Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
Need more liquid storage?

The story, sort of, is here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=871563

Philth, in case you didn't know is Motorbikin:
http://www.motorbikin.com.au/index.html
Did you fabricate them yourself? Also, it seems that the pipe is lower than stock, is that correct?
Old 06-17-2013, 05:48 AM   #77672
Carl Childers
Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer: 322
Quote:

Scotch and water?
Old 06-17-2013, 07:17 AM   #77673
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by rand0mlychrisUK
Did you fabricate them yourself? Also, it seems that the pipe is lower than stock, is that correct?
I would say; Yes and Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Childers
Scotch and water?
Victoria Bitters?

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:18 AM   #77674
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
Corbin is usually more comfy than stock, but the seatpan is heavy and inflexible. There are other options out now that are as comfy, lighter, cheaper, narrower up front, and fit more tanks. Corbin is a choice for a streetbike, IMO. On a dualsport that gets ridden like a dirtbike, there are better options.
Yeah, I couldn't live with the stock seat. I've had the Corbin for about 57,000 miles now. Longest day 705 miles. Longest trip 5100+ miles in 15 days (two of which were non-riding/low mileage days). Seat is not a limiting factor. If the Sargent was available then, though, I may have bought one instead. Corbin is heavy.

Right now I have two Corbins (DR and ZRX) and two Sargents (KLX250 and FJR1300) and find them comparable in comfort.
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:32 AM   #77675
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 553
Quick Screens for Bikes question

Thanks for the seat feedback ... now on to screens. I'm leaning to Screens for Bikes. Does anyone with this screen have recommendation on tint color - for function, not looks? I'm inclined to just get clear but I'm wondering if there's any functional reason to get a tint such as light smoke .... to reduce reflections, show dirt and bugs less, etc. I have one of each on my other two bikes, but they're positioned much further away (in one case) and below my line of sight (the other).

I suppose if there's anyone that hates their SFB screen, I'd also like to hear their recommendation. But I've gone through a lot of threads and it's all positive.

-dman
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:37 AM   #77676
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Any self respecting poor man would be using a Hefty garbage bag and old rope or leather belt to secure Dave.
Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The guy said he was poor, not on a KLR.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:51 AM   #77677
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
I made a post yesterday, which I went back and deleted because it was kinda pointless. Here's a new version of it with better info.

I have an electrical problem; I'm suspecting the CDI, but I'm hoping it's something simpler like a short or bad connection.

Fortunately, I have a Trailtech Vapor, which has a tachometer, or I might not have been able to figure out what's going on. I have it set to flash the yellow light at 7000 RPM and the red light at 7500 RPM.

While putting around yesterday in 1st gear, maybe 15 mph, and even after I shifted to second, I noticed the bar graph tach bouncing up and down, from idle to around 8000 RPM. Likewise, both the yellow and red lights were blinking off and on pretty rapidly. Once I would give it some gas, like to accelerate onto the road, it would start cutting out really bad. I realized that it thought it was hitting the rev limiter and therefore cutting fuel... yet in actuality, it wasn't even close to redline.

What would cause this situation?? When did my wiring clean-up, I made sure everything was connected properly, and I used dialectric grease on everything. I even re-wrapped the tach pickup on the spark plug wire, since it looked like it was getting loose. I checked and re-checked everything.

Could a coil going bad do this? The regulator was replaced a year ago; it's that aftermarket one ProCycle sells. It's been fine. It also has their high-output 250W stator.

The voltmeter I had wired into the connector behind the headlight was doing weird stuff too. I was seeing voltages of 9-10v, and then it might start showing normal 13-14v numbers, and then it'd show 16-17v. In any order. Like, one time I'd start the bike and all I'd see is 9-10. Or I'd start it and it'd start out normal, then jump to 16-17. I put my meter on the battery itself and it showed 14.3v, which is consistent with what I had seen in the past when I had a voltmeter connected directly to the battery, with the high-output stator. The battery is one of those Deka ETX9's that I put in about two years ago.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Rob
Hey Rob,
These sorts of problems are tricky. Many shops just start replacing components until they randomly hit the jackpot. Not real scientific. But even using Suzuki manual ... measuring Ohm readings the way they suggest, don't always reveal the problem. Been there, done that.

At a guess ... I would look closely at that "loose nut behind the wheel" has done to the bike recently. Usually it's a "new" and "improved" component that ends up being the problem.

If you think any aftermarket company makes a better Stator or Regulator/Rectifier than Suzuki (or Denso or Kokusan or whomever make them for Suzuki) YOU ARE DREAMING!

I would proceed this way:
1. remove Vapor, return all wiring to stock. Make sure it's right. Test ride.
2. Still no Joy? Replace Reg/Rectifier with a "known good" unit. Any luck?
3. If not, Go back to your original, stock Stator.

That's all I can come up with. Triple check everything you've modified regards wiring, connections and installations. Too much Dilectric grease can BLOCK current, so very light application is all that's needed.

Make sure all connections are Clean and Tight.
Good LUCK!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #77678
past_tense
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Seal popped out and dumped the oil

The countershaft seal popped out on a 2001 DR650 this weekend while traveling on a remote forest service road. I'm not sure when exactly it happened. I wasn't aware of any issues until I slowed way down for a sharp turn and could smell the oil. The engine did not seize or make any horrid noises. No oil was visable in the window no matter how far I tipped it. After I got help in the form of a trailer we backtracked to see if we could tell when it started to leak and how far I may have ridden with super low or no oil. It is hard to say but all indications are that it was maybe as far as five miles.

Once we had the bike back and took off the sprocket it was clear the seal wasn't just dripping, but rather pretty much dumping the oil.

With little to lose at this point and as a way to guage the potential damage we refilled the crankcase, reinstalled the seal and ran it for a few minutes. I wanted to get an idea of what was in there. The drained oil has shiney metal specks and some fiberous-looking pieces that I'm assuming are clutch material. The oil filter has the same shiney specks in the deep folds, but the is no evidence of larger debris.

The engine fired right up when we ran the 'oil test' and I just can't say with any certainty that it is much noisier than before. It definately does not make any terrible 'warning sign' noises.

So, what should I plan on replacing to get me back to a place where I feel comfortable riding the back country?

Any help/suggestions is greatly appreciated.
past_tense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #77679
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by past_tense View Post
So, what should I plan on replacing to get me back to a place where I feel comfortable riding the back country?

Put some new oil in it and run it. The clutch might not even be shot if you weren't using it a lot. i.e., trail riding and slipping it.

I don't think you hurt it at all..... just an opinion of course. get a seal keeper first from ProCycle or Suzuki.

Try it first and probably save some money.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:57 AM   #77680
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
The guy said he was poor, not on a KLR.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #77681
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by past_tense View Post
It's likely that you dodged a bullet and didn't do significant damage. Lack of oil will usually harm the cam and rockers first. if that happened you would hear new and excessive valve noises. Everything else in the motor will survive for quite a while on the oil residue.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:39 AM   #77682
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,292
Quote:

The Austrailians I tell ya! Bad ass fabricators. Lots of good stuff from there. Great job. Well thought out and executed.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

DMV paperwork/room rental/motorbike/vehicle buying/Travelers help
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #77683
O'Malley
O'Malley

Oddometer: 22
Hey Guys,

I know the Dr is in 'Delta Force" and 'Quantum of Solace,' anyone know of other movies she appears in? I saw a youtube video on dr and it mentioned Chuck Norris, also Steven Segal and Arnold. The second two I wasn't sure what movies were being referenced

Thanks,

O'Malley
O'Malley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:45 PM   #77684
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,689
Jammin' Jay has officially declared his 2.5 year global DR650 journey has ended. He has been an inspiration and fount of knowledge to many of us.

IMO, please stop over at Ride Reports or send him a message of thanks or congrats. He has earned it.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #77685
Indytriumph
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper Dan View Post

I've fiddled around with mounts etc and wheel is centred and all, but these are cheap aluminium bars but I did think I had a bit of strength in them.

Any suggestions to remedy.
I have used a pipe bender in the past with good results. In fact, I have a couple in my garage for that reason.
Indytriumph is offline   Reply With Quote