fail to keep you from reaching the finish line." Cycle World March 1966
RichBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #76683
joexr
Banned
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: S.E.
Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
I know I am going to regret this but I would love to hear what line of BS you are going to use to justify this statement. How they hell is that going to happen?
Been there , done that. Wait'll you hear this one.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:42 PM   #76684
barko1
barko1
 
barko1's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Las Cruces, NM or thereabouts
Oddometer: 3,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
I think you're talking about CV carb lag. This is normal.
Not really, mine doesn't have any real discernible lag, grab throttle and it goes. Lots of throttle, little throttle, it just gets going.
__________________
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000,, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, 1965 Bridgestone 90!
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #76685
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
Bad idea unless you don't mind the slide guide, emulsion tube, slide, and jet needle wearing out much sooner.

Regards,

Derek
Question?

You've found that to happen on the KTM640 BST40 but that motor is know to be a very high vibrational motor, one of the worst infact. You've also said you've never worked with tuning a DR650 motor, which is know to be one of the smoothest.

Is it possible the the high vibration 640 motor caused that wear vrs the actual 2nd hole in the slide??? Many of us have had drilled slides for years yet no one has displayed a worn needle like you show from the 640 BST. You profess that that extra drilled hole on a DR BST will in fact vibrate it to it's grave, but is that a fact or just your opinion/theory?

I'm on 6 yrs of a drilled slide and my needle looks new and my slide and guide and not all torn up like your KTM pictures.

Everyone with a drilled 2nd hole in the slide > do any of you have a worn out needle, slide or carrier???
Just curious and if so please let us know so we are not just getting 1 opinion here from Motolab.

I believe knowledge is a collective not 1 person.
Nothing against you Derek, just want to see some evidence (from a DR carb not a KTM) to back up your claim.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350

eakins screwed with this post 05-15-2013 at 07:01 PM
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:00 PM   #76686
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelJM1 View Post
Hey guys. My dr has an 07 rmz450 front end on it that works awesome, except i really dont like the brake on it. It howls pretty bad and its stopping power feels sub par to me (then again, this is coming from experience with an sv1k and 'berg te300 whose brakes are good and "will send me over the bars if i look at it funny", rrspectively). I was wondering if anyone knew of a better braking solution aside from a 320mm supermoto setup. I use thos dr for primarily dirt where the 'berg isnt needed, that is everything up to hard singletrack.

Sent from my Tandy 1000 mobile using DOS
stainless brake lines help.
a different master cyl with a larger bore helps.
larger rotor helps alot.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:15 PM   #76687
joexr
Banned
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: S.E.
Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
stainless brake lines help.
a different master cyl with a larger bore helps.
larger rotor helps alot.
You've got it backwards. Smaller master cylinder will give more power.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #76688
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
You've got it backwards. Smaller master cylinder will give more power.
ah. my bad.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:55 PM   #76689
procycle
Beastly Adventurer
 
procycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Center of the DR650 universe
Oddometer: 2,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
...Many of us have had drilled slides for years
... just want to see some evidence (from a DR carb not a KTM) to back up your claim.
Don't forget that the 90-95 DR650 had 2 slide lift holes from the factory. Those bikes are not known for premature carb wear.

I agree that in theory the quicker response of the slide could increase wear. But how much? 5%? 20%? 1%? more? less? I just bought a DR650 with 48,000 miles on it. Runs like a champ so I know the needle jet isn't worn or at least not enough to matter. Maybe the some components will be worn out by 70,000 or 80,000 miles. Maybe if the slide was drilled it would only have 50,000 or 60,000 good miles in it, maybe a lot more. Nobody really knows, least of all Derek who apparently has never applied hand tools to a DR650.

Asking for proof to back up his claims is what got me labeled as "uncivilized"
__________________
Clarke's second law of Egodynamics: "For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert." - Jasper Fforde
www.procycle.us - Everything for your DR650 and lots of other great stuff!
DR900 Big Bore Stroker buildup
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:36 PM   #76690
joexr
Banned
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: S.E.
Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Don't forget that the 90-95 DR650 had 2 slide lift holes from the factory. Those bikes are not known for premature carb wear.

I agree that in theory the quicker response of the slide could increase wear. But how much? 5%? 20%? 1%? more? less? I just bought a DR650 with 48,000 miles on it. Runs like a champ so I know the needle jet isn't worn or at least not enough to matter. Maybe the some components will be worn out by 70,000 or 80,000 miles. Maybe if the slide was drilled it would only have 50,000 or 60,000 good miles in it, maybe a lot more. Nobody really knows, least of all Derek who apparently has never applied hand tools to a DR650.

Asking for proof to back up his claims is what got me labeled as "uncivilized"
OK , want a laugh? He thinks the slide opens and closes with each and every intake pulse. I wouldn't let him put air in my tires.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:42 PM   #76691
procycle
Beastly Adventurer
 
procycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Center of the DR650 universe
Oddometer: 2,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
OK , want a laugh? He thinks the slide opens and closes with each and every intake pulse. I wouldn't let him put air in my tires.
To be fair, the slide does hop up and down a bit with each pulse. But yeah, it does not do a full open and close - nowhere near that much movement.

OMG here I am defending the guy. Ok, to make up for that I'll also say Derek would have us adjust our idle mixture screws at 'full throttle'. Yes! Clear and precise language is apparently more important than simple communication.
__________________
Clarke's second law of Egodynamics: "For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert." - Jasper Fforde
www.procycle.us - Everything for your DR650 and lots of other great stuff!
DR900 Big Bore Stroker buildup
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:44 PM   #76692
ADVwanaB
BOLD NEW AVATAR
 
ADVwanaB's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Central Jersey
Oddometer: 732
19" front wheel swap

Anyone know if a Savage 650ls wheel will bolt onto the DR650?
i tried a search but too many returns.
Thanks.
__________________
2014 FZ-09 (RED)
2003 DR650 (BLUE)
ADVwanaB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:50 PM   #76693
joexr
Banned
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: S.E.
Oddometer: 3,773
[QUOTE=procycle;21418835]To be fair, the slide does hop up and down a bit with each pulse. But yeah, it does not do a full open and close - nowhere near that much movement.
I tried to get him to stick his finger in a running carb to prove himself wrong. Yes , at low RPMs it moves a lot , but who rides at 2,000 RPMs?
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:53 PM   #76694
barko1
barko1
 
barko1's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Las Cruces, NM or thereabouts
Oddometer: 3,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVwanaB View Post
Anyone know if a Savage 650ls wheel will bolt onto the DR650?
i tried a search but too many returns.
Thanks.
OK, what is that for?
__________________
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000,, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, 1965 Bridgestone 90!
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:56 PM   #76695
procycle
Beastly Adventurer
 
procycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Center of the DR650 universe
Oddometer: 2,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by barko1 View Post
OK, what is that for?
The belt drive??
__________________
Clarke's second law of Egodynamics: "For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert." - Jasper Fforde
www.procycle.us - Everything for your DR650 and lots of other great stuff!
DR900 Big Bore Stroker buildup
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014