Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2013, 03:12 AM   #77101
scotteroni
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
I have an interesting observation since I bought a dr650 especially among my street bike riding friends. Because the bike looks more like a dirt bike than a dualsport I think they automatically assume its not suitable for a 3 hr ride on pavement or that I'm not going to be able to keep up with The pace. Five of us are going to Americade next week and every one them asked if I was taking the dr instead of cb900 as if I was little crazy. Anyone else had these type of reactions from street bike riders? Btw the dr is a blast through the twistys!
scotteroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:11 AM   #77102
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotteroni View Post
I have an interesting observation since I bought a dr650 especially among my street bike riding friends. Because the bike looks more like a dirt bike than a dualsport I think they automatically assume its not suitable for a 3 hr ride on pavement or that I'm not going to be able to keep up with The pace. Five of us are going to Americade next week and every one them asked if I was taking the dr instead of cb900 as if I was little crazy. Anyone else had these type of reactions from street bike riders? Btw the dr is a blast through the twistys!
Yep. This past weekend I rode with a good friend who belongs to the "Sport Touring MC". At the start were all big twins, Ducati's, and Interceptor, KTM SM and Duke and more. These fellas ride hot, real hot. At the end of a all day 300 miler, not once did they shake the DR loose. I was right there every time they looked in the mirrors. In fact I was able to take a few small short cuts through the woods and rejoin the route. They were slack jawed when they saw me waiting on them !
Well, until we got on the super slab at the end when we all split up. Then the faded from view
The DR is truly versatile.

At the start of a 300 mile day with the big boys:

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:39 AM   #77103
dresda
shut up and RIDE!

Oddometer: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotteroni View Post
Btw the dr is a blast through the twistys!
Yes! The twister the better. It's a very nimble bike! There is no rule saying you can only ride a DR in gravel :)

Sent via aldis lamp on Tapatalk
'....and I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen, incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant, poisoned, electric head. ' from My Pink Half of the Drainpipe by Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band.
dresda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:01 AM   #77104
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Well I decided to ditch the Utah / Ricochet bash plate. IMHO it is a poorly designed plate and obviously low cost was paramount over protection when they decided to not go all the way back to the OEM threaded bosses and use those cheap ass brackets.

These even when positioned in that very small channel in the engine case is begging to to crack the case on impact. I believe this just happened to someone here recently. I mean, if your going to produce and sell a bash plate, make it, well "bash proof" or don't bother. Yes, it will survive and protect most riders bikes, but why take that chance when you simply have other, better choices I say.
So I bought a Pat Walsh Design plate. Way better in all regards.

Rubber bushings.

Notice the rubber sandwiched above plate, an old inner tube, I cut it, folded it in half and positioned it between the frame and the plate. Just because I could.

Oh, and my oil level is not too high. The bike is just not on a even keel on the lift is all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DockingPilot screwed with this post 05-29-2013 at 06:08 AM
Old 05-29-2013, 06:25 AM   #77105
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 809
^ How do you feel about the oil filter protection on that skid plate?
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:48 AM   #77106
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpet View Post
^ How do you feel about the oil filter protection on that skid plate?
Good question. And let me say, my opinion is just that. Doesn't make it so.
But it looks like flak from the front tire will be stopped. Meaning coming in from that angle. A stone coming from dead on, meaning on the same plane as the ground, it is exposed. But the Utah plate also left some of the filter housing exposed to that trajectory as well, but to a lesser degree.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:22 AM   #77107
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Here's the shot of it ur looking for.

Boy, if I was a guy who was capable of fabricating and was inclined to do so, I see an opportunity here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DockingPilot screwed with this post 05-29-2013 at 07:41 AM
Old 05-29-2013, 08:51 AM   #77108
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,740
I also have a PWD bash plate on my DR. I plan to get the DR engine guard set (from Perry @ AMP - LINK) which includes more protection for the oil filter cover. I don't think any bash plate provides enough protection for the sides of the motor (stator cover, clutch cover or oil filter cover).

I contacted PWD to find out what alloy they use to make these plates. It's 5052. I bought a piece of 2" x 12" x .1875" (3/16) 5052 from McMaster-Carr and will have that welded onto the leading edge of the PWD plate. The extension will provide more protection from debris slung up by the front tire. IMO, PWD seems to be one of the best available for the DR. I just would like a little more coverage.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:28 AM   #77109
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketur View Post

The fork caps were insanely tight too, although maybe that's normal. Either way my hands were starting to be sore from various attemps so I added a little leverage...

You must loosen the clamp bolts before trying to take off the caps. I go so far as to spread them a bit with a stubby screwdriver before turning the wrench.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:52 AM   #77110
Mud Missile
Aventurero

Oddometer: 170
Cogent shock

[QUOTE=Rob.G;21488005]
Got home, spent the day cleaning the grime off the airbox, suspension, etc, and then installing a fancy new Cogent rear shock with their special shaft assembly and a 7.5 spring. The shock and spring feels great. I do need to do a little tweaking of the settings to get it just right. I softened the clicker on top by one click... but... how do you adjust the rebound on this thing? I don't see any other clickers anywhere. On my KLX, it's another screw thing down at the bottom. On that bike, I ended up going two clicks back on the Compression and two clicks forward on Rebound.

Also, I got a rim lock in my last Rocky Mountain ATV/MC order since I have a set of D606's to go on my spare wheelset. But I was just thinking... do the DR wheels have holes for them or will I need to drill one? If I have to drill, where should I put it? Close to the valve stem or opposite from it?

Thanks!

Rob

QUOTE]

Rob, I ordered the Mojave and I am waiting to get my hands on it to install it. I just finished reading the installation manual and the damping adjustment knob is at the bottom of the shock. You can turn it clockwise or counterclockwise to adjust it, according to the manual. How did the installation go? Any hints, comments, etc? I won't have much time to mess with it once it's delivered since I'll be heading to Mexico early June. I guess I'll be making adjustments on the go. Thanks
Old 05-29-2013, 10:58 AM   #77111
ketur
dat stonk

Oddometer: 28
Can anyone provide me with some insight on adding fork oil? Why do I see a weird syringe tool? Why isn't adding oil just a matter of dumping 565ml then calling it good?
ketur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:13 AM   #77112
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,250
Quote:
Can anyone provide me with some insight on adding fork oil? Why do I see a weird syringe tool? Why isn't adding oil just a matter of dumping 565ml then calling it good?
That's fine if you are happy with the stock air gap. The "weird syringe tool" is for fine tuning the gap.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:14 AM   #77113
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,627
Quote:
You can do that. You can also measure it from the rim of the fork top, I did on my two bikes.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:28 AM   #77114
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
...........................Finally, I change the oil, lubed the chain and went for a ride. The shock and spring feels great. I do need to do a little tweaking of the settings to get it just right. I softened the clicker on top by one click... but... how do you adjust the rebound on this thing? I don't see any other clickers anywhere. On my KLX, it's another screw thing down at the bottom. On that bike, I ended up going two clicks back on the Compression and two clicks forward on Rebound.

Thanks!

Rob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Missile View Post
Rob, I ordered the Mojave and I am waiting to get my hands on it to install it. I just finished reading the installation manual and the damping adjustment knob is at the bottom of the shock. You can turn it clockwise or counterclockwise to adjust it, according to the manual. How did the installation go? Any hints, comments, etc? I won't have much time to mess with it once it's delivered since I'll be heading to Mexico early June. I guess I'll be making adjustments on the go. Thanks
Rob, does your shock have a knob on the bottom, like the red one on my Cogent with rebound? Do you have a photo?

Mine with 32,xxx miles finally got a new 7.5 spring to handle my 180 pound weight + 30 pounds riding gear and tailbag.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:54 PM   #77115
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,864
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote