Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 09:18 PM   #76891
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
Do we know why Suzuki decided to produce their own? ... did they have enough warranty claims, or.....?.
Bingo!
I've heard of at least 2 bikes that got engine cases replaced under warranty. Apparently because someone figured the seal bore was too large (I doubt this was really the case). Anyway, warranty claims are what drive fixes like this. Which is why other things that some of us think ought to be fixed aren't addressed - because few of those failures happen under warranty.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:20 PM   #76892
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill View Post
I'm thinking the quiet version Supertrapp... but are they much louder? Also would this require any rejetting? Currently I've got standard carb, airbox with snorkel, K&N filter, FMF header and it runs well. Any thoughts appreciated.
You can make a Supertrapp quiet but by doing so it will be as restrictive as stock or maybe more so.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:49 PM   #76893
Chill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
You can make a Supertrapp quiet but by doing so it will be as restrictive as stock or maybe more so.
Ok, thanks. I might give it a go, it would still be a big weight saving I suppose. I'm guessing if I get it almost as quiet then it will be as restrictive and therefore would not require any carb adjustment.

Thanks BergDonk, those pipes look nice, always nice to see well made Aussie stuff. I have a bit of a hankering for Supertrapp... since about the ago of 10 when I saw a grown-up on XR350 and realised it was ok to like being in the woods.
Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:56 PM   #76894
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketur View Post
Hey guys! First post here, was waiting for this moment: just came home with a 2003 DR650 with 8,000 miles on it. I'm upgrading from a KLR 250 that I rode for three years, felt it was time for an upgrade!
Welcome, the DR is far better than any KLR. Everyone here will be glad to tell you so.

Quote:
It has an aftermarket exhaust but he gave me the stock one... I think I may put the stock one on and see how that feels, might be easier to hear if there's the proper jetting. No idea if any jetting mods were made but there's also a K&N filter... I wonder if I'm running a bit too lean now.
The first things to check are the two screws holding the carburetor cap on and the two holding the float bowl on. If they're JIS (phillips lookalikes but different), the carb most likely hasn't been tampered with. If they're allen heads, someone has probably been in there.

If you ride much dirt, throw the K&N away. They can say it flows more air, and as far as I know, they do. They flow more air because they also flow more dust. There are several internet articles verifying this.

Quote:
...................it's unbelievable what I've been missing.
Yes it is.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:42 PM   #76895
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,011
Quote:
I took an old stock muffler to the band saw. Here's the inside view....................

More pics and info can be found here at DRRiders
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Thanks for taking the time to cut, photo and draw.

You could put that and the DRRiders link in the DR650 Index so it doesn't get lost forever.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:20 AM   #76896
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,115
Quote:
Hey guys! First post here, was waiting for this moment: just came home with a 2003 DR650 with 8,000 miles on it. I'm upgrading from a KLR 250 that I rode for three years, felt it was time for an upgrade!

I did a double take when I saw your post. I just bought a blue '08 to replace (so far as wifey is concerned) my KLR250. Great minds think alike.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:13 AM   #76897
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DChief View Post
Just changed out my cush rubbers today......WOW! It's like I have a brand new bike. I got the bike (1996 'cause purple is faster!) about a year ago with 16,000 miles, and apparently still the original cush rubbers. I did 8,000+ miles cruising around the US last summer, plus lots of local riding. It's now at 28,000 and I can't believe the difference! Shifts are much smoother, so is deceleration, I didn't realize how much slop was in the hub! I had to use some spray silicone to get the hub back together enough to fit in the swing arm since the new rubbers were so tight. I'm a believer now, if your drive feels sloppy at all, change those babies out!

Tim
FWIW, shimming works too. I'll no doubt replace the rubbers but this discussion raised my awareness about the issue. To confirm the worn out status of my cush rubbers, I cut some shims cut from copper roofing stock that resulted in the same very snug fit and a dramatic reduction in chassis vibration. Yeah, I need to replace mine next time I change the tire.
thump! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:42 AM   #76898
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal View Post
A little word about the mighty DR. I now own a V Strom 650 along with my DR650, and it's been a back and forth thing on which gets ridden more. It's usually the Strom to be honest, mostly when I'm going somewhere just on-road.
Yep, I have a DR650, a DL650, a DR350 AND a SV650. Did I mention I like Suzukis . I consider the Wee-Strom (80K miles) to be a pavement princess. I love it for that use but it's just too big and too fragile for any serious off-pavement use IMO.

The DR650 (38K miles) is my workhorse. I consider it my adventure bike. It's wearing 60/40 tires, IMS tank, Intimidators in the forks and a Cogent Dynamics shock on the rear. It provides "adequate" performance for me, is tougher than a pig's snout and I agree it will go damn near anywhere if you're not in a KTM kind of hurry. It's the one I choose for day-to-day errands and for actually going somewhere over unpaved terrain. Rode it from Jellico, TN to Van Buren, ME last summer on ~70% unpaved terrain.

The DR350 is a tagged trail bike. Knobbies, flat-slide carb, kick-start, Clark tank, cartridge forks, Trailtech Vapor and the like. These days I use it for day rides but I did the TAT on it a couple of years ago. I were going to do the TAT again today, I'd take the DR650, it's a better mule.

The SV is technically my wife's but I ride it occasionally when I feel the need (for speed). We used to have two SV650s but when I got the DL the second one seemed a bit redundant.

As others, have said, if I could have only one it would be the DR650.

Jim
thump! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:22 AM   #76899
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 7,815
Quote:
I took an old stock muffler to the band saw. Here's the inside view:

Wow, what a mouse-maze. Very cool, thanks for doing that.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:33 AM   #76900
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 7,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill View Post
That's very interesting about the cut exhaust. Currently I'm using the stock muffler and an FMF header. I like the quietness of the stock muffler but it is very heavy. Is there an aftermarket muffler that is also quiet-ish and gives good torque (as the STD one seems to) but significantly lighter but still relatively quiet.

I'm thinking the quiet version Supertrapp... but are they much louder? Also would this require any rejetting? Currently I've got standard carb, airbox with snorkel, K&N filter, FMF header and it runs well. Any thoughts appreciated.
I was running a SuperTrapp with the "quiet core". I had it down to 6 discs. By removing discs, you make the exit size of the pipe smaller, there-by decreasing sound. I felt that 6 was about as few as I could reasonably get by with. The SuperTrapp is 8 lbs lighter than the stock can. I still put the stocker back on after a couple seasons. The S.Trapp was still too loud for my liking. I should figure out how many discs are equal in area for the same exit hole as the stock. Maybe I could go as low as 2 discs and still get by.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:55 AM   #76901
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
I was running a SuperTrapp with the "quiet core". I had it down to 6 discs. By removing discs, you make the exit size of the pipe smaller, there-by decreasing sound. I felt that 6 was about as few as I could reasonably get by with. The SuperTrapp is 8 lbs lighter than the stock can. I still put the stocker back on after a couple seasons. The S.Trapp was still too loud for my liking. I should figure out how many discs are equal in area for the same exit hole as the stock. Maybe I could go as low as 2 discs and still get by.
I'm lucky - my DR650 came with the DG exhaust. The PO gave me the stock exhaust as well, but I've never experienced riding the bike with a quieter exuast.

At times it is a tad too loud for my liking, but most times I don't notice it. I just can't imagine putting the stock exhaust back on for the weight penalty though.... at least not yet. If the DG exhaust goes bad or cracks I may do it.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:59 AM   #76902
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 16,708
Quote:
I took an old stock muffler to the band saw. Here's the inside view:

sweet. thanks for that.
here is your gsxr muffler pic to compare

either way a much cleaner path for exhaust gasses to run out, alot lighter and never needs to be repacked.

any chance you have a hayabusa pipe that many are using to cut that one open too?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Facebook - please come follow us:
https://www.facebook.com/butlermaps

eakins screwed with this post 05-21-2013 at 08:13 AM
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:16 AM   #76903
RideAlongAtlas1
IS GOOD ! ! !

Oddometer: 145
A DR650 uses 6.5L per 100km. Fair statement?

My new DR650 has not done more than 200km on its standard tank. I've had in around 2 months. Conked out twice. At the moment it's in the garage and has done close to 200km, but I turned it to reserve earlier this evening as I was riding along.
"A DR650 does 200km on a standard 13l tank. It therefore uses 6.5 litres per 100km".
Under normal urban and highway conditions. Fair or unfair statements?
RideAlongAtlas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:31 AM   #76904
Bultaco206
Back-to-back motos suck

Oddometer: 1,219
Just installed a Seat Concepts kit on my DR this morning. I've had one on my KLX for a year and swear by it. I have one to install on my DL, too.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:48 AM   #76905
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
any chance you have a hayabusa pipe that many are using to cut that one open too?
That is a Hayabusa pipe. All the GSXR and 'Busa cans are the same basic design internally.