Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2013, 01:44 AM   #77221
HackFlipper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Pro Moto Billet Saddlebag Guards...

Hey Inmates,

So I am looking at adding these saddle bag guards to my DR. Any input about them? How well does the one on the pipe side keep the bag clear? I've reworked my signals so they dont protrude past the grab handles...

Thanks,

Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Photos of the Pro Moto Billet rack and saddle bag guards from Procycle installed. Quality stuff.

Rear:

Left:

Right:

DR650SE PMB saddle bag guard

Also, a 12v socket with 10A blade-type fuse, for my GPS and air compressor:

Not sure I like the location, but it'll do until I figure out a better one.
1975 Honda CT90
HackFlipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:27 AM   #77222
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,167
I'm assuming you already have the PMB rack. I do and could never figure out the workability of their saddlebag guards. I have smaller signals too but the guards just look minimal at best. I passed and ended up with Wolfman racks which are industrial strength and may be more than you're looking for.

Hopefully someone posts some real world experience.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:20 AM   #77223
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter
I'm assuming you already have the PMB rack. I do and could never figure out the workability of their saddlebag guards. I have smaller signals too but the guards just look minimal at best. I passed and ended up with Wolfman racks which are industrial strength and may be more than you're looking for.

Hopefully someone posts some real world experience.
I was thinking the same thing. They look a little small and too far back. The saddle bags would have to be centered over the rear rack. I see lots of bags straddle the rear portion of the seat which means they would lay on the side covers.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:12 AM   #77224
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
I was thinking the same thing. They look a little small and too far back. The saddle bags would have to be centered over the rear rack. I see lots of bags straddle the rear portion of the seat which means they would lay on the side covers.
I really like my DirtRacks set. Only $179 for the racks and a carrier.

Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #77225
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by HackFlipper View Post
Hey Inmates, So I am looking at adding these saddle bag guards to my DR. Any input about them? How well does the one on the pipe side keep the bag clear? I've reworked my signals so they dont protrude past the grab handles...
Thanks,
Terry
Hey Terry,
Seems to me the Suzuki grab handles could interfere with the guards and could make hanging panniers a challenge. I've used several different set ups on my DR. Do you have pics of your re-located turn signals? possibly CUT off the grab handles? Really all depends on WHICH panniers you use and how you chose to hang them.

I have the Suzuki rear rack which has the signals more rearward and no grab handles.
The PMB guard on the RIGHT side may not cover enough if your bag hands down too far ... that muffler gets pretty HOT! If you use a small pannier that stays UP very high, may be OK. My panniers ride lower and more forward. (I have 3 different sets of panniers, ones shown are pretty BIG. so YMMV on this.)
The LEFT side PMB looks OK but the signal and grab bar may be in the way of pannier bag?

Here are a few pics of my right side Happy Trails rack ... and my home made left side guard ... which is just elec. conduit. My set up is very funky ... I am not a craftsman ... but this set up has worked during 50,000 miles of hard use both ON and OFF road with a fully loaded DR650.

Happy trails rack with Suzuki rear rack ... note were signals end up.
Pannier goes back to turn signal, hangs low and forward. That is Plywood on the Suzuki rack to widen it to carry a top duffel bag.

Simple left side solution. Lots of other options will work here. The idea is stabilize the bag and keep it out of the wheel.

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 06-02-2013 at 11:34 AM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:40 PM   #77226
stretch160
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 552
Only $150 shipped if you buy it off eBay. Same seller.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post

stretch160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #77227
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch160 View Post
Only $150 shipped if you buy it off eBay. Same seller.
Good catch! What a deal.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #77228
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
DR is getting a mate soon!

Well I went back up to dealer Bolt demo ride to look at it again and the guys remembered me and let me take it out solo they told me bring it back in an hour, so I road it all over the place! so it looks like I will be getting one to park next to the DR. Very smooth bike when I got back on the DR at the first stop light I almost fell over the ground was way down there!
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #77229
duckslider
****in' spot on!

Oddometer: 3,030
Good set up Grifter...........what rear tyre izat in the last pic?

Wash it? It's a workhorse,not a bloody showpony.
duckslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:47 PM   #77230
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,167
I'm gonna put money on a Shinko 244 or Kenda K270, near new. They have basically the same tread pattern but I've found the Shinko to feel as if it has a little stiffer compound, hence less sensitive to PSI changes.

Not much money, mind you........

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:52 PM   #77231
panhead_pete
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
I have one of those Pro-Moto alloy racks pictured above and the Wolfman pannier brackets as Im running their bags. All bolted up using the available spaces although I did need to use an old socket as one.

Sorry no close up pics.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #77232
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,258
Quote:

I ordered the rear rack and saddlebag racks off ebay last week. Hopefully I have them by next weekend.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:30 PM   #77233
HackFlipper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Thanks for the reply Grifter. Here is how I am thinking of mounting my saddlebags. As you can see, right side roast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Hey Terry,
Seems to me the Suzuki grab handles could interfere with the guards and could make hanging panniers a challenge. I've used several different set ups on my DR. Do you have pics of your re-located turn signals? possibly CUT off the grab handles? Really all depends on WHICH panniers you use and how you chose to hang them.

I have the Suzuki rear rack which has the signals more rearward and no grab handles.
The PMB guard on the RIGHT side may not cover enough if your bag hands down too far ... that muffler gets pretty HOT! If you use a small pannier that stays UP very high, may be OK. My panniers ride lower and more forward. (I have 3 different sets of panniers, ones shown are pretty BIG. so YMMV on this.)
The LEFT side PMB looks OK but the signal and grab bar may be in the way of pannier bag?

Here are a few pics of my right side Happy Trails rack ... and my home made left side guard ... which is just elec. conduit. My set up is very funky ... I am not a craftsman ... but this set up has worked during 50,000 miles of hard use both ON and OFF road with a fully loaded DR650.

Happy trails rack with Suzuki rear rack ... note were signals end up.
Pannier goes back to turn signal, hangs low and forward. That is Plywood on the Suzuki rack to widen it to carry a top duffel bag.

Simple left side solution. Lots of other options will work here. The idea is stabilize the bag and keep it out of the wheel.

1975 Honda CT90
HackFlipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:27 PM   #77234
PPCLI-Jim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Good catch! What a deal.

He musta replaced the mounts I got off him . He's using that DR in all his shots I just got a set of the Happy Trails style Mounts. I have had a set of 45 liter H.P. panniers waiting for 3 months or more. Waiting to get a mount for months then Boom there is is, ordered a set on Monday and friday afternoon I had them. . Saturday A.M. install with no issues. Quality looks great. and a great fit too.

http://www.youtube.com/user/spudhead/videos?view=0 my youtube channel
PPCLI-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:11 PM   #77235
dentedvw
Where did I put that

Oddometer: 2,152
I also have the Pro Moto Billet top and side racks, they are really fancy, but don't leave anywhere to put the turn signals. I haven't figured out what the long term solution is yet. When I got it, they were attached with zip ties, and they still are, a month later.
I will figure it out soon, hopefully.