Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 09:59 AM   #76696
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Don't forget that the 90-95 DR650 had 2 slide lift holes from the factory. Those bikes are not known for premature carb wear.

I agree that in theory the quicker response of the slide could increase wear. But how much? 5%? 20%? 1%? more? less? I just bought a DR650 with 48,000 miles on it. Runs like a champ so I know the needle jet isn't worn or at least not enough to matter. Maybe the some components will be worn out by 70,000 or 80,000 miles. Maybe if the slide was drilled it would only have 50,000 or 60,000 good miles in it, maybe a lot more. Nobody really knows, least of all Derek who apparently has never applied hand tools to a DR650.

Asking for proof to back up his claims is what got me labeled as "uncivilized"
I wondered about that needle/slide wear too. My Carb had the extra hole drilled. It was not working great at around 30K miles. The slide did show some wear but the DJ needle and needle jet looked OK ... still like new.

I think what may have caused the slide wear on my first Carb was all the dirt that got inside from not paying attention to vent filter. Carb full of dirt. So that might have contributed?

The "new" Carb seems fine so far with about 20 to 25K miles on it ... but I have NOT drilled the slide. I take care the filters, all runs good. The transferred the original DJ Needle over to new Carb ... so that needle is now up over 50K miles.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:11 AM   #76697
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex76 View Post
I went to adjust the fule mixture screw and found it was completely screwed in (previous owner put on DJ kit and extended fuel screw) so I backed it out to 1 1/4 turn and rode home. It was quite a bit slower and less responsive which confuses me. Felt like it wasrunning much leaner to me. The way I understand it, the screw richens the mixture the more you UNscrew it. Makes sense as unscrewing it would open up the passage way.
Unscrewing the fuel screw makes the mixture richer. There is normally not much overlap between the fuel screw's affect on closed throttle and other openings. That opening the fuel screw made the engine run worse, and that it significantly affected openings other than closed throttle indicate that the mixture is already too rich for other reasons. The first things I would check would be:

1) Is the pilot air bleed jet clean?
2) What is the fuel level in the float bowl?
3) What size is the pilot jet?
4) What is the depth of the depressions concentric to the bore in the bottom corners of the slide guide (which will give an indication of whether the emulsion tube is likely to be worn)?

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:30 AM   #76698
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
1) Is the pilot air bleed jet clean?
2) What is the fuel level in the float bowl?
3) What size is the pilot jet?
4) What is the depth of the depressions concentric to the bore in the bottom corners of the slide guide (which will give an indication of whether the emulsion tube is likely to be worn)?

Regards,

Derek
Sounds like I need to pull the carb and give it a good once over. I figured that meant something was wrong with the setup. Thanks!
The Lost Texan, Wanders East
Tex76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:35 AM   #76699
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
My Carb had the extra hole drilled. It was not working great at around 30K miles. The slide did show some wear but the DJ needle and needle jet looked OK ... still like new.
How many miles prior had the hole been drilled and what size was it? Are you saying the slide showed wear, the slide guide showed wear, or both? What is the depth of the depressions concentric to the bore in the bottom corners of the slide guide?

I'm not surprised that the DJ needle looked OK, as it's stainless steel, but stainless steel is also harder on the emulsion tube than aluminum. You may not be able to see the wear on the emulsion tube. It takes less than a 0.0005" change in diameter to produce an unambiguous change in CO% on the dyno. This is corroberated by the fact that emulsion tubes for aftermarket Mikuni carbs come in 0.0002" or 0.0004" increments. On the KTM, you need to be worried about emulsion tube wear when the slide guide wear gets to ~0.010". On the DR650, this may be a touch later because the emulsion tube is nickel plated.
Quote:
I think what may have caused the slide wear on my first Carb was all the dirt that got inside from not paying attention to vent filter. Carb full of dirt. So that might have contributed?
Absolutely.
Quote:
The "new" Carb seems fine so far with about 20 to 25K miles on it ... but I have NOT drilled the slide.
What is the depth of the depressions concentric to the bore in the bottom corners of this slide guide?
Quote:
The transferred the original DJ Needle over to new Carb ... so that needle is now up over 50K miles.
The DJ needle should last for a long, long time. But it will be at the expense of the emulsion tube.

Regards,

Derek
Old 05-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #76700
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
.................................... I have the world famous "Rusty Rocket/Briggs and Stratton" mod on my carb diaphram filter.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #76701
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty rocket View Post
but it's worth it.
+1
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:53 AM   #76702
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
...and the air box is pretty much back to stock form, with the snorkel removed..
This is what it takes to make the DR run properly with an OEM needle.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:53 AM   #76703
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
We can also turn this around.
This is what you always do - try to deflect the conversation away from the point. Results are what matters. You have none.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:56 AM   #76704
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I have some simple questions for you:

1) Do you deny ...?
2) If not, do you believe...?
Again, trying to deflect from the main point which is your claim that a DR650 can be made to run properly with an open airbox and an OEM needle.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:03 AM   #76705
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,782
I sure wish I had the opportunity to loan my bike to Derek for a while. I've had one interaction, via PM, with Derek. It was very professional.

All the snarky sniping is unbecoming Jeff. I'm not you, but I'd step back just a little. Let people accept or reject Derek's comments unless you know he's saying something absolutely untrue. Otherwise you are coming across (to me) as petty.

If people wanted to be snarky, there are plenty of opportunities to do that related to experiences with Procycle too. Best, in my opinion to treat people or businesses professionally, especially online. You have a lot of experience specifically with the DR. From what I've gathered, Derek has a significant amount of broader knowledge or experience and he is speaking from that broad knowledge and experience.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:05 AM   #76706
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
This is what you always do - try to deflect the conversation away from the point. Results are what matters. You have none.
I do have proof that the DJ needle does not work. Where is proof to the contrary?

My questions were right to the point, because either the needle shape trends are not the needle shape trends, the the needle shape trends are the needle shape trends and the DR650 is somehow exempt from them, or the non-USA adjustable OEM needle will work better than the DJ.

Regards,

Derek

motolab screwed with this post 05-16-2013 at 01:14 PM
Old 05-16-2013, 11:06 AM   #76707
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Again, trying to deflect from the main point which is your claim that a DR650 can be made to run properly with an open airbox and an OEM needle.
I unwaveringly maintain that it can be made to work better than the DJ needle.

Regards,

Derek

motolab screwed with this post 05-16-2013 at 11:23 AM
Old 05-16-2013, 11:48 AM   #76708
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I do have proof that the DJ needle does not work. Where is proof to the contrary?k
Yet again, trying to deflect from the main point which is your claim that a DR650 can be made to run properly with an open airbox and an OEM needle.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:49 AM   #76709
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I unwaveringly maintain that it can be made to work better than the DJ needle.
Yes, you have said that countless times but offer no results to back it up.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:58 AM   #76710
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
All the snarky sniping is unbecoming Jeff. I'm not you, but I'd step back just a little.
I apologize if I am comming off as snarky. It is certainly not my intention. Maybe adding some smileys will show that I have no animosity. I'm not trying to beat Derek up. I truly wish he would produce the results I am asking about. I believe such an accomplishment would benefit all DR650 riders who want to improve their motorcycles.