Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2013, 11:03 AM   #77206
rtwdoug
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,628
Howdy Guys
I have a DR question
Im in Bulgaria, & borrowed a 97 DR650 for a friend to ride. I rode it today, & its got a weird vibration when going down the road. it comes & goes, seems to be worse around 3500-4500 rpm.
I had a klr break a doohicky in africa once, & its sorta like that, except for the way it comes & goes. Riding along at 55mph in 5th gear, it lasts 5-15 seconds, then smooths out about the same amount, then comes back.
When I got back, I checked all of the engine mounting bolts, & checked everything good for cracks. It all seems ok.
I read that pre 96 models had a chain counterbalancer, but this is a 97.
However, its a UK model bike, would it be the same as a US model?

any ideas about what could cause it?

Thanks, Doug

rtwdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:21 AM   #77207
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,560
Hi Doug,

I have a '97 but they're all pretty much the same from '96 on (at least here in the US). I would think that '97 UK model would be the same as my '97 US model. Does it look something like this:

That's my DR before it got a "refreshening" (and, yes, it's Mike's old DR).

Could it be a wheel out of balance? I get that some times and suspect the front wheel was balanced incorrectly or has thrown a wheel weight.

Does the vibration occur only while moving? Or, will it happen if you hold the engine @ 4K rpm while standing still?

Do different gears have the same effect @ 4K rpm or is it only in fifth gear?

How bad is the vibration? Seriously scary or mild enough to only obscure your view out of the mirrors?

There are some issues with blowing up third gear but I think that occurs in bikes in the 2001-2005 model years.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:58 AM   #77208
rtwdoug
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,628
its engine vibration for sure, I tried to isolate it to see if I could find where its coming from, but it seems to do it in all gears. its not real bad, but it made my butt numb. then it smoths out so much it feels like it stopped running (but it doesnt) Im not sure how the counter balancer works, or if its something adjustable.
the bike looks just like yours.
Thanks, Doug

rtwdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:41 PM   #77209
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwdoug
its engine vibration for sure, I tried to isolate it to see if I could find where its coming from, but it seems to do it in all gears. its not real bad, but it made my butt numb. then it smooths out so much it feels like it stopped running (but it doesn't I'm not sure how the counter balancer works, or if its something adjustable.
Thanks, Doug
OK, well, that's a little beyond my knowledge of the DR as well. So, I'll wait for someone else to chime to explain how the counter balancer works and if it's adjustable. Sorry I couldn't be any more help. I would imagine you'll have quite a few answers by morning (your time). Good luck and be safe.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:10 PM   #77210
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
OK, well, that's a little beyond my knowledge of the DR as well. So, I'll wait for someone else to chime to explain how the counter balancer works and if it's adjustable. Sorry I couldn't be any more help. I would imagine you'll have quite a few answers by morning (your time). Good luck and be safe.
Counterbalancer is gear driven. Not adjustable. You might check the exhaust system mounts.
thump! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:42 PM   #77211
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwdoug View Post
its engine vibration for sure, I tried to isolate it to see if I could find where its coming from, but it seems to do it in all gears. its not real bad, but it made my butt numb. then it smoths out so much it feels like it stopped running (but it doesnt) Im not sure how the counter balancer works, or if its something adjustable.
Thanks, Doug
Does it do it under heavier acceleration?
Could be the chain.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:23 PM   #77212
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Howdy Guys
I have a DR question
Im in Bulgaria, & borrowed a 97 DR650 for a friend to ride. I rode it today, & its got a weird vibration when going down the road. it comes & goes, seems to be worse around 3500-4500 rpm.

Thanks, Doug

New cush drive rubbers in the rear hub have cured many vibrating DRs.

Good luck!
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:25 PM   #77213
dresda
shut up and RIDE!

Oddometer: 958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
There are some issues with blowing up third gear but I think that occurs in bikes in the 2001-2005 model years.
Eeeeek! At what sort of mileage would this blow up occur? Do they all do it?
'....and I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen, incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant, poisoned, electric head. ' from My Pink Half of the Drainpipe by Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band.
dresda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:28 PM   #77214
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Thanks, Doug
Hey Doug!
This is pretty common on these bikes. I'm guessing it's one or more things ... all of which are cheap and easy to fix.

1. worn chain and sprockets. riders neglect the front sprocket. really causes a bad feeling through out the bike. Same with badly worn chain. Get the best quality chain and sprockets you can find. OEM Suzuki make really good, long lasting spockets. DID chain is best .... 525 X Ring please!

2. Cush drive rubbers. Pull rear wheel. Replace Cush rubbers or stuff cut pieces on inner tube as a temp fix. REally smooths our DR drive line.

3. Check wheel bearings ... especially rear Hubb bearings (there are three on the dR ... two for the wheel, one for the Hubb. Have a feel.

Come back after you've checked these things, let us know.

(PS: followed many of your rides ... fantastic stuff Doug! )
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:04 PM   #77215
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Doug,

Check and make sure the motor mounts are tight.

EDIT never mind I see you already checked.

I had a weird vibration once - fixed it by replacing chain and sprocket and going back to 525 with bolt on front sprocket vs using retaining clip.

Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Hey Doug!
This is pretty common on these bikes. I'm guessing it's one or more things ... all of which are cheap and easy to fix.

1. worn chain and sprockets. riders neglect the front sprocket. really causes a bad feeling through out the bike. Same with badly worn chain. Get the best quality chain and sprockets you can find. OEM Suzuki make really good, long lasting spockets. DID chain is best .... 525 X Ring please!

2. Cush drive rubbers. Pull rear wheel. Replace Cush rubbers or stuff cut pieces on inner tube as a temp fix. REally smooths our DR drive line.

3. Check wheel bearings ... especially rear Hubb bearings (there are three on the dR ... two for the wheel, one for the Hubb. Have a feel.

DR650 - Eyes open all of the time

Escaped screwed with this post 05-31-2013 at 06:12 PM
Escaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:13 PM   #77216
Hypnotizedd
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I have a 1998 DR650 that needs a top end rebuild, will i be able to drop this 94 cylinder and piston in it for the rebuild?
Hypnotizedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:57 PM   #77217
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotizedd View Post
I have a 1998 DR650 that needs a top end rebuild, will i be able to drop this 94 cylinder and piston in it for the rebuild?
Nope. Totally different engine.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:00 PM   #77218
BadDogMax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Hey Doug!

#2 worked for me... it turned out that worn cush drive rubbers were making a vibration exactly like you describe.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:07 PM   #77219
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by dresda View Post
Eeeeek! At what sort of mileage would this blow up occur? Do they all do it?
If you live in Australia, 18-30,000km, rest of the world, 30-60,000km. All years.

The good news is you've got probably as much chance of it happening as winning the lottery.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:35 PM   #77220
Hypnotizedd
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Nope. Totally different engine.
Will any other model years fit other than the 1998 engine, would u buy chance know where i could find the cylinder and piston kit for a 98? dr650?
Hypnotizedd is offline   Reply With Quote