Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2013, 01:38 PM   #77821
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan207 View Post
OK, I'll bite. how would an idiot (OK, I'm not really an idiot, but its close enough for this conversation) go about checking this?

The bike has 75k miles on it so anything that can wear out could actually BE worn out.
I believe there is a section in the service manual that deals with bench testing the stator. What I recall is there are three yellow wires coming from the stator (one for each winding) that connect directly to the voltage regulator/rectifier. Unplug that connector and measure the resistance between each yellow wire from the stator and ground. I don't recall the actual target value in ohms (service manual) but they should all be the same or very close. If one of them is substantially different you have a problem.
thump! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:36 PM   #77822
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
A good battery can handle running in deficit for quite a while ... 2 or 3 hours usually. Also, once RPM are UP (or accessories are switched OFF) the charging system gets the battery back up to 100% in about 20 minutes. (from full discharge).
This can all also depend on how much wattage you're using. If you're barely running in deficit, you might get a lot more time from a battery.

Quote:
I've not rewound my Stator but if I ever get on the road again I would consider it to allow me use of more accessories to keep warm..
LED tail/brake, dash, and low-wattage CREE driving/fog lights could lower your wattage use even more with your HID headlight turned off. With the LED driving/fog lights, you could still be fairly visible too.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:04 PM   #77823
TaZ9
Ultimate Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Another high milage DR650?

Quote:
OK, I'll bite. how would an idiot (OK, I'm not really an idiot, but its close enough for this conversation) go about checking this?

The bike has 75k miles on it so anything that can wear out could actually BE worn out.
Is this 75K (75,000 mi) on your '06 Dr650? If so, can you give a listing of things you have had to repair or replace in all those miles?

I am on my second DR650 and doing my best to make this one last a long, long time.

Taz9
TaZ9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:31 PM   #77824
mantramoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
re. slow drain

I'll wait 'til y'all are done talking stators and ask about my oil question when your done... This stator thread is interesting though.
Marin/Sonoma County
mantrawines.com
mantramoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:15 AM   #77825
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
I've failed too ... plenty. Agree about No line. These days on a loaded bike I avoid such trails. These young Aussies are all in great shape and very experienced off road riders ... so they do very well even on the DR.

Did you know the DR650 will pull to 90 mph (indicated) in 4th gear? Stock gearing! It's the only way to really find out the bikes top speed. Shift into 5th at 90mph and get yer head down! Mine pulls to about 105 or so indicated ... probably 95 mph actual. (just a hint of tail wind)
Did you know my Bandit will pull 90 in second even with lower gearing and probably do it faster than my Dr could hit 50?

This is kind of what I meant. The DR isnt bad power wise for what it is, but its still an old tech thumper. It needs all the power tweaks it can get to play any kind of hotrod. Another thing to note is that many of you talk indicated and I'm talking actual since my vapor is spot on with my GPS. I personally find that my DR loves being one tooth down on the front sprocket. Better offroad, basically the same onroad except quicker off a light, and the only negatives are the engine works a bit harder and uses a bit more fuel
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:32 AM   #77826
TinMan207
Most often a lurker...

Oddometer: 1,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump! View Post
I believe there is a section in the service manual that deals with bench testing the stator. What I recall is there are three yellow wires coming from the stator (one for each winding) that connect directly to the voltage regulator/rectifier. Unplug that connector and measure the resistance between each yellow wire from the stator and ground. I don't recall the actual target value in ohms (service manual) but they should all be the same or very close. If one of them is substantially different you have a problem.

Sounds like I need to break into the engine for this? yep, that will have to wait a while. I appreciate the information, you guys never fail to amaze me with your collective knowledge, but cracking the seal on the engine isn't something I'm gonna attempt right now.

06 Suzuki DL650 (2 at the moment!) - 00 DR650
TinMan207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:51 AM   #77827
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,092
Quote:
Sounds like I need to break into the engine for this? yep, that will have to wait a while. I appreciate the information, you guys never fail to amaze me with your collective knowledge, but cracking the seal on the engine isn't something I'm gonna attempt right now.
Not unless you have to replace it. The connector plug is external somewhere around the airbox so you can check it without taking very much apart.
thump! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:31 AM   #77828
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantramoto View Post
I recently changed the oil on my DR650 2000 that now has about 25,000 miles. For the second time oil was trapped/pooled in the oil filter area and leaked out from there upon removing the oil filter cover. After warming the engine and draining the oil I remove the oil filter cover only to have oil gush out from there instead of draining down in to the crank case through the drain. This is a new development which coincidently coincides with lots of white smoke at start up (this smoke goes away after about 3 minutes - maybe a separate issue). I tried pushing a heavy duty zip tie down the drain to see if there was an obstruction of some kind and it actually did assist the draining. I thought that perhaps a loose nsu bolt but seems strange it would get caught there. I did take a good spill on the bike at speed and crushed one side of the oil cooler as well. Oil is getting darker than usual.

Any ideas would be awesome, thanks!
Even after you drain the sump you will have residual oil in the filter housing. I have my bike on my lift and I simply list the bike over on the starboard side a bit with the tie downs. I then crack open the oil filter cover and the oil drains out over the engine and not onto it. The I completely remove the cover and filter.
Otherwise, yes, you will have a bit of a mess.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:42 AM   #77829
Roamineye
n00b

Oddometer: 7
GSXR1300 Muffler And Wolfman Pannier Racks

Hello - I'd like to replace the stock muffler on my 08 DR650 with one from GSXR1300 using the Kientech kit, but need to know whether there are any issues with using this can with the latest version of the Wolfman pannier racks (3-point attachment to bike as opposed to the 2-point attachment of the older model racks). I already own the racks and want to make sure that there aren't any interference issues. Jesse at Kientech didn't know. Also, is there any issue with heat from the muffler causing problems with the panniers? Is a heat shield needed? If anyone has experience with this, I'd appreciate any insights. Thanks!
Old 06-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #77830
mantramoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Even after you drain the sump you will have residual oil in the filter housing. I have my bike on my lift and I simply list the bike over on the starboard side a bit with the tie downs. I then crack open the oil filter cover and the oil drains out over the engine and not onto it. The I completely remove the cover and filter.
Otherwise, yes, you will have a bit of a mess.
Thanks DP, but in the 25 to 30 times I have done this on the same bike I have never had this problem before. I plan to take apart the case and have a peek inside. Seems to be an obstruction because a drain is supposed to drain, right? I am suspecting nsu bolt or some such thing and if not, I will do the mod anyway. I'll post what I find but I can't do the job right away unfortunately. Thanks again.
Marin/Sonoma County
mantrawines.com
mantramoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #77831
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,220
Oh, I see, you have a slow drain from the sump ? That's a different story then.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:19 AM   #77832
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
Did you know my Bandit will pull 90 in second even with lower gearing and probably do it faster than my Dr could hit 50?

This is kind of what I meant. The DR isnt bad power wise for what it is, but its still an old tech thumper. It needs all the power tweaks it can get to play any kind of hotrod. Another thing to note is that many of you talk indicated and I'm talking actual since my vapor is spot on with my GPS. I personally find that my DR loves being one tooth down on the front sprocket. Better offroad, basically the same onroad except quicker off a light, and the only negatives are the engine works a bit harder and uses a bit more fuel
Spot on! On longer rides with Off road on the menu I always run my 14T front sprocket ... and really not much of a trade off running on road.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:28 AM   #77833
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantramoto View Post
Thanks DP, but in the 25 to 30 times I have done this on the same bike I have never had this problem before. I plan to take apart the case and have a peek inside. Seems to be an obstruction because a drain is supposed to drain, right? I am suspecting nsu bolt or some such thing and if not, I will do the mod anyway. I'll post what I find but I can't do the job right away unfortunately. Thanks again.
Pretty normal to find oil behind the filter cover. To lessen the amount,
Try this:
Drain main engine oil when HOT. After 5 minutes of initial drain, lean bike way over left, then back to center, let drain, then way over right, back to center, let drain. Repeat. That should have got most of it! (be sure to move your drain pan to catch all oil as you lean bike over!)

Now when you crack the filter cover you'll have less oil there making a mess. There will always be some, but less. I made a custom plastic "catcher" ramp out of gallon milk jug, I slip it under the filter cover to catch most of the run off. Rags help too! 77 K miles! Impressive indeed!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:30 AM   #77834
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,920
Quote:
Spot on! On longer rides with Off road on the menu I always run my 14T front sprocket ... and really not much of a trade off running on road.
I run the 14T all the time. I've never felt the need to use the 15T.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #77835
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I run the 14T all the time. I've never felt the need to use the 15T.
Try running on some of the highways in the west us for hours traveling. Unless you run 70 youll be a hood ornament and 1 tooth down at 70 for hours is spinning the motor pretty hard. I'm not even talking interstate which I avoid like the plague!

Generally I agree with you though..
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote