Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #76891
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead_pete View Post
Going to fit a E09 Dakar to the rear of my DR which has an 18" rim and want to confirm the 130 is the size I need.

Will fit a D952 at the same time unless I shouldnt?

Thanks
Pete
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Not sure whether or not it will fit. You say you have an 18" rim. DR 650 17" rim is 2.50 wide. If you have an 18" DR350 wheel, it is only 2.15 wide. There is a fitment guide somewhere that shows if that is a safe fit, but I can't remember where it is hiding.
The E09 will work good on a 2.5 x 18, not so sure about a 2.15 rim though. a 120 might make more sense. The Dakar version is a bit stiff for the DR too I reckon, and the standard, cheaper, non stripe version works a bit better on the 'light' DR. Or a Mich T63 which is effectively the same tyre, often made in the same factory and usually cheaper again.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:38 PM   #76892
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty ... View Post
That sound didn't come from the bolts . Emotional stress from the prospect of a snapped header fastener causes your, uh, nether-regions to make that noise as you're turning the wrench . (I have the same reaction.)

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:14 PM   #76893
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by dresda View Post
I can go 400kms (250 miles) on my IMS tank before I go on reserve. Just thought I'd throw that in.
Probably because nobody has ever touched the carb/filter on your bike... Unlike mine which had been screwed around with and was running on fumes after 200 kms on the same IMS tank...
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:14 PM   #76894
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
OK, so just to make sure I understand, your NZ/AU DR650 came with a bare brass emulsion tube, but the NZ/AU spec replacement is nickel plated?

Regards,

Derek
I ordered a Needle Jet for a DR650 locally and got the nickel plated Y5-M instead of our brass Y5.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:29 AM   #76895
ketur
dat stonk

Oddometer: 29
I just found out previous owner put rear axle in the wrong direction. Nut is on left side. I don't think this is catastrophic but I'm finding a rather large handful of funny things on this bike. Also I'd say the rear axle was torqued to about 20ft lbs... Thank goodness for cotter pins...
ketur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:38 AM   #76896
Magnum Noel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAlongAtlas1 View Post
My new DR650 has not done more than 200km on its standard tank. I've had in around 2 months. Conked out twice. At the moment it's in the garage and has done close to 200km, but I turned it to reserve earlier this evening as I was riding along.
"A DR650 does 200km on a standard 13l tank. It therefore uses 6.5 litres per 100km".
Under normal urban and highway conditions. Fair or unfair statements?
Mine uses between 4.5 and 5.5L per 100k depending on riding style etc. Standard exhaust and DJ kit.
Magnum Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:42 AM   #76897
blackcap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
just a couple of quick questions to the collective knowledge pool; will the stock chain guide work with a 47t rear sprocket? and do the powerbomb header pipes have any special technology inside that little expansion chamber, or is it just that, an empty expansion chamber?

Australia to Iceland on a DR650 http://oztoice.wordpress.com
and facebook https://www.facebook.com/oztoice
blackcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:55 AM   #76898
RideAlongAtlas1
IS GOOD ! ! !

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill View Post
Sounds similar to my first few tanks.I used to get about 230km to the standard tank eventually from memory. But I also remember the first few tanks went quick until I got the hang of how to get the most out of the bike. I came to if from a big 4CYL bike and the power's in a different place here. I switched to a Clarke tank 15L and it goes to reserve around the 300km mark, so I'd probably run dry at 350km.

What fuel do you put in. I used to use BP95 but have tried 98 recently, feels a bit quicker but that could be in my mind. I was getting occasional pinking on 95.
I've been using 91 octane. Do you reckon if I went higher it'll help? What is 'pinking'? Cheers
Old 05-22-2013, 05:07 AM   #76899
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
just a couple of quick questions to the collective knowledge pool; will the stock chain guide work with a 47t rear sprocket? and do the powerbomb header pipes have any special technology inside that little expansion chamber, or is it just that, an empty expansion chamber?
probably not; probably not; yes.
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surfboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:53 AM   #76900
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 9,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAlongAtlas1 View Post
I've been using 91 octane. Do you reckon if I went higher it'll help? What is 'pinking'? Cheers
I run the highest octane I can find. Usually 93. I get "pinging" (detonation) at heavy load. Usually too low of a gear at a large throttle opening, like when you should be downshifting, but can't because you are climbing a hill in nasty rocky terrain and can't get to the shifter quick enough. It is worse for my bike on lower octanes.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:41 AM   #76901
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,485
So let's see if I got this right...

Valves are in spec
Stock everything
Plugs are new, gapped and clean

I was getting some light backfire when using engine braking with the throttle closed. I turned the mixture screw richer (out) a half turn and it went away.
I did this because I believe the backfire came from a lean condition.

Am I right?
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:25 AM   #76902
3DChief
"Moto therapist"

Oddometer: 411
No. The backfire comes from a lack of a decel circuit in the BST40 carb. Many carbs have a circuit that trickles a small amount of fuel when the throttle is closed and that's why you don't hear it on them. Suzuki chose not to use that system. The only correct way to get ride of it is to replace the carb with one that has a decel circuit. That backfiring is not hurting a thing, Suzuki engineers know a thing or two about engines.

Tim
3DChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:27 AM   #76903
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
I run the highest octane I can find. Usually 93. I get "pinging" (detonation) at heavy load. Usually too low of a gear at a large throttle opening, like when you should be downshifting, but can't because you are climbing a hill in nasty rocky terrain and can't get to the shifter quick enough. It is worse for my bike on lower octanes.
Usually pinging means you're on the lean side of stoichometic combustion for a given compression ratio and timing advance. Higher octane fuel exists for the purpose of preventing detonation. Those fuels burn more slowly than lower octane. Theoretically you will get maximum fuel mileage and maximum power running the lowest octane that prevents detonation (pinging).
thump! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:24 AM   #76904
dresda
shut up and RIDE!

Oddometer: 987
Pinging aka as pinking sounds like a bunch of metal sock knitting needles dropped onto a concrete floor. Just in case anyone wonders what it sounds like.

Sent via aldis lamp on Tapatalk
'....and I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen, incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant, poisoned, electric head. ' from My Pink Half of the Drainpipe by Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band.
dresda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #76905
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
So let's see if I got this right...

I was getting some light backfire when using engine braking with the throttle closed. I turned the mixture screw richer (out) a half turn and it went away.
I did this because I believe the backfire came from a lean condition.

Am I right?
Although the backfire went away, so did several MPG. The mixture screw flows fuel at all throttle openings and wastes some fuel doing so. Tim nails the explanation below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DChief View Post
No. Yes. The backfire comes from a lack of a decel circuit in the BST40 carb. Many carbs have a circuit that trickles a small amount of fuel when the throttle is closed and that's why you don't hear it on them. Suzuki chose not to use that system. The only correct way to get ride of it is to replace the carb with one that has a decel circuit. That backfiring is not hurting a thing, Suzuki engineers know a thing or two about engines.

Tim
Fixt to avoid confusion, even if I was the only one.
Technically, the backfire comes from a lean condition, as you went on to say.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote