Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2013, 06:07 AM   #76906
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
just a couple of quick questions to the collective knowledge pool; will the stock chain guide work with a 47t rear sprocket? and do the powerbomb header pipes have any special technology inside that little expansion chamber, or is it just that, an empty expansion chamber?
probably not; probably not; yes.
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:53 AM   #76907
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAlongAtlas1 View Post
I've been using 91 octane. Do you reckon if I went higher it'll help? What is 'pinking'? Cheers
I run the highest octane I can find. Usually 93. I get "pinging" (detonation) at heavy load. Usually too low of a gear at a large throttle opening, like when you should be downshifting, but can't because you are climbing a hill in nasty rocky terrain and can't get to the shifter quick enough. It is worse for my bike on lower octanes.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:41 AM   #76908
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,347
So let's see if I got this right...

Valves are in spec
Stock everything
Plugs are new, gapped and clean

I was getting some light backfire when using engine braking with the throttle closed. I turned the mixture screw richer (out) a half turn and it went away.
I did this because I believe the backfire came from a lean condition.

Am I right?
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:25 AM   #76909
3DChief
"Moto therapist"

Oddometer: 411
No. The backfire comes from a lack of a decel circuit in the BST40 carb. Many carbs have a circuit that trickles a small amount of fuel when the throttle is closed and that's why you don't hear it on them. Suzuki chose not to use that system. The only correct way to get ride of it is to replace the carb with one that has a decel circuit. That backfiring is not hurting a thing, Suzuki engineers know a thing or two about engines.

Tim
3DChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #76910
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
I run the highest octane I can find. Usually 93. I get "pinging" (detonation) at heavy load. Usually too low of a gear at a large throttle opening, like when you should be downshifting, but can't because you are climbing a hill in nasty rocky terrain and can't get to the shifter quick enough. It is worse for my bike on lower octanes.
Usually pinging means you're on the lean side of stoichometic combustion for a given compression ratio and timing advance. Higher octane fuel exists for the purpose of preventing detonation. Those fuels burn more slowly than lower octane. Theoretically you will get maximum fuel mileage and maximum power running the lowest octane that prevents detonation (pinging).
thump! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #76911
dresda
shut up and RIDE!

Oddometer: 973
Pinging aka as pinking sounds like a bunch of metal sock knitting needles dropped onto a concrete floor. Just in case anyone wonders what it sounds like.

Sent via aldis lamp on Tapatalk
'....and I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen, incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant, poisoned, electric head. ' from My Pink Half of the Drainpipe by Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band.
dresda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #76912
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
So let's see if I got this right...

I was getting some light backfire when using engine braking with the throttle closed. I turned the mixture screw richer (out) a half turn and it went away.
I did this because I believe the backfire came from a lean condition.

Am I right?
Although the backfire went away, so did several MPG. The mixture screw flows fuel at all throttle openings and wastes some fuel doing so. Tim nails the explanation below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DChief View Post
No. Yes. The backfire comes from a lack of a decel circuit in the BST40 carb. Many carbs have a circuit that trickles a small amount of fuel when the throttle is closed and that's why you don't hear it on them. Suzuki chose not to use that system. The only correct way to get ride of it is to replace the carb with one that has a decel circuit. That backfiring is not hurting a thing, Suzuki engineers know a thing or two about engines.

Tim
Fixt to avoid confusion, even if I was the only one.
Technically, the backfire comes from a lean condition, as you went on to say.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #76913
yachabibi
n00b

Oddometer: 4
so... cop pulled me over, tail light not working

Last night, toward the end of a very long ride, 650 miles, a cop pulled me over to tell me that tall light wasn't working.
I had to tape my flashlight ( red led) to my luggage rack so cop would let me go.
I have the 250 mod and the led license plate light.
Neither are working when the bike is on but both light up for breaking.
this problem is also intermittent.
where do I even start trouble shooting?
Apart from replacing turn signals and battery I have installed Oxford heated grips and hid headlight from procycles.
thanks
yachabibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #76914
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Although the backfire went away, so did several MPG. The mixture screw flows fuel at all throttle openings and wastes some fuel doing so. Tim nails the explanation below.
Technically, the backfire comes from a lean condition, as you went on to say.
Yea, seems counterintuitive. Also, the mixture screw flows fuel even when throttle is fully closed, that fuel is wasted.

I found by leaning out my mixture screw (pilot fuel screw?), my overall MPG went up from about 46 MPG up close to 50 MPG. My idle is just a tiny bit lumpy but worth it for the improved MPG. I have the stock muffler and wear ear plugs, so the minor backfiring not an issue (for me). With a loud Yosh pipe (or other loud pipe) ... it may drive you crazy?
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:44 AM   #76915
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachabibi View Post
Last night, toward the end of a very long ride, 650 miles, a cop pulled me over to tell me that tall light wasn't working.
I had to tape my flashlight ( red led) to my luggage rack so cop would let me go.
Apart from replacing turn signals and battery I have installed Oxford heated grips and hid headlight from procycles.
thanks
Hi Yachabibi and welcome to the site.

The plate and tail light run on the same wire, start at the tail light and work your way forward.
Do us a favor and fill in your profile location; state or country.

The red circles indicate connectors that aren't used in the USA. So you'll find plugs just hanging around, don't fret.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #76916
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachabibi View Post
thanks
Not too hard to track down. The wires for the tail light/license plate light are under the rear fender and I think come from the left side, under the side cover, near the Reg. / Regulator. There you should find some snap together connectors. Turn signals wires are there too ... separate from tail light, IIRC. Trace them down and try to figure out which are which for what!

But I would start by removing the tail light lens and possibly the whole tail light assembly: Inspect bulb, bulb socket and wiring. Trace wires back to connectors mentioned above. Look for corrosion, rust. Clean and apply di-lectric grease to all connection points and bulb socket. Bulb is a DUAL filament bulb. Perhaps the Running light filament is burnt out? Brake light filament still OK? Move connectors around to induce intermittent state and to help identify the fault.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #76917
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpet
3/4 covered airbox is the same as stock snorkel removed or a different hole size?
About the same as simply having the snorkel removed from a stock air box (which is why I'm thinking about buying your stock air box, if you still have it and want to sell it ).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaped
If you looking to increase HP you would need to increase main jet size with an open airbox.

I think your dyno run clearly shows that. On course you would get no were near 60 MPG if you did.

I run with side cover removed, FMF muffler and 160 Dynojet Main Jet, Dynojet needle on groove #4 from the top, slide drilled.

I don't know if Factor Pro and Dynojet, jet sizes are comparable.

No dyno test but has run great for 39K + miles.
Nope, not looking to do anything else with respect to intake/exhaust. As I mentioned previously, I'd be happy with the DR in stock configuration (with respect to fuel delivery). My DR, when I acquired it, was far from stock, so I went to a simpler configuration that's easier to maintain (without going back to bone stock). 39 hp is plenty (for me).

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #76918
stretch160
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bultaco206 View Post
Just installed a Seat Concepts kit on my DR this morning. I've had one on my KLX for a year and swear by it. I have one to install on my DL, too.

I just installed the SC tall, firm on my bike. So far I am very happy. SC installs a thin layer of soft foam on top of the firm supportive foam. I've always felt like this was the best of both worlds :)

stretch160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #76919
Bultaco206
Back-to-back motos suck

Oddometer: 2,134
Very nice. My hand is still sore from the stapler.

I logged a few miles last night. Awesome upgrade.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #76920
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
They can say it flows more air, and as far as I know, they do.
On some bikes that's not the case at all.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote