rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
If anyone is interested, I've posted the dyno sheet for my DR: LINK

The small print, at the bottom, reads:

Run Conditions:
Ambient temp: 82.58 F, barometric pressure: 29.41 in-Hg, Humidity @ 23% STD: 1.03
Open air box, 150 mj, 42.5 pj, needle on second notch - Factory Pro Kit
34.66 hp

Ambient temp: 81.73 F, barometric pressure: 29.38 in-Hg, Humidity @ 33% STD: 1.04
3/4 covered air box, 145 mj, 42.5 pj, needle on third (middle?) notch - Factory Pro Kit
38.78 hp

The traces cross @ ~2500 rpm and then cross back @ ~3500 rpm. At the 3500 rpm mark, the open air box configuration starts to fall on its face. I have not made any changes to the DR, with respect to fuel or exhaust systems since. I have not calculated fuel economy. I would hope it gets close to 60 mpg.
3/4 covered airbox is the same as stock snorkel removed or a different hole size?
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:21 AM   #76892
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
That is a Hayabusa pipe. All the GSXR and 'Busa cans are the same basic design internally.
ah yes, i see the 3 mid-pipe mount studs vrs 4 found on the GSXR muffler.
thanks.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #76893
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,317
Put the GSXR 750 can on Colleen's DR and it is wonderful. Not loud, quite light.

Our son bought a GSXR 750 in 2001 and of course changed the exhaust the same day! We had this can up in the rafters.......FOR FREE!
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #76894
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
If you looking to increase HP you would need to increase main jet size with an open airbox.

I think your dyno run clearly shows that. On course you would get no were near 60 MPG if you did.

I run with side cover removed, FMF muffler and 160 Dynojet Main Jet, Dynojet needle on groove #4 from the top, slide drilled.

I don't know if Factor Pro and Dynojet, jet sizes are comparable.

No dyno test but has run great for 39K + miles.

Quote:

Run Conditions:
Ambient temp: 82.58 F, barometric pressure: 29.41 in-Hg, Humidity @ 23% STD: 1.03
34.66 hp

Ambient temp: 81.73 F, barometric pressure: 29.38 in-Hg, Humidity @ 33% STD: 1.04
3/4 covered air box, 145 mj, 42.5 pj, needle on third (middle?) notch - Factory Pro Kit
38.78 hp

The traces cross @ ~2500 rpm and then cross back @ ~3500 rpm. At the 3500 rpm mark, the open air box configuration starts to fall on its face. I have not made any changes to the DR, with respect to fuel or exhaust systems since. I have not calculated fuel economy. I would hope it gets close to 60 mpg.

DR650 - Living the Dream!
Escaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:46 PM   #76895
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,284
Quote:

Run Conditions:
34.66 hp

38.78 hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaped View Post
If you looking to increase HP you would need to increase main jet size with an open airbox.

I think your dyno run clearly shows that. On course you would get no were near 60 MPG if you did.

I run with side cover removed, FMF muffler and 160 Dynojet Main Jet, Dynojet needle on groove #4 from the top, slide drilled.

I don't know if Factor Pro and Dynojet, jet sizes are comparable.

No dyno test but has run great for 39K + miles.
When you are speaking of an "open" airbox, are you saying the side cover off or top cut-out ala Kientech mod?
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:16 PM   #76896
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
So I'm here in Oregon dodging potential snow on my way to Alaska and I have a question. The DR is leaking oil pretty bad from the can chain tensioner. Its not enough to make the oil level drop off the high full mark, but it is enough to coat the bottom of the cylinder and even run down atop where the oil filter is. At what point do I need to worry about this? The nearest cct gasket is in Everett Washington, and I can't wait where I am or snow might stick me. I did pick up a spare quart of oil and some gasket maker in case it should completely let go. I know many DRs do this, so what say ye? It started in Mississippi and seems to be getting worse..
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:21 PM   #76897
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaped View Post

I'm running a DG muffler, side cover removed, 160 DJ main jet as well - but I'm at sea level.

Have you taken your DR650 to an elevation where the 160 main jet was too large? At what elevation was it?
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:21 PM   #76898
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
So I'm here in Oregon dodging potential snow on my way to Alaska and I have a question. The DR is leaking oil pretty bad from the can chain tensioner. Its not enough to make the oil level drop off the high full mark, but it is enough to coat the bottom of the cylinder and even run down atop where the oil filter is. At what point do I need to worry about this? The nearest cct gasket is in Everett Washington, and I can't wait where I am or snow might stick me. I did pick up a spare quart of oil and some gasket maker in case it should completely let go. I know many DRs do this, so what say ye? It started in Mississippi and seems to be getting worse..
Where in Oregon? We have CCT gaskets in stock in Springfield.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:29 PM   #76899
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm just north of bend. I will make Springfield later today and get one- what time does your shop close? Any good campgrounds you can recommend there?

Also, what is it I need to do to ensure I don't snap the cam chain? I have the manual on my phone and will look, but I figured I'd ask
Old 05-21-2013, 01:49 PM   #76900
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,248
It's running great now!!!

Thank you to all who contributed to solving my DR throttle lag.
I bought some PineSol and soaked the disassembled carb and its parts. That solved the problem and I now have a great running bike!

In other news...

Today my pristine DR FELL OVER on while idling in my driveway.
It was my fault because I had it angled too much away from the stand. There was no real damage. I discovered a whole new set of swears though. Wifey thought I was speaking in tongues!

Now i have just two questions:

When will my hands stop shedding thier skin? It could have been the carb cleaner though.

Does lemon scented PineSol taste any better than the regular stuff?

eakins suggested the PineSol solution. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post

i'm a fan of pine sol soak every so often with my DR carb. even a clean looking carb releases un-seen dirt and the bike runs great after.
pinesol is safe on rubber and plastic parts (slide guide etc.).
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=560117

at this kind of low mileage nothing the chance of something worn out is slim.
more than likely something is blocked. think simple.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #76901
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,766
Quote:
I'm just north of bend. I will make Springfield later today and get one- what time does your shop close? Any good campgrounds you can recommend there?

Also, what is it I need to do to ensure I don't snap the cam chain? I have the manual on my phone and will look, but I figured I'd ask.
Depending on your tool comfort level, ask Jeff if the engine needs to be on TDCcompression or can you skip it. If you've done your valves, just remove the intake cover, a spark plug (clean the recess) and watch the rockers until you hit TDC.

This is a possible snag, well it was for me. Several years ago, I didn't know about retracting the plunger and thought it was spring loaded and would retract as I pulled it in with the two mounting screws. At least I figured out something wasn't going right and figured it out

My gasket was a major PITA and stuck to the cylinder head. Don't get p!ssed off and nick the surface when you get in a hurry. If I was forced to do this on a trip, most likely I'd use RTV and not even try to screw with the gasket. Another thing you can ask for Jeff's recommendations.

There's a small screw inside the left end that retracts the plunger. Two points: 1: you need a small screwdriver (and the screw is pretty stiff). 2. Turn the screwdriver clockwise to retract not ccw.

Once the CCT is re-installed, turn the screw CCW to release the plunger. The screwdriver might spin in your hand as the plunger extends.

As removed:

Before installation. Most will latch retracted, some won't. Mine needed two or three tries before it latched. If yours won't latch, you need to retract it as you tighten the mounting screws.

The small retract screw is in here. Quickie homemade cereal box gasket where the screwdriver is, and this isn't where it's leaking.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 05-21-2013 at 04:21 PM
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #76902
ketur
dat stonk

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Such an amazing discovery; I was going to order parts from the great ProCycle here soon but it turns out ProCycle is less than 5 minutes away from my home!
ketur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:31 PM   #76903
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketur View Post
Such an amazing expensive discovery;
Fixt

Oh, and welcome.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #76904
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,086
Quote:

Also, what is it I need to do to ensure I don't snap the cam chain? I have the manual on my phone and will look, but I figured I'd ask
Open til 5 but if you're running later than that call the store and someone will hang around.

ER70S-2 pretty much covered the critical point of replacement. The pipe and starter are in the way so figure on a bit of disassembly to get down to it.

No clue about nearby campgrounds but probably one of the guys in the store will have some options.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #76905
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Open til 5 but if you're running later than that call the store and someone will hang around.

ER70S-2 pretty much covered the critical point of replacement. The pipe and starter are in the way so figure on a bit of disassembly to get down to it.

No clue about nearby campgrounds but probably one of the guys in the store will have some options.
Thanks but don't wait on me today. Started heading that way and hit snow. Not familiar with the area so decided to head back to town so I don't hit ice. Anyone know if ice is still possible this late in the year? Forecast showed snow tomorrow but not today. Long winter...