Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2013, 12:16 AM   #76996
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump! View Post
Actually 32 ft/sec/sec regardless of mass.
In a vacuum.
thetable is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:18 AM   #76997
LexTalionis
Inciteful

Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetable View Post
In a vacuum.
Damn! I was waiting till I had read to the end of the thread before posting the exact same response, and then read I had been beat!

Good call.

Lex
Old 05-24-2013, 04:54 AM   #76998
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by warp9man View Post
Nope not on the vendors forum yet. Guess I better get to work on that.

Thanks guys!
I'm interested! If the cover's as well made as the Warp9 levers on our two DRs, we'll be able to forget that little issue forever!
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:57 AM   #76999
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
FMF's are loud,maybe their newest Q model is quieter but Id hate to have to listen to the noise all day on my DR,I have the older Q muffler on my 530 and it runs great that way,but can be heard a ways off.

With just a 14 tooth countershaft sprocket my DR will climb great and slide corners in the dirt easily,the only way a DR will keep up with a 530 is to toss both out of a plane and see which falls faster.
I've got a Q4 on my KX 450F and it is actually QUIETER then the stock can. Of course there were reports that guys failed tech because the stock cans on those 09 KXF's were too loud.

Mine came with the 14 tooth CS sprocket. Never wanted to go to the stock 15 myself.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:01 AM   #77000
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill View Post
I'm still debating the muffler issue. I've found a 2nd hand Gixer pipe but it's working out to be $400+ once I've factored in the mid pipe etc, and that's a lot considering the end result will be a 10 year old frankenstein exhaust. For that price I could....

Looking at the FMF Q4 on the procycle site... so how quiet is quiet? Does anyone have recent experience of these? Is it possible to pack them more and make them quieter? I have an FMF header already and it runs well with the STD airbox (+K&N filter) and STD carb. If I add the end pipe will it still run well or will I have to rejet? I'm a bit confused with rejetting, is it done to balance changes to the airbox and/or changes to the exhaust? I'd like to keep the airbox and carb standard if possible.

LOL, I shudder to think how much money I threw away when I tossed my old stock Busa cans, back then they weren't worth the cost of shipping, I saw one on E-bay yesterday selling for $175!

Anytime you change the flow of the intake or exhaust or both you need to balance your carb to match. Actually, the K&N filter does flow more air, so you have modified your airbox.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:53 AM   #77001
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab
Yes. You did say it in a previous post. I saw it and promptly forgot.
We also chatted about it on the phone. But, with the amount of people that you speak with, I don't expect you to remember that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab
That's obviously for you to decide, but I would have recommended continuing/widening the search. Did you make inquiries with Factory Pro, SuperFlow and Land & Sea?
You gave me a few names to check and they weren't able to help. I do not think SuperFlow or Land & Sea were on the list though. I'll be honest, it would be great for research (and I'm all about that) but another $250 for a dyno run is a little steep for my budget right now. I have a few other things I need to resolve, on the DR, and some farkles I'd like to buy first. So, maybe later this year or over the Winter, if I can find a dyno that's not too far away.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:55 AM   #77002
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
The 2009 I recently got had carb mods. Drilled out slide, different jets, needle, cut open airbox. Kientech header/ mid-pipe. GSXR can. Air screw.

All it did was make more noise. Stumbled on take off.

I put the standard jets back in the carb, standard needle back in, covered up the airbox. New slide with one hole. I kept the air screw and exhaust mods. Installed a K&N filter.

Runs like a champ now. Smooth and no stumble on take off. It used to 'hic' after you rolled the throttle on for a tad. You had to rev it at stop lights and let the clutch fly to overcome this.

So easy to ride now. I have a 16T front with OEM rear. It topped out at 100mph showing on speedo with me sitting upright behind National Cycles screen. Also a one foot square TT 41L top box on the rack...not bad.

My normal speeds will be speed limit and a tad over, so I'm good to go.

It sure likes to go around bends I'll tell you that. It holds the line nicely and inspires confidence. You have to keep it on the boil and with the 16T front that means lower gears for tighter bends. Coming from a BMW R1150GS that ran like a diesel big rig this is a change of pace for me. The lack of torque takes some getting used to....but I love it! I thought it was a bit buzzy on the freeway with the 15T front, and I do some freeway so have to compromise.
your mileage may vary
Holy schmoly: 77,000 posts about changing a DR from stock to modified. Have we peaked and are we now going the other way?

Changing everything back to stock. Might just be easier to buy a new one.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:00 AM   #77003
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by warp9man
Kev, I'd be up for one of these as well, provided it doesn't cost one arm and one leg. Any ETA on when we can purchase?

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:03 AM   #77004
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
Kev, I'd be up for one of these as well, provided it doesn't cost one arm and one leg. Any ETA on when we can purchase?
I was hoping "after the Holiday" meant this weekend.

Mine squeals badly. But I just deal with it. Might want one also. Might be an easy job while I fix the CCT gasket soon.

Suzuki doesn't sell that part separately, you have to buy the whole starter. Does anyone have a source for brushes? There must be another similar starter from Japan that is the same.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:30 AM   #77005
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
The 2009 I recently got had carb mods. Drilled out slide, different jets, needle, cut open airbox. Kientech header/ mid-pipe. GSXR can. Air screw.

All it did was make more noise. Stumbled on take off.

I put the standard jets back in the carb, standard needle back in, covered up the airbox. New slide with one hole. I kept the air screw and exhaust mods. Installed a K&N filter.

Runs like a champ now. Smooth and no stumble on take off. It used to 'hic' after you rolled the throttle on for a tad. You had to rev it at stop lights and let the clutch fly to overcome this.

So easy to ride now. I have a 16T front with OEM rear. It topped out at 100mph showing on speedo with me sitting upright behind National Cycles screen. Also a one foot square TT 41L top box on the rack...not bad.

My normal speeds will be speed limit and a tad over, so I'm good to go.

It sure likes to go around bends I'll tell you that. It holds the line nicely and inspires confidence. You have to keep it on the boil and with the 16T front that means lower gears for tighter bends. Coming from a BMW R1150GS that ran like a diesel big rig this is a change of pace for me. The lack of torque takes some getting used to....but I love it! I thought it was a bit buzzy on the freeway with the 15T front, and I do some freeway so have to compromise.
your mileage may vary
That all makes good sense,but,you might find the bike will still go near or 100mph even with a 14 countershaft sprocket or the stock 15. And then acceleration is some better with the smaller CS sprocket. These bikes have a nice wide ratio gearbox and 85mph cruise is pretty easy with the stock 15 CS sprocket.
16 would be way tall for any sort of dirt riding.

Ive found mine is smoother at 80 then it is at 70,the engine likes to rev a little,that's with a 15 CS.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

These bikes DO like to bomb corners on pavemento,Ive had the suspension done and sometimes use a 19/17 wheel set for street and it works great!
Old 05-24-2013, 07:41 AM   #77006
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I've got a Q4 on my KX 450F and it is actually QUIETER then the stock can. Of course there were reports that guys failed tech because the stock cans on those 09 KXF's were too loud.

Mine came with the 14 tooth CS sprocket. Never wanted to go to the stock 15 myself.
I can see how a Q is quieter then a KX muff,a DR is vacuum cleaner quiet though and a Q is just a bit loud when new then gradually gets louder as the packing goes away.

Ive known for a while that a DR is no race bike or even a performance bike,it does what it does and no amount of $ thrown at one will make it handle even remotely like a real dirtbike. I like it quiet and Ive done everything I can think of to make the suspension work decent for dirt touring and general dualsporting. Fixing the boingers on a DR makes much more difference then drilling slides and loud exhausts,but that's nothing new. The bone stock engine on mine will push the bike past it's handling level easily,just turn the throttle.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:46 AM   #77007
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
Oh that's sweet Kevin!
Bet those will be real popular as most every DR squeals.
Mine has squealed since new,or at least at 3000 miles when I bought the thing.
Quiet would be nice.

Very zippy looking starter cap.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:00 AM   #77008
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,170
Quote:
We also chatted about it on the phone.
I thought that was before you had put the bike on the dyno.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:26 AM   #77009
warp9man
Gravel in my Travel

Oddometer: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I'm interested! If the cover's as well made as the Warp9 levers on our two DRs, we'll be able to forget that little issue forever!
Hey Emmbeede, thanks for buying our levers and im glad your happy with them. the starter cap is pretty good if i do say so, i think youll be more than happy.
it just takes 1.5 hours and 2 beers to install it ha-ha

Have a good weekend!

warp9man screwed with this post 05-24-2013 at 08:43 AM
warp9man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:28 AM   #77010
warp9man
Gravel in my Travel

Oddometer: 556
Quote:

Hey Bronco, it will be about 4 weeks and ill have them ready to go. Price......dont hold me to it but im thinking $60 ish.

ride safe man!
warp9man is offline   Reply With Quote