Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #77821
mantramoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Even after you drain the sump you will have residual oil in the filter housing. I have my bike on my lift and I simply list the bike over on the starboard side a bit with the tie downs. I then crack open the oil filter cover and the oil drains out over the engine and not onto it. The I completely remove the cover and filter.
Otherwise, yes, you will have a bit of a mess.
Thanks DP, but in the 25 to 30 times I have done this on the same bike I have never had this problem before. I plan to take apart the case and have a peek inside. Seems to be an obstruction because a drain is supposed to drain, right? I am suspecting nsu bolt or some such thing and if not, I will do the mod anyway. I'll post what I find but I can't do the job right away unfortunately. Thanks again.
Marin/Sonoma County
mantrawines.com
mantramoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #77822
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,383
Oh, I see, you have a slow drain from the sump ? That's a different story then.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #77823
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
Did you know my Bandit will pull 90 in second even with lower gearing and probably do it faster than my Dr could hit 50?

This is kind of what I meant. The DR isnt bad power wise for what it is, but its still an old tech thumper. It needs all the power tweaks it can get to play any kind of hotrod. Another thing to note is that many of you talk indicated and I'm talking actual since my vapor is spot on with my GPS. I personally find that my DR loves being one tooth down on the front sprocket. Better offroad, basically the same onroad except quicker off a light, and the only negatives are the engine works a bit harder and uses a bit more fuel
Spot on! On longer rides with Off road on the menu I always run my 14T front sprocket ... and really not much of a trade off running on road.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:28 PM   #77824
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantramoto View Post
Thanks DP, but in the 25 to 30 times I have done this on the same bike I have never had this problem before. I plan to take apart the case and have a peek inside. Seems to be an obstruction because a drain is supposed to drain, right? I am suspecting nsu bolt or some such thing and if not, I will do the mod anyway. I'll post what I find but I can't do the job right away unfortunately. Thanks again.
Pretty normal to find oil behind the filter cover. To lessen the amount,
Try this:
Drain main engine oil when HOT. After 5 minutes of initial drain, lean bike way over left, then back to center, let drain, then way over right, back to center, let drain. Repeat. That should have got most of it! (be sure to move your drain pan to catch all oil as you lean bike over!)

Now when you crack the filter cover you'll have less oil there making a mess. There will always be some, but less. I made a custom plastic "catcher" ramp out of gallon milk jug, I slip it under the filter cover to catch most of the run off. Rags help too! 77 K miles! Impressive indeed!
Old 06-22-2013, 12:30 PM   #77825
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Spot on! On longer rides with Off road on the menu I always run my 14T front sprocket ... and really not much of a trade off running on road.
I run the 14T all the time. I've never felt the need to use the 15T.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:31 PM   #77826
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I run the 14T all the time. I've never felt the need to use the 15T.
Try running on some of the highways in the west us for hours traveling. Unless you run 70 youll be a hood ornament and 1 tooth down at 70 for hours is spinning the motor pretty hard. I'm not even talking interstate which I avoid like the plague!

Generally I agree with you though..
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:45 PM   #77827
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamineye View Post
Hello - I'd like to replace the stock muffler on my 08 DR650 with one from GSXR1300 using the Kientech kit, but need to know whether there are any issues with using this can with the latest version of the Wolfman pannier racks (3-point attachment to bike as opposed to the 2-point attachment of the older model racks). I already own the racks and want to make sure that there aren't any interference issues. Jesse at Kientech didn't know. Also, is there any issue with heat from the muffler causing problems with the panniers? Is a heat shield needed? If anyone has experience with this, I'd appreciate any insights. Thanks!
I am pretty sure it will work, but I'm not certain. I have wolfman racks (3 point) and a keintech mid pipe and it fits great, but I have a 35f0 gsxr muffler. You might ask Jesse what the difference in size is between my muffler and your busa muffler. I know its longer which doesn't matter, but I'm not sure if its bigger around nor do I know if its routed the same.

Let me know if you want a picture of clearances or whatever. I have put 10k miles down and no heat issues..
Old 06-22-2013, 01:51 PM   #77828
243Win
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamineye View Post
Hello - I'd like to replace the stock muffler on my 08 DR650 with one from GSXR1300 using the Kientech kit, but need to know whether there are any issues with using this can with the latest version of the Wolfman pannier racks (3-point attachment to bike as opposed to the 2-point attachment of the older model racks). I already own the racks and want to make sure that there aren't any interference issues. Jesse at Kientech didn't know. Also, is there any issue with heat from the muffler causing problems with the panniers? Is a heat shield needed? If anyone has experience with this, I'd appreciate any insights. Thanks!
I just went and took a look at my bike, it has the busa can and access to the area where the second gen wolfman rack would connect is better vs the stock can.

I have two DR's side by side, both with the older, two point attachment racks, one with stock can, one with busa and as I said, there is more clearance with the busa can. I'd doubt you'll have any heat issues.

10 State Trip 2010
2011, $1000 in the pocket, how far can we go
243Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:59 PM   #77829
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,243
Quote:
Try running on some of the highways in the west us for hours traveling. Unless you run 70 youll be a hood ornament and 1 tooth down at 70 for hours is spinning the motor pretty hard. I'm not even talking interstate which I avoid like the plague!

Why would I ever ride on any kind of slab like that on a motorcycle? That's why I have a truck, to avoid mind numbing crap riding. I ride for the enjoyment, not to slap on mile after mind numbing mile.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #77830
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Why would I ever ride on any kind of slab like that on a motorcycle? That's why I have a truck, to avoid mind numbing crap riding. I ride for the enjoyment, not to slap on mile after mind numbing mile.
Because in the west even the back roads can be that way unless you plan a trip down to the last detail. Hence my comment on avoiding interstates.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #77831
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,181
Quote:

Come to south Florida... I had my DR running at exactly 100 MPH (indicated, probably 92?) to stay in the fast lane last night to get up to where the party was.

A 15t is barely passable here, and a 14t will get ya killed. I run a 16 tooth.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #77832
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Come to south Florida... I had my DR running at exactly 100 MPH (indicated, probably 92?) to stay in the fast lane last night to get up to where the party was.

A 15t is barely passable here, and a 14t will get ya killed. I run a 16 tooth.
I don't doubt it. In Pensacola its even necessary, and pcola is childsplay compared to down south
Old 06-22-2013, 02:27 PM   #77833
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Pretty much agree with that sentiment, I'm no fan of mindless and inane Iron Butt drones doing circles around the USA. But I hear from IBR guys that it's quite addicting. (I get that)

But even a well planned long tour composed of great and challenging areas can involve LOTS of long miles on the highway. I use interstate when it's the smartest choice. Depends of lots of factors: Time, pace, schedule, riding partners, bike, weather, problems.

Locally I can be greatly entertained by the roads right out my back door. Some of the best in the nation. But I like to travel and get out of my comfort zone ... hence half dozen solo forays into BackWater Mexico and Central America. Rides like those can throw up all kinds on unexpected challenges.

Sometimes you have no choice but to ride all night, in pouring rain on interstate type highways. The DR does it all well for me.

For high speed long runs I prefer stock gearing; cruises pretty nice at
indicated 75 to 80 mph. Just take your mind elsewhere on the boring stretches. All part of travel on a bike.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:00 PM   #77834
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
This makes me wonder...Why ride a DR650, instead of some 300lb enduro with snappier power delivery?

Sometimes, people actually want to go somewhere, and get there fairly quickly, easily, and economically. Bringing a truck can be more costly, more complicated, or more time-consuming. Taking secondary roads, just because you're on a bike, can be a LOT more time-consuming if you're trying to get somewhere far. If you don't have a lot of time to blow getting to and from a target riding destination, riding slab is the way to go if you don't want to mess with a truck or trailer.

Crap riding? Some people aren't bothered by riding a moto, even a thumper, on the slab. My DR now runs slab nicer than my streetbike, IMO. Besides, I have music, whether riding or caging, so I'd usually rather just be riding if the weather is decent. Mind-numbing is more about you and your mindset.

If I wanted to throw my bike in a truck or on a trailer to go any real distance, I'd have gotten a sub-300lb bike with good suspension right out of the box...instead of a chunky DR650 with mushy boingers.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #77835
shu

Oddometer: 992
I'm no fan of Interstate riding either, but when you're trying to beat a winter snow storm out of Colorado on your way south towards Mexico, it's really the only choice (Unless you're into trucks and trailers- I'm not, I'm into riding motorcycles. Whatever, different strokes for different folks.)

Anyway, I'll put the stock 15T on for long mileage, high speed days, and then switch to the 14T when the roads get smaller, twistier, and dirtier.
It's easy to switch out, so why not? I prefer to stop at McDonald's, get a cup of coffee and relax and enjoy the sprocket switching in the parking lot. Even at that it only takes 20 minutes to get it done.

For most of my riding I find the 14T is an improvement. It makes the bike faster and more responsive where I need it to be, for low speed dirt and for twisty 2nd and 3rd gear roads.

...............shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote