User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #76981
hrspwrfiend

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
So a couple years ago when I bought my DR it came with a TM-40 carb, modded air box and a full FMF system. I never really liked the set up when I would ride it back to back with my buddy's DR that is all stock. Well I managed to find a BST carb and unmodified air box for cheap, and the PO gave me the stock exhaust with the bike.

So I got all the stock stuff bolted on today and took it for a test ride. Man, the bike just runs sooooo much better. It revs up much quicker, in fact I almost ran into the back end of my buddy not expecting it to accelerate that quickly. The bike just runs much smoother and the quiet exhaust is just a relief after that noisy assed FMF can.

It's actually easier to ride, especially doing some climbs on some pretty rutted out and muddy hills. With the pumper carb I seemed to always have to shift a lot more trying to keep up the revs. With the BST I can lug it and the bike will still pull. I have a feeling I'm going to see an improvement on mileage as well.

The only down side is the obvious increase in weight, but this is a pig of a bike anyway so I can live with a half dozen extra lbs.

Sounds to me like the TM-40 wasn't properly jetted.

Good judgment comes from bad experience ... and most of that comes from bad judgment.
hrspwrfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:13 PM   #76982
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrspwrfiend View Post
Sounds to me like the TM-40 wasn't properly jetted.
Spent 3 days messing with the jetting on the TM-40. Took 5 minutes to get the BST properly jetted.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #76983
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,133
Motolab, You just made my day. I guess I am not missing anything. I really could not figure out how that brass piece worked with the plastic part that I have, but, then I have never been able to set a digital watch either.
YnotJP? is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:41 PM   #76984
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,773
Quote:
So a couple years ago when I bought my DR it came with a TM-40 carb, modded air box and a full FMF system. I never really liked the set up when I would ride it back to back with my buddy's DR that is all stock. Well I managed to find a BST carb and unmodified air box for cheap, and the PO gave me the stock exhaust with the bike.

So I got all the stock stuff bolted on today and took it for a test ride. Man, the bike just runs sooooo much better. It revs up much quicker, in fact I almost ran into the back end of my buddy not expecting it to accelerate that quickly. The bike just runs much smoother and the quiet exhaust is just a relief after that noisy assed FMF can.

It's actually easier to ride, especially doing some climbs on some pretty rutted out and muddy hills. With the pumper carb I seemed to always have to shift a lot more trying to keep up the revs. With the BST I can lug it and the bike will still pull. I have a feeling I'm going to see an improvement on mileage as well.

The only down side is the obvious increase in weight, but this is a pig of a bike anyway so I can live with a half dozen extra lbs.
FMF's are loud,maybe their newest Q model is quieter but Id hate to have to listen to the noise all day on my DR,I have the older Q muffler on my 530 and it runs great that way,but can be heard a ways off.

With just a 14 tooth countershaft sprocket my DR will climb great and slide corners in the dirt easily,the only way a DR will keep up with a 530 is to toss both out of a plane and see which falls faster.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #76985
Slideways#96
scooter trash

Oddometer: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
The factory screws are 5mm x 15mm x .8 pitch

Thanks to 2laneblacktop:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=26847
Thank you sir!
Slideways#96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #76986
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
FMF's are loud,maybe their newest Q model is quieter but Id hate to have to listen to the noise all day on my DR,I have the older Q muffler on my 530 and it runs great that way,but can be heard a ways off.

With just a 14 tooth countershaft sprocket my DR will climb great and slide corners in the dirt easily,the only way a DR will keep up with a 530 is to toss both out of a plane and see which falls faster.
Actually 32 ft/sec/sec regardless of mass.
thump! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:06 PM   #76987
Chill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
I'm still debating the muffler issue. I've found a 2nd hand Gixer pipe but it's working out to be $400+ once I've factored in the mid pipe etc, and that's a lot considering the end result will be a 10 year old frankenstein exhaust. For that price I could....

Looking at the FMF Q4 on the procycle site... so how quiet is quiet? Does anyone have recent experience of these? Is it possible to pack them more and make them quieter? I have an FMF header already and it runs well with the STD airbox (+K&N filter) and STD carb. If I add the end pipe will it still run well or will I have to rejet? I'm a bit confused with rejetting, is it done to balance changes to the airbox and/or changes to the exhaust? I'd like to keep the airbox and carb standard if possible.
Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:13 PM   #76988
warp9man
Gravel in my Travel

Oddometer: 561
Hey guys, I couldnt stand it any longer. After listening to my DR and nearly every other DR I came across sound like the starter was a squealing pig I took one apart and found that the backside of the starter has a simple brass bushing in it that wears out. My bike had around 8k miles on it when the starter started squealing, I took it apart and greased the bushing and that worked for a while then it went back making that embarrassing sound that makes you hold your head in shame when you hit the E-buttonghead:. I couldnt take it any longer so off to the CAD program I went and came up with this little beauty.

Behold!! A new starter cap with a real sealed bearing in it for the armature shaft :

I have been running the prototype for some time now. Im pretty happy with how it turned out. A few quick mods and she going into production after the holiday.

I hope you guy's approve

This should make the starter brushes last longer and reduce the amp's needed to start the bike when your bushing is headed south.

warp9man screwed with this post 05-23-2013 at 09:36 PM
warp9man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:20 PM   #76989
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,528
Oh that's sweet Kevin!
Bet those will be real popular as most every DR squeals.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:22 PM   #76990
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill View Post
I'm still debating the muffler issue. I've found a 2nd hand Gixer pipe but it's working out to be $400+ once I've factored in the mid pipe etc, and that's a lot considering the end result will be a 10 year old frankenstein exhaust. For that price I could....

Looking at the FMF Q4 on the procycle site... so how quiet is quiet? Does anyone have recent experience of these? Is it possible to pack them more and make them quieter? I have an FMF header already and it runs well with the STD airbox (+K&N filter) and STD carb. If I add the end pipe will it still run well or will I have to rejet? I'm a bit confused with rejetting, is it done to balance changes to the airbox and/or changes to the exhaust? I'd like to keep the airbox and carb standard if possible.
just pick up one of the Busa pipes instead. They are MUCH cheaper and easier to find than the 40 GSXR muffler and Jesse's setup is that they only stick out maybe 1/2" more than the GSXR pipe. The beauty in this setup is you don't need to repack ever and the noise levels are closer to stock plus it looks stock.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:23 PM   #76991
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
Bet those will be real popular as most every DR squeals.
Only if you wash them.

I still want one...
Old 05-23-2013, 09:37 PM   #76992
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by warp9man View Post
Hey guys, I couldnt stand it any longer. After listening to my DR and nearly every other DR I came across sound like the starter was a squealing pig I took one apart and found that the backside of the starter has a simple brass bushing in it that wears out. My bike had around 8k miles on it when the starter started squealing, I took it apart and greased the bushing and that worked for a while then it went back making that embarrassing sound that makes you hold your head in shame when you hit the E-buttonghead:. I couldnt take it any longer so off to the CAD program I went and came up with this little beauty.

Behold!! A new starter cap with a real sealed bearing in for the armature shaft :

I have been running the prototype for some time now. Im pretty happy with how it turned out. A few quick mods and she going into production after the holiday. I hope you guy's approve

This should make the starter brushes last longer and reduce the amp's needed to start the bike when your bushing is headed south.
Wow! Great work! I hope you are on Vendors forum?
Good luck with it!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:52 PM   #76993
warp9man
Gravel in my Travel

Oddometer: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Wow! Great work! I hope you are on Vendors forum?
Good luck with it!
Nope not on the vendors forum yet. Guess I better get to work on that.

Thanks guys!
warp9man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:59 PM   #76994
ketur
dat stonk

Oddometer: 28
Quote:

Previous owner gave me stock exhaust, as it currently has a Two Brothers exhaust, and I'm still unsure of jetting mods. You inspire me to hurry up and put stock exhaust on and see how that feels.
ketur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:01 AM   #76995
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,435
The 2009 I recently got had carb mods. Drilled out slide, different jets, needle, cut open airbox. Kientech header/ mid-pipe. GSXR can. Air screw.

All it did was make more noise. Stumbled on take off.

I put the standard jets back in the carb, standard needle back in, covered up the airbox. New slide with one hole. I kept the air screw and exhaust mods. Installed a K&N filter.

Runs like a champ now. Smooth and no stumble on take off. It used to 'hic' after you rolled the throttle on for a tad. You had to rev it at stop lights and let the clutch fly to overcome this.

So easy to ride now. I have a 16T front with OEM rear. It topped out at 100mph showing on speedo with me sitting upright behind National Cycles screen. Also a one foot square TT 41L top box on the rack...not bad.

My normal speeds will be speed limit and a tad over, so I'm good to go.

It sure likes to go around bends I'll tell you that. It holds the line nicely and inspires confidence. You have to keep it on the boil and with the 16T front that means lower gears for tighter bends. Coming from a BMW R1150GS that ran like a diesel big rig this is a change of pace for me. The lack of torque takes some getting used to....but I love it! I thought it was a bit buzzy on the freeway with the 15T front, and I do some freeway so have to compromise.
your mileage may vary
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote