Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 01:29 PM   #76891
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Where in Oregon? We have CCT gaskets in stock in Springfield.
I'm just north of bend. I will make Springfield later today and get one- what time does your shop close? Any good campgrounds you can recommend there?

Also, what is it I need to do to ensure I don't snap the cam chain? I have the manual on my phone and will look, but I figured I'd ask
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:49 PM   #76892
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,292
It's running great now!!!

Thank you to all who contributed to solving my DR throttle lag.
I bought some PineSol and soaked the disassembled carb and its parts. That solved the problem and I now have a great running bike!

In other news...

Today my pristine DR FELL OVER on while idling in my driveway.
It was my fault because I had it angled too much away from the stand. There was no real damage. I discovered a whole new set of swears though. Wifey thought I was speaking in tongues!

Now i have just two questions:

When will my hands stop shedding thier skin? It could have been the carb cleaner though.

Does lemon scented PineSol taste any better than the regular stuff?

eakins suggested the PineSol solution. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post

i'm a fan of pine sol soak every so often with my DR carb. even a clean looking carb releases un-seen dirt and the bike runs great after.
pinesol is safe on rubber and plastic parts (slide guide etc.).
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=560117

at this kind of low mileage nothing the chance of something worn out is slim.
more than likely something is blocked. think simple.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #76893
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
I'm just north of bend. I will make Springfield later today and get one- what time does your shop close? Any good campgrounds you can recommend there?

Also, what is it I need to do to ensure I don't snap the cam chain? I have the manual on my phone and will look, but I figured I'd ask.
Depending on your tool comfort level, ask Jeff if the engine needs to be on TDCcompression or can you skip it. If you've done your valves, just remove the intake cover, a spark plug (clean the recess) and watch the rockers until you hit TDC.

This is a possible snag, well it was for me. Several years ago, I didn't know about retracting the plunger and thought it was spring loaded and would retract as I pulled it in with the two mounting screws. At least I figured out something wasn't going right and figured it out

My gasket was a major PITA and stuck to the cylinder head. Don't get p!ssed off and nick the surface when you get in a hurry. If I was forced to do this on a trip, most likely I'd use RTV and not even try to screw with the gasket. Another thing you can ask for Jeff's recommendations.

There's a small screw inside the left end that retracts the plunger. Two points: 1: you need a small screwdriver (and the screw is pretty stiff). 2. Turn the screwdriver clockwise to retract not ccw.

Once the CCT is re-installed, turn the screw CCW to release the plunger. The screwdriver might spin in your hand as the plunger extends.

As removed:

Before installation. Most will latch retracted, some won't. Mine needed two or three tries before it latched. If yours won't latch, you need to retract it as you tighten the mounting screws.

The small retract screw is in here. Quickie homemade cereal box gasket where the screwdriver is, and this isn't where it's leaking.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 05-21-2013 at 04:21 PM
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #76894
ketur
dat stonk

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Where in Oregon? We have CCT gaskets in stock in Springfield.
Such an amazing discovery; I was going to order parts from the great ProCycle here soon but it turns out ProCycle is less than 5 minutes away from my home!
ketur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:31 PM   #76895
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketur View Post
Such an amazing expensive discovery;
Fixt

Oh, and welcome.

Quote:
Old 05-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #76896
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,181
Quote:

Also, what is it I need to do to ensure I don't snap the cam chain? I have the manual on my phone and will look, but I figured I'd ask
Open til 5 but if you're running later than that call the store and someone will hang around.

ER70S-2 pretty much covered the critical point of replacement. The pipe and starter are in the way so figure on a bit of disassembly to get down to it.

No clue about nearby campgrounds but probably one of the guys in the store will have some options.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #76897
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Open til 5 but if you're running later than that call the store and someone will hang around.

ER70S-2 pretty much covered the critical point of replacement. The pipe and starter are in the way so figure on a bit of disassembly to get down to it.

No clue about nearby campgrounds but probably one of the guys in the store will have some options.
Thanks but don't wait on me today. Started heading that way and hit snow. Not familiar with the area so decided to head back to town so I don't hit ice. Anyone know if ice is still possible this late in the year? Forecast showed snow tomorrow but not today. Long winter...
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:01 PM   #76898
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,181
Quote:
Thanks but don't wait on me today. Started heading that way and hit snow. Not familiar with the area so decided to head back to town so I don't hit ice. Anyone know if ice is still possible this late in the year? Forecast showed snow tomorrow but not today. Long winter...
Ice would be pretty unlikely but possible up at the very top of the pass. I hope it blows through by Thursday afternoon. I''ll be headed east over that same pass.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:14 PM   #76899
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
........................Long winter...
I don't know what your experience level is, I'm not trying to talk down to you or scare you.

I just did my CCT gasket last week, I don't even have the pipe back on yet. Some bits: If you decide to use RTV instead of fighting with gasket removal, you don't have to take anything off to remove the CCT. Is it easy, nope, but can be done. Why would you want to do that? The two bolts holding my exhaust manifold to the head were tight. If one breaks, you'll have to deal with getting the broken bolt out of the head. So I decided to WD-40 the bolts and let them sit overnight. I squirted the seam between the flange and the head, flushed it good so the WD could wick up the threads overnight. My point is, if your pipe hasn't been removed recently, hose it down tonight. Both bolts went off like gunshots when I removed them.

If you decide to remove and replace the gasket, the pipe and oil lines have to come off so you can get in to scrape. I used Permatex Gasket Remover but it was painfully slow. Although I don't like using power anything on an alum gasket surface; I used a 2" Roloc on an air grinder to get the worst of the gasket off, that gasket is stuck. You can re-use the washers on the banjo fittings, worse case is they'll seep a tiny bit of oil until you can get new washers.

Another potential problem: in the photo with the screwdriver stuck in the CCT, the handle is exactly where the pipe lives. You'll need a pretty short screwdriver in order to fit in the end of the CCT to release the plunger.

Good luck, let us know how it went.

In this photo with the pipe off you can see that the CCT will clear the starter and bracket that fastens the end of the clutch cable, if you choose to use RTV. (which may have to cure overnight ??)

Quote:

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 05-21-2013 at 06:39 PM
Old 05-21-2013, 05:23 PM   #76900
Chill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAlongAtlas1 View Post
My new DR650 has not done more than 200km on its standard tank. I've had in around 2 months. Conked out twice. At the moment it's in the garage and has done close to 200km, but I turned it to reserve earlier this evening as I was riding along.
"A DR650 does 200km on a standard 13l tank. It therefore uses 6.5 litres per 100km".
Under normal urban and highway conditions. Fair or unfair statements?
Sounds similar to my first few tanks.I used to get about 230km to the standard tank eventually from memory. But I also remember the first few tanks went quick until I got the hang of how to get the most out of the bike. I came to if from a big 4CYL bike and the power's in a different place here. I switched to a Clarke tank 15L and it goes to reserve around the 300km mark, so I'd probably run dry at 350km.

What fuel do you put in. I used to use BP95 but have tried 98 recently, feels a bit quicker but that could be in my mind. I was getting occasional pinking on 95.
Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:45 PM   #76901
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill View Post
That's very interesting about the cut exhaust. Currently I'm using the stock muffler and an FMF header. I like the quietness of the stock muffler but it is very heavy. Is there an aftermarket muffler that is also quiet-ish and gives good torque (as the STD one seems to) but significantly lighter but still relatively quiet.

I'm thinking the quiet version Supertrapp... but are they much louder? Also would this require any rejetting? Currently I've got standard carb, airbox with snorkel, K&N filter, FMF header and it runs well. Any thoughts appreciated.
'01-'02 GSX-R1000 muff and Kientech midpipe. Kientech also offers midpipes to fit similar muffs from the GSX-R600 and 750, as well as the Hayabusa and possibly some other bikes.
Kommando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:56 PM   #76902
Krusty ...
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2
Both bolts went off like gunshots when I removed them.
That sound didn't come from the bolts . Emotional stress from the prospect of a snapped header fastener causes your, uh, nether-regions to make that noise as you're turning the wrench . (I have the same reaction.)
Old 05-21-2013, 06:04 PM   #76903
panhead_pete
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,130
Going to fit a E09 Dakar to the rear of my DR which has an 18" rim and want to confirm the 130 is the size I need.

Will fit a D952 at the same time unless I shouldnt?

Thanks
Pete
Old 05-21-2013, 06:04 PM   #76904
dresda
shut up and RIDE!

Oddometer: 960
I can go 400kms (250 miles) on my IMS tank before I go on reserve. Just thought I'd throw that in.

Sent via aldis lamp on Tapatalk
'....and I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen, incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant, poisoned, electric head. ' from My Pink Half of the Drainpipe by Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band.
dresda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:07 PM   #76905
luckychucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Not sure as to the accuracy of some of those numbers. A stock DR650 with no extras weighs in around 163 kgs Wet. Also, I'm pretty sure the seat height is lower than 35". And don't forget, the DR can be lowered by reversing the factory settings. (drops it about an inch)

Helmets:
Expedition Riding? Wind noise? First thing I would do is buy some nice, soft ear plugs. Goes a long way to eliminating wind noise, fatigue and improves concentration, focus.

A 5 year old Shoei helmet is deluxe compared to a Crap M2R. Helmet styles are personal ... I prefer Shoei flip ups. (Multitec or Neotec)
Not cheap but quite good. Also check out new top of the line HJC lightweight flip up helmets. Very good for travel, less $$$ than Shoei.
I bought a multitec, it's either the helmets design, or the high vibe coming from the DR. I've lost two screws out of my Multitec and it's falling apart. POS, my Simpson never lost any screws.
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote