ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #77821
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NWA
Oddometer: 9,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
Try running on some of the highways in the west us for hours traveling. Unless you run 70 youll be a hood ornament and 1 tooth down at 70 for hours is spinning the motor pretty hard. I'm not even talking interstate which I avoid like the plague!

Generally I agree with you though..
Why would I ever ride on any kind of slab like that on a motorcycle? That's why I have a truck, to avoid mind numbing crap riding. I ride for the enjoyment, not to slap on mile after mind numbing mile.
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #77822
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Austin, Texas
Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Why would I ever ride on any kind of slab like that on a motorcycle? That's why I have a truck, to avoid mind numbing crap riding. I ride for the enjoyment, not to slap on mile after mind numbing mile.
Because in the west even the back roads can be that way unless you plan a trip down to the last detail. Hence my comment on avoiding interstates.
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #77823
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer
 
Mambo Dave's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: 11 ft. AMSL
Oddometer: 5,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
Try running on some of the highways in the west us for hours traveling. Unless you run 70 youll be a hood ornament and 1 tooth down at 70 for hours is spinning the motor pretty hard. I'm not even talking interstate which I avoid like the plague!

Generally I agree with you though..
Come to south Florida... I had my DR running at exactly 100 MPH (indicated, probably 92?) to stay in the fast lane last night to get up to where the party was.

A 15t is barely passable here, and a 14t will get ya killed. I run a 16 tooth.
__________________
"After reading through this thread I've come to the conclusion
that more people cruise the internet looking for reasons why
X bike won't work in Y scenario rather than actually riding
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:22 PM   #77824
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Austin, Texas
Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Come to south Florida... I had my DR running at exactly 100 MPH (indicated, probably 92?) to stay in the fast lane last night to get up to where the party was.

A 15t is barely passable here, and a 14t will get ya killed. I run a 16 tooth.
I don't doubt it. In Pensacola its even necessary, and pcola is childsplay compared to down south
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:27 PM   #77825
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Why would I ever ride on any kind of slab like that on a motorcycle? That's why I have a truck, to avoid mind numbing crap riding. I ride for the enjoyment, not to slap on mile after mind numbing mile.
Pretty much agree with that sentiment, I'm no fan of mindless and inane Iron Butt drones doing circles around the USA. But I hear from IBR guys that it's quite addicting. (I get that)

But even a well planned long tour composed of great and challenging areas can involve LOTS of long miles on the highway. I use interstate when it's the smartest choice. Depends of lots of factors: Time, pace, schedule, riding partners, bike, weather, problems.

Locally I can be greatly entertained by the roads right out my back door. Some of the best in the nation. But I like to travel and get out of my comfort zone ... hence half dozen solo forays into BackWater Mexico and Central America. Rides like those can throw up all kinds on unexpected challenges.

Sometimes you have no choice but to ride all night, in pouring rain on interstate type highways. The DR does it all well for me.

For high speed long runs I prefer stock gearing; cruises pretty nice at
indicated 75 to 80 mph. Just take your mind elsewhere on the boring stretches. All part of travel on a bike.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:00 PM   #77826
Kommando
Beastly Adventurer
 
Kommando's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Spacecoaster FL
Oddometer: 7,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Why would I ever ride on any kind of slab like that on a motorcycle? That's why I have a truck, to avoid mind numbing crap riding. I ride for the enjoyment, not to slap on mile after mind numbing mile.
This makes me wonder...Why ride a DR650, instead of some 300lb enduro with snappier power delivery?

Sometimes, people actually want to go somewhere, and get there fairly quickly, easily, and economically. Bringing a truck can be more costly, more complicated, or more time-consuming. Taking secondary roads, just because you're on a bike, can be a LOT more time-consuming if you're trying to get somewhere far. If you don't have a lot of time to blow getting to and from a target riding destination, riding slab is the way to go if you don't want to mess with a truck or trailer.

Crap riding? Some people aren't bothered by riding a moto, even a thumper, on the slab. My DR now runs slab nicer than my streetbike, IMO. Besides, I have music, whether riding or caging, so I'd usually rather just be riding if the weather is decent. Mind-numbing is more about you and your mindset.

If I wanted to throw my bike in a truck or on a trailer to go any real distance, I'd have gotten a sub-300lb bike with good suspension right out of the box...instead of a chunky DR650 with mushy boingers.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #77827
shu
...
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Colorado
Oddometer: 1,028
I'm no fan of Interstate riding either, but when you're trying to beat a winter snow storm out of Colorado on your way south towards Mexico, it's really the only choice (Unless you're into trucks and trailers- I'm not, I'm into riding motorcycles. Whatever, different strokes for different folks.)

Anyway, I'll put the stock 15T on for long mileage, high speed days, and then switch to the 14T when the roads get smaller, twistier, and dirtier.
It's easy to switch out, so why not? I prefer to stop at McDonald's, get a cup of coffee and relax and enjoy the sprocket switching in the parking lot. Even at that it only takes 20 minutes to get it done.

For most of my riding I find the 14T is an improvement. It makes the bike faster and more responsive where I need it to be, for low speed dirt and for twisty 2nd and 3rd gear roads.

...............shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #77828
Cyath
Impetulant Ignoramus
 
Cyath's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Northern Cal
Oddometer: 432
Riding a motorcycle makes me happy, driving does not.

If you find any riding boring, you are missing half the fun.
Leave the truck behind and RIDE THERE.
__________________
"You think I can remember what you posted a year ago? I can't remember what kind of beer I drank for breakfast." -SScratch
'10 KTM 990 Adventure aka The Spork

Cyath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #77829
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NWA
Oddometer: 9,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
This makes me wonder...Why ride a DR650, instead of some 300lb enduro with snappier power delivery?

Sometimes, people actually want to go somewhere, and get there fairly quickly, easily, and economically. Bringing a truck can be more costly, more complicated, or more time-consuming. Taking secondary roads, just because you're on a bike, can be a LOT more time-consuming if you're trying to get somewhere far. If you don't have a lot of time to blow getting to and from a target riding destination, riding slab is the way to go if you don't want to mess with a truck or trailer.

Crap riding? Some people aren't bothered by riding a moto, even a thumper, on the slab. My DR now runs slab nicer than my streetbike, IMO. Besides, I have music, whether riding or caging, so I'd usually rather just be riding if the weather is decent. Mind-numbing is more about you and your mindset.

If I wanted to throw my bike in a truck or on a trailer to go any real distance, I'd have gotten a sub-300lb bike with good suspension right out of the box...instead of a chunky DR650 with mushy boingers.
Actually, I've got both. Did 950 miles on the NWAT this last week on my 690. Like I said, I ride for the sheer enjoyment of riding, not to pile on mileage. Mind numbing is about droning on boring pavement in a straight line for miles on end. That's crap riding regardless of the bike you're on. I guess my mindset is I don't want to be bored.

Another issue for me is I get so little life out of tires I sure as hell don't want to waste them on boring riding. Even with my DR I can't get 1K miles out of a good knobbie. I'd have had to replace my rear tire twice if I rode up to WI and back. So I trailer my bike to the fun stuff rather then ride crap to the fun stuff.
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:58 PM   #77830
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NWA
Oddometer: 9,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyath View Post
Riding a motorcycle makes me happy, driving does not.

If you find any riding boring, you are missing half the fun.
Leave the truck behind and RIDE THERE.
No thanks.
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #77831
John E
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Oddometer: 846
If you're bored...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Actually, I've got both. Did 950 miles on the NWAT this last week on my 690. Like I said, I ride for the sheer enjoyment of riding, not to pile on mileage. Mind numbing is about droning on boring pavement in a straight line for miles on end. That's crap riding regardless of the bike you're on. I guess my mindset is I don't want to be bored.

Another issue for me is I get so little life out of tires I sure as hell don't want to waste them on boring riding. Even with my DR I can't get 1K miles out of a good knobbie. I'd have had to replace my rear tire twice if I rode up to WI and back. So I trailer my bike to the fun stuff rather then ride crap to the fun stuff.
while riding a motorcycle, you're doing it wrong.
__________________
one life, do what you should...
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #77832
Kommando
Beastly Adventurer
 
Kommando's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Spacecoaster FL
Oddometer: 7,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Actually, I've got both. Did 950 miles on the NWAT this last week on my 690. Like I said, I ride for the sheer enjoyment of riding, not to pile on mileage. Mind numbing is about droning on boring pavement in a straight line for miles on end. That's crap riding regardless of the bike you're on. I guess my mindset is I don't want to be bored.

Another issue for me is I get so little life out of tires I sure as hell don't want to waste them on boring riding. Even with my DR I can't get 1K miles out of a good knobbie. I'd have had to replace my rear tire twice if I rode up to WI and back. So I trailer my bike to the fun stuff rather then ride crap to the fun stuff.
Why ride a big dualsport then? Why not a 250-500cc enduro that weighs considerably less?
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #77833
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
OFF ToPic

Quote:
Originally Posted by John E View Post
" ...said James in my opinion, there's nothing in this world beats a 52' Vincent and a red headed girl..."

"1952 Vincent Black Lightning"
Richard Thompson
A truly great song ... here is my favorite version (by Del McCoury band)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW-w0KgE-8s

Or the studio version with better quality:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fpwlae4ZYc
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #77834
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Austin, Texas
Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
Why ride a big dualsport then? Why not a 250-500cc enduro that weighs considerably less?
+1

Why not get a KTM 525 exc or something? Not trying to beat you down Albie. Just saying.. I can ride the Dr or my bandit on long flat roads for hours and enjoy it. My focus shifts from scenery to engine to slight movement by wind gust to sound to air, etc. Everything about a bike just speaks to me when I travel, so for some of us a 15t or even a 16t makes sense when things straighten out and were trying to spare the motor

I love my bandit as much as the Dr, but obviously in a completely different way
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:08 PM   #77835
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NWA
Oddometer: 9,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
Why ride a big dualsport then? Why not a 250-500cc enduro that weighs considerably less?
I do. Why limit yourself to one bike?
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015