Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2013, 09:16 PM   #76966
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
I did Colleen's DR Neutral safety mod today. YES...the Phillips screws were barely hand tight.

I replaced them with drilled stainless socket head Allens, blue Loctite AND safety wire. I would have just left it off but she likes the green light.

DON'T OVER LOOK YOUR NEUTRAL SAFETY GUYS, IT COULD BE A DISASTER.

Easy to take out and replace with clutch in situ. You just heat up and bend a Philips screwdriver about half inch from the tip to approx. 45 degrees, that gets the top screw out.
Then heat up and bend a long Allen key...ball end is best..same thing.

I drilled my Allens for safety wire..it's a liitle finicky putting the wire in the top bolt but nothing you can't do in five minutes and some long....long nose pliers. I even put blue Loctite on too!
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:40 PM   #76967
bluegroove
Motorcycle junkie

Oddometer: 425
Hmm... guess I better lean my bike on its side and pull off the clutch cover soon...

Anyway... SKID PLATE NOISE was mentioned a while back. Well I tried doing the silicone thing on my KTM 380 plate and it really helped. Very noticeable improvement. I plan to do it to the DR also.

You get a tube of high temp gasket maker silicone from the autoparts store.

Squeeze out the whole dang thing on the top of the skid plate (removed from bike of course) and spread a thin layer all over it with putty knife. I think I had it about 2 - 3 mm thick. Let dry overnight. Reassemble. Well worth it for me. Try to get black silicone so it doesn't look weird. Keep it very thin right by the mounting spots.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:11 AM   #76968
Chill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
Another DR650 engine that pings.Thanks for clarifying. (R+M/2) is the standard in the US, and the numbers are not comparable to RON.

Regards,

Derek
OK, thanks, that makes sense. I only have experience of the UK and Oz. Both RON. I have heard that in New Zealand the RON rating is given as a maximum rather than a minimum which makes any fuel selection completely pointless..

I found this on another site....
approximate comparison chart, these numbers can vary by as much as 2 grades

RON MON (R+M)/2
90 83 86.6
92 85 88.5
95 87 91
96 88 92
98 90 94
100 91.5 95.8
105 95 100
110 99 104.5
Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:16 AM   #76969
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,637
Quote:
Easy to take out and replace with clutch in situ. You just heat up and bend a Philips screwdriver about half inch from the tip to approx. 45 degrees, that gets the top screw out.

I drilled my Allens for safety wire..it's a liitle finicky putting the wire in the top bolt but nothing you can't do in five minutes and some long....long nose pliers. I even put blue Loctite on too!
We've done 3 and never messed with the clutch. We use one of those cheapo S-shaped screwdrivers with just a hair ground off the top. I've read some folks just use a bit out of a screwdriver kit. We used blue locktite and didn't worry with wire. Note to folks: Take out and address ONE SCREW AT A TIME. That sucker is spring-loaded and will come plumb apart on you.

Sarah
Old 05-23-2013, 04:28 AM   #76970
Slideways#96
scooter trash

Oddometer: 479
Quote:

What size allen's used? Need to do this fix myself. Will try the s shaped Phillips...

Thanks!
Slideways#96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:02 AM   #76971
blackcap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
According to Jesse at Keintech, the 48 he sells in 525 will work with the stock chain guide. I wanted his chain guide so it would stand up to rocks a little better, and he clarified that I knew I didnt need his chain guide to use the 48 tooth rear sprocket.

It is good I got his though- pretty sure I would have destroyed the stocker judging by the damage done to his after playing around in moab.
awesome, that means i can save some money and stick with the stock one. 120 000km now and never torn it off so im still happy with how this one works. then again ive never ridden moab, so maybe one day ill need a new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
It's a straight tube through the Powerbomb with holes punched in it.
thankyou sir. means we can try our hand at making one here in Malaysia. one of the local guys wants to fit one to the cafe racer hes about to start building but they dont exist for an '83 gsx 250.

Australia to Iceland on a DR650 http://oztoice.wordpress.com
and facebook https://www.facebook.com/oztoice
blackcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:23 AM   #76972
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
I remembered where someone used an innertube as a gasket that surprised me. It was for the fuel petcock. Using it for a CCT may very well melt it to the cylinder. Not one of my better recalled memories. I'll make this point in my original post.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 05-23-2013 at 06:35 AM
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:33 AM   #76973
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by greer View Post
We've done 3 and never messed with the clutch. We use one of those cheapo S-shaped screwdrivers with just a hair ground off the top. I've read some folks just use a bit out of a screwdriver kit. We used blue locktite and didn't worry with wire. Note to folks: Take out and address ONE SCREW AT A TIME. That sucker is spring-loaded and will come plumb apart on you.

Sarah
I just used a bit. My kit has a little ratchet that fits over the bit so it was no big deal to get the top screw out. I did, however, go whole hog and put in titanium (gotta save some weight!) hex bolts and safety wired them in when I put them back. Oh, the bottom screw was found on my magnetic drain plug!
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:38 AM   #76974
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slideways#96 View Post
What size allen's used? Need to do this fix myself. Will try the s shaped Phillips...

Thanks!
The factory screws are 5mm x 15mm x .8 pitch

Thanks to 2laneblacktop:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=26847

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:48 AM   #76975
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab
Unfortunately no CO traces.

Regards,

Derek
Yes Derek, you knew that. I told you I was having no luck finding a bike dyno, in Chicago-land, with CO tracing. What was I supposed to do?

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #76976
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
Yes Derek, you knew that. I told you I was having no luck finding a bike dyno, in Chicago-land, with CO tracing.
Yes. You did say it in a previous post. I saw it and promptly forgot.
Quote:
What was I supposed to do?
That's obviously for you to decide, but I would have recommended continuing/widening the search. Did you make inquiries with Factory Pro, SuperFlow and Land & Sea?

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:57 PM   #76977
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,134
Does anyone have a stock BST-40 Carb they would like to sell? I came to Seattle from the Philippines and found some parts are missing from mine, like the float weight, and the brass part of the needle value.

Please message me if you want to sell a stock BST-40.
YnotJP? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:39 PM   #76978
243Win
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by YnotJP? View Post
Does anyone have a stock BST-40 Carb they would like to sell? I came to Seattle from the Philippines and found some parts are missing from mine, like the float weight, and the brass part of the needle value.

Please message me if you want to sell a stock BST-40.
PM sent

10 State Trip 2010
2011, $1000 in the pocket, how far can we go
243Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #76979
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by YnotJP? View Post
I came to Seattle from the Philippines and found some parts are missing from mine, like the float weight, and the brass part of the needle value.
This "float weight" thing has confusion caused for a number of people. If you saw the term used in the BST40 bible, it's an incorrect term, and I'm not sure what it was originally supposed to refer to. As far as brass float-related parts, I'll assume you must be referring to the float needle seat, which is brass on BST40-equipped KTM LC4s but integral to the float assembly (and therefore plastic) on DR650s.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:35 PM   #76980
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,771
Wow, what a difference!

So a couple years ago when I bought my DR it came with a TM-40 carb, modded air box and a full FMF system. I never really liked the set up when I would ride it back to back with my buddy's DR that is all stock. Well I managed to find a BST carb and unmodified air box for cheap, and the PO gave me the stock exhaust with the bike.

So I got all the stock stuff bolted on today and took it for a test ride. Man, the bike just runs sooooo much better. It revs up much quicker, in fact I almost ran into the back end of my buddy not expecting it to accelerate that quickly. The bike just runs much smoother and the quiet exhaust is just a relief after that noisy assed FMF can.

It's actually easier to ride, especially doing some climbs on some pretty rutted out and muddy hills. With the pumper carb I seemed to always have to shift a lot more trying to keep up the revs. With the BST I can lug it and the bike will still pull. I have a feeling I'm going to see an improvement on mileage as well.

The only down side is the obvious increase in weight, but this is a pig of a bike anyway so I can live with a half dozen extra lbs.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote