Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2013, 07:41 AM   #77311
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
Measured where and by what method?Dynojet HP are very optimistic.

Regards,

Derek
Dynojet HP is very optimistic, but it's the standard around here. You could very well say other dyno methods are very pessimistic. Unless you get everyone to dyno on the same machine, at the same place, with the same weather conditions, it's all pretty much subjective.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:45 AM   #77312
maynard911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by psmcd View Post
I'm thinking of trying the TPI super low beam bulb. Anybody have experience with these?
http://www.tpimotorcycleparts.com/on...product_id=593
Anybody know the wattage on this, from the T6080 part number I'm assuming 60/80w
Old 06-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #77313
Krusty ...
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Krusty: Keeper of all that is good.

Thanks K-man.

Shucks... t'weren't nuthin. Y'all do the work ...
Old 06-04-2013, 10:01 AM   #77314
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
some more DR related things from the jungles of Borneo

Wow-Zers! Excellent pics! Probably THE MOST Knarly conditions I've ever seen a DR in! Kudos! Very impressive you were able to slog through all that on the DR650. I've done a bit of mud ... not so easy on a loaded DR!

What happened to the Chain?
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:07 AM   #77315
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by canoli View Post
3) Sell the DR and my truck for a KTM and upgrade my health & life insurance.
Canoli
I really don't believe the DR650 is the right tool for that race. If the pit stops aren't too far apart ... I'd go for a 250 Two Stroke. 2nd hand Two Strokes are pretty inexpensive here in the USA. ($2000 to $3000 USD for a stunner)

If you go KTM, find an old 400 that's not to beat. Try to find one already set up for Desert racing. ... and NO MATTER WHAT ... get to the Gym! Mountain Bike riding is excellent cross training, it's fun (sort of!) and really will toughen you up in no time.

Good luck!
Old 06-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #77316
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Wow-Zers! Excellent pics! Probably THE MOST Knarly conditions I've ever seen a DR in! Kudos! Very impressive you were able to slog through all that on the DR650. I've done a bit of mud ... not so easy on a loaded DR!

What happened to the Chain?
You must come ride with us in W. Mass during the spring.

just as the frost starts coming out of the ground.(notice the telephone pole, this is a town road)

Last year while Pre-Riding for our May event, I put my foot down to make a u-turn after I missed a corner and almost got pulled off my bike.

Not takin' anything away from the rider in that pic though. That's a tough road there and in a far away place.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers

Rusty Rocket screwed with this post 06-04-2013 at 12:33 PM
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #77317
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmarkart View Post
From the article... "The Lineaweaver Flat Tracker is powered by a Rotax 600cc Super Single said to produce 80hp at around 4000rpm"

"said to produce" is an interesting phrase. I suppose it is possible, but that little caveat makes me raise an eyebrow.

Nice looking bike though, love it all except those wheels. Give me some spokes! Preferably painted ones so I never have to clean 'em.
Dale Lineaweaver lives across the Bay from me. He rebuilt a motor for me years ago. Good mechanic, race bike builder.

I've seen his race bike at short track races. Its fast ... but 80 HP? I'd like to see that data: Put it on a real Dyno ... like the Eddy Current. I'd bet it tops out at 65 to 70 HP max. The latest KTM's claim 70 HP but that is HP is crank ... NOT the rear wheel HP.

And its true what Albie says ... Dynojet Dyno's are very optimistic. Just talk to Eddy Current Dyno Pioneer, Marc Salvisburg at Factory Pro. He is my neighboor so I've heard all his rants on this! (in one Ear, out the other) He's a real "mad scientist".
Old 06-04-2013, 10:29 AM   #77318
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
Plenty of tuned Husaberg 650s with 70+ hp.

Mine with only exhaust and carb tuning is 63 Dynojet Hp at the knobs.
An Eddy Current Dyno would rate that at about 55 HP.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:31 AM   #77319
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty ... View Post
It is done ...
Thanks Krusty ... Numbers did a nice job on the Loc tie info. (thanks Mate!) Great source for Noobs to be able to get up to speed with facts on the stuff.
All Good! BTW ... Number's post went to the DR650 Index thread.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #77320
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin 3rd View Post
The Rotax in the BMW F650 outputs around 45hp at 7500 revs. It CAN be built to produce 80+hp, but no way it will be at 4000RPM, more like 9000, and it will not be as reliable.
The DS650 quad has a similar Rotax motor. If you pull out all the stops amazing things are possible but definitely not at 4000 RPM.

Quoted from the Falicon home page:

Quote:
Are you looking for that perfectly custom built racing engine for your Rotax DS 650? If so, you're in the right place. Oldham Machine Works partnered with Falicon to produce the most powerful and reliable stroker/ big more motor on the market. Strong, lightweight and capable of making huge power, the DS 650 makes a great dune/trail engine or all out drag race/hill shooter with this set-up.
Quote:
] Falicon developed a +5mm (**770cc), +8mm (**800cc), and a +10mm (**815cc) stroker crank specifically for OMW. A complete package kit is offered through OMW that includes: necessary case modifications, head porting with upgraded components, stroker crank, three different race cams to choose from, and big bore cylinder/ piston kit. We wanted to know how big we could go, and after much development and testing, a 100mm stroker was designed. That's a +17mm stroker! Combined with a 108mm bore, this DS 650 produces 916cc's! Yes, 916cc's! Below are two dyno charts. One shows peak horsepower and the other shows peak torque. ** Displacement calculated with 105.5mm bore.
PEAK HORSEPOWER
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #77321
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
You must come ride with us in W. Mass during the spring. just as the frost starts coming out of the ground.

Last year while Pre-Riding for our May event, I put my foot down to make a u-turn after I missed a corner and almost got pulled off my bike.

Not takin' anything away from the rider in that pic though. That's a tough road there and in a far away place.
Sorry man, I'm not a "Mud Man". "far away place"? uh, yea ... and if you're stuck there you might end up as a Shrunken head souvenir ... or in somebodies Stew Pot!
(PS ... go back and DOWN SIZE THAT PIC ... 3 TIMES TOO BIG!!!)
Old 06-04-2013, 10:47 AM   #77322
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
Plenty of tuned Husaberg 650s with 70+ hp.

Mine with only exhaust and carb tuning is 63 Dynojet Hp at the knobs.
If you watch a Speedway race,and see how fast those 500 singles are,then wonder if a tuned enduro bike can hang with that?

Very doubtful,and those Speedway bikes are an honest mid 60HP for a good one.

But I would love to see a reliable dyno chart showing a 650 single making 70+ HP. Probably just under 50 stock so adding 20HP is a bit of a trick.

I know everything is faster in OZ.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:04 AM   #77323
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Dynojet HP is very optimistic, but it's the standard around here. You could very well say other dyno methods are very pessimistic.
HP is determined by simple measurements and simple math. For a given measuring location (i.e. crank, output shaft, tire), there is therefore a correct as well as an incorrect result. Mark Dobeck has also admitted publicly that Dynojet measurements are incorrect and why. See this humorously titled article: http://www.moto-lab.com/Dobeck.pdf.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:54 AM   #77324
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
HP is determined by simple measurements and simple math. For a given measuring location (i.e. crank, output shaft, tire), there is therefore a correct as well as an incorrect result. Mark Dobeck has also admitted publicly that Dynojet measurements are incorrect and why. See this humorously titled article: http://www.moto-lab.com/Dobeck.pdf.

Regards,

Derek
So Dyno-Jet HP ratings are largely just a way to measure more against less and not so much an accurate HP rating.
That makes sense I guess.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #77325
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,799
I've only ever had bikes dynoed for tuning. Never cared about the bragging rights to biggest numbers.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote