Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2013, 08:35 PM   #77206
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Load Clear View Post
Hey guys, can anyone recommend a mechanic and/or a quality fab shop in or near:
Flagstaff, AZ, Cortez/Durango, CO or Albuquerque, NM?

I am moving back out to the Navajo Rez next week. My only wrench is a hammer and I don't know the top end from an endo so, I am looking for a good shop or two.

Grifter, ER70S, Jayhawk, et al locals - I can pay in beer and whiskey so you won't have to pay taxes on it.
I'm in California ... but will help anyway I can. We've got several great DR guys in those states ... hopefully they'll chime in and can help out.
What is wrong with your bike?

(Love the Beer and Whiskey offer ... but you forgot GUNS! ...just kidding ... reminds of when in Antarctica ... the brass would check in with us over HAM radio. Before signing off they'd ask "... hey, anything you guys need down there?" Yea ... Whiskey and Guns! Somehow the big bosses were not amused.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:07 PM   #77207
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbed View Post
Brand new TM40 carb from Procycle installed middle of last year....mileage did go up on average but still swung all over the place. I got 47mpg sometimes....sometimes I got in mid 30's.

I pine sol soaked the original carb...no change. Replaced with another stock carb...no change. Rebuilt original carb...no change. Replaced with TM40...some change but still very erratic.

No carb change has fixed this...that is why I think it's not the carb.
My bike got 54 us mpg first tank after lowering the needle a notch from the 3rd groove. Got about 45 before that. That said, adding sails (wolfmans) and 50 pounds of shit has brought it back down to about 47. My first thought reading the weird behavior was a vacuum leak- like a torn boot from the carb to the head? To cause so much variance though it would have to be big, and that doesn't explain the wide range in gas mileage. Mileage variations scream carb, but you seem to have eliminated that. Maybe some issue allowing the cam timing to change thereby making you use the throttle more, but it would still be more consistent (cam chain jumping a tooth). The ping screams lean or too advanced- maybe a fluke problem with the cdi? Your issues do sound strange indeed..
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:31 PM   #77208
blackcap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead_pete View Post
Posted this in the Aus section and keep forgetting about this thread Thinking others may be able to help too.

Yet another set up question.....

One of the last jobs to be done for the DR is getting power for the following up at the bars.

Heated grips
GPS
LED Spotlights
Cigarette lighter - marine version?

Any advice on the best way to do this? Was thinking of a fused power source from the battery via the ignition switch to some sort of switch block and then running each of them off that? Having never done this sort of thing Im guessing there is a better way to do this.
something like this is nice if you can afford it and find somewhere to locate it. means you only have one extra wire from the battery to the front of the bike, can use properly rated fuses for each device and can easily choose if you want each thing running off switched or constant voltage.

http://www.fuzeblocks.com/

Australia to Iceland on a DR650 http://oztoice.wordpress.com
blackcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:36 PM   #77209
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,292
You can get a three fuse block from many auto parts stores for $10. I got mine from O'Reilly. I think Pep-Boys have them too.
Put it under you headlight fairing, one wire to the battery or pick up a live wire in the mix up there.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

DMV paperwork/room rental/motorbike/vehicle buying/Travelers help
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:58 PM   #77210
Chill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill View Post
Had a look through the window of a local dealer last night and spotted what i think was a new DR with a different muffler. Could this be the first of a redesign? It had what looked like the standard heat sheild and seemed to be stock but a lot smaller that STD. I got a pic I need to host it somewhere and link to it. Is anyone else aware of this?
Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:04 PM   #77211
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,345
How new can it be considering it's already plated?

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:06 PM   #77212
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,292
Looks a lot like a Staintune

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

DMV paperwork/room rental/motorbike/vehicle buying/Travelers help
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:19 PM   #77213
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead_pete View Post
Any advice on the best way to do this? Was thinking of a fused power source from the battery via the ignition switch to some sort of switch block and then running each of them off that? Having never done this sort of thing Im guessing there is a better way to do this.
http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Wi...3_circuit.html

I'm a fan of Eastern Beaver stuff. Ready to go, your choice of fused circuits, etc. Yeah, you can build one but I'd rather not experiment with the electrical since I'm just not comfortable with my skill - or lack of - level.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:42 AM   #77214
Chill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
New but sold I guess, that's pretty standard here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
Yes, I thought that it looks like a Staintune with the STD heatshield. It hasn't really come out in the pic but I could see behind the side panel where it went down to join the header pipe it wasn't like an aftermarket pipe it had a CAT on the end of it like a smaller version of the original. And it's not listed as a used bike on their website so was assuming it was new.
Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:07 AM   #77215
Carl Childers
Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer: 322
Quote:

I am moving back out to the Navajo Rez next week. My only wrench is a hammer and I don't know the top end from an endo so, I am looking for a good shop or two.

Grifter, ER70S, Jayhawk, et al locals - I can pay in beer and whiskey so you won't have to pay taxes on it.
Wish I could help you with this but I work on my own bikes, I'd think there'd have to be a decent shop or two in Albuquerque, I can't vouch for any in Taos or Santa Fe.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:12 AM   #77216
scottbed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
I live in Newton, MA and I have a friend who used to be a mechanic. We have a couple of DR350's in my garage that are undergoing some "optimizations". I may be picking up a DR650 this weekend as well.

This may be silly - I am no mechanic. I had a similar problem with a torn petcock diaphargm on my Honda Superhawk. The bike would smell of gas. It would run rich. I would get much worse fuel mileage as well (30mpg). It was a $20 fix rebuilding the petcock which was buried under the tank on the superhawk. Mileage immediately improved from 30mpg to about 40mpg. Does this bike have it's original petcock? You can find a cheap new aftermarket or Yamaha petcock (I think Raptor works) to check. Just a thought
I have the Raptor (bought from Procycle).

Does your friend want some work?
scottbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:16 AM   #77217
scottbed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
My bike got 54 us mpg first tank after lowering the needle a notch from the 3rd groove. Got about 45 before that. That said, adding sails (wolfmans) and 50 pounds of shit has brought it back down to about 47. My first thought reading the weird behavior was a vacuum leak- like a torn boot from the carb to the head? To cause so much variance though it would have to be big, and that doesn't explain the wide range in gas mileage. Mileage variations scream carb, but you seem to have eliminated that. Maybe some issue allowing the cam timing to change thereby making you use the throttle more, but it would still be more consistent (cam chain jumping a tooth). The ping screams lean or too advanced- maybe a fluke problem with the cdi? Your issues do sound strange indeed..
Replaced the boot....

I almost picked up a cdi on eBay but I have a 2nd DR now so I can use that bike to troubleshoot the first one. I just have zero time with work/kids and training for upcoming Bike MS ride.

Hmmm, that gives me an idea....maybe I'll take all the entire intake/exhaust parts from DR #2 and put it on DR #1 and see if mileage stays same. If it does, then I think you could say it's either electrical or the engine and I'll then move the CDI and ignition coils over and see if it stays the same. I would think at that point I can safely say it's the engine. Otherwise, I'll know basically what part 'fixed' it and can replace that on DR #1. I am still willing to pay someone in the Boston area to do this...just too busy right now.

scottbed screwed with this post 05-31-2013 at 05:21 AM
scottbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:09 AM   #77218
JayHawk
Grandpa to 3

Oddometer: 124
Quote:

The only mechanic that I can vouch for is Dillon @ Zen Moto in North Scottsdale. Good luck with your move, there's some great riding out there.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:25 AM   #77219
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
Quote:
New but sold I guess, that's pretty standard here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
Quote:
Yes, I thought that it looks like a Staintune with the STD heatshield. It hasn't really come out in the pic but I could see behind the side panel where it went down to join the header pipe it wasn't like an aftermarket pipe it had a CAT on the end of it like a smaller version of the original. And it's not listed as a used bike on their website so was assuming it was new.
Isn't that a DRZ250 tail light? And, it looks like the turn signals are mounted directly to the rear fender. Lastly, the license plate support looks totally different from o.e. I'm thinking that's a modified DR and not brand new.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:55 AM   #77220
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
Isn't that a DRZ250 tail light? And, it looks like the turn signals are mounted directly to the rear fender. Lastly, the license plate support looks totally different from o.e. I'm thinking that's a modified DR and not brand new.
seat looks suspicious too. I think Australia gets the proper tail light as standard fare.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote