Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 03:32 AM   #76696
kezzajohnson
kezza

Oddometer: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
Bad idea unless you don't mind the slide guide, emulsion tube, slide, and jet needle wearing out much sooner.

Regards,

Derek
50k with a drilled slide and none of those issues to date that you mention there Derek.

"May the Road Never Rise to Defeat you..."
kezzajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:58 AM   #76697
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,245
All this talk of drilling and slide wear is over my head (although I do like drilling ). I'm just impressed with the mileage reported on some of these bikes. It seems that my, new to me, DR might just take me to my grave!

Did I just type that? Longevity I mean, not the scene of the crash!
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:07 AM   #76698
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
Question?

I'm on 6 yrs of a drilled slide and my needle looks new and my slide and guide and not all torn up like your KTM pictures.

Everyone with a drilled 2nd hole in the slide > do any of you have a worn out needle, slide or carrier???
Just curious and if so please let us know so we are not just getting 1 opinion here from Motolab.
11,000 miles over 7 1/2 years without any noticeable wear.

20,000 total miles on carb. second hole was 5/32 I believe, (per Kientech site) I have the world famous "Rusty Rocket/Briggs and Stratton" mod on my carb diaphram filter.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=82
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers

Rusty Rocket screwed with this post 05-16-2013 at 05:47 AM
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:15 AM   #76699
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVwanaB View Post
Anyone know if a Savage 650ls wheel will bolt onto the DR650?
i tried a search but too many returns.
Thanks.
When I try to figure out whether or not something will fit, I go to the microfiche with a pad and pen and start writing down part numbers. For example, if the bearings are the same and so is the spacer between them is also, there is a very good chance it will fit. If the outer diameters of the bearings are the same, but the inner diameter isn't, you might be able to make it work by swapping bearings. There is a lot of hidden info on a parts diagram, if you use your imagination.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Old 05-16-2013, 05:36 AM   #76700
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Quote:
why do you think Suzuki engineers opted to go from two lift holes to one, and from a bare brass emulsion tube to a nickel plated one in 1996?

Regards,

Derek
They also put a 15 tooth front sprocket on. I put on a 14 tooth sprocket and things improved dramatically for me. It will wear out more quickly than the 15, but it is worth it.

Same goes for drilling my slide. It may wear out more quickly, but it's worth it.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:20 AM   #76701
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex76
Are you going to pull the starter to lube? I read a writeup where a guy just drilled a hole, lubed, then plugged it back up. I need to do the same thing, starting mr DR in the morning wakes up every dog within 5 miles
I am, yes. If the CCT gasket wasn't leaking, I might have done the "quickie fix" you mentioned. But, since I'll have everything dis-assembled anyway, I'll do it the 'right' way. My starter only squeals when the weather's cold (below 40 F). So, it's not annoying now but will be come (late) Fall.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:49 AM   #76702
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
I have 42,000 miles on my 06 dr650 with about 38k of those miles after slide was drilled. I haven't opened up the carb since since bike runs great! Still wheelies easily top speed over 100 mph and average over 45 mpg. MPG have since rejetting , I monitor ever tankfull and expect that's were I will see a problem first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
How many of those DR650 owners had drilled slides? It's much more likely that the wear came from dirt and dust sucked in through a poorly maintained secondary air filter. That is the real threat for premature wear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

DR650 - Living the Dream!
Escaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:01 AM   #76703
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
I believe knowledge is a collective not 1 person.
Nothing against you Derek, just want to see some evidence (from a DR carb not a KTM) to back up your claim.
I'm not quite sure I'm ready to dip my toes in this pond because I'm really sick and tired of the sniping and pissing on each others' legs. If a civil conversation could be had, we might all learn something. If you don't agree, great but you don't have to resort to name calling ("Motoclown" comes immediately to mind).

When I got my DR, about 20 months ago, it had about 20K miles on it. I say 'about' because the odometer was removed and a Vapor added. The bike needed a good cleaning, the bodywork was black (not my favorite color) and there were a few things I wanted to "undo". So, I ripped the thing apart and had the frame powder coated. Along the way, I rebuilt or replaced all sorts of wear items. That included a complete rebuild of the carb. The BST had a DynoJet kit in it. After lots of reading in this very thread, I decided the DJ kit was not what I wanted. I'm a pretty mild rider and wanted to go back to (mostly) stock. I ended up speaking with Derek many times, on the phone, for what must have been hours. At no point did he ever try to push anything on me or sell me anything. He never once said, "I've been on too long, I have to go". That's pretty awesome customer service.

I ended up replacing almost everything inside the carb and bought the parts from Derek. When I had the bike back together, I had it tuned on a dyno (I could not find a dyno, in Chicago-land, that could run a CO trace). The bike now makes 39 hp with the components Derek sells and the air box is pretty much back to stock form, with the snorkel removed (it had a big hole cut in it and the tuner covered it back up). I am running a GSXR can (040?) and Jesse's mid-pipe. Head pipe is stock.

I have all of the old, worn out parts which include a drilled slide. I can provide images of them but you'll have to be patient as I have a business trip coming up and those parts are buried in my spares pile. I also have a dyno chart that you can look at.

All I can say is that everything Derek has told me has been proven. His parts work (for me). It's painfully obvious that there are lots of solutions here. Different things work for different applications. I have no reason to doubt any of you but at the same time wonder why you choose to direct all sort of vitriol at Motolab. If you don't agree with his findings, fine, but to say he doesn't know his stuff or call him names is just immature.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.

Bronco638 screwed with this post 05-16-2013 at 12:03 PM
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:02 AM   #76704
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,050
Quote:
We have evidence in the form of a dyno chart that shows that the DJ needle does not work.

My 98 has an open airbox and a DJ needle. Runs great, good milage, no hesitations, revs clean. I've had over 40 bikes, this is as well carbed as any of them. But maybe I have bad traces
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000,, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, 1965 Bridgestone 90!
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:27 AM   #76705
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,064
Quote:
You have made this claim in different ways and at different times but when you are asked for evidence of this you trot out your opinions about trends, shapes and traces instead of talking about examples of results.
I have some simple questions for you:

1) Do you deny what the needle shape trends for CV carbs are?
2) If not, do you believe the DR650 to somehow be an exception (i.e. that a change in shape that makes an area richer on a different bike makes it leaner on the DR650?

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:34 AM   #76706
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Noel View Post
OK. I,ve done 10,000klm's only with the 2nd hole. But havn't had the carb apart again to check for wear since cos it goes so awsomely there is no need.
Please provide:

1) The depth of the depressions concentric to the bore in the bottom corners of the slide guide.
2) The lift hole diameter (or better yet, area).
3) How many total miles there are on the slide guide.
4) How many miles ago the lift hole area was increased.
5) What the under-diaphragm carb vent filtration consists of.

Quote:
DJ kit etc
Unfortunately "goes awesomely" is a fairly subjective and anecdotal assessment. Please provide a dyno chart with at least a CO trace (or ideally one each for wide, 1/4, 1/8 and 1/16 openings).

Regards,

Derek

motolab screwed with this post 10-10-2013 at 08:19 PM
Old 05-16-2013, 08:38 AM   #76707
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
When I had the bike back together, I had it tuned on a dyno (I could not find a dyno, in Chicago-land, that could run a CO2 trace).
Thanks so much for your comments. One slight correction though - it's CO (rather than CO2) that's the best indicator of mixture strength, and would therefore hopefully be shown on a dyno chart.

Regards,

Derek
Old 05-16-2013, 08:39 AM   #76708
JagLite
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 924
Thumb Dyno comparisons

Quote:
It's better on all bikes mild to wild.
Here's the 'stock bike' dyno chart again:

Thanks Jeff!

This is the comparison of the FMF Hi-Flo header with stock?
I can see that the stock is better for my DR since I don't ride it in the higher revs.
Yes, I do have a tachometer. (Tiny Tach)

My street tracker though is another story though, and why I made my own tapered header.
It is meant to be ridden at high rpm.

Do you have a dyno comparison chart of the FMF Power Bomb header with stock?

Are you running a Hi-Flo on both your 790 & 900?

Is there an easy way for us to find your dyno charts on your site?
I searched and couldn't find a way other than clicking on the ones you have linked in some of the item descriptions.

I couldn't find this dyno chart anywhere, nor are charts linked for either of the FMF headers.

I know you have lots of helpful info on your site, I just can't always find it...
James
JagLite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:42 AM   #76709
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzajohnson View Post
50k with a drilled slide and none of those issues to date that you mention there Derek.
I find that hard to believe, since slide guides wear even when the slide has not been drilled and the under-diaphragm vent filtering is perfect.

Please provide:

1) The depth of the depressions concentric to the bore in the bottom corners of the slide guide.
2) What the lift hole diameter (or better yet, area) is.
3) How many total miles there are on the slide guide.
4) How many miles ago the lift hole area was increased.
5) What the under-diaphragm carb vent filtration consists of.

Regards,

Derek

motolab screwed with this post 05-16-2013 at 09:12 AM
Old 05-16-2013, 08:45 AM   #76710
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
11,000 miles over 7 1/2 years without any noticeable wear.

20,000 total miles on carb. second hole was 5/32 I believe, (per Kientech site) I have the world famous "Rusty Rocket/Briggs and Stratton" mod on my carb diaphram filter.
Please provide the depth of the depressions concentric to the bore in the bottom corners of the slide guide.

Regards,

Derek

motolab screwed with this post 05-16-2013 at 09:12 AM